duckula67
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Been thanked: 0

Re: LED Tail lights

Post by duckula67 »

Paddy do you have a link for the eBay ones please?
Mods:Black wheels.Start button.AEM CAI.D585Coils.EBC ultimax discs.Yellowstuff pads.Racing fluid.Stainless brake&clutch lines,Stainless vents.Cobra Catback.Bonnet struts.Auxmod.Custom Gauge pod.Eibachs&Fast road setup.Shortshift.Sohn adapter.Comp clutch&Flywheel.N/plate offset.Red calipers.Leather Gaiter.LEDs in&out.Smoke LED rear lights.LED 3rd brake.
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by mzivtins »

Delanor wrote:
mzivtins wrote: ** Edit, ok it wasn't kamikaze lights... but way better RE Amemiya full carbon tail lights... only £660...
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/40934

To me a brand new tail light shouldn't go foggy after only 2 weeks like these carid ones are known to do
Only £660 what about £68 shipping and then import duty/handling charge etc when they arrive, you can get thumped for a percentage of your £728 total cost depending on the carrier.

AFAIK only one set of lights have leaked and I think that was down to fitting - one wire lays across the gasket and water will probably track along it and into the light, I disconnected it then fed the wires through separate holes and re-connected the wires in the boot and mine haven`t leaked.

I`ll stick with my totally inferior £230 LED lights - they look like OE LED lights and don`t look like add ons.

Del.
p1.jpg
Ok, point made. Glad it was only one unit that fogged up and damn, in that picture, those lights look ugly, thanks for ruining the for me del! :lol:
Paddy2691
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Paddy2691 »

Mine were from JDMPARTS on eBay but I can't seen to find it in there shoo anymore. It might be worth messaging them.
These users thanked the author Paddy2691 for the post:
duckula67 (Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:18 am)
07 Sunlight Silver 231- LC Rotary Rebuild & Street port, Team Dynamics 1.2 wheels, Exedy Clutch, Lightened flywheel, Cobra Catback, Tein Street Basis Coilovers, Whiteline adjustable ARB's, 15mm spacers, Gauges, Aero kit, EBC discs & Red Stuff pads, Braided clutch & brake lines, K&N Panel filter, Vred. Ultrac Sessanta 235/40. 8)
Craig M
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192

Post by Craig M »

Whoopee !
My tail lights arrived today.
No shipping email, no word from Carid at all but I've finally got them. (Been waiting since March)
Was expecting £53 fee for customs fee but only £40.75.
Long, long wait but they look amazing and can't wait to fit them.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Carid do seem to have a funny way of dealing with their customers which does leave a lot to be desired although I never had any trouble on the 2 sets I received, they are a worthy modification and I have been more than pleased with mine.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 »

I got an email on 30th Nov to say they were being shipped.
At customs now awaiting my rip off charge to be applied
Mods:Black wheels.Start button.AEM CAI.D585Coils.EBC ultimax discs.Yellowstuff pads.Racing fluid.Stainless brake&clutch lines,Stainless vents.Cobra Catback.Bonnet struts.Auxmod.Custom Gauge pod.Eibachs&Fast road setup.Shortshift.Sohn adapter.Comp clutch&Flywheel.N/plate offset.Red calipers.Leather Gaiter.LEDs in&out.Smoke LED rear lights.LED 3rd brake.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

I just bought some LED lights for the Porsche the invoice was reduced by the seller down to $300 (£198) inc` shipping from Taiwan and Parcelforce picked them up when they hit the UK I had to pay £47 import VAT and £8 handling charge so totalling £55. :evil:

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 »

Yep. Sounds about right.
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 »

Btw Paddy, I found JDMPARTS:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/jdm-parts. Doesn't matter now as mine are finally coming.
Thanks anyway though ;-)
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog »

Did yours arrive. I ordered some a more than a month ago and still no sign?
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 »

Hang on in there Mike. I ordered mine in June, they came in December.
They said December 25th but they got them to me a couple of weeks before.
Good communication from them. I believe them when they say it's their supplier that's at fault.
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 »

OOOKAAAAY Finally got round to fitting mine today.

Anyone else had the problem shown in my pictures?
can't connect the two plugs together as the wire isn't effing long enough. Will have to cut and lengthen them.
30min job just turned into 1h30 while I dig out my soldering iron and shrink tube.
Not happy.
DSC_0191_50p.JPG
DSC_0192_50p.JPG
Closest I can get them, and that's without bodywork in the way
DSC_0193_50p.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunch1980
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by bunch1980 »

Not good these the spyder ones from carid? I got there 3rd led brake light on the way!
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 »

Actually the general quality is very good.
I think they look great on the car and fit quite well.
It's just annoying when little details like that get overlooked.

I've had a 3rd brake led light of theirs for about 4 years without issue.
Apart from the abs & dsc light staying on which took me ages to figure out.
You can either fit a resistor (see Delanor's post here at bottom of page 2: http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 5&start=25)
or you can keep the original bulb in it's holder and stick it somewhere behind the boot lid. I did that as at the time I got mine no one seemed to know what resistor to use, and the bulb trick works fine.
bunch1980
Former Member
Former Member

Post by bunch1980 »

Thanks, they look amazing think will get one day from carid, was hoping 3rd light be plug and play lol but will look into resistor.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

I never had any trouble with mine but you can see the red & black wires are way too short still with a little cogitation to be able to connect the wires inside the boot will be worth it as the lights look so good when installed as opposed to the stock lights.

Del.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

bunch1980 wrote:Thanks, they look amazing think will get one day from carid, was hoping 3rd light be plug and play lol but will look into resistor.
You don`t need a resistor for the LED upper brake light its only required if you change the rear lights as well to LED`s as it affects the brake light monitoring circuit.

Del.
bunch1980
Former Member
Former Member

Post by bunch1980 »

I see thanks Del
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 »

Forgot to mention I put spider leds in my brake lights as well. That's probably what caused it initially. I (think) I read somewhere on the forum though that one or two had it throw a fault with just the 3Rd brake led. Don't quote me I could be mistaken. Good luck hope yours works OK.
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

Hi Guys,

I went direct onto CariD's website and did a live chat as i was worried about the issues with delivery timescales, the conversation was actually really good, the confirmed what the postage would be and when the items would be dispatched.

No only that, the support guy also applied a $15 off coupon.

I purchased the black internal LED lights, and today they were posted, due to arrive within the next week and a bit... Very shocked, and VERY pleased!

I recommend using their site :)
bunch1980
Former Member
Former Member

Post by bunch1980 »

Good to know, i guess the key hole shown on left light in pic maybe just mirrored? is the boot key hole always on right worldwide?

deff get this year some time as they look really modern but not to much bling like. Though I do like stock lights to.
Really notice newer cars with LED lights though stand out so much for like safety!
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

The LED brake lights are noticeably much more sharper especially driving on the motorway in bad conditions and they are distinctive in that the brake lights illuminate immediately as opposed to the old light bulbs.

I have just changed the rear lights in the Porsche and they are Smoked units with LED`s for brake lights and indicators (unlike the RX-8) and I am well pleased with those so much more modern and up to date but they look like an OE fitment when the lights are off and surprisingly the same price as the RX-8 lights. :thumright:

Del.
ALT-ON-P99699-LED-RC.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunch1980
Former Member
Former Member

Post by bunch1980 »

Awesome Del

I take it on spyder ones for RX8 all the bulbs are now led including indicators and reverse?
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

The RX-8 lights are only LED`s for the side lights,side markers and brake lights I changed the reversing light bulbs to a Cree LED (nice and white) but left the indicators with bulbs as you cannot see the bulb and they look OK as they are and it doesn`t upset the Canbus system I also find the LED indicator bulbs tend to be more yellowish than amber and some MOT Testers will fail it for that reason.

Del.
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 »

A man after my own heart Delanor. Exactly what I did. Cree looks great but I could never be bothered to bugger about with yellow leds for indicators. Never bright enough and that could be the difference when you are on the road. Also I think you need a resistor for each bulb to avoid canbus errors?
What I did was buy silver coated yellow indicator bulbs. look great on any car.

Bunch1980: The picture is mirrored as the boot lock is the same side on all RX8s.

I was very happy with the comms that I got from carid. I genuinely believe they had the best intentions when we all placed our orders way back when.
They initially said it would be 2 months, but when it turned into 6 I got an apologetic email and an offer of full refund until such time as they had stock.
I chose to wait and they eventually came a month earlier than they were supposed to (albeit 5 months late overall). They emailed me about the delivery and tracking info, so I'm happy with the service.
Ok they didn't have stock when we ordered but that is the way business is done in a lot of places.
I'll shut up now as I sound like a fanboy/rep. :getmecoat: