Place for discussions about the RX-8
Craig M
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Lambo/Scissor Door Hinge Kits

Post by Craig M »

I've seen a few members have these kits fitted.
I must admit I like the look of these but would appreciate some advice on fitment/practicality/cost/where to buy.
Also prepared to be slated :D
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Re: Lambo/Scissor Door Hinge Kits

Post by goodeggbob »

hi craig,Chris Holmes on here had them on his car and then sold it to Mihail mi600 . i would think that between them you should get a good idea of what is involved,rob.
These users thanked the author goodeggbob for the post:
Craig M (Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:58 pm)
Rob :thumright:
Craig M
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Craig M »

goodeggbob wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:35 pm
hi craig,Chris Holmes on here had them on his car and then sold it to Mihail mi600 . i would think that between them you should get a good idea of what is involved,rob.
Yeah, met Chris on North Coast 500 in 2016, he didn't have them fitted then.
Will send him a PM to gleen some info but I believe he bought the hinges used.
Interested whether anyone has bought these new and how their experience was.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Tony - Exiled Viking - has the widest experience with lambo kits, as I think he tried two different ones on his (now Chris') car and has helped other members fit theirs.

Update: I've asked him to join this thread
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Craig M (Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:58 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Craig M
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Craig M »

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:54 pm
Tony - Exiled Viking - has the widest experience with lambo kits, as I think he tried two different ones on his (now Chris') car and has helped other member fit theirs.
Thanks Dave, I now know who to contact for info/guidance.
exiled--viking
Former Member
Former Member

Post by exiled--viking »

Hello One of the First mods I did to my car the kit that is on Chris car is over 10 years old and the only thing that's needed servicing is a little grease from time to time and I have worn through two drivers side gas rams and considering the car was a daily driver thats not bad the gas rams can be bought from vertical door inc and take around 7 days From the USA.....heres some info on them I would only recommend this type I fitted other types and there just not nice to SAY THE LEAST :shock: THE PRICE is expensive but you get what you pay for I fitted 10 sets of these 4 of them on my drive way :lol:

Mazda RX8 2004-2008 Lambo Door Conversion Kit by Vertical Doors Inc.

Part Number: VDCMAZRX80408 Price $1,299.00

Includes:
2 Gas Shocks
2 Vertical Doors, Inc., Lambo Door Hinges (one for each side)
All Mounting Hardware
Direct "Bolt On" Hinge Kit
Mounts to Factory Bolt Pattern
Made in the USA from Domestic Hardened Steel
Patented in the USA
Completely Reversible

This kit will fit MAZDA RX8 ALL 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Vertical Doors, Inc. is the only manufacturer of Vertical Lambo Doors and ZLR Door Conversion in the USA.

This is a vertical door kit for an Mazda RX8 2004-2008. Lambo Door Conversion Kit made specifically for your vehicle. VDI manufactures only the best, highest quality, strongest, and most affordable kit for the quality. Our line-up includes all of the major vehicle manufactures. Our system is everything you need for a successful, reliable and cost effective conversion in a minimum amount of time. Vertical Doors, Inc., kits are proudly made and patented in the United States. Bolt-on kits made specifically for your vehicle.

Is it hard to install Vertical Lambo Doors?

It is fairly easy as long as you are mechanically inclined and have basic tools.
Our bolt-on kits come with your vehicles factory bolt patter for an easy install. A 6-12 page instructions manual is provided along with free tech support. We prototype every kit to be as easy as possible to install.

See our detail installation sample here

Still need more help?

Click here to see a few more Tech Tips

Is it difficult to operate the doors after the Conversion?

Not only is our kit easy to install but is also easy to operate. Basically open your door like normal until it stops at a predetermined position then raise your door. Every kit comes with a shock that will take most of the door weight making it easy to raise the door up. Our kits give you the freedom to open your door as factory, unlike most imitators, Lambo Doors, Scissor Doors, Wing Doors, Butterfly Doors, Lamborghini Doors, etc.

Your Mazda RX8 2004-2008 will keep its factory look and feel while you are driving but the moment you stop and raise your doors you will experience a whole new level of attention that no other upgrade can give you.

We have a few videos that will give you a good idea of how the Bolton Lambo Door Conversion works.

Are all the Mazda RX8 2004-2008 Lambo Doors the same?

No, Vertical Doors, Inc. is the only USA manufacturer. We use domestic carbon steel and all our pivot and strike points are heat treated.
Most companies that have copied our designed use the cheapest way possible means to make their kits and since they can just shut down and restart under another name, they don't worry about quality of their products.

Beware
Before you Buy:
Weld on kits may damage your vehicle.
If the kit does not bolt up to the factory bolt pattern Installation will be difficult and/or expensive.
Be careful of companies selling so-called bolt-on kits that actually do not have the correct bolt pattern or worse they send you a paper template so that you have to drill the holes yourself.
Make sure your Lambo Door Kit comes complete with hardware, shocks, instructional manual and FREE tech support. Some sellers will mislead you and say "Weld-on" installation is easy and that their universal style kits are made for your particular vehicle.
Make sure you can speak to the seller.

for more information and how to fit click on the link below remember you get what you pay for I would only recommend this company theres NO cutting of wiring and take around 10 hours to fit on your own but I would recommend having a little help

http://verticaldoors.com/mazda_2004_200 ... JFPdC2ca88

hope this give you an Idea or two

regards tony
Last edited by exiled--viking on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author exiled--viking for the post (total 4):
GreySilver Beast (Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:50 pm) • warpc0il (Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:27 pm) • Craig M (Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:05 am)
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

We done it in a day with Chris remove from one car his one and bolt to mine and we cheat due we swap wiring looms. If you solder will take longer
These users thanked the author mi60o0 for the post:
Craig M (Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:05 am)
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
exiled--viking
Former Member
Former Member

Post by exiled--viking »

If you had the same kit as mine which is the one above by vertical doors you do not have to cut the wiring loom you can reroute it and that can give you another 4/5 inches which is enough to operate the doors and saving you problems later from cutting the loom
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

The hinges we took off mine and fitted to Mihails car were bought used by me and are not if Vertical Doors manufacture. A little drivers side A panel "modification" was necessary to get them to fit my car and bizarrely on Mihails car it was the passenger side A panel we had to "modify"
The Vertical Doors which are on Tony car that I bought are certainly lighter to raise and more controllable to close than my previous ones on the red car. That said, for the price were a considerable saving so as Tony says Vertical Doors are really the best one to buy, if you have the budget.

There are many suppliers on the Bangood website and you can land a pair in the UK for around £500 but I doubt there would be any exercisable guarantees or technical support.

Whilst I agree that extending the looms is not absolutely necessary it is something I plan to do on the car as the rerouted standard loom does get crushed between the hinge and the wing as the door is opened whereas with extended wiring the longer wiring simply loops out if the way totally.

The only other car I know of personally with VD hinges has just had the wiring extended as it was being crushed by the hinges.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
Craig M (Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:06 am)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 231

Post by bigpete8 »

Any opinions on the day to day livability of them?
Are they easy to get in and out of, are they any easier in tight car parking spaces, whats the access to the rear like with these etc...
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Compared to original doors they are if I am honest a real pain as they don't open as wide but that's far outweighed by the appearance of the scissor action.
No easier when in a tight parking space as you can still only open the door as wide as whatever the narrow gap is, in fact it a bit harder to get out as you have the door in your face!
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

I find it okay to go in and out and they look cool is not convinion for the monster size child seat we have.
Whne I was swapping interior was more difficult than normal opening door.
Mine passanger side is heavier and is a bit of a work out to close It
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days