Unsure as which road to go down first, rebuild and full bridge port or aftermarket parts

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
Jacks-rx8
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Unsure as which road to go down first, rebuild and full bridge port or aftermarket parts

Post by Jacks-rx8 »

So,

Basically I have recently bought an r3 rx8 around 4 months ago on the basis that I was eventually going to get it rebuilt/full bridgeport and lightened after having it for a while or when the engine decided to go, but before I'd bought it the guy had a compression test on it and I'll attach the results, I've been driving it round with absolutely no problems with it premixing it etc.

But I'm thinking it's a massive expense to get it rebuilt now if they're is still plenty of life left in the engine it has at the moment. Although I really want that bridgeport, I'm thinking is it worth me getting all the aftermarket parts I want for it first and then get it rebuilt?

The results for the compression test make no sense to me, I had a friend who came with me thats a massive rotary lover and mechanic with an rx7, he took a look and said it's all worth it.
So I was just wondering if someone could shine some light on these results, the owner before had only done 2000 miles in it since getting it. I've done another 7000 in the short time I've had it, put new cobra exhaust system on it but I've got so many more parts I want to add just wondering which is best to do first!

Had it's compression test at 41715 and it's now at 50708 miles.
Attachments
IMG_3065.JPG
IMG_3064.JPG
rameshr
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: Unsure as which road to go down first, rebuild and full bridge port or aftermarket parts

Post by rameshr »

Those look really good to me 6.8-7
I would buy aftermarket bits, then rebuild later
These users thanked the author rameshr for the post:
Jacks-rx8 (Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:47 pm)
Current
M3 E92

OLD Car
Half-Bridge Engine
Lightened Fly + Clutch
Whiteline ARB's + Droplinks
Brake Upgrade 4 pot front
AEM Intake
D969 Coils
BlackDiamond Disc + M1144 Pads
YellowSpeed Suspension
Dwell timers adjusted
Short Shifter
Braided Brake + Clutch Lines
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Re: Unsure as which road to go down first, rebuild and full bridge port or aftermarket parts

Post by qwakers »

those are good numbers as far as i can tell. plenty of life in that engine yet.
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
Jacks-rx8 (Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:48 pm)
Jacks-rx8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Jacks-rx8 »

Thanks guys, yes that's exactly what my friend said to me...he said either find one that's already been rebuilt or real good compression results, or buy one that needs a rebuild for cheap and get it rebuilt, but I saw this one and loved it! Took him to see it and said that the results were really good but I just thought I'd check up before I start shelling out money on the aftermarket parts to find out it needs a rebuild ha!

But thanks for the help!
wiggles
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by wiggles »

As long as you will have the money to rebuild it after spending out on all the bits you want you might as well use it until it dies as those are decent numbers.

Probably turnout to be one of the engines that will just keep going because you are waiting for it to fail :lol:
Project thread Galaxy grey 231 - Street Port, Tein coilovers, decat, D585's, Cobra Catback whatever 9j wheels aren't broken at the moment and a massive wing
Jacks-rx8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Jacks-rx8 »

wiggles wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm
As long as you will have the money to rebuild it after spending out on all the bits you want you might as well use it until it dies as those are decent numbers.

Probably turnout to be one of the engines that will just keep going because you are waiting for it to fail :lol:
Yeah I have a bit of money saved up, was just deciding whether to get aftermarket parts first or rebuild!

Won't take me long to save up for the rebuild anyway, even if it was to blow, I have 3 other works cars I can use :thumright:

But yes I definitely agree with you there, waiting for it to fail it will probably last a good time yet! May just get it rebuilt early next year and ported, but seems a pitty throwing all the money into the rebuild if it doesn't need it yet! But I do really want that bridgeport :thumright:
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by 13Black »

Mine was about 5.5 bar when I bought it, got bored after a year and a half of it not dying at drift days so rebuilt it anyway.
The longer you leave it, the more of your short time on this planet you're wasting without a bridgeport.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
Jacks-rx8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Jacks-rx8 »

13Black wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 pm
Mine was about 5.5 bar when I bought it, got bored after a year and a half of it not dying at drift days so rebuilt it anyway.
The longer you leave it, the more of your short time on this planet you're wasting without a bridgeport.
Wow, well it looks like I'll just have to get it rebuilt Jan/Feb time to get it ready up for summer then! I'll get these aftermarket parts done through winter and then will be a case of getting it to RR for a price on rebuilding it all etc!

How many miles did you do in it before you rebuilt it? I've done 7k just trying to get it going hoping it would need rebuilding since August, my engine light came on and I was thinking yes atlast it's rebuild time, took it to my friend and he said it was just my cat clogged up =D>
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

i would have thought it would be cheaper to have it refreshed and ported NOW whilst its still healthy, the housing and bearings are undamaged etc rather than waiting for it to need a full rebuild..

just a thought.
Jacks-rx8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Jacks-rx8 »

qwakers wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 pm
i would hav ethought it would be cheaper to have it refreshed and ported NOW whilst its still healthy, the housing and bearings are undamaged etc rather than waiting for it to need a full rebuild..

just a thought.
Yes that's a good idea, although I'm not going to do much miles this winter. I may get the aftermarket parts out of the way this winter and get it in beginning of next year for full rebuil and ported etc, then it's a case of getting it lowered/odd little bits maybe a full respray or wrap but I've heard bad stories about getting them wrapped!
boosted
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by boosted »

If you need it breaking...ill get some slicks and book a day at combe ha ha.....on a serious note...with your r3 engine as it stands now with those comp results gotta be worth 1500 plus...id speak to RR as they may have an r3 engine that can BP and swap for you...then they or you can sell on the perfectly good engine...if treated right that engine should be good for another 40k

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

231 streetported Rx8 renny powered Westfield kit race car. SOLD
92 Rx7 fd3s stock twins..est.320bhp. RETIRED Track car.
93 eunos s-sp 1.6 turbo gt2545r 226bhp track slag. in continuous development.
Scooby doo bugeye wagon wrx daily.
Mondeodog towcar.
Mx5 mk2 1.8 10ae nice day daily rust bucket.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

It looks like a strong engine comp wise, but as Nick has said - life is too short to be living without Bridgepork
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

qwakers wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 pm
i would have thought it would be cheaper to have it refreshed and ported NOW whilst its still healthy, the housing and bearings are undamaged etc rather than waiting for it to need a full rebuild..

just a thought.
You'd need to discuss with the builder of choice, but generally the rebuild costs are fixed AFAIK...
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
13Black (Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:06 pm)
DOC 787B

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

boosted
Former Member
Former Member

Post by boosted »

Swap the diff to a 5.1...seems mad to rebuild a perfectly running engine...

Mondeodog towcar.
Jacks-rx8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Jacks-rx8 »

boosted wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:03 pm
If you need it breaking...ill get some slicks and book a day at combe ha ha.....on a serious note...with your r3 engine as it stands now with those comp results gotta be worth 1500 plus...id speak to RR as they may have an r3 engine that can BP and swap for you...then they or you can sell on the perfectly good engine...if treated right that engine should be good for another 40k

That is a good idea actually, I may have a look into that once I've got these parts sorted then! And what would switching it to a 5.1 diff gain you? I know the basics but some of it I'm just clueless too ha sorry!
boosted
Former Member
Former Member

Post by boosted »

Rapid acceleration...but prob top out at about 120..gearchanges like fast n furious.
Quite expensive but cheap compared to engine rebuild.

Mondeodog towcar.
Jacks-rx8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Jacks-rx8 »

boosted wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 pm
Rapid acceleration...but prob top out at about 120..gearchanges like fast n furious.

Hmm that is tempting, but I think I'll stick to exedy ultra lightweight flywheel and stage 1 clutch for now, then the list goes on before I think about getting it rebuilt and ported! But I'll get these parts sorted before beginning of next year and then decide on the rebuild/how going to do it!
boosted
Former Member
Former Member

Post by boosted »

Cool have fun.

Mondeodog towcar.
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH »

boosted wrote:

Will still pretty much reach its top speed of 148ish actually. It's just that you would be on the red line. The standard car is massively over-geared, and would do 185mph if it had enough power.
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post:
Jacks-rx8 (Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:32 pm)
boosted
Former Member
Former Member

Post by boosted »

That interesting to know...using online calcs...the westy would be ideal with a 4.4...( is a 4.1 english live with trans x plated lsd).

Mondeodog towcar.
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

Wheel size on the Westy will make a big difference.

I'm still in 5th at the end of Bentley straight Snetterton, at 120mph, with my 5.1.
boosted
Former Member
Former Member

Post by boosted »

Have to do some calcs ive got the wheel dimensions in my book in garage...i select 5th just b4 folly at Combe but no idea on speed 100plus as cant look at the gps digi read out its tiny and ill miss avon rise lol. My eyeballs are rattling too lol. With the 4.1 5th is a let down doesnt pull like 3rd n 4th...
Im taking tower n camp in 4th though. Hadnt realised the tall gearing will have to run the numbers again...

Mondeodog towcar.
Jacks-rx8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Jacks-rx8 »

PeteH wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm
boosted wrote:

Will still pretty much reach its top speed of 148ish actually. It's just that you would be on the red line. The standard car is massively over-geared, and would do 185mph if it had enough power.
I may have to have a look into this then, this may satisfy me now until I get it ported!
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

Just make sure you will be happy doing 5000rpm on the motorway.

5.1 diffs are becoming hard to find, and will cost you four figures.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Jacks-rx8 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 pm
boosted wrote:

Hmm that is tempting, but I think I'll stick to exedy ultra lightweight flywheel and stage 1 clutch for now, then the list goes on before I think about getting it rebuilt and ported! But I'll get these parts sorted before beginning of next year and then decide on the rebuild/how going to do it!
I've got a lightweight flywheel spare if you're in the market 8)
DOC 787B

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”