Dr. FrankenRex's Monster! The VR R3 Grimme ælling

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
LeeW
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Full Race Extension Review - Dr. FrankenRex's Monster! The VR R3 Grimme ælling

Post by LeeW » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:46 pm
Not at all, I don't offend easily :D

The thing that a lot of people are overlooking is that 191whp is still a decent amount for an RX8 to make and it does drive very nicely indeed
You’re absolutely right. I just had dyno run no3 this afternoon and my numbers are going in the wrong direction and way south of 191!
07' Kuro
RRP Single Res/Pettit, RR D585, AEM CAI, RRP Custom Map

RX8 Story (slow progress): viewtopic.php?f=104&t=78506

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Full Race Extension Review - Dr. FrankenRex's Monster! The VR R3 Grimme ælling

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:28 am

Figured after meeting a few peeps and having a couple of laps around Combe I should post a wee bit of an update.

Firstly, the car sounds awesome, but as I intend on using it for mainly track use I think it may be a little too loud :'(

Static noise test at 4,500rpm was 99.9dB of a 100dB limit. Something I'm quite proud of as it's the 2nd RX8 I've owned to hit that number, the other being the Diamond Grey with the Cobra exhaust. The bit I'm not so proud of (and quite annoyed that Castle Combe don't publicise it) is that Castle Combe Circuit have a drive-by limit as well. Well, not strictly a limit, just a 'We think that's a bit loud mate, if you don't make it quieter then you should go home' kinda limit.

To that end it hit 96dB on drive-by according to the chap's sound doofah, which means black flag, go home sunshine. So I'll work on that later...

On to the more positive things, though. Firstly, the engine is running quite well. Ignoring the power discussions of before, the engine truly is something else in terms of smooth power delivery, eagerness to rev and - as others will attest - a 10k rev limit is just intoxicating. The upgraded Racing Beat roll bars make the car astonishingly flat through the corners and incredibly well composed. Say what you will about coilovers and things, but for me personally this set up is perfect. Maybe a touch more camber front and back, but there was no discernible understeer from the car which was the biggest take-away for me.

Also wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who came up and chatted to me about the car, it's fantastic to get some nice words from everyone on it. It's certainly something unique and special, and I'm glad I took that down rather than something else.

Now to try and fix this fecking power steering problem... sigh
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:36 pm)
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

350matt
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:32 am

whats the power steering doing and what exhaust are you running?
aren't you on some race car special with long primaries and no cat?

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by kopite72 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 am

Glad you're enjoying the car Dan, I'd personally love to see it in the flesh, the RE ( pardon the pun) is really interesting and something I'd be interested in doing in the future but it's not a priority for me right now.

You being the first to do it on an R3 kind of makes you the Guinea pig hence why I'm always interested in any updates and or feedback you give as you continue to live with it.

I don't know what your thoughts on it are as regards living with it as a daily drive but I'd imagine it's quite a different beast. If/when I do go for it my R3 wouldn't be a daily at that stage so it's not really a consideration for me really but your opinion would be welcome all the same.

Who knows, maybe someday ill get to see her in the flesh and experience it first hand. Thanks for the comments/feedback Dan, really appreciate it ;)
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post:
Dr. FrankenRex (Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:57 am)
PLAN...RR HB OR FB PLATINUM REBUILD
FULL RESPRAY

DONE...
FULL MZ CUSTOMS KIT
MILLTEK CATBACK
JAPSPEED DROPLINKS
FULL ALLOY REFURB
RR D585 COILs
6000K HID KIT
TINTS
20MIL SPACERS
PROJECT THREAD....http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=59971

LOOKED AFTER BY THE FANTASTIC CREW AT ROTARY REVS
LOVING DORITOS SINCE 1991

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:55 am

Power steering simply isn't.. lol. Warning light on the dash and no PAS at all. Not sure if a connector issue or a rack issue at present as haven't had time to go hunting. OBD fault scanner isn't showing anything, but think that is because the ePAS system doesn't log fault codes (any advice on that welcomed :D )

Exhaust wise it's 3" block to bumper, comprising of Racing Beat header, Pettit dual resonated (lol) decat and Pettit catback. I'm going to try and source a free-flowing silencer or resonator and have my mate weld that in and customise to suit volume and tone. Getting myself a noise tester and will do some thorough testing of both static and drive-by. The biggest problem for me on track noise wise is when the intake fully opens up at 5750. The tone changes and the volume kicks up a notch so I suspect I will have issues for drive-by limits at a lot of tracks currently.

Ian - from a drivability perspective, it's not too bad if I'm honest. Would I want to daily it? Probably not. The braps are wonderful and intoxicating - literally, the fumes are hideous - but without a quieter exhaust it would become irksome I think. Likewise it doesn't cruise at anything below ~2,500rpm and hot starts are a challenge.

In case people are curious, Nick tested the compression of my engine at Castle Combe. 4.9 across the board. That, with a nice big battery and a fairly quick R3 starter still struggles to get it going after stopping for petrol!
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 am

Wow, really? :shock: I knew the comp would be lower than stock obvs but I didn't realise it would be that low!!

It's obviously a trait of a RE so it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.... Hopefully!! :lol:

I also didn't realise it was a bit of a biatch to start after switching off which must be a tad frustrating. Is this something that Josh can improve or is it just the way it is so to speak?

Might just stick to a BP then :lol: TBH the struggle to start her would really tick me off and I don't think I could live with it, I'd just get frustrated with it.

Upside being the awesome idle on her. I remember you posted a vid of her just sitting there brapping away and I was like hells yeeeeah 8) BUT I'd be wanting her to start on the button pretty much all the time.

I think just from reading your comments that she's more a track monster than a street monster with that RE which for you is ideal but for me maybe not so much as I'd never track her so the RE as awesome as it sounds might not be ideal for me.
FULL RESPRAY

DONE...
FULL MZ CUSTOMS KIT
MILLTEK CATBACK
JAPSPEED DROPLINKS
FULL ALLOY REFURB
RR D585 COILs
6000K HID KIT
TINTS
20MIL SPACERS

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:12 am

Yeah, chatted to Josh about the comp results and he said that - whilst I'm the first to comp test one - he would expect it to the a decent chunk lower than a normal bridgeport. The main takeaway of it is that they are all even across all faces and chambers :thumleft:

Josh has finished building his guineapig motor (a bigger, badder version of the first - the predecessor to mine) and his doesn't currently start without a tow start :lol:

I think we all need to chat to Qwakers about his 350rpm starter motor :lol:

The starting isn't that bad Ian, in truth. I've never had it not start on me, but it does take a little coercion when it's been turned off and on again.

EDIT: I've got to move it to put it in the barn later - and I can't just leave it to warm up, so I best take it out for a drive! When I get back I'll turn it off, leave it a min and then video the start so people can see what I mean :)

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 am

Tow start? :shock: :lol: quick question,is it in the back of your mind with the comp being so low that she just might give up the ghost and require another build?

I'm sure that won't be the case but if it was me I think this would defo be on my mind :paranoid:

Looking forward to the vid....Not of her struggling to start ( although that's interesting in itself) but of the braps 8)
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post:
Lemon (Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:48 am)
FULL RESPRAY

DONE...
FULL MZ CUSTOMS KIT
MILLTEK CATBACK
JAPSPEED DROPLINKS
FULL ALLOY REFURB
RR D585 COILs
6000K HID KIT
TINTS
20MIL SPACERS

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:26 am

Yeah, not sure if that was just for the first start or not :)

And it is in the back of my mind the same as it is for everyone. The main difference being that I've got a warranty on the build same as any other RX8 owner who's had an engine built by a reputable builder*.

TBH we also have no bearing over whether my compression is what could be defined as low for my specific build either. That could be equivalent to a stock engine testing up in the 8s for all we know :thumleft: - that is what I tell myself to help me sleep at night! :lol:

Ultimately it starts, runs well and sounds fantastic, and I've got a warranty for if it doesn't.

*Warranty isn't as iron clad as a normal one as this is experimental. If you're considering having this done, discuss it with Ben up at RR. This may change etc. etc. etc. legal mumbo jumbo, always read the terms and conditions, sacrifice of children, pets, goldfish may be required. :thumleft:
kopite72 (Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:33 am)

350matt
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 350matt » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am

I'd say with the power steering the 1st thing to check is the large high power connection on the top of the rack as this gets wet if the coolant bottle overflows
you can get to it from underneath but its far easier if you remove the battery so you can pull it part and give the connectors a good scrub

regarding the exhaust then I'd say might be an idea to fit a 200 cell cat if you go for a reasonable diameter ( at least 5" ) as that won't offer too much back pressure and will shut it up a bit and also solve the fumes issue, as CO is nasty stuff

you can also fit a cherry bomb type of silencer on the straight portion of exhaust before the diff, they don't drop much but will help by a few dB

Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:36 am

Regarding sound issues,
I just bolted in a couple of mutes which I bought from Merlin Motorsport for £15 and took 30 mins
If I’d had more time I could have made them for nothing as I used to for the motorcycles.
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Regarding the compression, I have been pondering this, and bouncing it around with others. It's entirely reasonable for a very aggressive port to not be able to start the compression process until well after BDC. The ports can bleed the pressure away at the start of the compression stroke. This means that there is less gas mass being compressed than in a "normal engine", and the "effective" compression ratio will be much less than the 10:1 that the Renesis rotors theoretically generate. I'm not saying for certain that this is happening, but it can. If Josh wants to send me his porting templates I can check it out for him. :whistle:

This can be less of a problem at high revs, because pulse tuning means the chamber can get filled efficiently anyway. But it's a quirk of the rotary, and means that porting for lots of overlap will often mean a consequent loss of compression. This doesn't happen with a piston engine. It could be one reason why the absolute power of Dan's engine isn't quite as high as originally expected.

It will also affect hot starts, in exactly the same way as any lack of low speed compression will affect hot starts.

The difference is that it isn't the result of wear, and therefore there is no reason to believe it will get worse over time. It's just the nature of this engine. I guess eventually the engine will start to wear, then the reduced compression from wear will start to add to the reduced compression from the porting, and at that point the car may be a pig to start. But that could take tens of thousands of miles, so there's no reason to be abnormally worried about it.

That's my best guess at the moment, anyway.
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post:
kopite72 (Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:31 pm)
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

TheJDMStereotype
Club Member
Club Member

Post by TheJDMStereotype » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Conan wrote:Regarding sound issues,
I just bolted in a couple of mutes which I bought from Merlin Motorsport for £15 and took 30 mins
If I’d had more time I could have made them for nothing as I used to for the motorcycles.
Pete
That's a good idea, I'm considering a similar engine setup if the current one dies. Only issue I was worrying about was the sound restrictions :) Nice build by the way

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2009 Sparkling black R3
- Japspeed sport cat
- Luke tow strap
- Petit Racing exhaust
- Battery tie down clamp
- Mapped by LC Rotary
- EBC discs and pads all round
- K&N panel filter

- Looked after by LC Rotary

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for the exhaust noise suggestions peeps, I think we're going to try and source a decent resonator first and weld that in (or slip joint it in temporarily - one plus point to the Pettit system I suppose). My thoughts are that'd be the least restrictive solution at least. Then next options would be a silencer or a nice high flow 200cpi cat. My worries with a cat are that my engine will pork one pretty quickly, but I imagine a well built 200cpi shouldn't be a problem. That said, that would be the most expensive option.

I'm not too fussed about fumes as it doesn't do that many miles :thumleft:

The video of my hot start is uploading as we speak below. It's not that bad, but it does make your heart skip every so often :P

TheJDMStereotype (Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:36 pm)

V8 Power
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by V8 Power » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Dan
I have got a sound meter that you are very welcome to use/borrow.
These users thanked the author V8 Power for the post:
Dr. FrankenRex (Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 pm)
Peripheral Ported intake and exhaust
Carbon seats
Sabelt 6 point harnesses
Bumper cold air feed
Tein Monosport coilovers
Lexan front windows with sliders
Carbon Adjustable wing
Feed gearknob
Axial short shift
OMP suede wheel with quick release
RE Amemiya front splitter & canards
Autec lightweight alloys
Whiteline ARB's
Stripped interior
Aurora blue R3

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:06 pm

It's not as bad as I was expecting Dan TBH but oooooh those braps 8)
FULL RESPRAY

DONE...
FULL MZ CUSTOMS KIT
MILLTEK CATBACK
JAPSPEED DROPLINKS
FULL ALLOY REFURB
RR D585 COILs
6000K HID KIT
TINTS
20MIL SPACERS

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:08 pm

For some of you curious types I set up some mics on the rear bumper of the car for my drive. I'll get some of the best quality snippets and share them somehow :lol:

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Won't let me add audio files, but download this, plonk some headphones on and enjoy.

It's a pull from about 20mph up to the limiter in 2nd :thumleft:

Some braps at the beginning and a couple of pops and bangs for good measure :)

These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post (total 2):
TheJDMStereotype (Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm) • New Duke (Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:48 am)

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:55 am

My exhaust went bang as I overtook someone tonight. Funny how it always seems to do that ;) . They panicked and swerved.

But yours is a whole other level. Lovely that sounds Dan. I had listen to it twice. Very special.

350matt
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 350matt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 am

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 pm
Thanks for the exhaust noise suggestions peeps, I think we're going to try and source a decent resonator first and weld that in (or slip joint it in temporarily - one plus point to the Pettit system I suppose). My thoughts are that'd be the least restrictive solution at least. Then next options would be a silencer or a nice high flow 200cpi cat. My worries with a cat are that my engine will pork one pretty quickly, but I imagine a well built 200cpi shouldn't be a problem. That said, that would be the most expensive option.

I'm not too fussed about fumes as it doesn't do that many miles :thumleft:

The video of my hot start is uploading as we speak below. It's not that bad, but it does make your heart skip every so often :P

this firm make good quality cats that aren't too expensive, I'm running one on my car and its done 8K miles so far and still intact...so far.......

http://catsandpipes.co.uk/
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
Dr. FrankenRex (Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 am)

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:06 am

Cheers for the advice Matt. I'll have a gander. As said I'd like to avoid the cat option if at all possible because of the porting. Better to not risk it IMO, but will certainly have a look.

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:30 am

Some of you may have heard about my power steering issue - well, it turned out not to be the rack but the connectors themselves being corroded!

Chopped them out, replaced them and now all is well in the Franken-world. Running well, sounding awesome and now turning with the normal amount of effort! :D
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post (total 4):
warpc0il (Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:58 am) • TheJDMStereotype (Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:06 am) • ChrisHolmes (Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pm) • bc-49 (Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:24 pm)

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:59 am

Just realised it's been a long time since I've posted in here...

The reason being that the car is off the road. Works fine, no problems, but gotta get my save on as my wife is pregnant and due in September!

A teeny tiny FrankenRex Jr. is on its way!

Should get the car back on the road for a month in July as I'll be off to Silverstone Classic with the car being displayed with PistonHeads. Likewise I'll try to make a few meets through July if I can :)

Scartlead
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Scartlead » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:53 am

Congrats Dan :thumleft:
These users thanked the author Scartlead for the post:
Dr. FrankenRex (Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:58 am)
Aka Mark

My Build viewtopic.php?f=204&t=70916

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:52 am

Massive congrats Dan!

The stunned look on your toddlers face the first time they sit in an 8 and it goes 'vrroooooooooooooom' to the beep is priceless. So many firsts like that to look forward to.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
Dr. FrankenRex (Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:59 am)

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”