Trax Perfomance Car Event | Sunday 7th October | Silverstone

Track Action / Drift Demos / The Tyre Challenge / RX-8 Club Stand / Fast Car 400 Display / The TurboSmart Sprint Test

Recall for software, plugs and oil cooler lines

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Eddie_r32
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231

Re: Recall for software, plugs and oil cooler lines

Post by Eddie_r32 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:01 am

Delanor wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:39 am
Just out of idle curiosity is anyone aware of any RX-8`s actually catching fire I seem to remember one sometime in the past even the RX-8 club only mentions one back in 2004 and that was under the hood! (sorry bonnet)

Del.
I think the Americans babe had issues with the fuel tanks but not sure if we have the climate or get the mileage that they somehow manage out of them to experience it
2007 Galaxy grey 231 with full RRP bridge.

dern
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by dern » Sun May 06, 2018 11:06 am

Mine is finally sorted. They came out to fix it on my drive as the guy who came to collected it decided it was too dangerous to drive. Leak free now.

Although it was a major hassle and the dealer was absolutely useless I'd really recommend getting it done anyway. It is a safety issue after all and not getting it done because it's painful dealing with these idiots is an extremely poor decision. At the very least get a garage you trust to do the work at your expense. Petrol leaks are not something you want to take a chance on. With the benefit of hindsight I'd have got the bits and done it myself.
Red 231 with Haywards stage 2 engine, Tein Mono Sport coilovers with EDFC2 controller, stripped out interior, sunroof delete and racing beat anti-roll bars

Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Lemon » Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 pm

dern wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:06 am
Mine is finally sorted. They came out to fix it on my drive as the guy who came to collected it decided it was too dangerous to drive. Leak free now.

Although it was a major hassle and the dealer was absolutely useless I'd really recommend getting it done anyway. It is a safety issue after all and not getting it done because it's painful dealing with these idiots is an extremely poor decision. At the very least get a garage you trust to do the work at your expense. Petrol leaks are not something you want to take a chance on. With the benefit of hindsight I'd have got the bits and done it myself.
recall work has to be done by the dealer though.
Thanks, Stu

jondkent
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by jondkent » Sun May 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Had my first experience with a Mazda dealership, T W Whites and Sons in Bookham. Car went in for the fuel seal recall, all sorted in a few hours. Really friendly bunch and no issues with the work done. Very happy with them and totally recommend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Sun May 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Lemon wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 pm
recall work has to be done by the dealer though.
Only a dealer can sign off recall work as having been completed. But there is nothing stopping anybody buying the parts and fitting them themselves. It's just that it won't be logged on the Mazda system as having been done.

An interesting question would be what would your insurance company say if your car caught fire and you told them the recall work was done by you? Legally, I suspect that if you can prove that you are competent to do it then you would be fine. But, unless you are a fully trained Mazda Technician, good luck with that......

(I make no comment on whether fully trained Mazda Technicians are competent....!)
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Harrizone » Sun May 06, 2018 4:03 pm

Just the one here that I saw pictures of Del but believe there was at least one other reported. Still with the Mazda mechanics skill :-k we could see more in the not too distant future if the issues with leaks continues. #-o
Fully bridged engine by ER, & Revi air scoop Full Mazdaspeed kit, bull bars & rear fog, short shifter, Dotz wheels, Falken FK452 225/45/18 (road) Federal 595 RS-R 235/40/18 (track) Racing Brake 4-pot front calipers ET500 pads (road), XT960 pads (track), RB header, cat & Catback & ARB's & adjustable drop links F&R, Tein Flex coilovers, BHR& leads, K&N filter.

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 pm

nightfire10 wrote:
warpc0il wrote:Will everyone that's having issues with these recalls please contact Mazda Customer Services directly, as they keep trying to tell me that there aren't any problems and it's just hearsay.

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... 25&t=35818
Just spoke to mazda customer services the lady I spoke is aware of quite a few issues with the recalls

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Just had a call from Canford Cliffs mazda the part has arrived! apparently something to do with knowing who to complain too cheers warpcOil Image they are fitting it Thursday 8.30, had to re'book for the 23rd as i forgot i'd filled it up lol, soon use the fuel around Castle Combe on friday :race:

Last edited by nightfire10 on Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hayward's bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers with edfc,oil pressure and oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front and rear grills,folding tow hook's,connect2
To do install sohn tank bracket made but still need to get time to install,caliper painting :thumright:

Bunjmeister
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Bunjmeister » Wed May 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Wondering if anybody else has had any issues now it's been done a while.

Does anyone know what pipes are changed? Do they effect how the fuel is pulled from bottom of the tank?

Reason I ask is I had a weird one on Friday. Fuel light came on during my ride to work, about three miles before I got there. Figured I would be alright to get fuel on way home, about 7 miles work to petrol station of choice. Instead, I got about 500 yards, before it would start and run briefly before puttering out.

I rang my bro to come tow me, assuming it was my cat finally giving up the ghost, as I know it's on its way out. Ghetto decat happening in the near future. Before towing, he suggested putting more fuel in to try it anyway. We got 6 litres in a Jerry can, at which point the car started and ran fine, fuel light went off etc, and I drove to the station fine and dandy under my own steam.

I filled it, and even after three extra clicks, could only put 43 litres in. I thought they had 60 litre tanks though. Previously I have been getting 51 or so litres in, after no running problems prior to the station.

dac69er
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by dac69er » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Got mine done. Really great service. Dropped off yesterday evening and picked up today.

Done the fuel leak, replaced lower arms, done the airbag and on their free safety check noticed a rear arb link had a split rubber and didn't push to do the work.

Wouldnt have known they had even worked on the car. No issues whatsoever.

Donalds mazda bury st Edmunds.

bunch1980
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by bunch1980 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:42 am

Mine going in tomorrow first thing Landsdown Mazda Bath been dealers a long time so hoping ok, on about a 1/4 tank, have said they done it a few times now so we will see!
Think will not fill up full after just in case there is issues.

About fee for loan cars have others been paying it?

dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er » Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 am

bunch1980 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:42 am
Mine going in tomorrow first thing Landsdown Mazda Bath been dealers a long time so hoping ok, on about a 1/4 tank, have said they done it a few times now so we will see!
Think will not fill up full after just in case there is issues.

About fee for loan cars have others been paying it?
where i went had done quite a few, so that put me at ease a bit as i hate others working on my cars.

they asked if my fuel light was on as that is the ideal level to do the work. 1/4 is probably ok, but if you can go for a 5 mile drive beforehand and use another 1/4 tank they will be thankful of that :P

as soon as i nursed the car back in rush hour with the fuel needle on 0 i filled her right up (>£75 :( ) reads fine on the gauge and no leaks or anything that i can notice.

bunch1980
Club Member
Club Member

Post by bunch1980 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 am

Well I had it near a 1/4, evening before voicemail to say parts not in for Thursday!! rung back said not good etc no warning crap, so now got to wait until my next week day off. This was after it had been booked in over a month ago!
Did say not has any issues only one complaining of fuel smell but not since so must of gone after a bit!

Doh i say.

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:27 am

nightfire10 wrote:
nightfire10 wrote:
warpc0il wrote:Will everyone that's having issues with these recalls please contact Mazda Customer Services directly, as they keep trying to tell me that there aren't any problems and it's just hearsay.

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... 25&t=35818
Just spoke to mazda customer services the lady I spoke is aware of quite a few issues with the recalls

Just had a call from Canford Cliffs mazda the part has arrived! apparently something to do with knowing who to complain too cheers warpcOil Image they are fitting it Thursday 8.30, had to re'book for the 23rd as i forgot i'd filled it up lol, soon use the fuel around Castle Combe on friday :race:

Waiting for fuel sender to be fitted ! Fingers crossed Image

Hayward's bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers with edfc,oil pressure and oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front and rear grills,folding tow hook's,connect2
To do install sohn tank bracket made but still need to get time to install,caliper painting :thumright:

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Here's the update after new sender fitted to fuel pump side of tank ! £72 of fuel and it reads !!!!!! where do i go from here ? they said they will raise a technical query with mazda to see if this has been a problem elsewhere,they said ever thing has been replaced so at a loss :banghead: :banghead: :kinky:
warpcoil another phone call to Mazda customer care ?
Attachments
gauge.jpg
gauge.jpg (42.52 KiB) Viewed 194 times

bunch1980
Club Member
Club Member

Post by bunch1980 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Really crap so don't want to take mine in now next month! this is very worrying if goes in to save an issue but end up with more problems.

Its also the time taking it and leaving it there each time and getting back home etc.

dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er » Wed May 23, 2018 3:07 pm

perhaps its just a poor dealer. many have been perfectly fine. i was a little apprehensive, but seems like everything was done fine on mine.

do you have another dealer in the vicinity you could try?

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor » Wed May 23, 2018 3:24 pm

bunch1980 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm
Really crap so don't want to take mine in now next month! this is very worrying if goes in to save an issue but end up with more problems.

Its also the time taking it and leaving it there each time and getting back home etc.
I`m in the same boat - in as a low mileage one owner special edition immaculate RX-8 - back with fuel leaks and a duff fuel gauge - thanks but no :censored: thanks!

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, DIY AC Delco D585 coil conversion, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Only time I've seen that was ages ago on a PZ that would only get to 3/4 on the gauge with a full tank.

Ended up being some utter numpty fitting the incorrect-side fuel level float/sender jobbie to the drivers side of the tank.
When full, the float would foul on the tank on its way up and only send X Ohms to the gauge.

Fitted correct unit, and its been fine since.

I think I'll take my chances dying quickly in crash than slowly engulfed in a petrol fire.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:29 pm

13Black wrote:Only time I've seen that was ages ago on a PZ that would only get to 3/4 on the gauge with a full tank.

Ended up being some utter numpty fitting the incorrect-side fuel level float/sender jobbie to the drivers side of the tank.
When full, the float would foul on the tank on its way up and only send X Ohms to the gauge.

Fitted correct unit, and its been fine since.
Only read 3/4 before they fitted the new sender Nick they thought it may have been knocked whilst changing pump 🤢

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Wed May 23, 2018 3:41 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they just stuck both of your float/sender units on a table, and then refitted left to right, and vice versa.
Giving you the initial 1/4 tank reading.

Then fitted the correct one to the left side now, giving you 3/4 max now, due to the right one still being incorrect.

Drain the tank down, pop the right hatch off and twist the float out, methinks it'll have the Swan neck going the wrong way.

Not sure why they would touch the senders but clearly they're not behaving.
Last edited by 13Black on Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm

13Black wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they just stuck both of your float/sender units on a table, and then refitted left to right, and vice versa.
Giving you the initial 1/4 tank reading.

Then fitted the correct one to the left side now, giving you 3/4 max now, due to the right one still being incorrect.

Drain the tank down, pop the right hatch off and twist the float out, methinks it'll have the Swan neck going the wrong way.
Got £72 fuel in lol

New sender came from Japan after I got customer services involved

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Wed May 23, 2018 3:43 pm

A few hours on some country roads :D or 5 buckets from B&Q and jump the fuel pump in the cabin fuse box.

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 pm

13Black wrote:A few hours on some country roads :D or 5 buckets from B&Q and jump the fuel pump in the cabin fuse box.
Should have said also off today full of cold so just the thought of doing it Image

bunch1980
Club Member
Club Member

Post by bunch1980 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 pm

dac69er wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:07 pm
perhaps its just a poor dealer. many have been perfectly fine. i was a little apprehensive, but seems like everything was done fine on mine.

do you have another dealer in the vicinity you could try?
One I have chosen is long term Mazda dealer did air bag recall fine. The other dealer is new. Others are to far away, sure be fine, just don’t want to have to take it back again!!

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Latest update I have to go to c/cliffs mazda where they will a come with me to the fuel station and fill up on their fuel card , they will then take a photo of the gauge (reading 3/4 ) they will then sent to mazda and say what do we do next Image🤡ImageImageImage

Return to “RX-8 Discussion”