Place for discussions about the RX-8
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Heavy bottoms and rear suspension question

Post by New Duke »

I'm out in the car at the moment measuring the rear arch gaps to order snow chains, and passenger/NS gap is visibly higher that the driver side. By about 10mm, maybe a smidge more.

I had a neighbour sit in the passenger seat and that side lowered to match the drivers side. So it's likely down to my drivers side rear just not springing back up fully when I get out of the car.

Given that I rarely have a passenger is that to be expected? Does suspension have that kind of 'memory'? I've had a passenger in it maybe twice since the last time it was up on jack stands. But the suspension is the PZ GB kit and was fitted new in June. I weigh 70kg so have some extra padding, but didn't expect to squish down the suspension permanently :shock:

I'm unsure whether this is a good thing (suspension doing it's job to balance the load), or a bad thing because despite being new it looks like it's settled or slumped without the other side matching.

Is that normal when you rarely have a passenger though? Any thoughts?
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Heavy bottoms and rear suspension question

Post by Conan »

No it shouldn’t be like that.
When the car is on as level ground as possible measure accurately from center of hub nut to bottom of wheel arch vertically
On both sides and post up in mm please
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
sKenDread
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by sKenDread »

I had the same thing happen to me. Turned out it was a broken rear spring. I couldn't see it until it was on a ramp and wheel removed. You might want to have a look see dude
Kia-ora!
'09 R3 Aurora Blue Mica
Pioneer AVIC Z-830DAB | PAC RP4-MZ11 Interface
Fusion Signature Series Monoblocks | Ground Zero 12" Subs
Toshiba LTO Batteries (80AH) | Assignable LEDs on Beauty Panel
Tein MonoSports | Tein EDFC Active Pro
Rebuild by Mick at Hurley Rotary
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro

Post by Phil Bate »

Assuming everything is in order, it only takes a slight undulation in the road surface across the diagonal to throw the height out between axle sides. Measure the difference at the front as well, you'll likely see it out too but the other way around. As Pete says you need to find a perfectly flat surface to verify a real difference.

When I adjust the alignment on mine in the garage I have to pad the front nearside wheel with half a magazine as the floor is out by a few mm left to right at the door end, it's that sensitive
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

Thanks guys. Good to know it wasn't a silly question.

I measured the gaps on an even slope (if that contradiction makes sense) with the car pointing various directions to attempt to shift the weight of the car, and the slump on the rear OS has been consistent, even with that corner at the highest point of the slope (to put it under the least load). With the car in any orientation the rear was over a cm lower. With the front wheel gaps remaining even and pretty consistent.

I'll try to find a perfectly flat surface tomorrow to measure again. If it doesn't match then I'll pop the wheel off and see if there's anything amiss. Thanks for the advice.

I really hope the PZ kit hasn't broken already, it's only just done 5k miles and was a pricey faff to get the geometry set up just right. Gonna try to avoid getting ahead of myself though.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

Hmm, interesting :-k If you don't find anything obvious perhaps it would worth loosening and re-tightening the inboard suspension arm bolts with the car settled, to reset the bushes
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

it is in theory possible that one of the springs wasn't tempered properly and no longer has the correct spring rate. if thats so you are likely to have the unenviable privilege of being the first person to have to claim on the warranty.

but there are other options. loosening off all the bush pinch bolts (both sides) giving the car a good bounce and doing them back up when its settled is where id start...
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

Wouldn't he have to do another alignment if he undid the bush bolts though?
Rob :thumright:
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

not as long as he only backs the nuts off and doesnt move the bolts. best to mark their position if you're worried...
chriskirkham
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by chriskirkham »

Had similar issue with my car, low on rear nearside.

It was the damper unit which had gone soft, and was sagging, no lose of damper fluid though - so rather unusual.

Not bad though for an original unit with 83,000 miles on the chassis.

I did have H&R sports springs fitted approx. 25,000 miles ago and all the damper units were fine then.

Hope you solve your mystery.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

I suspect that Phil might be on to something with the pivots bolts being nipped without the full weight of the car on the wheels.

This is easily done, if you just out-of-sequence doing the job and all it takes is to reconnect the anti-roll bar first, with the other side hanging and the forces will uneven.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

Looks like the bets are in! :lol: I'll be at it in the morning cold once the 'sun' is up.

The last person to touch the suspension was Fergus who set up the geometry with string after it was fitted by one of our traders. It's not been meddled with since then specifically so as to not ruin the set up. It's a long way to both places from my house so I'd rather not make the trip back so soon!

Given who did the work (ie not me), I'm going to place my bet on a hardware failure. But will investigate all the possibilities. Thanks for all the advice. Will report back.
chriskirkham wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:43 pm
It was the damper unit which had gone soft, and was sagging, no lose of damper fluid though - so rather unusual.
How did you assess it was the damper without there being a leak Chris? Was it just floppy and movable by hand?
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

Been on this today. Have to preface that I haven't undone any bushes yet. Even with the car on my low profile ramps I can only reach the two lower adjustment bolts, for anything else the car sits too low (on my ramps) to reach. I'm hesitant to slacken those bolts myself in case I mess something up even more.

I took the wheels off and both rear dampers and springs look fine. No damage or cracks visible.

I spoke to bigpete and he confirmed my memory of the suspension having been tightened under load when the new PZ kit was fitted. He also thought as I did that anything way out like that would have been apparent when the geometry was done by FW Motorsport about 500 miles later. His suggestion was that something might have shifted the suspension after that.

He suggested looking at the top bolts up in the boot in case they have shifted. I have and they look fine as far as I can tell.

He also reminded me that (ironically), 5 days after having the geometry done last summer, on the way back from track my RX8 was rear ended on that side by a van. The repairers said it was only bodywork (rear bumper) damage but now I'm wondering if that was enough to throw one side out. Despite there not being much visible damage it was a fair old shunt and my car was pushed a couple of metres forward from stationary with the handbrake on.

Measurements of the hub nut to the top of the arch:

Rear drivers: 355mm
Rear passenger: 363mm
Front driver: 365mm
Front passenger: 365mm

I took measurements on a few different flat surfaces and there was a tiny bit of variation within margins of error (1-2mm) but all results remained relatively consistent with the rear driver side 6-9mm lower than the rest every time.

Would resetting the bushes as suggested release tension created from a rear end smack assuming it was all setup correctly beforehand?

If the cause is that the impact knocked out the geometry and I just need that redone then I'd take that over the other possible alternatives.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Whoever repaired it should have checked the alignment as there are shock absorbing crumple zones at the rear.
Thus could well be the cause of your issue so you need the alignment checked again
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

Hi Hayden,
Thanks for the measurements
To shunt 1 1/2 tons of car metres with the brakes on is a reasonably heavy shunt and I would of insisted on the insurance paying for realignment at the previous place.
However can we get someone to measure their car with the new PZ suspension in the same way you have to see where we should be at before assuming anything
Pete

Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

Another afterthought
Peel back the carpet in the boot and look carefully for any buckling of the boot floor etc.
This is a regular thing with rear ending.
Pete
These users thanked the author Conan for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 pm)

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Slide both front seats as far back as they will go, then make both seatbacks upright.

The headrests should be perfectly aligned - if not then the floor is buckled.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:38 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
chriskirkham
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by chriskirkham »

How did you assess it was the damper without there being a leak Chris? Was it just floppy and movable by hand?[/quote]

Once the damper was removed from car, it was VERY easy to fully compress it - the lack of fluid leakage remains a mystery.

Sounds like you are making progress with potential diagnosis of your sag issue.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

Thank you gents. I did ask for the alignment to be redone at the time but was told it wasn't necessary by the repairer and given a flat no when I challenged that with my insurer. To take it further I'd have to show proof that the repairer hadn't done enough, which is a tall order since they and the insurer have closed ranks. Needless to say I'm changing insurers at my upcoming renewal. This was the accident where I ended up taking the other driver's insurer to court and won, so it's already been a miserable affair.

Having said that, since then I've had both bigpete and Robert at Krown (who worked in accident repair in a previous life) look over/under/inside the car for signs of crash damage post repair and they both thought it was fine. (To the point of me looking neurotic and having made a fuss of it all)

Thanks for the fun tip about the headrest alignment Dave. Did this yesterday and yep they're aligned.

I'll call FW Motorsport tomorrow and ask if he has any time soon to look at it. That'll be another long day off work.

Haven't decided yet whether to cancel my ski trip yet. The height difference on that wheel makes it more likely that the snow chains will rip the arch liner. I need every mm I can get back there.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

New Duke wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:37 pm
Thanks for the fun tip about the headrest alignment Dave. Did this yesterday and yep they're aligned.
It's so simple to do and reassuring to get the right result.
Spoiler:
A work colleague had his (then new) Sierra Cosworth RS500 rear-ended and it was over two months being repaired.
Had it been any other Sierra it would have been an automatic write-off, but the book value of the Cosworth was more than retail list. #-o

He'd been driving it around for a couple of weeks, still complaining that it didn't feel right, when the insurance company sent their engineer to come and take a look, just as a random quality spot-check.

We all went out to the carpark and the engineer did the trick with the front seats, which showed a significant difference.
The car was collected on a low-loader and we never saw it again, though we heard that it was stripped for parts.

John got a brand new replacement, which his wife was chuffed about as the original car was black (which she hated) and the replacement was moonstone blue (which she loved).

According to a friend that worked closely with Tickford there were actually 504 real RS500s produced, plus many more replicas.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
New Duke (Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:03 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

I don't like unresolved threads so wanted to update this.

Took it to FW Motorsport and even though the ride height difference wasn't as much as I had measured, turns out the steering geometry was all over the place. Only 7 months after it was last done. So it was corrected and all is well now.

Although 'all over the place', it was of course still within Mazda's wiiiiide spec :lol:

The main culprit is most likely the rear impact, but could well be partly down to the enormous potholes littering our roads... and a couple of bridges I may have jumped (shhhhhhh).

Anyway seeing how much it can shift in such a short time and 5k miles I've decided to have it re-done properly annually.

It's fun just looking around the other cars in the workshop:
Geometry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post (total 7):
ChrisHolmes (Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:03 am) • chriskirkham (Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:37 am) • BigPete (Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:03 am) • warpc0il (Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:52 am) • doobedoobedo (Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:40 pm) • Ainmhidh (Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 am) • casey (Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 pm)