300 Mile Club (S1 RX8s) or 325 mile club for S2 RX8s

Place for discussions about the RX-8
dirtyleeds
Club Member
Club Member
Has thanked: 0

300 Mile Club (S1 RX8s) or 325 mile club for S2 RX8s

Post by dirtyleeds »

Well, I finally did it and wasn't even trying!!
Nice long trip from Leeds to Chichester, mostly cruising at 85 but still having fun at every roundabout I came across!

Original 300 mile thread seems to have dropped off so started another

Mod bit - title edited, this thread predates the R3 by a couple of years and has been re-titled to give equal levels of masochism for both Series 1 and Series 2 RX8 owners due to the larger fuel tank on the Series 2 RX8 making it easier to get 300 miles from a tank.
Attachments
300_Miles!.JPG
300_Miles!.JPG (39.36 KiB) Viewed 20622 times
These users thanked the author dirtyleeds for the post (total 3):
Dave2112 (Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:26 pm) • Milos_Balunovic (Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:48 pm) • Mazzarx8 (Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:03 am)
Former Club Secretary
Strato Blue 230 with ALL the optional extra's plus Hoop Spoiler, Borla Exhaust, MazdaSpeed CAI, RP High Flow CAT, RB Grills, and Fully Uprated Brakes - Gone but not forgotten!!
Born a northerner, always be a northerner - just came down south to take your jobs, money and women! :D
drago
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver
Been thanked: 0

Post by drago »

Nice one!

Looks like you could squeeze a couple of extra miles going by the position of the needle :)

I will hit the 300 mark one day :lol:
230 with leather,Racing Beat cat back,Revi intake, oil cooler/rad screens,sway bars and end links,s/s strakes and Tein flex coilovers!!
Zoom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zoom »

Me too, hopefully. But first have to get membership of the 200 mile club ! :)

Z
2003 / Hi / Tit / black leather / strakes
dirtyleeds
Club Member
Club Member

Post by dirtyleeds »

drago wrote:Looks like you could squeeze a couple of extra miles going by the position of the needle :)
Probably could have done but the petrol station was right there so didn't wanna risk it!! :)
Former Club Secretary
Strato Blue 230 with ALL the optional extra's plus Hoop Spoiler, Borla Exhaust, MazdaSpeed CAI, RP High Flow CAT, RB Grills, and Fully Uprated Brakes - Gone but not forgotten!!
Born a northerner, always be a northerner - just came down south to take your jobs, money and women! :D
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

I just cannot see how this is done... even driving really really sedately and I'm lucky to get over 200. Prettyt much bang on 50 miles for firstr 1/4, 100 by half way point and then another 50 by 3/4 ... no matter how I drive...

PS. I've done it once, but thats when I forgot to reset the trip counter!
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member
Tomsk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tomsk »

orbist wrote:I just cannot see how this is done... even driving really really sedately and I'm lucky to get over 200. Prettyt much bang on 50 miles for firstr 1/4, 100 by half way point and then another 50 by 3/4 ... no matter how I drive...
I think Delanor had the answer - something complicated to do with your body kit and prevailing eddyings and vorteces. :lol: :lol: :lol:
S/Silver, 192ps, b. Jan 2004 - 22,000 miles, 1 mod only (= oil cooler protection grilles), 2 ProDrives, 12 meets. Still feels like a new car !
Zoom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zoom »

orbist wrote:I just cannot see how this is done... even driving really really sedately and I'm lucky to get over 200. Prettyt much bang on 50 miles for firstr 1/4, 100 by half way point and then another 50 by 3/4 ... no matter how I drive...
Me too! Is this syndrome limited to the early cars ?

Z
RotaryMC
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RotaryMC »

Zoom wrote:

Z
Me too - mine's an early 2004 car and I've never come close to getting 300 miles - on short trips, long trips, motorways, using 6th gear, keeping in the rev band, everything. My best fuel consumption has come from spirited driving on A roads. Mind you, I do keep the air-con on all the time - could this make a big difference?
Now in a Lexus IS 250 SE after 4 great years in my:
Mazda RX-8 Titanium Grey 231
04 Reg
Racing Beat exhaust and grills, Strakes, Crest, Black Calipers with Decals
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

Think A/C has been proven to have very little effect on the MPG in the 8. All winter I drive with it off and it certainly doesn't improve things!
timechaser
Non Member
Non Member

Post by timechaser »

Orbist - think of the extra weight you are carrying in the car... :twisted:
No car - looking at a JDM RX-8 now.
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

LOL, the skirts and front end combined will weight less than the stock bumper. No fog lights too, no washer jets, etc LOL

The thing that does weigh a fair bit is the wing - solid FRP, but provides a very useful self-closing mechanism for the boot - no flat batteries here!
timechaser
Non Member
Non Member

Post by timechaser »

"in" the car :P
No car - looking at a JDM RX-8 now.
stuartmitch
Former Member
Former Member

Post by stuartmitch »

orbist wrote:LOL, the skirts and front end combined will weight less
Barry was talking about in the car... wasn't he?
VR HP with b/b leather - why would you do anything else? :shock:
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

Groan ! :wink:
fatboy_dave
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by fatboy_dave »

Hi Orbist

Check my entries on the 11 - 12 MPG thread. I commuted from Barrhead to Telford last summer (300 miles on M77, M8, M74, M6, M54) and back again for 10 weeks at 600 miles a week. I used to fill up before I left, and the only time the fuel light came on, before reaching my destination, was when I filled up with Sainsbury's fuel, never again! And I wasn't going slow either. I would typically cruise at 80+ mph, mainly due to idiot Audi A4 drivers tailgaiting me and the hevay holiday traffic on the M6 slowing me up. Usually covered the 300 miles in 4.5 to 5 hours, and that included a 'comfort break' at the Carlisle services. Got slightly better mpg when changed the climate control from 17C to 22C in the summer. It is, however, the stop starts at every M6 junction until you passed the turn-offs for Manchester that were the real killer on the mpg.

Although I have a 190, I am pretty sure that this can be done as well in the 230. Having a sixth gear in the 230 must be a benefit as well?

Cheers
Dave
Former owner of Velocity Red 190 Rx8, from Jan 2005 to March 2007. Now have an oil-burner for the 30,000 miles I do a year, and a Mini Cooper S for the weekend kicks.
SteveRhodes
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SteveRhodes »

Zoom wrote:

Z
I can confirm it's possible in an early edition. I have a late 2003 230 and recently drove down from Leeds to Winchester using mostly motorway & dual carriage A roads. I set off with the intention of reaching the magical 300 and managed it , got to 298 miles before the warning light came on so reckon I could have managed 340 no problem before filling up again. :D

However, I had to adopt a very sedate driving style to achieve it. Revs kept under 5000, very easy with the right foot, cruising in 6th but dropping down to 5th when overtaking or on uphill stretches.

Pretty painfull but I made up for it on the way back home :twisted:
Last edited by SteveRhodes on Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OCRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by OCRX8 »

fatboy_dave wrote:Hi Orbist

Check my entries on the 11 - 12 MPG thread. I commuted from Barrhead to Telford last summer (300 miles on M77, M8, M74, M6, M54) and back again for 10 weeks at 600 miles a week. I used to fill up before I left, and the only time the fuel light came on, before reaching my destination, was when I filled up with Sainsbury's fuel, never again! And I wasn't going slow either. I would typically cruise at 80+ mph, mainly due to idiot Audi A4 drivers tailgaiting me and the hevay holiday traffic on the M6 slowing me up. Usually covered the 300 miles in 4.5 to 5 hours, and that included a 'comfort break' at the Carlisle services. Got slightly better mpg when changed the climate control from 17C to 22C in the summer. It is, however, the stop starts at every M6 junction until you passed the turn-offs for Manchester that were the real killer on the mpg.

Although I have a 190, I am pretty sure that this can be done as well in the 230. Having a sixth gear in the 230 must be a benefit as well?

Cheers
Dave
The 5th gear ratio in the 190 is actually longer than the 6th gear ratio in the 230.
Winning Blue
Leather
Part of the family since 18/11/04
Was toying with the idea of selling Rexy but couldn't do it!
fatboy_dave
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by fatboy_dave »

glad I've a 190 then 8)
Former owner of Velocity Red 190 Rx8, from Jan 2005 to March 2007. Now have an oil-burner for the 30,000 miles I do a year, and a Mini Cooper S for the weekend kicks.
Zoom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zoom »

SteveRhodes wrote: I can confirm it's possible in an early edition.....
Well done SteveRhodes !

I'm so relieved that the resale value of the early cars has not plummeted as a result ! :)

Z
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

March 04 230 here on for a record this week.

265 miles done. still over 1/4 tank to go :shock:
Bog standard shell 95 btw.
Mostly motorway cruising at about 75 (due to traffic)

100 miles done on 1st qtr, 190 to 1/2 (record for my car)

Had the bonnet realigned, after a ham fisted bodyshop ballsed it up.

The new aero dynamics are working nicely.

As are the 'specs cameras' on the M1. 40mph for about 12 miles each way ](*,)

A sedate ish drive up the A1 tonight should see me to 350.

Think I'll take a petrol can ( and the camera of course!) :wink:
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

Juey wrote:
I'd be happy with 190 to empty never mind half :shock:
Phantom
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Phantom »

orbist wrote:
Juey wrote:
I'd be happy with 190 to empty never mind half :shock:
:conifers:
230 Silver : leather : front crest : strakes
fatboy_dave
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by fatboy_dave »

Drove 500 miles yesterday in the 8. Barrhead to Macclesfield and back. Stopped once on the way there, and once once on the way back. Kept the speedo at 78mph, with my RoadAngel telling me 74 to 75. Between Barrhead and Carlisle, I got 27 mpg. I assume because of the Southern Uplands.

Between Carlisle to Macclesfield and back to Carlisle, I got 30 mpg. I assume it was the heat, the car was recording 27C as I drove through the Manchester rush hour on the M60/M61 with a few miles at 40 mph due to road works. Experienced, again, the fuel needle sticking at two marks below the half way mark for 36 miles. By the time I had filled up at Carlisle it read 237 miles and the needle was still stuck at two marks below half way. Don't know how much longer it would have stayed there, but it took onboard 35.7 litres (4.54 litres - 1 UK gallon) giving me 30.1 mpg. A new record for me.

The mpg gets better and better. I've now done 12.3k miles in my 190. I checked my oil this morning (Castrol GTX Magnatec) and it only took around 200mls to bring it back up to full. I wonder when the rotor tips will give out? :D
stuartm
Former Member
Former Member

Post by stuartm »

I managed to get 300miles on 51 litres but it was the most soul destroying week & a half :cry: of my ownership.
Im going back to how i normally drive (250 to a tank) & i'll get my grin back :wink:
For Sale.......Whiteline adjustable anti-roll-bars front & rear.
SteveW
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by SteveW »

I got 30.1mpg on a motorway and dual carriageway journey on Friday. 13.17 litres/87.3 miles. That was deliberately driving in maximum economy mode, sticking to 70 by the GPS, 73/74 by the speedo, using 6th as much as possible, small throttle openings, gentle acceleration.

I drove it more normally on the way back, and got 23.0mpg.

Driving back was more fun.
2004 Elise 111R
2004 350Z
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT estate

Return to “RX-8 Discussion”