Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black
Been thanked: 0

Looking to buy another RX8...WJ07WMX

Post by carl355m »

Hi all,

Not strictly new here as had an R3 which I sold last year...but wasn't sure where to put this question!

I'm looking to get another RX8...specifically a black PZ registration WJ07 WMX...the dealer states that it was enthusiast owned and I wondered if it used to belong to anyone on here that would be able to give me more information about it's history before I go and view it...

Cheers,

Carl...
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Re: Looking to buy another RX8...WJ07WMX

Post by casey »

I've no personal knowledge of this vehicle, but the MOT history wouldn't give me any confidence that the previous owner(s) have looked after the car too carefully!

Tyres shown as near tread depth limit one year and failed the next year on tread depth. "Cords exposed" on a tyre on any car is a no-no, but on a sportscar :shock:

Other advisories recur from one MOT to the next and could easily have been dealt with by an "enthusiast owner"!

If tyres and windscreen wipers were skimped on, it would raise issues in my mind about what other service items might have been skipped? Caution advised, check service history carefully, with receipts for service items.
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
carl355m (Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:07 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
carl355m
Former Member
Former Member

Post by carl355m »

I guess that makes sense...thanks for taking the time to look that up...sounds like I need to be looking elsewhere!

Cheers,

Carl...
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Nickp47 »

I am not necessarily disagreeing with Casey but I wouldn’t be entirely put off by the MOT history. The front tyres being down to the cords would be a definite question mark but otherwise the historic advisories are pretty standard stuff (especially when you disregard the ‘covers obscuring vision’ type ones) and do not seem to be recurring.
carl355m
Former Member
Former Member

Post by carl355m »

I’m waiting to hear which aftermarket coils it has fitted and a copy of the detailed service history so we’ll see what that shows...have also asked for compression figures but doubt they’re available as it’s not in the advert....

Carl...
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Don't get me wrong, as Nick indicated above, I would definitely not write this one off as a possible purchase, just go and look armed with as much info as possible.

Mileage (75,209 on 9 June MOT) is bordering on possible rebuild too, so bear that in mind, especially if no compression results are available. Average seems to be ~80k, but some engines get over 100k.

If you've not checked the MOT history for yourself, have a look here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
carl355m (Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
carl355m
Former Member
Former Member

Post by carl355m »

Thanks for that...yeah I did take a look at the MOT history and was concerned with the mileage and possible rebuild...have my heart set on a PZ this time so being patient and waiting for one with a recent rebuild is always an option too....