Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Re: Loss of power ***** need advice

Post by Dave2112 »

This should keep you right :thumright:
9C2BB2B3-E2CA-4575-8C99-A3813369FC89.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kamikaze
Too many to list.
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

goodeggbob wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:03 am
hi,pete h says coils fire once every revolution.dont they fire 3 times? i may be wrong but if i am right,at 9000 rpm each coil will fire 27,000 times, on a piston engine at 9,000 revs they will fire a mere 4,500 times , please correct me if i am wrong pete, but this is my understanding of it,rob.
I know it seems that way, but it's not. Remember that the rotor goes at one third the speed of the e-shaft, and the rpm is recorded at the e-shaft. So the maximum speed of the rotor itself is only 3000rpm. For one turn of the e-shaft each rotor turns by one third (one chamber), and each coil therefore fires once.
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post:
goodeggbob (Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:15 pm)
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Daleevs »

So it is a case of matching the correct length leads up??? Thats what i done again euro car parts :-/ wish they had marks or labels tho :-/ will check order again later wasnt sure coz theres two leads the same lenght so was wondering if then leads would be any different thats all thanks for the help and support guys
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

thanks for explaining that pete h,rob.
Rob :thumright:
Boston Rotary
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by Boston Rotary »

Daleevs wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 pm
So it is a case of matching the correct length leads up??? Thats what i done again euro car parts :-/ wish they had marks or labels tho :-/ will check order again later wasnt sure coz theres two leads the same lenght so was wondering if then leads would be any different thats all thanks for the help and support guys

Front coil = front lead plug
Second coil = front trail plug
Third coil = rear lead plug
Last coil = rear trail plug
As you look at them from the front of the car
Plugs are also marked with either a T or L plus there different in appearance. On the engine you will see. T or L to help you get them right. πŸ‘
These users thanked the author Boston Rotary for the post:
acegeezer (Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:53 pm)
Bigpete

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by SeeJay »

:whathesaid:

Also,here's a handy little pic :thumleft: (You can actually see the embossed 'L' next to the leading plugs).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author SeeJay for the post:
Boston Rotary (Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:28 pm)
2008 Sparkling Black R3 ●Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback ● Drilled/grooved discs ● Simota Induction Kit ● D585 Coils ● Braided S/S lines ● Polished Engine Bay ● DRL's ● 2011 Spec Gearbox ●LED Side & fogs ● Calibre GT-R rims ● Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 ● Nissan GTR spoiler ● RacingBeat ARB's ● Tein coilovers ● BHR motor mounts ● Amemiya Grille ● CL RC5 pads
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

Damb see jay your the man!!!! Il have a lil look tomoz and go over things i know youve all said the coils and im with you on your sayings was just hoping they would last say 2 weeks to get the 585s thats all wont it be mad if all this and its the wrong order of leads, also do the leads vary???? Even if they did i suppose theres inly two ways they would go with the lengths
Boston Rotary
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by Boston Rotary »

There’s 2 longer leads and 2 smaller ones the smaller ones are the trailing and the longer are the leading. If they are different lengths ie. 1 small is longer than the other the longer small one goes to the rear trailer same on the longer ones
Bigpete

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary
SeeJay
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeeJay »

Daleevs,if you're still having problems,two very knowledgeable long term RX8 owners,who are members here,are also in South Wales - Dan Henley (DanBass on the forum),and Phil Bate (PhilBate on the forum ;) ),and may be able to provide on-site help :thumleft:
2008 Sparkling Black R3 ●Japspeed Sportcat & Toyo Catback ● Drilled/grooved discs ● Simota Induction Kit ● D585 Coils ● Braided S/S lines ● Polished Engine Bay ● DRL's ● 2011 Spec Gearbox ●LED Side & fogs ● Calibre GT-R rims ● Michelin Pilot Sport 3 255/35 19 ● Nissan GTR spoiler ● RacingBeat ARB's ● Tein coilovers ● BHR motor mounts ● Amemiya Grille ● CL RC5 pads
acegeezer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by acegeezer »

.. unless you have cheap leads to go with the cheap coils, then you need to get them changed too :(
John
β–Ί R3-2009 "Sparkling Black" .. Gone but never to be forgotten 8)

New kid on the block .. Renault Megane RS 265 Diamond Black 2012 .. immaculate .. and quick :thumleft: Plus Honda CRV for the Dobermanns' :D
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Dazza44 »

He has the ECP leads

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Dazza44 for the post:
Boston Rotary (Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 pm)
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

Il make a note of them both cheers mate yea ive seen one or two going around newport area and a cracking silver or grey one down caldicot i passed him before, and yes sadly by the sounds of it i got the euro crap parts πŸ–“now knowing these aaint like most cars where you can pop to these factors and just get normal parts like :-/ can see this will P*** people.off now mite do a k swap next pmsl πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ JOKE guys relax
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

The car in Caldicot will be Phil Bate :thumleft:

:arrow: Clicky here if you'd like to send him a PM

Regards,Mark.
Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

So something abit weird here, i took the ECP coils off today to examine them and they look the same as they did out of the box like new, so i checked the order of the leads and swaped the two trail leads around as one was slighter longer than the other, then the coils i thought to try move the pins up slightly say 1mm or 2mm swapped the coils in different orders which i think wouls really do much, and boom i turned the key fired up straight away :thumleft: i left it idle for about 10 mins was fine, took it for a drive, ive done a good 60 miles pulls really well was shocked, ive had 2 flashing cel lights at high rpm say 20 mins apart but nothing like the other day flashing everytime i put over 1/4 throttle, so would you still say coils??? Ive decided to go with the d585 ls coils which il be geting around 2 weeks time so will use the car very little untill then just cannot wait to fit them also il still do a obd scan when it comes wednesday also i got the new fuel pump to fit i bet the filter will be minging haha ao that should be a good job too
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

yes, the flashing cel will be the coils. send the, back for a refund and fit genuine, d585s or rrp’s own brand coils
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

Good stuff. You've just experienced how important firing reliably, and at the right time, is to a rotary. That's why you can't risk cheap coils. Hopefully you've got away with it misfiring so far, but nobody's luck last forever. The advice on here would always be, don't risk it.
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

Cheers lads peteh and qwakers πŸ–’ nice to hear Roxanne sounding normal again going to see if i can negotiate with the dragon now aka the Mrs to see if these coils can get here sooner πŸ˜‚ wish me luck id rather take my chances with the rotary engine than her im 3 times her size but ive seen her kill a man at 10 pace's just using her sight alone πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

all the best with that,why not tempt her with the heated seats,it worked for me,i had picture and no sound for 3 days before coaxing her into the passenger seat. good luck,rob.
Rob :thumright:
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

Food for thought while im waiting for these coils to come :-) just out of curiosity but seems i got a O2 sensor problem code come up on my obd scanner being to lean say if this dont go back to normal when coils are installed, ive red that with bad coils the cat can get ruined and burnt out, however im running a decat pipe which i replaced a few months back because the other decat pipe was shot it had cracks ect and was leaking, so..... would the bad coilsof caused the O2 sensors to break or play up? And if the cat aint there to get red hot could the decat pipe still do so maybe causing some cracks and damage ect?
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh »

What code is it? The decat can apparently cause a code to be thrown - search may find more details
These users thanked the author Ainmhidh for the post:
Daleevs (Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 pm)
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
Daleevs
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Daleevs »

I think its a p2270 ainmhidh im hoping the rest are caused by the coils being **** to be honest time will tell, i got a oil change and filter swap tomoz should be fun as the old sump bolt is rounding, so will try mole grips or last resort a nice cut with dremel then a screw driver
Azimuth
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Azimuth »

Good excuse to pick up a magnetic sump plug! I have a decat and have seen p2270 once or twice. Once you get your odb reader just clear that code, and see if it returns. I get one about once every 2 months, so if it pops straight back up it might be something else. Possibly coils related or a vacuum leak, but I wouldn't worry about that unless it keeps showing up after you get your coils sorted.