Forge Action Day 2018 | Saturday 8th September | Castle Combe
From non-stop track action to huge club displays and some of the biggest names in the performance scene, this is not to be missed!

Track Action / Drifting Demos / Passenger Rides / RX-8 Club Stand / Show & Shine Competition / Forge Motorsport Exhibitor Village
Tickets available in the Club shop now!

Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

A chance to introduce yourself...
User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi,

I'm new hehe :D and a little bit too excited about getting an RX8!

I feel like I've found a car that's a best kept secret of looks/performance/interesting/great community and good value too :)

I've been looking for a second car on and off for a while.. We don’t realllllly need one however there are times when we could do with a second car… and the wifey said "maybe get something a bit more fun since it'll be your car…" Could you just say that again honey into the mic? :)

Long story short, I saw the RX7 Wheeler-dealer episode which lead me to the more affordable (available/practical?) RX8!

I don’t know why but I'm really drawn to the car and scouring the internet for vehicles and RX8 information… I have now spent the last few days consuming the forums here too!

What an awesome community by the way! :)

My focus will be getting a clean car, great body/chassis, minimal rust, that’s either cheap and needs an engine rebuild or with a recent rebuild. I'm hoping that £3500 will be enough to get me running…

Having read some of the projects here, the buyers guide, forum guide…, and about 200 other posts I'm moulding a picture of what I think I'm after and hope you can help with some questions I've not been able to answer myself.

Qu: I have two boys 10&5: can you get booster seats into those rear seats?!
Qu: Is there any reason not to go for the 230Hp version (as opposed to the 192)? (the costs seem similar…)
Qu: Is it okay to go for a pre-Mar2006 car? (I resent paying the tax man another £250 for no good reason)

I just need to make sure that I don’t get too excited and buy something without my sensible hat on lol.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Best regards,
Mark

p.s. Planet Bob is a reference from the awesome cartoon movie Titan AE :)

User avatar
SeeJay
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 3376
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:17 pm
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black
Location: Nottingham
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by SeeJay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi Bob, :welcome: to the forum..

The key thing is to do your homework here,before jumping in,no matter how excited you are :!: ;)

There's plenty to learn about these cars,so start reading your way thru' these FAQ's ..Buyer's guide first,obviously,
and feel free to ask any questions before parting with your money ;)

Buyer's Guide

Ignition

Oil

Compression

Starting & Switching off

Identifying Genuine Coils

It's also good to become acquainted with a specialist,so take a look at our Map of rotary specialists


Do take a look at members' cars for sale :thumleft:
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads

Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 9:00 pm
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black
Location: Maidenhead
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Nickp47 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:47 pm

Bob, you look a bit young to drive, are you sure you will reach the pedals?

njkmr
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1279
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm
Location: Lancs
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by njkmr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Theres a black Kuro which looks real tidy for sale on here at £1000 I think.
Needs an engine rebuild by the look of it but ,throw a couple of grand at it and you have a fantastic car for £3500 ish

goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:12 pm
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black
Location: oswestry shropshire
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by goodeggbob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 pm

hi bob ,it sounds as though you have taken all doubt out of the equation by opting for a non runner or a recent rebuild.either way you will be covered by a pretty good engine warranty if done by one of the reputable specialists on here.from my own experience and proximity to you i would opt for lc rotary in kent.having chosen one of the above options your emphasis should be on bodywork, chassis,running gear etc,knowing that the engine is in good hands which i find extremely reassuring.keep us posted,regards,rob. :thumleft:

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Nickp47 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:47 pm
Bob, you look a bit young to drive, are you sure you will reach the pedals?
It's amazing how quick they grow up.. I must have set that gravatar almost 10 years ago!

goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:12 pm
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black
Location: oswestry shropshire
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by goodeggbob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:08 pm

i agree that kuro does look good,but i just love kuros.

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Yeah, I did see the Kuro, it looks really nice and the seats really set it off too. I really don't want to cross the 2006 road tax boundry unless there's a really compelling reason too.

goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:12 pm
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black
Location: oswestry shropshire
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by goodeggbob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 pm

then its all down to bodywork.

Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 9:00 pm
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black
Location: Maidenhead
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Nickp47 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Plan3tBob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm
Yeah, I did see the Kuro, it looks really nice and the seats really set it off too. I really don't want to cross the 2006 road tax boundry unless there's a really compelling reason too.
The rustproofing was better on later cars (around 2007 on I believe)

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:26 pm

goodeggbob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 pm
hi bob ,it sounds as though you have taken all doubt out of the equation by opting for a non runner or a recent rebuild.either way you will be covered by a pretty good engine warranty if done by one of the reputable specialists on here.from my own experience and proximity to you i would opt for lc rotary in kent.having chosen one of the above options your emphasis should be on bodywork, chassis,running gear etc,knowing that the engine is in good hands which i find extremely reassuring.keep us posted,regards,rob. :thumleft:
Thanks to the nod toward lc rotary :) my current plan is to take an rx8 specialist with me when I find a car too... I'll have to research more on that area.
Last edited by Plan3tBob on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mi60o0
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:47 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: south east London
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by mi60o0 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 pm

I have clean jap import 04 plate hot start issue need rebuild but no rust under so once is fixed will be nice once I save up I will be after pz so no spare cash to finish the project
Red Rexy
Essex rotary undertray eyebwors
RR gold rebuild. RR coils.
Mazda speed wheels
Carbon Bonned and Spoiler.
Toyosport decat + Catback.
AEM Intake.
Essex Rotary Stage 1 Remap.
To be done when have free time Gauges + Tein coils.

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 pm

mi60o0 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:31 pm
I have clean jap import 04 plate hot start issue need rebuild but no rust under so once is fixed will be nice once I save up I will be after pz so no spare cash to finish the project
To keep insurance simple, I'm currently looking at UK cars. However since imported cars keep coming up I'll do some research into the insurance side in case I'm missing a trick!

Rotary Potato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:22 am
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Rotary Potato » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 pm

No problem about getting a little excited about getting an RX8. :lol:

I'd say you should by the best RX8 you can find, regardless of high/low tax. A couple of hundred quid a year is a cheap price to pay for a wider pool to choose from. And you'll be paying the government so much in fuel tax that the additional road tax will be small beer. :lol:

A lot of the special editions are in the high tax bracket. Some of those (Kuro, Nemesis, Evolve) are just cosmetic changes, others (PZ, 40th) have mechanical as well as cosmetic changes. That may or may not appeal to you ...
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:44 pm

SeeJay wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 pm
Hi Bob, :welcome: to the forum..

The key thing is to do your homework here,before jumping in,no matter how excited you are :!: ;)

There's plenty to learn about these cars,so start reading your way thru' these FAQ's ..Buyer's guide first,obviously,
and feel free to ask any questions before parting with your money ;)

Buyer's Guide

Ignition

Oil

Compression

Starting & Switching off

Identifying Genuine Coils

It's also good to become acquainted with a specialist,so take a look at our Map of rotary specialists


Do take a look at members' cars for sale :thumleft:
Thanks SeeJay :)
Many years ago I used to own a Porsche 928 which has a similar strong community following.
It makes a huge difference finding a community like this. #AwesomeNess :D
Ty
Mark
Last edited by Plan3tBob on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Rotary Potato wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 pm
No problem about getting a little excited about getting an RX8. :lol:

I'd say you should by the best RX8 you can find, regardless of high/low tax. A couple of hundred quid a year is a cheap price to pay for a wider pool to choose from. And you'll be paying the government so much in fuel tax that the additional road tax will be small beer. :lol:

A lot of the special editions are in the high tax bracket. Some of those (Kuro, Nemesis, Evolve) are just cosmetic changes, others (PZ, 40th) have mechanical as well as cosmetic changes. That may or may not appeal to you ...
Nooooo....... Special editions, tweaked mechanics, "something a little special"... Really does appeal to me. ;)

User avatar
SeeJay
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 3376
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:17 pm
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black
Location: Nottingham
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by SeeJay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Plan3tBob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm
I really don't want to cross the 2006 road tax boundry unless there's a really compelling reason too...
That compelling reason would be an R3..but then,I'm biased ;)
2008 Sparkling Black R3 Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback Drilled/grooved discs Simota Induction Kit D585 Coils Braided S/S lines Polished Engine Bay DRL's 2011 Spec Gearbox LED Side & fogs Calibre GT-R rims Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 Nissan GTR spoiler RacingBeat ARB's Tein coilovers BHR motor mounts Amemiya Grille CL RC5 pads

User avatar
GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 44661
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:57 pm
Colour: Custom
Location: Around The UK including West Sussex
Has thanked: 4740 times
Been thanked: 1154 times

Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by GreySilver Beast » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi Mark & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:


Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's :thumleft: - Events Team
GSB-TDU - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar - GBCC Network Delivery Service
Track Days = 54.5/Sprint Days = 13/Car Limits 4 person = 3/Skid Pan = 1/Go Karting = 1/Cars Driven = 177

http://npt-communications.webs.com < Click > ****GSB III**** - GT86 Track Days = 45

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:37 pm

SeeJay wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm
Plan3tBob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm
I really don't want to cross the 2006 road tax boundry unless there's a really compelling reason too...
That compelling reason would be an R3..but then,I'm biased ;)
My understanding of the advantages of the R3 is pretty basic at the moment at the bone having another oil injector to help longevity.. I will however dig a bit deeper ;) ty again :)

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:38 pm

GreySilver Beast wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 pm
Hi Mark & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:


Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's :thumleft: - Events Team
Ty GreySilver Beast :)

Rotary Potato
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:22 am
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Rotary Potato » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Plan3tBob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:37 pm
SeeJay wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm
Plan3tBob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm
I really don't want to cross the 2006 road tax boundry unless there's a really compelling reason too...
That compelling reason would be an R3..but then,I'm biased ;)
My understanding of the advantages of the R3 is pretty basic at the moment at the bone having another oil injector to help longevity.. I will however dig a bit deeper ;) ty again :)
There's a list here ... viewtopic.php?f=58&t=37833

Although I think you need to be a full member to access it.

I haven't counted, but it looks to be about 100 or so changes - many of them are pretty minor, but some are more major.

Whether those add up to the extra premium an R3 commands is entirely up to you.
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017

User avatar
Plan3tBob
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:05 pm
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Location: Brentwood, Essex
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Plan3tBob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:15 pm

Rotary Potato wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 pm
Plan3tBob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:37 pm
SeeJay wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm


That compelling reason would be an R3..but then,I'm biased ;)
My understanding of the advantages of the R3 is pretty basic at the moment at the bone having another oil injector to help longevity.. I will however dig a bit deeper ;) ty again :)
There's a list here ... viewtopic.php?f=58&t=37833

Although I think you need to be a full member to access it.

I haven't counted, but it looks to be about 100 or so changes - many of them are pretty minor, but some are more major.

Whether those add up to the extra premium an R3 commands is entirely up to you.
You are right, you need to be a full member to access that bit :(
ty though, I'll do some research in the short term :thumright:

User avatar
Essex2Visuvesi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:05 pm
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Essex2Visuvesi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:15 am

Being in Brentwood you're just up the road from the Essex meet

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=73707&p=1166076#p1166076

Everyone is welcome and we're a friendly bunch, no need to own an 8 to attend
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive

User avatar
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 30801
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:54 am
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver
Location: Surrey (in the urban bit)
Has thanked: 521 times
Been thanked: 648 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by Shagrington » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:38 am

Hi and :welcome: Plan3tBob. :D Get along to the next Essex meet if you can and pick some brains, get more ideas and so on. If you're lucky Aston from Essex Rotary will also be there with all his knowledge - yes you have at least a couple of excellent specialists nearby with Essex Rotary and LC Rotary.

In answer to your questions:

Qu: I have two boys 10&5: can you get booster seats into those rear seats?! Yes I believe so (not had to do it myself but there are plenty on here with kids who must have done).
Qu: Is there any reason not to go for the 230Hp version (as opposed to the 192)? (the costs seem similar…) Go for the best condition car you can find, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 192 and 231 on the road, but you may find you prefer one over the other - no telling which until you try both. The 192 is supposedly easier to drive in town with the 5 speed box and slightly higher torque, the 231 is likely to be a little faster on track.
Qu: Is it okay to go for a pre-Mar2006 car? (I resent paying the tax man another £250 for no good reason) Yes, as above go for the best condition car you can find.

£3.5k budget you say? R3 says SeeJay (as he tends to ;) ) - have you seen this? viewtopic.php?f=145&t=77326
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired - just need to get rid of hand over the bank stuff etc)
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes

User avatar
bigpete8
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver
Location: Tyne & Wear
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Hi! I'm a little too excited about getting an RX8!

Post by bigpete8 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 am

Or a pz
Sunlight Silver 231
Trying run on a budget to keep the noise level down - from the missus!

Post Reply

Return to “Hello.. I'm new here..”