PZ SUSPENSION (brand new) GROUP BUY !! CLOSED MONDAY 21st MAY

Place for discussions about the RX-8
PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Re: PZ SUSPENSION (brand new) GROUP BUY (open to all)

Post by PeteH » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:19 am

This is going brilliantly. Well done Pete, and the others helping behind the scenes.

One thought I had is whether we can get even more interest by mentioning it on overseas forums? I know the PZ was primarily a UK special, but this suspension is a great s1 mod, so it could be of interest.

If any members on here are also members of overseas forums perhaps they could give this this Group Buy a bit of a shout out, with a link back to this thread.
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rotary Potato » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:02 am

Mine was in my junk folder too. Hopefully doesn't stop too many people who might otherwise have been interested.
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017

Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:46 am

PeteH wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:19 am
This is going brilliantly. Well done Pete, and the others helping behind the scenes.

One thought I had is whether we can get even more interest by mentioning it on overseas forums? I know the PZ was primarily a UK special, but this suspension is a great s1 mod, so it could be of interest.

If any members on here are also members of overseas forums perhaps they could give this this Group Buy a bit of a shout out, with a link back to this thread.
That’s already in hand Pete :thumleft:
Warpc0il has put some very good posts on the Irish forums and I am looking at postage costs.
I have also asked if we can have a banner up for a short time as the agm diner is full.
I think that may be something to do with you now ;)
Congratulations on your appointment (you mad fool) =D>
Regards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am

I've been a advocate for this initiative from the start and Pete keeps reminding me that I haven't signed-up for a set. [-X

My car is running OEM dampers with Eibach Option springs, which I've been very happy with over the years, both on the road and track.

However, that's a good point "over the years" as I bought these units from another member in 2010, when he upgraded to coil-overs. This means that, though the dampers are two years younger than my car (from his '06) they're still 12 years old and have seen over 90k miles. The springs are slightly younger but still not that youthful.

Fitting lower springs to the OEM dampers means that the damper rod is being worked (most of the time) over a different range than previously - being more compressed - which actually helps a bit. But the higher (stronger) spring rate means that the rebound damping has to work quite a bit harder than it was originally designed. Dampers are a combination of mechanical components and oil, both of which wear out over time/miles.

Some of the country roads over here in NI are even worse than those we used for breakfast runs back in Essex, and it's beginning to show as, while the suspension was great for the Kirkistown trackday, it's getting very uncomfortable over the potholes and poor repairs.

We don't have a lot of fun money to throw around but, after much consideration, we've agreed that this PZ suspension kit would make a good investment towards keeping the car going and getting the best out of her.

So I'm in, full set :thumleft:

Hopefully sharing these thoughts will help those that are still as yet undecided.

One additional consideration for the Committee; either the Club Shop or a trusted trader needs to hold a minimum stock of these units ongoing to cover any future demand for single units following crash damage or such eventualities. PZ owners are currently exposed, given that replacements are as rare as unicorn tears, and that's what initially triggered this initiative, from which many/any Series 1 owners can now benefit.

However, years down the line we don't want to see even more cars exposed in the same way, so some of the production run has to be held back for spares.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:35 am

There are currently 35 ish 40th Anniversary cars on the register which are all now approx`10 years old.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, DIY AC Delco D585 coil conversion, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

brix79
Club Chairman
Club Chairman
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by brix79 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Really positive response to this whole GB, one which I've been very keen to see come to fruition as it's about helping to preserve not only a special edition in the PZ, but potentially any of the other S1s out there. :thumleft:
WhelanUK wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 am
I know the email has been sent out but only from reading this thread.

Mine went straight into my junk folder and I fear this might be the case for a lot of people.

Could the same mail not be sent as a PM within the forum to ensure as many people as possible receive it?
This is an occupational hazard of emails, as we all know, but it does provide at least a chance of those who don't use the forum to see that it's going on.
The issue with mass PMs is it often gets considered as spam because of the volume of email notifications generated by the forum all being sent out in a short space of time, then we get blacklisted!
Even if I were to limit the PM to just the member group, it's still a lot. This is part of the reason why we moved to using an email service. And PM notifications may also suffer the same fate of the junk folder!

Perhaps a banner would help, I'll see if we can do that. :)
John
Chairman & Forum Admin Team

2017 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3
20mm Eibach Pros | LED'd | Premixed | More to come..

2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone, but never forgotten..

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm

I have tein's with edfc on mine ,not sure if these would be a massive difference on mine ?
Hayward's bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers with edfc,oil pressure and oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front and rear grills,folding tow hook's,connect2
To do install sohn tank bracket made but still need to get time to install,caliper painting :thumright:

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:13 pm

nightfire10 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm
I have tein's with edfc on mine ,not sure if these would be a massive difference on mine ?
If they're relatively new then you're probable right, but then it would have cost over twice as much as the PZ kit being offered here.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:11 pm

johnbb99 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 am
Excuse my ignorance, and please may I clarify:-
These are a straight swap on my 06 plate (plain vanilla 231) car, without any other work required to drive the car?
(I’m assuming checking the alignment is recommended, however).
My car has done 52,000 miles; how long (typically – I know it’ll vary) before the original shocks will not be performing properly.?
I assume the ride is firmer with the PZ set up, but by how much?
I see elsewhere the PZ set up is described as chalk and cheese cf the standard suspension: would anyone please describe the differences?
I can see this is a great deal for those who go for it, and a one-off opportunity; I‘m just wondering what I would get for my pile of tenners! :)
I think it’s great that this initiative has been taken, and I really appreciate that it will have taken loads of time and effort.
Hi John,
I will try and answer your questions but feel free to ask anything else.
The suspension is a straight swap. If the alignment was correct before it will be better after fitting although a quick check is never a bad thing as you say.

The ride is slightly lower and firmer. It underwent extensive testing at Pro-Drive.
I've never hears anyone say the PZ is too hard on the road, although it is as firm as I want for a daily.

I described it as Chalk and Cheese :)
The original suspension has a very long travel, the PZ suspension has much shorter travel making it feel like a true sports car and sharper handling all round.

If your suspension was brand new this brand new PZ suspension would still be chalk and cheese :)

I see from your previous list of cars that this is for you and your pile of tenners will give you priceless enjoyment
Are you IN or OUT ;)
Regards
Pete

Ninja_Freak
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: PZ SUSPENSION (brand new) GROUP BUY

Post by Ninja_Freak » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:41 pm

xamtex wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:01 am
put me down as interested in full set subject to confirmed price.
ditto
56 Plate PZ in Galaxy Grey!!

Ninja_Freak
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Ninja_Freak » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 pm

oh and can I just say.. Well done to the committee for pulling this together. As said elsewhere, if the email didn't come out, I most likely would have missed this altogether.

I don't have a clue where to get these fitted (I guess I have time to ask around) as I lost faith in my local Mazda "stealership" when I had my first RX8. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
56 Plate PZ in Galaxy Grey!!

13Black
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by 13Black » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Any competent garage with a 17mm socket will be able to fit them really. One man(one person, for the Canadians among us) job to do over several hours.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags

jondkent
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by jondkent » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Put me down for arm twisting for the full set as I'd need to twist the household bank manager arm, so don't want to fully commit just yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by jondkent on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks to the latest additions :
hwk
brad_will
WaferShaf
mimnouk
warpc0il
Ninja_Freak
jondkent
You're all on the list and it is now quite clear a few more will make the 50 happen :thumleft:
Well done Everyone
Pete

Just received this pm from another member as well :thumleft:
Sent: 18 Feb 2018, 16:42
Recipient: Conan
Hi,

Seen your ad for the new Pz suspension kit.

If you get the volumes up to 50 where the price will come down to £530 count me in for a full set.

Thanks.

DonyFlyer
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by DonyFlyer » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Okay put me down for a full set again depending on final price and when this goes ahead.

PJ_Parsons
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by PJ_Parsons » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Great to hear that 50 sets looks likely. I’ve been looking for something to make my car quicker on trackdays, that is a known quantity. So, if you could put me down for a full set please.

ian.mac
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by ian.mac » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Better add me to the list for a full set, can’t believe this offer will come around again.

Sorry if this has been asked already, are any of the traders going to be committing to some?

poor_lackey
Club Member
Club Member

Post by poor_lackey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:28 pm

A most excellent effort Conan ..... and team.

I sooo want to commit to a set, and working hard on justification to inner self and budget (wife).

Without wanting to make it more complicated (but I will ask anyway) is it be possible for orders shipped outside of EC to be exported VAT free?
It might encourage a few more takers for the nether regions, as would do a lot to offset freight and additional destination country taxes.

Tony

13Black
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by 13Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 am

ian.mac wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 pm
Sorry if this has been asked already, are any of the traders going to be committing to some?
I can't speak for everyone, but as I appear to be the only one on the list, I can say that I'm only buying one set for personal use, none as stock for future sales, and I doubt anyone else will be either.

If cash is going to be tied up into stock, then there are much easier items to shift that these will be down the line I'm sure and there won't be much room for a decent profit to offset the risk considering the cost per unit.

I think it wise that if people want them, then they do everyone a favour including themselves, and get them now to ensure a decent price for everybody. If they miss out, then that would have to be their problem and their own legwork to find a set that become surplus to requirements somehow at some point.

My 2c
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags

Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:10 am

poor_lackey wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:28 pm
A most excellent effort Conan ..... and team.

I sooo want to commit to a set, and working hard on justification to inner self and budget (wife).

Without wanting to make it more complicated (but I will ask anyway) is it be possible for orders shipped outside of EC to be exported VAT free?
It might encourage a few more takers for the nether regions, as would do a lot to offset freight and additional destination country taxes.

Tony
Hi Tony,
Thank you for your support :thumleft: I’ll send you a pm later today.
You must have the only 40th in New Zealand, cool.
Is this a Brexit trade deal we’re negotiating, perhaps we should be running the country ;)
I’m not used to exporting but we can look at it.
Regards
Pete

Big thanks to the latest people joining the buy.
You're on the list :thumleft:

Rusty Nightspring
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Rusty Nightspring » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Conan wrote: ...I’m not used to exporting but we can look at it.
Regards
Pete
I suspect of you could do a non -EU shipment then our RX8 owner's club cousins across the pond in trumpland might be interested, and that's a much bigger market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

"... for I am a stranger in a strange land!"

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:15 pm

You'd need to clarify what the product warranty arrangements would be.

Actually, I've not seen anything regarding warranty for the UK, let alone International.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

johnbb99
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by johnbb99 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Many thanks to Rusty and Pete [conan] for your responses; much appreciated by myself, and (I'd guess) other waverers.
Any other comparisons of std v pz might bring others on board!
John -- giving some TLC to a 2006 Winning Blue 231. Mouse Mat Mod & LED sidelights. Fitted the Rotary Revs Coil kit.
Have owned a Mk1 Golf GTi 1800, a 1984 Audi 90 Quattro [GTi Engineering 2.5l engine], and a Peugeot 205 CTi. The rest were boring!

Hopkins
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Hopkins » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 pm

I'm a waverer. My primary concern is with replacement parts for possible failures down the line. A meta-concern is that impartial advice will be hard to discern in a forum full of enthusiasts hoping for a further discount on a bulk buy ;). That said, i'm far from immune to evangelisation, and this thread has made be quite excited!

I have a one of the latest of the first generation 231s (registered in 2008) and I am extremely happy with it. However, I am attempting to maintain it to a high standard and I am interested in making modifications with tangible benefits. Were I not to take up this offer, what alternatives for improving the suspension/handling would be open to me? And, as per my primary concern with this offer, what would be a likely consequence of a failure of the PZ suspension in a couple of years time - switching back in the original components?

Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Hopkins wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 pm
I'm a waverer. My primary concern is with replacement parts for possible failures down the line. A meta-concern is that impartial advice will be hard to discern in a forum full of enthusiasts hoping for a further discount on a bulk buy ;). That said, i'm far from immune to evangelisation, and this thread has made be quite excited!

I have a one of the latest of the first generation 231s (registered in 2008) and I am extremely happy with it. However, I am attempting to maintain it to a high standard and I am interested in making modifications with tangible benefits. Were I not to take up this offer, what alternatives for improving the suspension/handling would be open to me? And, as per my primary concern with this offer, what would be a likely consequence of a failure of the PZ suspension in a couple of years time - switching back in the original components?
That's very good questions and points from both of you
And I've already taken this into consideration (cause were the best club in the world) :)
The club will be holding enough spares to keep all the people involved in the group buy happy (reg nos will be required) ;)
The dampers are fully rebuilable.

Spares will be held by the club
I am talking to a Bilstien distributor about rebuilding dampers (at a club price)
I am talking to traders about suspension kit fitting
I have gone back for revised updated quotes (will take a couple of days)
We are talking about payments etc now ( So get your money ready )
I am considering collection / delivery options etc
Ace Venturer (somebody stop me)

I'm not trying to push this buy it's up to individuals to decide
Everything said is true and this is a very worthwhile upgrade (Pro-Drive put 800 new kits in the scrap bin) and fitted this kit
Perhaps some of my passengers may like to attest to the prowess of the PZ suspension (and not one has been sick) ;)
I actually sneered at this set up and said to my mate, "they didn't even bother to change the roll bars"..... This was on the way to Castle Combe before taking it round the track which really surprised me with the amount of G it would pull and the easy drivability of it and the controllable 4 wheel drift. I then had to say to my mate bl..dy hell they really did design this suspension for the car
I don't really tell people what lap times I'm capable of doing as I've had a little race experience :^o I've lapped within 10ths of the likes of Raikkonen etc in there Formula Ford days and had great fun.
I can take a passenger around Castle Combe in a virtually standard RX-8 with 40K PZ suspension in 1:20 dead which is a testament to the range that the PZ suspension is capable of. With all driver aids turned on. ( It is extremely rare to find a car that is so nice on the road yet so capable on the track) It's probably the only car for the price :thumleft: ( and yes that is with standard roll bars as well ) ;)

Now look what you've made me type :lol:
I was thinking I had to pack 10 sets up now it may be 40 :getmecoat:
If I've missed anything or any other questions ( just ask )
Regards
Pete

PS: I've had 3 PZ's
Still have one and 231 with PZ suspension :thumleft:
Last edited by Conan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “RX-8 Discussion”