RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Whilst I may have (metaphorically) Taken a bullet, I think I dodged the bomb

Post by RX8R3Rod »

I had to travel to Swindon and back over the weekend, so got up at 2:30AM and had a brilliant drive down - zero traffic = v good progress ;) - and was back home in Newark by about 9:30 am same day.

When I was about half a mile from home, my oil warning light flashed a couple of times, went solid for about a second, and then went off and stayed off. :shock:

Hmmm, ... so when I got home I checked the oil, and you could see just a smidgin right at the bottom of the loooong R3 dipstick.

Poured some fresh oil in and watched it fall onto the ground.

Then I noticed oil was sprayed all over the passenger side front wheel, and then all down that side of the car, and the rear bumper (thank heavens for Paintshield!).

I was able to get the AA out on Monday with a trailer suitable for looow cars, and they were brilliant. Really careful and considerate of the car.

They weren’t however keen to take it to Batley, so got it in at my local Mazda dealer in Boston, who have always been excellent.

They phoned back this morning ... corroded oil filter lines. The first they’d seen on an R3.

They hope to have it back and running in a few days time.

So whilst I’ll be somewhat poorer after this, at least I dodged the grenade of the last bit of oil spitting out the car when I was wanging along on the A46, which could have been very expensive news indeed. #-o

Sometimes it seems the Gods of motoring do shine upon us ... at least in relative terms :thumleft:
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Whilst I may have (metaphorically) Taken a bullet, I think I dodged the bomb

Post by kopite72 »

You were indeed very lucky Rod,that could have been a whole lot worse :shock: Mine went a few years back so I replaced them,it happens.

Are you going to replace them with some Racingbeat ones?
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Whilst I may have (metaphorically) Taken a bullet, I think I dodged the bomb

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Hi Ian,

I think I really was! 🤔

I would have done the RB ones if I could have got to RR, but seems not so much of an option at a main dealer.

Still, and to be fair I guess, they’ve lasted 10 years so if a new set do the same I suppose I can’t complain too much?

It could have been so much worse if it had happened literally just 5 minutes earlier.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

RX8R3Rod wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:07 pm
They phoned back this morning ... corroded oil filter lines. The first they’d seen on an R3.
Did you mean oil cooler lines Rod :?:

Glad you got it sorted :thumleft:

Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.
Dom-PZ
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Dom-PZ »

You still had to go to Swindon, so despite some mild luck it was overall a crappy day
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I would advise that once you get it back, you revive the wheel arch liner at the front and cover the new lines with waxoyl or similar (even grease) to help protect them going forwards
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
deekhubert
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by deekhubert »

Can I clarify the waxoiling of the oil lines, whilst I like things new and shiny if the outer stainless steel mesh is not a factor, more than happy to cover mine in liberal quantities
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

If you have stainless braided hoses they wouldn't need waxoyl (with maybe the exception of the end fittings depending on what they are made of) I'm more referring to new oem hoses.
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Doh! #-o And double Doh! #-o #-o

Thanks for clarifying Mark. 👍🏻 I must say / repeat that version of the MX5 you have is a real peach, isn’t it?

Also top suggestion thanks Paul re the Waxoyl... one can (almost) never have too much IMHO 😁
These users thanked the author RX8R3Rod for the post (total 2):
PaulAV (Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:03 pm) • MARKTHOMASBRAND (Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:30 am)
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
SeanP
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by SeanP »

RX8R3Rod wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:07 pm
Mine went earlier this year and were replaced by Luke Murdoch...
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

I remember when mine went a few years ago. I went to a kart race first thing in the morning in Chatham and on the way everytime I braked the car pulled to one side. I thought that's weird but I just thought I'd make it to the race and investigate after. On the way home I did some more brake tests and it kept pulling. So I started to pull in to some services near gravesend to see what was going on and as I went down the slip road, a load of lights suddenly went up on the dashboard but I managed to park up almost immediately after.

I was glad of my roadside assistance that day but I remember that it was a very long day as I went through 3 hops on transporter trucks, and finally got home. And then the next day another transporter to get the car to Mazda, where they told me it was the oil cooler lines. I guess the brakes pulling were oil on the disc one side or something.

Never thought about more about it, until you mentioned it RX8R3Rod, and you're right it could have been very bad!!. Very "Final Destination" and I hope there isn't a calamity waiting for me somewhere in the future.....

Wish i'd got in on that group buy now on the braided lines.... #-o
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

I was able to get the AA out on Monday with a trailer suitable for looow cars, and they were brilliant. Really careful and considerate of the car.

They weren’t however keen to take it to Batley, so got it in at my local Mazda dealer in Boston, who have always been excellent.

TheAA don’t have trailers so suspect it was a garage agent.
Hence why they didn’t want to take you to Batley

If you got full UK recovery you tell them where you want it taken.
We have (yes I do work for them) VLA (Very Low Angle) trucks for very low vehicle’s although most wil go on the tilt and slide’s.
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

"Very Nice Man"
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

My oil cooler line went in 2018. First I noticed was a plume of smoke out the side of the drivers side wheel arch. Some oil had touched the exhaust. I was very close to home fortunately so got back with still a good amount of oil in there but it did proceed to dump the rest of the oil from the system overnight. I put the RB lines on there and have not had an issue since. Note the R3 has different fittings on the oil coolers so an S1 kit won’t fit it.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
pstables
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by pstables »

Any suggestions for replacement lines for an R3, may do mine as a precaution. The RRP (S1) ones look great - but only for an S! :(
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

I think the only options are oem or racing beat, unfortunately the end fittings are very specific to the r3
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

:whathesaid:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by brix79 »

Mine went back in January, and through some research, help from various folk on here (Dave included), I changed them myself.

Nothing too spectacular about that, but I did manage to change the nearside front sections with S1 pipes. They fit just fine, though I've not had the car running since, some issue with starting for some reason, was perfectly fine beforehand. Still not sorted it out yet, combination of pandemics and it's consequences..

I'll need to confirm that they work without any issue before suggesting anyone takes the same route, but the S1 pipes are virtually half the price of the S2 ones. I have lots of info on this topic. :lol:
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

This thread has made me paranoid to check my oil cooler lines, especially ahead of my R3’s first track appearance this Tuesday. I’ve been reading through the S1 oil cooler line group buy thread, including the installation post and Dave’s response to the question “How I can find out if mine need changing?”.

In Dave’s post, it sounds like all S1 owners should change their lines asap, but that this is a less definitive necessity for R3 owners. And, although it’s obviously cheaper than a rebuild (following a oil line failure), I would rather not shell out £600 atm for the Racing Beat kit unless it’s really needed.

I think this Essex Rotary video is implying that a (the?) common failure point is the metal connections behind the front wheel arches, especially the lower one. This is presumably from salty road spray working its way through the liner from the wheels:

Is my above assumption correct, or are all the OEM metal oil plumbing connections equally as prone to failure? I’m not going have heaps of time to dismantle stuff ahead of Tuesday, so hoping for the former [-o<.

I haven’t noticed any signs of leaking oil and oil consumption is as you would expect for an RX-8. However, if there are signs of a leak or worrying levels of corrosion, I’ll have to miss the track day and start planning for what looks to be a fairly time-consuming install.
2009 R3 in sparkling black
Racing Beat REVi ram air duct
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header / mid pipe
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Carbotech XP10 pads / Mintex discs / Motul RBF600
Russell speed bleeders
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

1990 Eunos Roadster V-Spec in BRG
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

my s1 (2005) lines must be the last ones in the country with no rust and are in fact in excellent condition :)
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
R1DSO (Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:25 pm)
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

I swapped my series 1 oil lines earlier this year after the club group buy, I hadn't noticed any oil leak, but when changing I found the upper of the 2 lines was damp with oil, although not dripping. These had been swapped under the mazda recall in 2008 not long after I purchased the car. For the time it takes to move the front section of the arch liner out of the way I would strongly recommend looking and if found to be serviceable a coating of waxoyl or even grease to help them last longer
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
R1DSO (Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:26 pm)
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

R1DSO wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:20 am
This thread has made me paranoid to check my oil cooler lines, especially ahead of my R3’s first track appearance this Tuesday. I’ve been reading through the S1 oil cooler line group buy thread, including the installation post and Dave’s response to the question “How I can find out if mine need changing?”.

In Dave’s post, it sounds like all S1 owners should change their lines asap, but that this is a less definitive necessity for R3 owners. And, although it’s obviously cheaper than a rebuild (following a oil line failure), I would rather not shell out £600 atm for the Racing Beat kit unless it’s really needed.

I think this Essex Rotary video is implying that a (the?) common failure point is the metal connections behind the front wheel arches, especially the lower one. This is presumably from salty road spray working its way through the liner from the wheels:

Is my above assumption correct, or are all the OEM metal oil plumbing connections equally as prone to failure? I’m not going have heaps of time to dismantle stuff ahead of Tuesday, so hoping for the former [-o<.

I haven’t noticed any signs of leaking oil and oil consumption is as you would expect for an RX-8. However, if there are signs of a leak or worrying levels of corrosion, I’ll have to miss the track day and start planning for what looks to be a fairly time-consuming install.
Mine failed on the drivers side connector on the line that connects the two radiators together.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath
R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

PaulAV wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 am
I swapped my series 1 oil lines earlier this year after the club group buy, I hadn't noticed any oil leak, but when changing I found the upper of the 2 lines was damp with oil, although not dripping. These had been swapped under the mazda recall in 2008 not long after I purchased the car. For the time it takes to move the front section of the arch liner out of the way I would strongly recommend looking and if found to be serviceable a coating of waxoyl or even grease to help them last longer
Thanks Paul. I’ll definitely do this before hitting the track. I don’t have any Waxoyl, but I do have a pot of Castrol grease. The only down side of this is that I guess a future oil leak might be harder to spot if the lines have grease on them.
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

R1DSO
Former Member
Former Member

Post by R1DSO »

delta0 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:50 pm
Mine failed on the drivers side connector on the line that connects the two radiators together.
Good to know, thanks :thumleft:. Out of interest, what (if anything) needs to be removed to get a clear view of this failure point?
K&N panel filter
Suffix C Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
RRP engine mounts
Hel braided brake lines
Russell speed bleeders
R-Magic shift knob
Heel/toe pedal mod

PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

R1DSO wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:30 pm
PaulAV wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 am
Thanks Paul. I’ll definitely do this before hitting the track. I don’t have any Waxoyl, but I do have a pot of Castrol grease. The only down side of this is that I guess a future oil leak might be harder to spot if the lines have grease on them.
That is true, but the chances of them rusting is also less, you could use hamerite or similar on them, it's just easier to apply a coat of grease or waxoyl, no real prep required.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
R1DSO (Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:18 am)