Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Values??

Post by New Duke »

dac69er wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:52 pm
A decatted RX8 that does 1000miles a year would produce far less emissions than some 60-70mpg ecobox that does 15000 miles a year.
Especially if the manufacturer has been proven to lie. I'm shocked that anybody still considers buying a brand new VW.
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh »

Theoretically a fine of up to £1000 for missing either, and you can't renew tax without the MOT. Also, they might impound your car...
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

'Impound'? - I think you mean 'secure parking' Alan :lol:

It's cool, I was jesting. Although I could really do with the garage free for this: https://mevltd.co.uk/kit-cars/mev-exocet
dac69er
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by dac69er »

New Duke wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:07 pm
dac69er wrote:
A decatted RX8 that does 1000miles a year would produce far less emissions than some 60-70mpg ecobox that does 15000 miles a year.
Especially if the manufacturer has been proven to lie. I'm shocked that anybody still considers buying a brand new VW.
If the faked figures mean the tax is cheap, most people wouldnt actually care.

If mazda fluffed the figures for the rx8 and the tax was £50 a year rather than near £600, would you complain?
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

dac69er wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:05 pm
New Duke wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:07 pm
dac69er wrote:
If the faked figures mean the tax is cheap, most people wouldnt actually care.

If mazda fluffed the figures for the rx8 and the tax was £50 a year rather than near £600, would you complain?
It wasn't 'fluffing' the figures for one model though was it, or even being generous with figures in their favour, as all manufactures are. VW fitted devices and cheat software specifically to fool emissions tests (by a huge margin) in over 11 million vehicles worldwide. The environmental impact of that is predicted to directly cause thousands of deaths in Europe alone. Impact studies are still being done in other territories. VW knew exactly what harm they would cause, and did it anyway on a huge scale.

People should care, I hope most do. If Mazda was caught doing that on the RX8 I would care and would hope Mazda be liquidated by governments and shot into the Sun. Anyone who's bought a new VW Group vehicle since the scandal emerged is IMO endorsing those killings... and has few morals. The recall program for affected models needs to be sped up and compulsory, not voluntary as it currently is. Otherwise any vehicle not 'fixed' should be taxed at the real rate of emissions.

It's the scale of the crime that's the real problem and can be hard to fathom. Especially as the majority of those models are incredibly popular cars.
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

Crikey that's a scary thought - the emission for an RX8 are actually worse than Mazda admitted....
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Scartlead
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Scartlead »

dac69er wrote:

as someone with multiple vehicles, i find the road tax system a complete joke. A decatted RX8 that does 1000miles a year would produce far less emissions than some 60-70mpg ecobox that does 15000 miles a year.
the fact you can more easily tax a vehicle for a month at a time is ok, but you are still paying a percentage of a pretty hefty bill.
Totally agree, could have written this myself. I see plenty of dervs , paying sub 150 a year tax, with serious smog coming out the back. Road tax should be based on actual road miles or within the cost of fuel, but that won't ever happen, the motorist cashcow is rolling onwards!
Aka Mark

My Build viewtopic.php?f=204&t=70916
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Some find it surprising, given that I drive a car that's famous for drinking fuel, that I support the idea of dropping VED in favour of an equivalent increase in fuel prices.

My 8 may only do 20mpg (on a good day) but she does less than 4k miles/year, and yet I pay waaay more VED/mile than 80% of the cars on the road.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

the main reason for the high cost of fuel is that the government has a certain level of expectation when it comes to fuel tax
so when about 10 years ago when nearly everything started to get a lot more efficient in fuel use the tax revenue dropped off - so the tax% was ramped back up again to compensate now we have some of the highest fuel taxes in the world and one of the most efficient vehicle fleets in the world

so when you drive an outlier like a rexi its going to sting a bit

and yes road tax should be abolished and roll it into the fuel price its the fairest way
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

I reckon our fuel taxes are higher in Ireland. Currently a litre of petrol is circa 1.45 of which the rats get a euro of that or thereabouts which is quite frankly extortionate.

Hurts even more being a rotary owner but what can you do? Switch to electric? No thanks, id rather walk :roll:

Diesel? Not a chance, hate the things, always have and I don't fancy a hybrid so I'll just have to suck it up like every other rotary/petrol owner, its maddening!
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I still remember when diesel was quite a lot cheaper than petrol, at the pumps, but it was only used for trucks and vans.
Then diesel cars were introduced and people realised that they gave more mpg and the fuel was cheaper.
Then diesel cars became more popular.
Then the price of diesel become much high than petrol.

So what happens when plug-in electric cars become popular...
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

warpc0il wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 am
Don't you be running thar car on that 'red electricity'. It'll stain all your cables, and the tax man will know......
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post:
warpc0il (Fri May 17, 2019 10:45 am)
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

warpc0il wrote:
I still remember when diesel was quite a lot cheaper than petrol, at the pumps, but it was only used for trucks and vans.
Then diesel cars were introduced and people realised that they gave more mpg and the fuel was cheaper.
Then diesel cars became more popular.
Then the price of diesel become much high than petrol.

The grid will not be able to cope, especially as fossil fuel boilers are banned from installation in new properties from 2020 placing more demand on the grid at night in winter when the heating will be on as well as all those little cars being charged up.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

warpc0il wrote:

Realistically that will only happen when the infrastructure to support electric cars has been put in place (nationwide not just London) they are still working on creating support to fill pot holes in!

One thing at a time please.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

PeteH wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:08 am
warpc0il wrote:
Don't you be running thar car on that 'red electricity'. It'll stain all your cables, and the tax man will know......
That'll be another industry for NI, "washing" the red out of the 'lectric :roll:
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
nightfire10 (Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh »

I did have an ironic chuckle to myself the other week when I saw that the London air quality tax means that, were I to be stupid enough to drive into central London, if I did so in the £20/year VED diesel Focus it'd cost me an extra £13.50(ish) per day over the congestion charge, but to do it in the nasty, polluting, petrol RX-8 (at £550/year VED) it wouldn't cost any extra at all. :roll:
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

Petrol is better than diesel. Plus how many rotary cars you have on the road. They should be exempt from ulez etc due the low number rotaries you have on the road.
Also they are full of bull***t one cruis ship pollute the same as thousands of cars and they want to open cruise ship port in Greenwich. They opened IKEA in Greenwich near Blackwall tunnel to and we already struggle with the Blackwall tunnel traffic before the IKEA.
As far I read they will extend the ulez inside North and south circle Road so any diesel even if you don't drive it will pay.
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

Ainmhidh wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:43 am
I did have an ironic chuckle to myself the other week when I saw that the London air quality tax means that, were I to be stupid enough to drive into central London, if I did so in the £20/year VED diesel Focus it'd cost me an extra £13.50(ish) per day over the congestion charge, but to do it in the nasty, polluting, petrol RX-8 (at £550/year VED) it wouldn't cost any extra at all. :roll:
They are considering a similar scheme for Newcastle and did point this out to one of my colleagues who drives a 13 plate Diesel ....
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

kopite72 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:52 am
I reckon our fuel taxes are higher in Ireland. Currently a litre of petrol is circa 1.45 of which the rats get a euro of that or thereabouts which is quite frankly extortionate.

Hurts even more being a rotary owner but what can you do? Switch to electric? No thanks, id rather walk :roll:

Diesel? Not a chance, hate the things, always have and I don't fancy a hybrid so I'll just have to suck it up like every other rotary/petrol owner, its maddening!
I have all three at the moment; petrol, diesel and fully electric. (clearly spending too much money on cars)

We try whenever possible to use the most appropriate/efficient car for the task at hand. So the electric for short or inner city journeys, the petrol for fun/track, and the diesel for very long journeys.

Unfortunately the current system penalises us for that and seems to want us to scrap the two fossil cars and spend our lives charging the electric at motorway services. Which is really expensive btw. Most roadside charging is much more expensive than people might think. Last week cost me £12.50 to recharge 60 miles of range... and still took 3 hours at the fastest socket available.

Pro rata that cost to filling up a modern diesel and a charge actually works out more expensive than diesel. But neither the car industry, motoring press nor governments will acknowledge that, they all maintain the line that running an electric is cheap. Can't let facts stop the hype train!
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

lets all move to Saudi with our rotaries,with what they pay at the pumps we could all afford two rotaries as daily drives!! Is it true that they pay 20 cents a litre out there or something like that?
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rotary Potato »

So ... anyone spot a discussion on RX-8 values anywhere around here? :rofl: :rofl: :whistle: