Dealer Service costs and General Information.

Place for discussions about the RX-8
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dealer Service costs and General Information.

Post by AnilS »

Please use this thread is if you wish me to follow up any issues/queries you may have, regarding your 8. However, your first point of call should be your dealer. Alternatively, PM me and I will be happy to help.

I have spent time this morning talking to my service manager today. I can now list the service costs for the first 6 years of ownership. These may vary due to regional differences;

YEAR 1 = £106.34
YEAR 2 = £151.77
YEAR 3 = £330.07
YEAR 4 = £203.12
YEAR 5 = £175.12
YEAR 6 = £418.76

Each annual mileage increment being 12.5k miles, so the 6th year service mileage is 75k miles.

Please also ensure that when you take it in the 1st service, that the dealer checks and stamps not only the service section of your service book, but also the Bodywork inspection section (not carried out at every service). This allows Mazda to keep tabs on your bodywork for rust and paintwork issues. If this section of the service book is not filled in, you run the risk of invalidating your Paintwork and Rust corrosion warranty.

My dealer automatically does this but some don't, so please, it costs you nothing to remind them. Check your book for intervals.

Regards, AnilS
Last edited by AnilS on Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone (RX8 - 231) but not forgotten.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe
AndyPearce
Founder Member
Founder Member

Re: Dealer Service costs and General Information.

Post by AndyPearce »

AnilS wrote: These may vary due to regional differences, but not hugely;
I beg to differ but my second service is listed as £103 at my dealership - your's is almost half as much again which is a pretty big difference. It's just a shame you'd use £50 worth of petrol to get to my dealer! ;)
There are only 10 types of people in the world , those who understand binary and those who don't...
used to have a 230ps Titanium, Leather, Delivered 21/11/03
Now - jag F-Pace , Ford Ranger Wildtrak and track car is a Tiger!
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

Edited :wink: .

It would probably cost me £50 in fuel to get to your dealer, but think of the fun I'd have getting there :wink: .

AnilS.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe
sms
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sms »

You can reduce the cost of the service by taking your own oil (Oilman's finest for me!) and by going to a dealer who gives OC members a discount.

Anil, any chance of you putting together a definitive list of which dealers will give discounts? Once you've had a chance to settle in to your new role, of course. Any time in the next ten minutes will do! :lol:
sms
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

sms wrote: Anil, any chance of you putting together a definitive list of which dealers will give discounts? Once you've had a chance to settle in to your new role, of course. Any time in the next ten minutes will do! :lol:
Cliff already set this up, but I will be updating it.

http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... php?t=1756

AnilS.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe
sms
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sms »

That'll teach me not to search! :oops: Thanks. :D
sms
specman
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by specman »

sms wrote:That'll teach me not to search! :oops: Thanks. :D
Mrs SMS I think it is about time for your spectacles to be updated...again!!! :D :D
Cliff
F M No 9
Retired Committee member
sms
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sms »

specman wrote:
sms wrote:That'll teach me not to search! :oops: Thanks. :D
Mrs SMS I think it is about time for your spectacles to be updated...again!!! :D :D
Nice try Cliff, but it's the non-functioning organ behind the eyes that caused the problem! :lol:
sms
AW8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AW8 »

Having seen various posts re first servicing costs under £60 plus oil I thought it may be a good idea to compare a couple of local dealers before booking same.

I've just been quoted 114.80 all in by one local dealer. I have previously asked re club discounts and they have never heard of the club. I decided to get another price.

I phoned Solent Mazda in Hampshire a few minutes ago ,(second closest to above) and the conversation went like this

Q Good morning can I speak to the service department please?

A They're all busy I'm afraid.

Q. I'm phoning around for the best first service price for my RX-8 can you give me a price please ?

A. About 112

Q. Is that all in with parts labour and VAT

A Yes

Q I am a member of the RX8 owners club and as such I am aware of variations in service costs between some dealers . I know of other members who have had their first services for under £60.

A Laughter................ £60?

Q Yes many of our members supply their own oil

A. Why would anyone do that?

Q. To save money.

A. Oh

Q. There seem to be huge differences in service costs across the country
any reason why?

A. No.

(Paused silence)

A I don't understand. What is it you want me to say Sir ?

Q. Well to explain the differences if able please?

A. Well our price includes the oil

Q is there any movement on your servicing costs

A No

Q. Can you tell me the price of the oil?

A. No (abrupt tone)

Call ended

:evil: Is it me or what ?
Thoughts please.
Last edited by AW8 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
VR 230 owned 2003-2006 - Never to be forgotten.
RobDickinson
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by RobDickinson »

O the oil thing isnt just about saving costs. Its about knowing what oil goes into your car.

Typicaly garages will use bulk oils (mebee ok but hwo knows) and charge you the earth for it.
Scoobydriver now.
Well by that I mean a 98 Forester 2.0, more tractor than car.
AW8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AW8 »

A nearer local dealer have eventually agreed to service whilst deducting oil cost if self supplied.

Those that had wheels /tyres rotated - was this done for free - if not how much did dealer charge :?:
AW8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AW8 »

C'mon guys n girls someone must have had this done at service. :)
ruttiger
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ruttiger »

Had the 1st service done last weekend by Struan's of Perth. Excellent service, so to speak, as normal and even dropped us off in Perth for a bit of xmas shopping (although I wasn't impressed with the mazda 2 they used to taxi us in. barf!).

I gave the service guy a list of items to look at (squeeky door, drivers seat, loose and rattling passenger seat) which he didn't have time to do. I'll take it back in the new year to get that done along with rotating the tyres - fingers crossed.

What he did do was the ussual service, ecu upgrade and even painted my rusty wheel hubs! I didn't even have to throw my pre-prepared strop. Looks great too.

Maybe my imagination but a definite improvment pulling through the revs and a nice wee kick around 7k. Just fees a little tighter, maybe .

Cost was 85 quid, but with 3.8 litres of Oilman's black gold we were invoiced the grand total of 61 pounds 47 pence. Who said running a sports car was expensive? :?
Piston free since Nov 03, Couldn't sell the car so have to keep it. Damn! ;)
Velocity Red, HP, Red/Black leather (8))
(Ex)Owners club member 110
simrjor
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by simrjor »

Had my first service done last week £71 (Supplied oil, Brake Pad Mod and a much shinier car).

Mine also seems more responsive after the service :?
Hi-Power Titanium 231 (53), Strakes, Fuel Cap, Side Airdams, Lux Mats :shock:.
AndyPearce
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AndyPearce »

AW8 wrote:C'mon guys n girls someone must have had this done at service. :)
yep - but like you it was free. :D
There are only 10 types of people in the world , those who understand binary and those who don't...
used to have a 230ps Titanium, Leather, Delivered 21/11/03
Now - jag F-Pace , Ford Ranger Wildtrak and track car is a Tiger!
AW8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AW8 »

Not due until next week - but after reading this it reminded me to call (thanks :) )& they will do same for free as part of service.
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

Info so far on Extended Warranty.

It is run by the same company that runs the roadside assistance we all have for 3 years, called Momentum.

I will have the "4th years" cover (i.e. the first year after your 3 year cover expires) tomorrow, but this will include roadside assistance, so if you take it out, there is no need to get AA/RAC cover.

Will post the true cost tomorrow.

Regards, AnilS.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe
ploz
Founder Member
Founder Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by ploz »

Well - I'm booked in for a 1st service, but I think I was quoted an all time record price (£139) judging by evidence on this thread. After a bit of ringing around to other local dealers, they agreed to "price match" at £110. The oil is £32, so taking that off - I'm down to £78. Wheel hubs and EMU upgrade being done as well - oh, and the fog light that has been bust for months cos I haven't had the cash or time to sort it.
There once was a man from Essex,
Who was potty over Mazda RXs.
He ordered an 8,
and had to wait,
But when it arrived, said "tis better than sex is".
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

Extended Warranty Information.

As previously stated (above) this includes Roadside Assistance and VAT, so;

12 Months = £411 (£369.90)

24 Months = £681 (£612.90)

I have spoken with my dealer and he is willing to offer a 10% Owners Club discount (in brackets).

Regards, AnilS.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

When I had my 3 litre Carlton GSi, extended warranty through Motor Warranty Direct cost £220 per year. I renewed every year for three years and claimed £1000 back (Head gasket failure and A/C failure). They were very good, but when I asked about cover on a 4.4 litre BMW 840 Ci (don't worry, long story :lol: ), they would not offer cover on engines over 4 litre!

I wonder if the rotary would be excluded?

Dave, I too think the prices could be more competitive (being diplomatic here) but it might be worth shopping around OR taking out the warranty may make selling your 8 whilst "in warranty", easier.

AnilS.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe
Torpedo
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Torpedo »

I've got my first service tommorow. I've been quoted £81 with my own (Oilman's) oil. Due to them not having a courtesy available until next year, I have agreed to wait while they do it. They reckon on it taking about an hour. Does this sound right? It doesn't sound very long to me!! I've never waited for a service before, usually leaving the car for a whole day, so don't really know how long these things take.
Cheers,
Simon

Was: Sunlight Silver, High Power, Black leather, strakes, lowered plate. (Dec 2003 - Oct 2006)
Now: Toyota RAV4 T180
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

Torpedo wrote:I've got my first service tommorow. I've been quoted £81 with my own (Oilman's) oil. Due to them not having a courtesy available until next year, I have agreed to wait while they do it. They reckon on it taking about an hour. Does this sound right? It doesn't sound very long to me!! I've never waited for a service before, usually leaving the car for a whole day, so don't really know how long these things take.
Simon, they had my car all day (as there were other things I wanted them to see to) but I was quoted 3 hours.

Take a Gameboy Advance with you :lol:

BTW, my dealer also offer (FOC) a collection and drop off facility (for the 8) OR you take the car to them and they drop you off and pick you up later when its ready.

Worth suggesting.

AnilS.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe
NickC
Former Member
Former Member

Post by NickC »

Torpedo wrote:I've got my first service tommorow. I've been quoted £81 with my own (Oilman's) oil. Due to them not having a courtesy available until next year, I have agreed to wait while they do it. They reckon on it taking about an hour. Does this sound right? It doesn't sound very long to me!! I've never waited for a service before, usually leaving the car for a whole day, so don't really know how long these things take.
I haven't looked at the service schedule yet for the 8, but the first service is usually just an oil and filter change and a wipe round with an oily rag. An hour should be plenty of time if they don't find anything else wrong or clean it!
Torpedo
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Torpedo »

Cost me £72 in the end - he said he had worked out the deduction for the oil wrong :lol: . Don't know how long it took, as I left the car with them for 3 hours, as my wife picked me up and we went for breakfast and some shopping. Also had my creaky driver's seat sorted, and the tyres rotated (at 7700 miles), and they also threw in a wash. Can't moan at the service I've got so far, from Derby Mazda. The only downside was they have nothing to do with the club :( . I suggested that they take a look tho.
Cheers,
Simon

Was: Sunlight Silver, High Power, Black leather, strakes, lowered plate. (Dec 2003 - Oct 2006)
Now: Toyota RAV4 T180
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

Torpedo wrote:Cost me £72 in the end - he said he had worked out the deduction for the oil wrong :lol: . Don't know how long it took, as I left the car with them for 3 hours, as my wife picked me up and we went for breakfast and some shopping. Also had my creaky driver's seat sorted, and the tyres rotated (at 7700 miles), and they also threw in a wash. Can't moan at the service I've got so far, from Derby Mazda. The only downside was they have nothing to do with the club :( . I suggested that they take a look tho.
Simon thats pretty good. Just ask them next time about the pick up and drop off facility that most other dealers offer.

BTW, the service ALWAYS includes a wash.

AnilS.
VW Arteon
BMW Z4 Coupe