Place for discussions about the RX-8
Harrymonk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Car Ramps and other Access Options

Post by Harrymonk »

Been looking at ways to provide improved access for a while now. I have seen these two Items come up a lot, the first seems like a sturdy option for under-work (exhaust removal maybe even my clutch). The second seems a little more questionable. Just wondered if people have had experience with either as these days online reviews seem to mean very little.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332869495992?r ... 2869495992

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCISS ... SwcUBYLvBi
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Car Ramps and other Access Options

Post by ChrisHolmes »

There is a guy near me in Cheltenham selling some sets of car sales display ramps for £200. The long ones that you drive up and say a prayer whilst they rock into the horizontal position.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Harrymonk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Harrymonk »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:32 pm
There is a guy near me in Cheltenham selling some sets of car sales display ramps for £200. The long ones that you drive up and say a prayer whilst they rock into the horizontal position.
As much as they sound perfect, thats a bit of a drive and without something to shift them in #-o Assume they would be okay for servicing if you can lock them have seen DIY sets which lock but don't have a welder :-k
Bullet5
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Copper Red

Post by Bullet5 »

I've got a black set of the ramp/lift combination ones, although I'm sure I paid much closer to £100 for them. They are sturdy, but are rather poorly put together (no set squares were used during the construction), however for the purpose they serve they are great. You can only reverse up these, as the front of an 8 is far too low to drive up them without either extensions or something under the wheels to lift the nose up a fair bit. Once you've the rear up on them you can lift it up very high as per the below, perfect for accessing the exhaust from the manifold back and especially brilliant for protecting the underside. :thumright:

If you'd prefer a trolley jack and axle stands I can also confirm that the Halfords Advanced 3 Tonne jack manages to reach the diff easily on the flat. I've not tried accessing the front jacking point yet as to be honest I very rarely need to get under the front.

All the best,
Bullet5. :)

P.S. If the images don't load for you use this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4t3jcW323EAu38nSA

These users thanked the author Bullet5 for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 pm)
Dan-Lincs
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dan-Lincs »

Whats the brand of these / where did you get them?
Bullet5
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bullet5 »

I bought them from eBay a few years back. They were branded "Tech7". Do a search for "Tech7 Vehicle Car Ramp Lift 2 Ton Hydraulic" you'll likely find them. One other thing I should note is that you wouldn't want to go much more than a 235 or 245 profile tyre from memory. I have 225's fitted in the photos, but anything much wider would cause the side walls to begin binding on the angled sides of the plates if not aligned properly.

Cheers,
Bullet5.

Edit: Infact, dig around a little on eBay. I've just come across a new pair that look identical for circa £90. :thumright:
These users thanked the author Bullet5 for the post:
Dan-Lincs (Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:39 pm)
Secla
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue
Has thanked: 0

Post by Secla »

how much higher does the hydraulic jack actually get the car? doesnt look like much in the pictures
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

It looks like you couldn't lift the rear wheels that much higher, without the nose of the car hitting the ground, unless you also put something under the front wheels
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

I've got a hefty hydraulic race jack that cost me ~£130 from Screwfix which lifts the car mentally high. Only problem is it doesn't fit under my lowered R3 :lol:

I generally use a combination of ramps and jack. Reverse it up a pair of ramps and then jack the front up with the trolley jack. Once jacked up put a single axle stand under the front central jacking point on the crossmember and lower it down. It'll level itself out and sits nice and high
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

I keep looking at these:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3390172815

Not sure I'm quite that lazy yet to spend 400 quid on them but I do get tempted now and then. I could save another grand or so and just buy a quikjack from bendpack
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

Harrymonk wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:27 pm
Been looking at ways to provide improved access for a while now. I have seen these two Items come up a lot, the first seems like a sturdy option for under-work (exhaust removal maybe even my clutch). The second seems a little more questionable. Just wondered if people have had experience with either as these days online reviews seem to mean very little.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332869495992?r ... 2869495992

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCISS ... SwcUBYLvBi
WRT scissor lift I looked at them but discounted due to:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75573&hilit=scissor#p1120932

In the end bought a halfords advanced low profile jack.
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Harrymonk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Harrymonk »

Bullet5 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:59 pm
I've got a black set of the ramp/lift combination ones, although I'm sure I paid much closer to £100 for them. They are sturdy, but are rather poorly put together (no set squares were used during the construction), however for the purpose they serve they are great. You can only reverse up these, as the front of an 8 is far too low to drive up them without either extensions or something under the wheels to lift the nose up a fair bit. Once you've the rear up on them you can lift it up very high as per the below, perfect for accessing the exhaust from the manifold back and especially brilliant for protecting the underside. :thumright:

If you'd prefer a trolley jack and axle stands I can also confirm that the Halfords Advanced 3 Tonne jack manages to reach the diff easily on the flat. I've not tried accessing the front jacking point yet as to be honest I very rarely need to get under the front.

All the best,
Bullet5. :)

P.S. If the images don't load for you use this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4t3jcW323EAu38nSA
Thanks all for comments, for the time being have opted for a set of these, hoping with the extra lift and swapping front to back I can carry out the clutch replacement and get her back on the road. Definate requirement of by next house to have garage big enough to put 2 post ramp/lift in lol. Sure it will be the same as people who buy pick ups and everyone will want to pop over to use it...
Harrymonk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Harrymonk »

Well after struggling a bit as I’m not the smallest chap I bought a second set, this is the most cost effective and convenient way to get the beast nearly 2ft clear of the deck. Made the job much easier.
Harrymonk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Harrymonk »

A photo to show access, made it so much easier as could drop gearbox and slide her out with ease..The platforms even had an extra pin hole to go so could have gained an extra 2". Even the 255s fitted on with no issue.

ImageIMG-20190408-WA0001 by Martin Harris, on Flickr
These users thanked the author Harrymonk for the post:
Dan-Lincs (Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:50 am)
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

What was the process to get the car on the ramps? The front ramps obviously don't fit under the cills of the car. So I assume you reversed up the rear ramps, then jacked the front of the car up and slid the front ramps under. Then jacked all four platforms up. ?? Did you jack the front of the car up on the central jacking point? If so, I guess you had to slide the jack in from behind the front wheel (since I imagine there is no way it would go under the front of the car at the angle the car was sitting.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

Bullet5 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:59 pm
I've got a black set of the ramp/lift combination ones...

IMG_20180901_103554.jpg

I'm going to lose sleep over those loosely arranged tiles. How could you leave them like that and not click them together?! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
boosted
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by boosted »

Ive got those lifting ramps...been great but i had to make a set of additional assister ramps as anything low will not go up...i made mine outta decking board....and quite easy to forget to let the bottle jack down...i drove straight off them in my scooby and then had to remove bumper as car was beached...
There good for gearboxes servicing exhaust as gets the car quite high...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author boosted for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:30 am)
231 streetported Rx8 renny powered Westfield kit race car. SOLD
92 Rx7 fd3s stock twins..est.320bhp. RETIRED Track car.
93 eunos s-sp 1.6 turbo gt2545r 226bhp track slag. in continuous development.
Scooby doo bugeye wagon wrx daily.
Mondeodog towcar.
Mx5 mk2 1.8 10ae nice day daily rust bucket.
Keke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Keke »

PeteH wrote:What was the process to get the car on the ramps? The front ramps obviously don't fit under the cills of the car. So I assume you reversed up the rear ramps, then jacked the front of the car up and slid the front ramps under. Then jacked all four platforms up. ?? Did you jack the front of the car up on the central jacking point? If so, I guess you had to slide the jack in from behind the front wheel (since I imagine there is no way it would go under the front of the car at the angle the car was sitting.
I an wondering the same thing,
I recently purchased a pair due to this post,

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Bullet5
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bullet5 »

Phil Bate wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:39 pm
I'm going to lose sleep over those loosely arranged tiles. How could you leave them like that and not click them together?! :lol:
I've already lost enough sleep over them. Two sets bought at different times years ago for the caravan, and typically they have different locking patterns. ](*,)

I normally throw those down and then put a sheet of cardboard on top so I can still slide around easily, still benefiting from the comfort of the pads underneath. The only downside of these really is the fact that you can't drive up forwards without a ramp extension, then again not many ramps fit under the front of an 8 without them.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Offcuts of vinyl cushion floor are great for working under the car.

They're tough enough that the (smaller) stones don't puncture from underneath, while being softer and warmer than concrete.

Avoid anti-slip finishes as you want them slippery, and a quick spray with furniture polish helps too, to manoeuvre around underneath.
If you really get stuck, or get cramp, then someone can at least drag you out by your feet.

They don't take too kindly to brake fluid or solvent spills, but usually fine if you wipe away and don't let pool.

The uniform surface also makes it easier to find things, nuts, bolts, screws, sockets, etc that you've dropped.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Harrymonk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Harrymonk »

PeteH wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm
What was the process to get the car on the ramps? The front ramps obviously don't fit under the cills of the car. So I assume you reversed up the rear ramps, then jacked the front of the car up and slid the front ramps under. Then jacked all four platforms up. ?? Did you jack the front of the car up on the central jacking point? If so, I guess you had to slide the jack in from behind the front wheel (since I imagine there is no way it would go under the front of the car at the angle the car was sitting.
Pretty much as above, actually pushed her up onto the rear ramps as couldn't drive her, Then actually as I had access to 2 jacks jacked the front up level onto axle stands until I could get a jack with block under the central jack point then up she went onto front ramps, hence they are the wrong way round but that was to provide better access to gearbox. Then jacked up the platforms one slot at a time. Sound like a bind but only took a few minutes. To get her down was pretty much reverse of that.

As said the ramps were £90 a pair, so for £180 I can get 2ft of level clearance, I struggled to find anything else near that price and that can just sit at the back of the garage piled up.
Bullet5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 pm
I normally throw those down and then put a sheet of cardboard on top so I can still slide around easily, still benefiting from the comfort of the pads underneath. The only downside of these really is the fact that you can't drive up forwards without a ramp extension, then again not many ramps fit under the front of an 8 without them.
A small block of wood did the same job as the ramp extensions, of lifting it high enough to get her on forwards.
Last edited by Harrymonk on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrymonk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Harrymonk »

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:01 am
Offcuts of vinyl cushion floor are great for working under the car.

They're tough enough that the (smaller) stones don't puncture from underneath, while being softer and warmer than concrete.

Avoid anti-slip finishes as you want them slippery, and a quick spray with furniture polish helps too, to manoeuvre around underneath.
If you really get stuck, or get cramp, then someone can at least drag you out by your feet.

They don't take too kindly to brake fluid or solvent spills, but usually fine if you wipe away and don't let pool.

The uniform surface also makes it easier to find things, nuts, bolts, screws, sockets, etc that you've dropped.
Something like this would be my next investment as all I had was the 4 boxes the ramps came in so used the old cardboard workshop service tray :roll: lol