Rx8

A chance to introduce yourself...
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Rx8

Post by Tomtom »

Hi I am new hear I am currently looking for a cheap rx8 I live in Consett county Durham . I have noticed in some adds it says runs well fitted a stronger starter motor is this a sign of low compression? Is there a northern branch to the owners club?
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Rx8

Post by Nickp47 »

Hello, a stronger/quicker starter motor can help prevent hot start issues on RX8s with low compression.
A new starter is not a surefire sign of low compression though, the standard fit starters were upgraded and improved throughout the life of the RX-8 so a new one can be a good idea for an earlier car regardless of compression.
To add to that, hot start issues can be caused by a few symptoms but some owners assume the car needs a rebuild due to the horror stories various people with little real knowledge will have told them so they get rid having spent Β£40 on an eBay starter.
If you want to be sure to avoid one with low compression, get a compression test but if you are looking at the lower end of the price scale sometimes it is worth just taking a punt and seeing what you end up with, prepare yourself for the worst and you may be pleasantly surprised.
These users thanked the author Nickp47 for the post:
Tomtom (Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:20 pm)
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

Hi and :welcome: Tomtom. :D :whathesaid: People fit new/faster starter motors as a precaution or just because they are better (that's what I did when R3 starter motors came up on a special offer and I decided why not), others do so in an attempt to improve on hot start issues - for those ones it is a temporary fix and the hot start issues will return and get worse. A compression test is the only near-sure way (nothing is guaranteed for ever of course) to know whether the engine is healthy.
Have you read the Buyers Guide? https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... 25&t=24047

We don't have geographical branches of the Owners Club as such, but we do have local events team reps and local meets etc in places all round the country. There are meets in the north east, I'm not sure they are every month, but they are good when they do happen and well worth the drive if it is a bit of a distance away. Subscribe to this thread to get notifications of when the next one might happen (and to get an idea of who some of the club members are that we have up in your neck of the woods) https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... 99&t=73877
These users thanked the author Shagrington for the post:
Tomtom (Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:20 pm)
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Rx8

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi Tom & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

<<<<<< Please put your Location in your Profile Box, it will help us to know where you are, if required any help in the future :thumright:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Davemitch
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Davemitch »

Hi Tom! I'm in the north east too! We're starting to get a good show of members now! If you're worried about compression on an rx8 purchase, theres 2 people that offer compression tests locally. Both would be more than happy to compression test and even look around any car you have in mind :) we will be arranging the next meet very soon and you're more than welcome to come and have a look around and get more information there (even before you have an rx8). Buyers guide here is first place to read through and check, then I would check the rx8 for sale page too here :)
These users thanked the author Davemitch for the post:
Tomtom (Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:38 pm)
Durham, North East.
S1 RX8 231bhp
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=75018
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

Hi Dave where do you meet I live in Consett ? I am looking at a 07 rx8 auto add says it needs new spark plugs and coils.
Davemitch
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Davemitch »

Meet is usually in Stockton just off the A19. Never a good sign when an ad says it needs plugs and coils though that suggests theres an issue already. Not many autos to choose from either mostly manuals. I'll have a little search now too :)
Durham, North East.
S1 RX8 231bhp
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

Davemitch wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:45 pm
Meet is usually in Stockton just off the A19. Never a good sign when an ad says it needs plugs and coils though that suggests theres an issue already. Not many autos to choose from either mostly manuals. I'll have a little search now too :)
I used to live in the Stockton area . Just let me know when and I will pop down . Yes I am looking local at the moment but will travel fora bargin 😁😁😁
Davemitch
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Davemitch »

Tomtom wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:57 pm
I used to live in the Stockton area . Just let me know when and I will pop down . Yes I am looking local at the moment but will travel fora bargin 😁😁😁
Oh you'll know where it is then! We hold them in ingleby barwick just off a19 :) ok, what's requirements? Auto and low mileage or compression results? Any colour restriction or anything? Lol
Durham, North East.
S1 RX8 231bhp
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:11 pm
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:57 pm
Oh you'll know where it is then! We hold them in ingleby barwick just off a19 :) ok, what's requirements? Auto and low mileage or compression results? Any colour restriction or anything? Lol
Hi Manuel will be fine any colour if it needs work that's fine .
Davemitch
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Davemitch »

Durham, North East.
S1 RX8 231bhp
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

hi well bought a rx8 on a 05 plate runs and drives well so the garage say i pick it up in 3 weeks looking forward to it. will get it compression tested . so as i am in the north i hope one off the members can help me with that. :D :D :D
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

hi as you can se by my post i have bought one.
These users thanked the author Tomtom for the post:
Davemitch (Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:34 pm)
Davemitch
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Davemitch »

Couple of options for in the north east for a reliable compression test and a good rate:
1. Ingleby Autos in Ingleby Barwick (where our meets are held and owns 4 rx8s himself)
2. Matthew Teare in Shildon who is our local RX8 breaker and emergency parts guy hes fixed mine multiple times :)
Both would be happy to take a look around your new baby as well for you :)
Durham, North East.
S1 RX8 231bhp
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:31 am
Couple of options for in the north east for a reliable compression test and a good rate:
1. Ingleby Autos in Ingleby Barwick (where our meets are held and owns 4 rx8s himself)
2. Matthew Teare in Shildon who is our local RX8 breaker and emergency parts guy hes fixed mine multiple times :)
Will get In touch when I get it .
Tomtom
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Tomtom »

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 am
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:31 am
Will get In touch when I get it .
Hi so what is a good rate?
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

I think something like Β£50-Β£60 is about the average "good rate" (it was not too long ago at least - Mazda were known to quote something like Β£180+ :roll: ).
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry: