Whilst I may have (metaphorically) Taken a bullet, I think I dodged the bomb

Place for discussions about the RX-8
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Whilst I may have (metaphorically) Taken a bullet, I think I dodged the bomb

Post by R1DSO »

PaulAV wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 pm
That is true, but the chances of them rusting is also less, you could use hamerite or similar on them, it's just easier to apply a coat of grease or waxoyl, no real prep required.
OK, planning on getting to this tomorrow as a Father’s Day activity :D. Really hope I don’t find any signs of leaks to stall my visit to Brands on Tuesday [-o<. But, better the devil you know.
These users thanked the author R1DSO for the post:
PaulAV (Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 am)
2009 R3 in sparkling black
Racing Beat REVi ram air duct
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header / mid pipe
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Carbotech XP10 pads / Mintex discs / Motul RBF600
Russell speed bleeders
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

1990 Eunos Roadster V-Spec in BRG
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Whilst I may have (metaphorically) Taken a bullet, I think I dodged the bomb

Post by Clive »

Sorry to hear you have had a problem Rod, Mazda obviously never learnt from the S1 when even the free recall pipes went just as rotten, just as fast as the ones they replaced. This is the third R3 failure I have heard of in as many weeks. Wow our roads must be soooo bad as Racing Beat recon we are the only people who by the R3 version!!
These users thanked the author Clive for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:47 pm)
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Right hand drive means those pipes are exposed to a lot of water in the gutters/potholes
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

One of the reasons that Japanese cars suffer so much from corrosion (remember Datsun?) is that in Japan they don't put salt on the roads.

I was in a meeting in Germany between Mazda, Ford, Volvo and JLR engineers, focused on corrosion protection.

The Japanese still didn't really believe how corrosive road salt is compared to just being near the sea - which is their "equivalent".
They have artificially accelerated test facilities but still didn't understand that the real world can be nearly as bad.

The arguments were going in circles with the Mazda guys arguing that the European manufacturers should be putting their efforts into lobbying governments to ban salt on the road, fixing the issue at source.

They were taken outside and shown a Fiesta and Mazda 121, both built side-by-side in Dagenham, with hardly any rust after 3 years, and a Mazda 2(?), built in Japan that was only 18 months old and already suffering.

Modern road salts even include additives to help it cling to surfaces, so it doesn't get blown or washed away, which also makes it stick under the cars.

Some conspiracy theorists believe that this is part of a plan to keep turnover within the auto industry, not just to make profits for the manufacturers but because most western economies rely on it...
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:47 pm) • R1DSO (Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:53 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

R1DSO wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:33 pm
delta0 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:50 pm
Mine failed on the drivers side connector on the line that connects the two radiators together.
Good to know, thanks :thumleft:. Out of interest, what (if anything) needs to be removed to get a clear view of this failure point?
I didn’t do it, Aston did. I would expect the undertray would be the easiest way to check them all. Otherwise possibly the wheel arch access panel
These users thanked the author delta0 for the post:
R1DSO (Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:53 pm)
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Wheel arch is easiest as the undertray doesn't extend to the side/infront of wheels
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post (total 3):
delta0 (Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:16 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:47 pm) • R1DSO (Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:53 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

warpc0il wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 am
One of the reasons that Japanese cars suffer so much from corrosion (remember Datsun?) is that in Japan they don't put salt on the roads.

I was in a meeting in Germany between Mazda, Ford, Volvo and JLR engineers, focused on corrosion protection.

The Japanese still didn't really believe how corrosive road salt is compared to just being near the sea - which is their "equivalent".
They have artificially accelerated test facilities but still didn't understand that the real world can be nearly as bad.

The arguments were going in circles with the Mazda guys arguing that the European manufacturers should be putting their efforts into lobbying governments to ban salt on the road, fixing the issue at source.

They were taken outside and shown a Fiesta and Mazda 121, both built side-by-side in Dagenham, with hardly any rust after 3 years, and a Mazda 2(?), built in Japan that was only 18 months old and already suffering.

Modern road salts even include additives to help it cling to surfaces, so it doesn't get blown or washed away, which also makes it stick under the cars.

Some conspiracy theorists believe that this is part of a plan to keep turnover within the auto industry, not just to make profits for the manufacturers but because most western economies rely on it...
I‘ve heard that airport runway salt/de-icer is incredibly corrosive. It would appear that the better the de-icer is at melting ice, the worse it is for non-galvanised machinery :?.

Very interesting to hear the Japanese POV on this. I understand that mainland Japan use a combination of heated roads and chemicals rather than salt, and ice/snow isn’t cleared from roads across a lot of the country - drivers either buy winter tyres/studs/chains, or don’t go out.

I was contemplating an imported NA MX-5/Eunos before settling on the RX-8 and read on the UK owner’s forum that salt is actually used on the Japanese island of Hokkaido. As such, no imports (should) come from there. If that is true, it’s strange that Mazda still bury their head in the sand on the corrosion matter.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

PaulAV wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:04 pm
Wheel arch is easiest as the undertray doesn't extend to the side/infront of wheels
Thanks for the tip. I’ll pop the wheel arches out and have a good look at both potential failure points tomorrow :thumleft:.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged

Post by Clive »

Personally I think the biggest issue is the way the plastic surounds the pipes, meaning the pipes cant dry out as there's no air flow around them plus the moisture stays around, killing the pipes.
These users thanked the author Clive for the post:
R1DSO (Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:50 am)
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

I got a good look at the easily accessible points on my oil cooler lines today. Some corrosion, but fortunately no signs of any leaks to date or drips when running. Good news for what’s looking like it’ll be a 30 degree track day this week!
1D99C721-C325-479A-9093-8D2685A2EE8F.jpeg
58D079EF-2287-40D1-83DF-4CA58F42B006.jpeg
30EA7503-2C01-4EC0-8908-B4C44B9DA505.jpeg
Interestingly, the lower driver’s side line under the wheel arch was most corroded. I would have thought that the passenger side would have had a rougher time, due to getting sprayed in more puddles and crap at the side of the road.

I did, however, pull out about half a flower pot’s worth of soil from behind the driver’s side side skirt and in the holes behind the back of the front wing, so perhaps that had something to do with it :shock:.

As suggested, I caked the problem areas in some Castrol automotive grease, gentling rubbing off the surface rust flakes from the most corroded line in the process.
69D00D38-1AE5-48FD-9B2D-14D8B6F1836B.jpeg
457282D4-FC42-429D-AEB2-4D225B690CE8.jpeg
Based on these pictures, does anyone care to take an informed guess as to how long I’ve got until I really need to be replacing my lines? Further corrosion should be kept at bay. My RX-8 is parked in a garage and will rarely see another wet road in my ownership, doing perhaps 5k miles a year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

You should be good for a few years at least, it's interesting to see that the ferrules at the end of the hoses seem worse than the metal sections of pipe, on mine it was the metal section of pipe that was failing
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
R1DSO (Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:29 pm)
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

This is where mine suffered
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
R1DSO (Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:29 pm)
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

PaulAV wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:14 pm
You should be good for a few years at least, it's interesting to see that the ferrules at the end of the hoses seem worse than the metal sections of pipe, on mine it was the metal section of pipe that was failing
This is good news indeed, thanks for the the steer and comparison pic Paul :thumright:.

Very strange to see the differing points of corrosion. It’s almost like every third component is a duff one. Either that, or there’s a differing level and point of exposure to the elements due to piping and arch liner fitment variations :-k.
These users thanked the author R1DSO for the post:
PaulAV (Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:36 pm)
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by brix79 »

I found that the pipe itself was where the corrosion proved terminal. Seems to often be worst under the protective rubber sleeve, under the bracket.
The connector seemed to be ok..

2020-01-23-16.34.59.jpg
2020-01-26-17.32.jpg
2020-02-23-17.11.jpg

Looks better now. :D

IMG_20200307_143021.jpg
Don't lose those little circlip type clips, Mazda don't sell them separately! I'm sure it could hardly be described as impossible to make something up if needs be, but they are kinda important.. :D
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

brix79 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:29 pm
I found that the pipe itself was where the corrosion proved terminal. Seems to often be worst under the protective rubber sleeve, under the bracket.
The connector seemed to be ok..

2020-01-23-16.34.59.jpg
2020-01-26-17.32.jpg
2020-02-23-17.11.jpg

Looks better now. :D

IMG_20200307_143021.jpg

Don't lose those little circlip type clips, Mazda don't sell them separately! I'm sure it could hardly be described as impossible to make something up if needs be, but they are kinda important.. :D
I’m reading this and Clive’s post and wondering whether I should have tried to peel back the plastic/rubber sleeves to see the metal pipes beneath them :-k. These didn’t seem to be removable when I looked, at least not without dismantling the lines.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by brix79 »

It was relatively easy to remove the little bracket, and once that's off you can move the sleeves easily enough. Thinking about it again, it wasn't under the sleeve that was the worst part, but still worth checking I guess.
These users thanked the author brix79 for the post:
R1DSO (Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:49 am)
John
Forum Admin Team

R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

brix79 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:04 am
It was relatively easy to remove the little bracket, and once that's off you can move the sleeves easily enough. Thinking about it again, it wasn't under the sleeve that was the worst part, but still worth checking I guess.
Got it, thanks for the clarification John :thumleft:. I won't worry about it too much then, but will have a look next time I have the wheel arch liner off.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

Am I seeing double 😁
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by brix79 »

Not anymore! :D
John
Forum Admin Team

bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

Phew i can resume drinking then....👍
These users thanked the author bigpete8 for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:27 pm)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie »

I've got a Racing Beat kit waiting to go on mine, £600 for the R3 version. Although its looking like there no use to me with my new engine set up. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing, lol.