Dealer Service costs and General Information.

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Smoove666
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Smoove666 »

25,000 mile service yesterday. Creaky drivers seat fixed (again, but the dealer - Newport Mazda, reckon they have cracked it this time - we'll see :D ). Cost me £160 - didn't bother supplying my own oil - lazy git :lol:

Incidentally, apparently the ex-demo car that they sold on was in last week for a new engine :shock: . I'm not surprised though - it was the same demo car that I had for my test drive :twisted:

All in all, very good service, and a pretty good attitude. Service Manager even admitted that some 8 owners knew more about what was going on with the car than they did (TSBs etc). I filled him in on the Club, so now he knows how and why we are all so well informed. Got to keep them on there toes :D

Cheers

Jon
Ex-Winning Blue 230 (01/03/04), Leather, Toyo Proxes T-1Rs, US B-Pillar Trims, Racing Beat exhaust system, K&N
Ex-Winning Blue MX-5 2.0 Sport, lowering kit
Black 3 MPS Aero Kit - GLF :-)
andys
Former Member
Former Member

Confused re second service?

Post by andys »

I've been told by one dealer that the service intervals for a 230 bhp are every year or 12,500 miles?

If this is the case then after buying my 8 on 4500 miles at one year old in Jan of this year and having a first year service then, my car is now on 16,800 and is now due another service (as told by the garage I purchased it!!! however another dealer has said to me that the second service is at 25,000 or two years, which is confusing me a lot as I thought the service intervals are every 12,500??

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ex High Powered (Sunlight Silver) Jan 04 53 Plate. Replaced with new Audi A4 TDI
orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist »

druck wrote: The reason being the service takes care of some items which need to be replaced after so many miles (oil, spark plugs etc), and some which need to be checked on a regular basis (body corrosion inspections).

Cheers
---Dave
Dave, the body corrosion stuff needs to be done on 1 year, 2 year etc dates and can be thought of as independant of the servicing.

I had mine done back in Dec even although the 2nd service was then done in May, will have to take it back in Dec for the 2nd year bodywork check.
RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member
andys
Former Member
Former Member

Still not solved second service issue??????????

Post by andys »

I still can not get two garages to agree re when my second service is due.

one says every 12,500 miles or year which ever is first.

The other says the second service is at two years old or 25,000 miles which ever is first

just as a reminder my HP 8 is now on 17000, when I purchased it in Jan of this year it was on 4500 and one year old, the garage gave it its first service.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody who works for Mazda and not a dealer might help on this issue..?????????
Ex High Powered (Sunlight Silver) Jan 04 53 Plate. Replaced with new Audi A4 TDI
andys
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Still not solved second service issue??????????

Post by andys »

druck wrote:
andys wrote:I still can not get two garages to agree re when my second service is due.

one says every 12,500 miles or year which ever is first.

The other says the second service is at two years old or 25,000 miles which ever is first

just as a reminder my HP 8 is now on 17000, when I purchased it in Jan of this year it was on 4500 and one year old, the garage gave it its first service.
Go with b, and get it done at 2 years / 25000 miles. Its a bit of an unusual situation having done so few miles in its first 12 months, and then a dramtic increase in milage for the second 12, but as the first service is not much more than an oil change and a quick look round, the extended second stint wont do any harm. From your milage since Janauary, I suspect you'll be hitting 25K almost bang on 2 years.

Cheers
---Dave

Dave, thanks for the help although I am still concerned about the warrenty issue if B is incorrect and I wait for 25,000 miles I'll be way over flexibility between services that makes your warrenty invalid.????
SnowySlopes
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SnowySlopes »

Hi All,

Just had my 25K service done at John Pease in Braintree. They give 10% discount for the Owners Club and I supplied my own Oil. Even so it was a pleasent surprise to only be charged £92.35.

Cheers

John
John

HP, VR, Black leather & SatNav

Going round (and round and round) roundabouts is fun :) !
andys
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Still not solved second service issue??????????

Post by andys »

druck wrote:
andys wrote:Dave, thanks for the help although I am still concerned about the warrenty issue if B is incorrect and I wait for 25,000 miles I'll be way over flexibility between services that makes your warrenty invalid.????
If you check in the log book it says (b). (a) is not strickly correct as it assumes you always do a constant amount of miles, so either every year for under 12K5 milage, or every 12K5 if you do more than that in a year. It doesn't take in to account doing under in the 1st and over in the 2nd, which causes a gap of more than 12K5 between services, but you aren't braking either the time between services, or the milage by which the 2nd service is due.

Cheers
---Dave
I’ve just had it confirm by Mazda that the service interval on the 8’s are every 12.500 miles end off with one month/1000 flexibility.

I better get it into the garage quick.
DuncanH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by DuncanH »

SnowySlopes wrote:Hi All,

Just had my 25K service done at John Pease in Braintree. They give 10% discount for the Owners Club and I supplied my own Oil. Even so it was a pleasent surprise to only be charged £92.35.

Cheers

John
£94 from Knightsbridge Mazda in Stockport. Supplied 3 full 1L bottles of Oilman's finest + used bottle that contained approx 600ml, in the boot. The 3 full bottles had gone when I picked the car up but the 600ml hadn't been touched.

Odd that there seems to be some discrepency between service centres as to how much oil is being used.

All brakes had been tested and reset (squeeling and pull-to-right symptoms).

Some new "bits" have apparently been ordered for the broken handbrake shroud.
--------------oOo--------------

Duncan Hamnett
Jooster
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Jooster »

Had my 12.5K first service last week done at Alan Gibson in Basingstoke. Also had the fuel tank insulation recall and PCM upgrade.

£109 with me supplying 4 litres of oil - Advertised price on the board in the showroom was £141.

I mentioned that my alloys might be starting to corrode around the centre. They weren't interested in the corroding hubs though - their excuse is that it's due to the extremes of temperature caused by the brake discs heating up - "it's just one of those things" - apparently!

I think I'd rather get some smooth hammerite and do it myself anyway.
Winning Blue - Got one at last!
SeanP
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by SeanP »

Had my first annual service, with 11.3K on the clock, at Hughes Mazda Amersham today. Also had the fuel tank insulation recall work done.

They quoted me £147 when I booked, but that was with their oil. Cost was £109 including insurance for the courtesy car, and with my own supply of 4l of Oilman's finest.

No discount for RX8OC and they do apparently honour MX5OC members with a discount :(

They've taken photos of the alloys for Mazda UK inspection - they're definintely showing signs of corrosion on the centres, and I also found a bubbled spot on one of the spokes whilst washing at the weekend.

They fixed the brake squeaks by cleaning the pads.

Tyres are all at 5mm (rotated around 7.5K); not bad for 11.3K miles? Oddly, when I inspected them at the weekend, the fronts looked far more worn than the rears - so I'll have to do a more scientific inspection, next time :)
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.
Stratogirl
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by Stratogirl »

Just had my Strato returned from its first service.
Cost me £97 which included their oil, and bodywork check for free as I booked it to be done at same time - nice :D

They also did the recall work for the fuel tank insulation.

Haven't driven it yet, but how will I know that the fuel tank work has been done?
Does anyone have any useful pics of anything around this area I should be looking for?

Generally excellent service form Robinsons in Leicester
Gone but never forgotten - Strato Blue 230, Black Leather. New rear door on warranty. Front crest, & now shiny shiny ss strakes !
RotaryMC
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RotaryMC »

Agree with druck, it's not obvious what's been done for the fuel tank recall. I had the back end up on axle stands last weekend so I could get the new alloys off and give 'em a good waxing, and I couldn't really see what had been done around the fuel tank. I wasn't prepared to climb underneath the car completely to get a better look though!
Now in a Lexus IS 250 SE after 4 great years in my:
Mazda RX-8 Titanium Grey 231
04 Reg
Racing Beat exhaust and grills, Strakes, Crest, Black Calipers with Decals
ploz
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by ploz »

You will all be pleased to know that the price of oil has plumetted over the last year or so. How do I know? Essex Mazda in Southend managed a £32 discount for my first service for supplying my own oil (Oilman's best), but ringing up for a price today for a second service, first it was a £10 discount and then a £20 discount on conferring with the Service Manager.

If onley it were that cheap :?
There once was a man from Essex,
Who was potty over Mazda RXs.
He ordered an 8,
and had to wait,
But when it arrived, said "tis better than sex is".
Ancient Mariner
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Looks like they are charging you corkage ploz!
AW8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AW8 »

ploz wrote:You will all be pleased to know that the price of oil has plumetted over the last year or so. How do I know? Essex Mazda in Southend managed a £32 discount for my first service for supplying my own oil (Oilman's best), but ringing up for a price today for a second service, first it was a £10 discount and then a £20 discount on conferring with the Service Manager.

If only it were that cheap :?
As i'm keeping my 8 and second service due thought I'd get up to to date on servicing costs.

The above seems a bit naughty to say the least. I can only assume we should first phone dealers and query price per litre of oil inc vat. Then get price for service and then ask how many litres of oil required for service then deduct that figure from quoted price and confirm this is the total cost. A really paranoid owner would have to ask for supplied oil bottles to be placed in boot after service to ensure our own oil was used. Interstingly I took car to dealers for first service last year with 4 bottles having checked o ammount required first - only to get a call from dealers saying technician stated I didn't have enough oil resulting in me dropping off another bottle. On collecting the car 0.5 litre of my Total Quartz 9000 semi synthetic , (vitrually if not exactly the same as the mazda dexlia),
was in the bottle indicating they needed 4.5 litres to fill sump.

Posted here as I see this as a service cost thread.

Any views/comments re litres required and quoted litre costs from dealers to deduct etc appreciated

Off to check threads re which dealers do club discounts to hopefully give me negotiation power- will try to negotiate a club discount with Nyetimber Mazda again but last year little interest - that said new service reception manager now who is a little more customer friendly and not so dismissive of the club.
VR 230 owned 2003-2006 - Never to be forgotten.
steburton
Non Member
Non Member

Post by steburton »

Righty, I've got my 2nd service coming up. The cheapest I've seen on this thread has been £90 (excluding oil).

In the North East at Christmas I paid I dealer a visit and they stated £141 (inc oil), which is actually quite interesting as the dealer I normally go to (in the south) is about to charge me £191 (inc oil). I know people get paid more in the south ;-) , but an extra £50 seems like a bit of a p!55 take.

I would hate to try and get a quote from a London dealer...
Ex-Winning Blue with MazdaSpeed & Racing Beat bells and whistles.

Still got 190bhp, now its an Exige :-)
IainC
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by IainC »

Just had my 1st service at MKG3000 in Twickenham. Very impressed. Good bunch of guys.

Supplied my own oil, and with the new 10% club discount the bill came in at just under £100.

They did the bodywork check, rotated the tyres, cleaned the car, did the exhaust recall and sent off photos of my corroding alloys to Mazda.... so hopefully will get them replaced shortly (they seemed to think they could get replacements pretty quick now).
Former Mazda & Dealer Liaison Officer
Former Owner of a High Power Titanium Grey, Leather, Stainless Steel Strakes, Racing Beat Grills, Racing Beat Exhaust, Carbon Powder Coated Wheels with Bridgestone RE050As AND loved it!
AnilS
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by AnilS »

IainC wrote:sent off photos of my corroding alloys to Mazda.... so hopefully will get them replaced shortly (they seemed to think they could get replacements pretty quick now).
Iain, alloys are now being received at dealers approx 8 weeks from photos being sent off.

Mine were here in that time, but will need to book them in.

AnilS.
Lexx
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Lexx »

steburton wrote:
In the North East at Christmas I paid I dealer a visit and they stated £141 (inc oil), which is actually quite interesting as the dealer I normally go to (in the south) is about to charge me £191 (inc oil). I know people get paid more in the south ;-) , but an extra £50 seems like a bit of a p!55 take.
Interested to know which dealer up here that quote was from.....

Al
steburton
Non Member
Non Member

Post by steburton »

Darlington, £141 was printed on their Mazda Service Price List...compared to the £194 that is printed on my dealers price list...
Ex-Winning Blue with MazdaSpeed & Racing Beat bells and whistles.

Still got 190bhp, now its an Exige :-)
Lexx
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Lexx »

steburton wrote:
Darlington, £141 was printed on their Mazda Service Price List...compared to the £194 that is printed on my dealers price list...
SG petch then. There probs the best dealer up this way. Jennings were asking £180 last I checked.
Snake
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Snake »

Got my 8 booked in for 2 year service this saturday £98 (excluding oil).
or £150 if i change the Aldehyde Filter
IainC
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by IainC »

AnilS wrote:
IainC wrote:sent off photos of my corroding alloys to Mazda.... so hopefully will get them replaced shortly (they seemed to think they could get replacements pretty quick now).
Iain, alloys are now being received at dealers approx 8 weeks from photos being sent off.
Just had the call from the garage, and the alloys are ready and waiting! So, pretty pleased with that (in a week and a half).
Former Mazda & Dealer Liaison Officer
Former Owner of a High Power Titanium Grey, Leather, Stainless Steel Strakes, Racing Beat Grills, Racing Beat Exhaust, Carbon Powder Coated Wheels with Bridgestone RE050As AND loved it!
RichardK
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by RichardK »

Off the top of my head, the local dealer - Border Cars of Carlisle - quoted me £80 (either £77 or just over £80) for the menu priced first service, and £106 for the second.

I couldn't believe it. My VW dealer charged me £196 for an oil change for my Beetle.
Was: 121 cars in 15 years. Now 183 cars in 30 years - back to RX-8!

2022 - Cygnus - LY04 VAM. 2004 RX-8 231 Nordic Green, Stone (was black) leather. Strakes to follow...
Others: 2007 MX-5 2.0 Sport, 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Cabrio, 1995 ZAZ Tavria, 1968 Spitfire
2006-2008 era: FH55 OBW - 2006 RX-8 190 Galaxy Grey, Cloth, SSStrakes, RBScreens
Tomsk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tomsk »

steburton wrote:Righty, I've got my 2nd service coming up. The cheapest I've seen on this thread has been £90 (excluding oil).

I would hate to try and get a quote from a London dealer...
It definitely seems to go with the region. Being in the proximity of S.W. London I was charged the displayed figure of £178 for second service, plus additional for bodywork inspection. In a year's time it's the biggie, at a wallet-busting £338 plus of course the MoT.
S/Silver, 192ps, b. Jan 2004 - 22,000 miles, 1 mod only (= oil cooler protection grilles), 2 ProDrives, 12 meets. Still feels like a new car !