Place for discussions about the RX-8
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

HID main beam headlights

Post by Delanor »

For anyone who has replaced the H9 Halogen main beam bulbs with a HID kit you will be aware that there is a short delay when switching from dipped beam to a full power main beam well now there are now HID kits with 1 second fast start ballasts, I bought this HID kit although it comes with H3 bulbs I only wanted the two ballasts and it was only £5.99 complete.

I haven`t swapped the ballasts yet but I tried them on a 12 volt battery and they do light fully virtually straight away compared to the original ballasts which strikes an arc then gradually reaches full intensity after a few seconds.

I`ll swap them over when I have a minute.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: HID main beam headlights

Post by warpc0il »

I'd be interested to hear the full report, once fitted.

The inability to do "a quick flash" was the main reason that I haven't switched to high beam HIDs
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

you can get a kit with h9 bulbs here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55W-HID-KIT- ... :rk:9:pf:0

they seem like good value I have to say
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

I have a HID kit fitted and the switch over is literally three seconds.It's an expensive kit hence the quick switch over time but TBH you'd hardly notice it
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

:whathesaid:

There is a few second switch time on my existing ballasts but they do still flash as normal lights just not quite at full intensity I just thought it would be better for an instant brightness main beam when driving at speed on unlit roads.

I`ll report back when I have swapped them.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Before I upgraded to a custom watercooled main beam setup in the RX8 (probably the most powerful beams in the UK in an oem housing) I used drop in LED's, the beam focus was slightly off but that was a couple of years ago and technology has moved on so that the beam focus from LED's is pretty much the same now as a filament bulb but putting out 4x as much light per watt.

Using as high beam it doesn't really matter too much about the focus as you dip the beams for oncoming traffic, on my other car (Blobeye WRX) it came fitted with filaments for both dipped and main beam and I've just upgraded the dipped beam to LED and it's far more powerful than the main beams now, I'd say at least 4x the light output of stock.

The next mod I'm doing to my rx8 is putting in the Halogen 192 assembly for the dipped beam instead of the HID's that are currently in it and using an LED like these ones as they are far better than HID technology output wise, I'm using Osram night breakers at the moment as HID's but as they are now four years old the light output has dropped markedly from new, an issue which LED's don't suffer from.
These are what I'm using in my WRX and can recomend them
https://advrider.com/f/threads/h4-led-b ... 8.1286743/
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

What LED`s are you using? I have tried various LED headlight bulbs and agreed they do give a brighter white light but they just don`t have the power of a HID in my experience I have got some of these LED main beam bulbs in my Kuga and they are better but still not as powerful as the HID dipped beams which are far stronger.

Del.
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

In the RX8 I'm using some de domed Cree XHP 70's in the sidelights overdriven at 8 amps, around 7k lumen per side with a 15 degree spread that really punches the light down the road.

In the WRX I'm using the Evitek F2's in place of the Halogen beam, the main beam is a 65w PIAA filament lamp it's a night and day difference.
Will try and get some beam shots, I tried using my dashcam but it doesn't really show the difference very well, the main beam on my RX8 has a range of about 2km (judging by the reflection on road signs).

The RX8 was the first car I had with Xenon HID's and I remember being impressed compared to my previous car that had filament bulbs in a fluted glass lense and the jump from HID to LED is similar.

Lasers are now coming down in price and are the future, quite a few people are retrofitting them into older housings but they still cost quite a bit compared to LED and the control side of the lights isn't quite there yet as in OEM car it's tied into the cars autodimming sensors which isn't possible yet in a retrofit.
simonah91
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by simonah91 »

Is there anything else that's needed for the HID kit to fit the 231 model? Also do you replace the dipped or main beam?

Cheers
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

A HID kit has everything you need consisting of Ballasts & bulbs the dipped beam is already HID but with OE 4300K bulbs personally I find 6000K bulbs are better you get a whiter light, you only need to replace the H9 Halogen main beam bulbs with a HID kit using H9 6000K bulbs.

Del.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

kopite72 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:48 pm
I have a HID kit fitted and the switch over is literally three seconds.It's an expensive kit hence the quick switch over time but TBH you'd hardly notice it
:-k

At 110kph*, in three seconds you'd drive 300ft.
That's a long way while waiting for the main bean to switch over. :shock:

*68mph
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
simonah91
Former Member
Former Member

Post by simonah91 »

Delanor wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:46 pm
A HID kit has everything you need consisting of Ballasts & bulbs the dipped beam is already HID but with OE 4300K bulbs personally I find 6000K bulbs are better you get a whiter light, you only need to replace the H9 Halogen main beam bulbs with a HID kit using H9 6000K bulbs.

Del.
Hi Del, thanks for the information. So I will need to change the dipped bulbs to 8000k and get the kit for main bulbs.

Just to check its H7 for dipped and H9 for main?

Cheers

Simon
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

8000k looks cool but is not the best for vision at night, that would be 6000k.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
simonah91
Former Member
Former Member

Post by simonah91 »

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am
8000k looks cool but is not the best for vision at night, that would be 6000k.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

simonah91 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 am
Delanor wrote:

Del.
Hi Del, thanks for the information. So I will need to change the dipped bulbs to 8000k and get the kit for main bulbs.

Cheers

Simon

No dipped beam is D2S bulb - mains are H9 and 6000K.

H7 bulb is for the 190 bhp car, 8000K gives a pretty blue light but less actual intensity.

Del.
simonah91
Former Member
Former Member

Post by simonah91 »

Delanor wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 am
simonah91 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 am
Delanor wrote:

Del.

Cheers

Simon

No dipped beam is D2S bulb - mains are H9 and 6000K.

H7 bulb is for the 190 bhp car, 8000K gives a pretty blue light but less actual intensity.

Del.
Thanks for your advice
Mherby
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Mherby »

These kits ok for MOT?
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

It's all down to interpretation.

Some consider that the regulations only apply to dipped beam, so it doesn't matter what you do with main beam.
The 231 already has HID dipped beam, with washers etc.

If it was a neat enough install, without obvious aftermarket boxes and wiring around the headlights, most testers won't even notice.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Mherby (Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Mherby
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Mherby »

Yeah that sounds reasonable, might as well add that whilst I'm doing the other bits!