What have you done to your RX-8 today????

Place for discussions about the RX-8
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Re: What have you done to your RX-8 today?????

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

Vian wrote:My sills aren't urgent, but I'll have to do them at some point. What's the expectation on cost if they need some welding? How much will I likely need to put aside?
Depends how bad they are, the longer you leave it the worse the job will be and more will need to be cut out, between 100-300 per side depending on what they're like at a guess.
Vian
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Vian »

Oh really? Is that all? OK that's not too bad. They aren't a problem as yet, they're an advisory on the most recent MOT, but I know they'll need doing at some point, and I was thinking in exactly the same terms as you put it - to get them done before they get too bad. Ta for that.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
yippeekiay
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by yippeekiay »

Just removed my old coils in preperation to fit the new coils I bought from a member off here the other day, also bought some new plugs/leads which will go on when the weather is dry enough for me to push it out of the garage and do outside :roll:

Had a bitch of a time trying to get to the old ones. Air box was a nightmare, spent nearly an hour trying to persuade it to come off with no joy so googled it and low and behold there are 2 bottom lugs that hadn't been mentioned in a thread/video I'd seen. Went back and BOOM, no lie it came out in less than 10 seconds now that I knew to pull up from the back first hahaha.

Coil at the front was a swine to get socket on as my car has a bloody big loom going over the top of the nut, no idea if that's only on the R3 but got it eventually. Was very suprised how clean the U/side of them all were apart from one which was actually bearing the marks of rust from the mounting plate but there was hardly any blemishes that you see touted all over the place and no 'arc' marks whatsoever.

Anyway, just a quick query after that sh!te above :lol:
.....underneath on my coils were some numbers either side of the fastening boss. From the front of the car to the back the coils were numbered 1 - 1, 1 - 2, 1 - 2 & 1 - 4.

The ones I just bought have the numbers 1 - 2, 1 - 2, 1 - 3 & 1 - 4.

Now my OCD is kicking in and I'm wondering if they are all the same coils or not, either mine or the new ones and should I have 1 to 4 :shock:

Any ideas or are they all the same and Mazda coincidently put these numbers on that may have nothing to do with positioning?

Thanks for any advice/info regarding this ;)
09' R3 MPG
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

Vian wrote:Oh really? Is that all? OK that's not too bad. They aren't a problem as yet, they're an advisory on the most recent MOT, but I know they'll need doing at some point, and I was thinking in exactly the same terms as you put it - to get them done before they get too bad. Ta for that.
They shouldn't be terrible, they're a pretty easy panel to make even if the internals have gone too, no compound curves, etc.
Vian
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Vian »

I'm not on a budget or anything, so I'll just get them done. It was only if it was way more than that I'd have planned the timing of it.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
Ed-UltimateTinting
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Ed-UltimateTinting »

Seized the engine, bugger.........
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog »

Seized?
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
Ed-UltimateTinting
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Ed-UltimateTinting »

Yep it would seem so, it cut out in traffic and when I cranked it it turned over once or twice slowly then stopped and now won't crank at all, put a breaker bar on the crank pulley today and it's completely solid, noticed the expansion tank is empty so i'm assuming a water seal has gone and hydro locked it or it's thrown a apex seal which is possibly stuck in a port???? won't know till I get it to LC's
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog »

Bad news mate .. hope you get it sorted with Lewis :)
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
lanky_jack
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by lanky_jack »

ChrisHolmes2014 wrote:That will be like a floodlight at night, great stuff.
If I think on tomorrow morning I'll get a pic of it lit up in the dark; should be pretty bright as the ice blue LEDs I have in the front reading lights are extremely bright too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'55 Winning Blue 192/RotaryRevs d585 Coils/Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme's/Anthracite OEM Alloys & Side Strakes/PowerLite RAC478 Starter Motor/Cosworth Air Filter/JapSpeed Catback/Re-built at 44743mi by RotaryRevs/Sohn Adaptor Kit(w/level sensor)/Tinted Side Indicators/All LED Interior & Door Lights w/uber bright puddle lights/Eyelids with Halo DRLs
Rob140
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Rob140 »

Gave it a good spray underneath & shampoo wash to get rid of all the mud & road cr*p there seems to be at the moment before taking it for MoT..........very relieved 100% pass & no advisories :D

Road Tax due end of the month!! :shock:

Rob
D585 coils, Magnecor leads & NGK Plugs, Hi-Flow Sports Cat, Magnatec 10w40, Redline MT90,75w90 Gearbox & Diff, Tints – Rear, Suicide Doors + Sun Strip, ClimAir Tinted Wind Deflectors, Front & Rear Lockwood Grills , Ring 5 LED DRL’s, SS Strakes, LED Side & Fog Lights, Red Calipers & Hubs Blue LED Interior Lights, N3R3 Starter Upgrade, Meguiars & Autoglym detailing
bunch1980
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by bunch1980 »

ChrisHolmes2014 wrote:
image.jpeg
Fitted my £1:50 voltage display onto the "batwing" and wired in my first attempt DIY illuminated gear knob. Still not full lighting across the gate so another one for the scrap bin.
EDIT: B iPhone photo turned on its side again. How do I rotate this on my PC?
I find when looking on ipad/iphone its correct, i ended up with my pics re attaching from PC having first just opened them in picture viewer thing and rotate correct seems to save them correctly then re attach should show around correct way on all devices.
davecorah
Former Member
Former Member

Post by davecorah »

New wheels and tyres

20160115_152807.jpg
Rear end has now settled nicely back onto the Apexi springs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

davecorah wrote:New wheels and tyres

20160115_152807.jpg
Rear end has now settled nicely back onto the Apexi springs
Looks like a nice clean original car, wheels look good.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
EdSpur
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by EdSpur »

In to LC Rotary for new steering rack under warranty and new Pirelli P Zero Nero GTs!
Should handle like a dream tomorrow! :-)
Brilliant Black PZ from LC Rotary: D585s, street port, newly rebuilt engine; Axial Flow short shifter; Nexus 2013 in Sat Nav enclosure; Auxmod for Nexus; Xcarlink for phone; blue LED interior; LED reversing and fog lights!
Previously: Stormy Blue '57 plate 231... Killed by useless Punto driver slamming into it....
Harboroughrx8
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by Harboroughrx8 »

Took the car for its MOT this morning, booked it into a garage 20miles away so I could give it a good blast before the test which payed off as it passed.
Well chuffed :D
Kwackers2016
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Kwackers2016 »

Swapped out the original coils and leads for D585's and 10mm leads. The car has 24k on the clock and I'm guessing looking at the coils and leads they're original. One of the coils had a distinct white spot on the underside and the other three were on there way by the look of them. Had a bit of a job squeezing in the new coils and found I had to take off the front engine hanger mount off to give me better access.
Then tried to get the old starter off to replace it with an upgraded starter but failed to get the dam top nut off the old starter :( garage job I think and impact gun.
Haven't fired her up yet but I'm guessing I'm going to have to reset everything :?: Will have to search the radio because I dont have a code :(
Plugs and air filter still to do.
Broron
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Broron »

Fitted new plugs today then took it for a damm good thrashing!!
Volvo V70, sensible car now
Glen Mc
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Glen Mc »

Had to get a jump start this morning :shock: now I've ordered a new one from Essex Rotary :D
40th White anniversary. Mazda speed replica bodykit/red calipers/strakes/BHR coils/NGk iridium spark plugs/double din install/Essex rotary stage 1 ECU Reflash
Transmission - Red line MT-90
Differential - Red line 75-w90 GL5
Brakes - castrol react performance Dot 4
Engine oil - Shell helix HX5 15w40 mineral
Castrol power 1+ shell v power
245/40/18 michelin pilot sport
Chrisyd
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Chrisyd »

Put on winter tyres yesterday. Must be physic as it is snowing today so I might actually get some grip in that white stuff.
98of400
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

What have you done to your RX-8 today?????

Post by 98of400 »

Kwackers2016 wrote:
...Then tried to get the old starter off to replace it with an upgraded starter but failed to get the dam top nut off the old starter :( garage job I think and impact gun...
You could try a good soaking of WD40 or something similar like Plus Gas (http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/231308423514) on that nut overnight and them try cracking it off in the morning.
Kwackers2016
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Kwackers2016 »

Bigger problems at the mo than the starter. Took it for a run and still holding back. Got home and it wont restart. Pretty sure the cat has blocked the exhaust so need a new cat now asap.
tmk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Import

Post by tmk »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452995478.178106.jpg
Drove it here.. Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RX-8 (2011/PearlWhite) RE Amemiya Redom AType2.0 ECU+Super Intake Box+SportsCat,RMagic TunedMuffler TitanCut,5.125 Final,Tein MonoSport w/EDFC,WedsSport SA55mMGM 18x9.0J,Neova AD08R 245/40/R18,Dixcel SD+IDI GT2 brakes,AutoExe MemberBraceSet, Bride GIAS Carbon,HPI 4pt,MOMO,TRUST InfoTouch+LEG83005,YupiteruGWR53sd,Carrozzeria http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=55428
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Tom, your car should be inside the building!
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
tmk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Import

Post by tmk »

Haha.. Not quite there yet I'm afraid.
RX-8 (2011/PearlWhite) RE Amemiya Redom AType2.0 ECU+Super Intake Box+SportsCat,RMagic TunedMuffler TitanCut,5.125 Final,Tein MonoSport w/EDFC,WedsSport SA55mMGM 18x9.0J,Neova AD08R 245/40/R18,Dixcel SD+IDI GT2 brakes,AutoExe MemberBraceSet, Bride GIAS Carbon,HPI 4pt,MOMO,TRUST InfoTouch+LEG83005,YupiteruGWR53sd,Carrozzeria http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=55428