Place for discussions about the RX-8
Rich947
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Copper Red

Wrap and respray quotes

Post by Rich947 »

Hi all, I've been looking at either a respray or wrap as a possibility to restore the bodywork which is starting to show it's age. I've had respray quotes in the £3k-5k range and one quote for a wrap at £2k - I appreciate there is variability depending on where in the country and the condition of the car, but does that seem in the right ballpark? Admittedly only one wrap place has replied with a quote, but that in particular seemed a little higher than I was expecting.
Cscameron
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Custom

Re: Wrap and respray quotes

Post by Cscameron »

Sounds about right for a respray but that sounds cheap for a wrap compared to here - both will of course be colour/finish dependant

When deciding which way to go remember that if you get stone chips/scratches on a wrap that’s pretty much it ruined, whereas you can touch in paintwork 👍
You can call me Madam Secretary 8)
GlowingBulb
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by GlowingBulb »

I took my Rex to a local body shop that has done loads of work for me in the past, usually SMART repairs but I know his work to be excellent. He's also probably the cheapest in my area.

I was quoted £3k yesterday which included repairing a few blemishes & supermarket dints, full respray (external only) & restoring the alloys.

Sounds like you're in the right ballpark at £3kish without knowing what other work is needed before paint is applied.

Apologies if I'm telling you what you know but if you're considering a wrap, the body underneath needs to be blemish free the same as with a respray; any small imperfections will most probably either show up as a potential bubble or visible mark.
Brilliant Black 231
RRP MK3 coils, PZ boot spoiler, K&N high flow panel filter, Rotary Revs custom tune + P&B's, Gravity Decat, Pettit Racing Cat-Back
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SeriousSam »

I had a quote for £3-4k from my local bodyshop, but that was including some margin for error with aftermarket body panels that I haven't sourced or fitted yet. Fit first time and line up flush, 3k. Needs some fettling, add a bit. So yeah, those respray quotes sound about right.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Having seen some commercial vehicles that had previously be wrapped with advertising etc, you need to be very careful who you select to do the wrapping.

May shops at the low end of the pricing take very little care in avoiding damage to the underlying paint when cutting and trimming the vinyl, often cutting into the clearcoat and sometimes right down to the metal.

This can result in the paint/wrap lifting at the edges and also means that the underlying paint is left in a total mess when/if the the wrap is removed.

Also check with your insurer to see how much they would increase the premium to include the wrap, or if it would be excluded from cover.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by MightyCondor »

Painting seems to be a bit of a minefield and generally takes a very long period of time. I'm aware of various horror stories and have my own.

Having had my RX-7 painted recently I've ultimately ended up with a very tidy job for under 3k, which included everything except the engine bay. However you can spend much more on a paint job and results will vary.

The car was originally supposed to be painted by someone else, who ultimately wasted a year of my time. Having seen another red RX-7 painted by him, I'm at least thankful that mine is a much higher quality job.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

I think generally it’s best to go with someone who you trust rather than the cheapest. Rather pay more the first time for a job well done that will last.
These users thanked the author Lucky 8 Racing for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:10 am)
All of the rotors, none of the compression
Rich947
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rich947 »

Thanks all, definitely food for thought. I wasn't aware of the potential for issues with the wrap if the paint underneath wasn't blemish free or if it gets chipped/scratched. It's definitely not blemish free as it still has the aftermath of my DIY attempt at painting the area around the fuel filler.

Given it's only worth £1800ish anyway I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it, although the accumulated scratches etc are irritating.
These users thanked the author Rich947 for the post:
GlowingBulb (Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:30 am)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

It might be worth getting someone to give you a quote for smart repairs, rather than a total respray.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Rich947
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rich947 »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:49 pm
It might be worth getting someone to give you a quote for smart repairs, rather than a total respray.
By smart repairs do you mean something like ChipsAway? Or is this something more specific?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Chipsaway are a (potentially) good example.

The materials they use are fine and their franchisee training is okay.

However I've had mixed results when using them.

One guy was great and went to a lot of trouble to do a good job at a fair price.

Another gave such a bad impression just viewing for the quote that I wasn't going to let him near the car again.

They charge nothing to come out and give you a price, so always worth a try.

Then again a lot of bodyshops offer smart paint fixing, and there are independent mobile guys.

However, cold and damp aren't good conditions for outside jobs.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Lucky7
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Lucky7 »

Hi, I don't think you are far from me. Fortunately I have had no need for any paint on my RX8 for years with last being a dealer insurance repair. But for other vehicles I have used Mark 1 in Sear Green several times and I know others that have as well with no issues at a reasonable price. Also Excel motor services Chesham sprayed the bumper and three side panels and refurbed wheels on a Toyota I had for a very good price and they fixed my Dad's Hyundai to a good standard after he drove it into a skip and did a lot of damage. In both cases colour match and quality spot on, more than I can say for the dealer who took three attempts to get my RX8 right. If you visit Excel ask for Tony or Z, they are familiar with my RX8 having last serviced and MoT'd it a couple of weeks back. Neither of these garages are anything fancy to look at but at least in my experience their work has been good and good value.
These users thanked the author Lucky7 for the post:
Rich947 (Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:54 am)
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

Remember you get different grades of vinyl.
Thickness.
How long will the colour last before fading.
There’s quite a few variations.
So what you think may me a really good quote ask what grade of vinyl they will be using.

Any potential damage scratches on the car will have to be rectified before wrapping.

There’s a guy that does wrapping that uses the barn (Reigate Hill) where I store my Sprint.
His Dad also does bodywork.
I can pass his number on if interested
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member

Post by dac69er »

Resprays, like everything else, are massively more expensive than a few years ago.

I have used various places over the years from cheap to expensive and I have never been 100% happy with any of them.

It is a minefield and a lot of money to spend for something that just looks arse if the wrong person does it.
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

dac69er wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:24 pm
Resprays, like everything else, are massively more expensive than a few years ago.

I have used various places over the years from cheap to expensive and I have never been 100% happy with any of them.

It is a minefield and a lot of money to spend for something that just looks arse if the wrong person does it.
The cost of Paint ETC has literally gone thru the roof.

This guy is in a different league.
Has done plenty of award winning Cars Vans ETC.
His booking in time is worth waiting for.

https://spikesvintagerestoration.com/services
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
Rich947
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rich947 »

Lucky7 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:57 pm
Hi, I don't think you are far from me. Fortunately I have had no need for any paint on my RX8 for years with last being a dealer insurance repair. But for other vehicles I have used Mark 1 in Sear Green several times and I know others that have as well with no issues at a reasonable price. Also Excel motor services Chesham sprayed the bumper and three side panels and refurbed wheels on a Toyota I had for a very good price and they fixed my Dad's Hyundai to a good standard after he drove it into a skip and did a lot of damage. In both cases colour match and quality spot on, more than I can say for the dealer who took three attempts to get my RX8 right. If you visit Excel ask for Tony or Z, they are familiar with my RX8 having last serviced and MoT'd it a couple of weeks back. Neither of these garages are anything fancy to look at but at least in my experience their work has been good and good value.
I don't think we're far away at all (my other half grew up in Beaconsfield) so thanks for the recommendations, I'll give them a go. :thumright: