^^^TRACKDAY, Mallory – Saturday 9th November @ SOLD OUT^^^

Explore the limits of the car and driver, and enjoy the car the way it was meant to be driven. Open pitlane track days, car control days and driver training. The car is the star!
Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: ^^^TRACKDAY, Mallory – Saturday 9th November @ SOLD OUT^^^

Post by Ainmhidh » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Nigel, did you know you were responsible for nudging the cones out of place along the gravel trap after "Devil's Elbow?" I was sitting in Haydn's passenger seat as we followed you around the track and watched you skim down the edge of the kerb and shunt them back a couple of feet. Don't think you touched them, just the draught as you passed by.
These users thanked the author Ainmhidh for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:53 pm)
Alan | Membership Secretary | 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RR d585s, Magnecor leads...)

ChrisHolmes
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Post by ChrisHolmes » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Nigel leaves quite a wake behind him.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post (total 2):
Ainmhidh (Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:39 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:53 pm)
Supercharged
Racing Beat Alloy flywheel
Exedy Stg 1 Clutch
White Line ARBs
Tein Monosport Coilovers
Speedline diamond cut alloy wheels
Racing Brake 4 pot calipers, slotted discs & alloy bells
Racing Beat Custom front bumper, grills & Side Skirts
Mazdaspeed Rear Spoiler (Customised)
Rear Diffuser
Vented Carbon Bonnet
SOHN Adaptor
Custom Leather interior & Boot trim
Adaptronic ECU

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ainmhidh » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:39 pm

okay - apparently my entire footage from Mallory is a shade over two hours long, stitched together. Sure I can trim a good chunk out of that from the pit and paddock outs and ins, and there's probably some audio from me that nobody needs to hear!
These users thanked the author Ainmhidh for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:54 pm)
Alan | Membership Secretary | 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RR d585s, Magnecor leads...)

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member

^^^TRACKDAY, Mallory – Saturday 9th November @ SOLD OUT^^^

Post by GreySilver Beast » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:55 pm

I know I skimmed the cones as I drove past, as I saw them move in the driver's door mirror :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ainmhidh on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing? what editing?! ;-)
GSB-TDU - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar - Gang Bang Car Club - NPT Website - GSB III 03/08/13 - Present
S/D-C/limits - RX-8,3MPS,RX-8 R3,GT86 =17 Skid Pan =1 Go Karting =1 Cars Driven =183
3 MPS MKII T/D = 6
RX-8 R3 T/D = 5 + 7 session's
GT86 T/D = 55.5 + 31 session's
Total T/Days Jan 2011 = 66.5 + 38 session's

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 am

The things I neglect to get my track fix; spent all the time since arriving back in Hong Kong sorting out my property issue which I really should not have neglected, which because of its ramifications means I will have to miss Oulton ](*,)

Anyhooo, Mallory…..

THE CAR WAS TROUBLE FREE :yeah:

I set the water alarm at 98 and it would activate but it would also stop after a short while, great, sorted; almost exactly a year since Rockingham. However, the handling definitely needs sorting; the suspension is still the original but there is a set of Ohlins ready to be fitted, just have to find the time to get them to the UK as they are at my place in Southern France and get them fitted. Will ask Ray to give me a hand setting them up at Brands during the spring if he has the time. Ray also mentioned the brakes were a bit weak, will have to have them checked. Also, learned that the Pirelli P7 Zeros are not very good in the wet, will have to revert back to Rainsports.

What let the day down was the track behaviour (more about that later) and the cold. I had a bad time feeling the cold even having two layers of thermals on; I am getting old. Great turn out and you guys were great.
Ian was an angel lugging all that gear for us to shelter under, really helped.

Thanks to John for picking me up from airport in the freezing cold; used two Costa coffees as hand-warmers waiting for him. Hope I did not bore him with my inane babbling.
Thanks to Neil for delivering the car to the track all the way from Wales; you guys, no words really :notworthy:

A word about the track etiquette: I have been doing Mallory for a long time and that was as bad as I can remember; it was not the number of cars on track per se, it was the number of drivers on their first-time Mallory visit. When the number of hands went up when Colin asked if this was their first time at Mallory, I was shocked. Mallory, despite its short lap is a technical place and needs drivers to be “Mallory experienced” and cooperative for it to work and on Saturday we had neither. Did not get to do Gerards unhindered once, NOT ONCE :angry: . It was horrible out there; six cars in front, six cars behind, some of the strangest lines being taken around Gerards, two abreast through the Esses, one on lap I was behind a three-car abreast exit at Gerards; crazy. Those blind and blinkerd so and so in the Jaguar, Vectra, and those two Clios deserve a special mention. I was going to go and complain to Colin but decided it would do no good.
Also, Mallory being a hidden gem, usually a lot of locals sign up who then leave about lunch time leaving the track quiet for the afternoon session; this did not happen much this time. This was the first time I have left a Mallory track day early.

I just ask people not to be put off going to Mallory again, most of the time it is a glorious place to drive :race: .

Anyway, start of another busy day, at least the temp here is a respectable 25; see you at Brands.

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post (total 5):
GreySilver Beast (Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:13 am) • casey (Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:21 am) • Vj4sothername (Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:35 am) • Ainmhidh (Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:06 am) • ChrisHolmes (Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 am)

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:19 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:41 pm
Having watched a few of these vids, and previously only gone around Mallory on a bike, here're my observations:-
- the back "straight" seems to be a different shape than I remember
- the hairpin isn't as tight as it was
- the track surface is in much better condition.
but then that would have been nearly 20 years ago :shock:

I was also surprised, given the general lack of track manners, not to see more (any?) swapping of paint, or far worse, between cars.
The back straight has been changed slightly on and off about 3 times since the 80’s; they have also increased the side loop near the entry to the Esses.

The hairpin has not changed a jot since the 50’s; unfortunately, one cannot spectate from the centre section like one could in the old days.

The track surface is the best improvement they have ever done; in the old days there used to be 3 different tarmac surfaces around Gerards which used to cause so many hairy moments; the Devil’s Elbow used to have two different surfaces which really was lethal in the wet.

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:01 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:12 pm)

V8 Power
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by V8 Power » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:18 pm

When I was at Mallory earlier in the year (when my car was running ok :x ) I found the hairpin really didn’t suit the RX8 as it seemed to bog down in 2nd gear. It was exaggerated in my car as it has even less torque than standard low down.
I would think Chris’s car fared better out of there with the supercharged grunt though.
Peripheral Ported intake and exhaust
Carbon seats
Sabelt 6 point harnesses
Direct cold air feed
Tein Monosport coilovers
Lexan front windows with sliders
Carbon Adjustable wing
Feed gearknob
Axial short shift
OMP suede wheel with quick release
RE Amemiya front splitter & canards
Autec lightweight alloys
Whiteline ARB's
Stripped interior
Aurora blue R3

ChrisHolmes
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Correct Graham, coming out the hairpin was fine in second, if somewhat lairy a few times! Entry was fun to as the video shows.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post (total 2):
Vj4sothername (Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:00 pm) • V8 Power (Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:06 pm)
Supercharged
Exedy Stg 1 Clutch
White Line ARBs
Tein Monosport Coilovers
Rear Diffuser
Vented Carbon Bonnet
SOHN Adaptor
Adaptronic ECU

Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rotary Potato » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm

I found the exit from the hairpin to be a lot more eye opening than in the RX8. Previously there was no thought involved - mash the accelerator as early as you can and the lack of low down torque means all was fine.

In the Boxster I tried the same technique only to find considerable amounts of opposite lock were immediately required to correct my hamfootedness! 😂

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:32 pm

That just means you were in too high a gear in the 8 [-X
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by PeteH » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:48 pm

The only other option was first Dave, and I'd like to see anyone try to get the power down in first. :shock:

I've never used first on any track. Actually, this is a situation where running the 5.1 diff ratio is a major advantage. Pulling out of the hairpins at Snetterton, Croft and Oulton Park was never a problem for me. I believe Mallory is even tighter than those though (I've never driven Mallory :( ). It was clear in Malcolm's video just how well Chris' car pulled out of the hairpin (although the advantage at the top end looked smaller).
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:09 pm)
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ainmhidh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:03 pm

I found, in those conditions, I mostly still had to feather the accelerator out of the hairpin in 2nd in the R3 otherwise the backend would twitch and catch itself

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:06 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:32 pm
Dave, there is no way you can use 1st [-X

If you want to know why Mallory has this fixation about tyre squealing noise it is because of the hairpin.

The great things about the hairpin is that it has a positive camber and it is very tight so the way to get any kind of decent exit speed was to come in much too hot on the high side and turn in late and hard, inducing oversteer and mashing the throttle. The camber gave traction and stopped the slide going too far and the oversteer pointed the car in the right direction and from there it was just a matter of throttle control to keep traction and keep the car going forward. However, this produces a lot of tyre squeal and I mean a lot and if car after car does this it can become deafening hence Mallory residents rising up on mass and putting a stop to it.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm)

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:24 pm

That hairpin is definitely a 2nd gear corner. I suspect the difference you may have found rotary potato between the 8 and the boxster may have been partly to do with the conditions. First thing in the day that hairpin still had some frozen fog on it, and from mid afternoon it was very, very wet.

Anyone know how long Javelin photos normally take to go up? Just checked their Flickr account and they're still not up.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 pm)

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm

I had an email from Javelin today saying the photos would be up in the "next couple of days".
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 4):
ChrisHolmes (Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm) • New Duke (Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm) • Vj4sothername (Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 pm)
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

Vj4sothername
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Vj4sothername » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm

casey wrote:I had an email from Javelin today saying the photos would be up in the "next couple of days".
Thanks I've been checking 3 times a day!
S1 - 231 - brilliant black
Feb 08 built,
Fake Toyosport back box,
Dents,
Scratches,
Replacement engine,
Smiles

Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:32 pm
Nope. Would have been instantly into the limiter if I dropped it to first, and the time taken changing up to second would have taken more time than the moment of bogging as it came into the powerband.

Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

New Duke wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:24 pm
That hairpin is definitely a 2nd gear corner. I suspect the difference you may have found rotary potato between the 8 and the boxster may have been partly to do with the conditions. First thing in the day that hairpin still had some frozen fog on it, and from mid afternoon it was very, very wet.

Anyone know how long Javelin photos normally take to go up? Just checked their Flickr account and they're still not up.
I've done a trackday at Mallory in the 8 in January ... which was both very cold & very wet! So don't think it's the conditions. Most likely a big glug of low down torque & no electronic aids at all (Porka has no traction control and no stability control ... bar the finesse of your right foot).
These users thanked the author Rotary Potato for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:12 pm) • New Duke (Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 pm)

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Rotary Potato wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm
I found the exit from the hairpin to be a lot more eye opening than in the RX8. Previously there was no thought involved - mash the accelerator as early as you can and the lack of low down torque means all was fine.
Based on this I thought you were exiting in 3rd, as you should be able to get around and exit with enough speed to be within the power in 2nd.

Maybe that was the issue, right gear just not enough apex/exit speed, not helped by the conditions...
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ainmhidh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:43 pm

not helped by the traffic at times... from memory, down to 15mph or less on a few occasions

Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:54 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 pm
Rotary Potato wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm
Based on this I thought you were exiting in 3rd, as you should be able to get around and exit with enough speed to be within the power in 2nd.

Maybe that was the issue, right gear just not enough apex/exit speed, not helped by the conditions...
Entirely possible - I found I was apexing a tad too quick for 1st to be of any use and a tad below the real pull in 2nd. Small margins - I'd have considered it a very brisk exit on the road, but just a tiny hesitation before really pulling through 2nd.

From a few passanger rides I had on the day, it might have been I was a few mph shy of where the limit was ... obviously a lack of skill & testicular fortitude on my behalf ... but practice makes perfect! :D
These users thanked the author Rotary Potato for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:13 pm)

mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:18 pm

PeteH wrote:The only other option was first Dave, and I'd like to see anyone try to get the power down in first. :shock:

I've never used first on any track. Actually, this is a situation where running the 5.1 diff ratio is a major advantage. Pulling out of the hairpins at Snetterton, Croft and Oulton Park was never a problem for me. I believe Mallory is even tighter than those though (I've never driven Mallory :( ). It was clear in Malcolm's video just how well Chris' car pulled out of the hairpin (although the advantage at the top end looked smaller).
Pete
Your 5.1 diff would be perfect for that hairpin . Last time up there when my car broke I went out with Matt ( streetdragster) . He was running 4.77 diff with 17 inch wheels which he equated to a 5.4 diff which I know you questioned . Nevertheless at that time I was using a 4.4 standard diff with 5 speed box . On semi slicks I was able to hit first on the way out which was a good pull over the brow and basically change up at the same point as Matt did yet a gear behind if that makes any sense ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vj4sothername
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Vj4sothername » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Javelin have posted the pictures up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/javelintr ... 1752388757
These users thanked the author Vj4sothername for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:34 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:06 pm)
Feb 08 built,
Fake Toyosport back box,
Dents,
Scratches,
Replacement engine,
Smiles

ChrisHolmes
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:47 pm

Wow! I got the cover picture! The traffic congestion clearly shows in the photos.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post (total 3):
Vj4sothername (Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:59 pm) • nightfire10 (Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:22 pm) • bigpete (Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 pm)
Supercharged
Exedy Stg 1 Clutch
White Line ARBs
Tein Monosport Coilovers
Rear Diffuser
Vented Carbon Bonnet
SOHN Adaptor
Adaptronic ECU

Vj4sothername
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Vj4sothername » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:00 pm

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:47 pm
Wow! I got the cover picture!
I saw but didn't want to spoil the surprise! Congratulations!
These users thanked the author Vj4sothername for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:01 pm) • New Duke (Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:11 am)
Feb 08 built,
Fake Toyosport back box,
Dents,
Scratches,
Replacement engine,
Smiles

Return to “Car Activity and Track days”