North Wales Drive out - New info Pg1 for 17 Oct

Pub meets, drives and social events. For good food and good company while the car stays in the car park, or for a pleasurable drive through the countryside.
liam.k97
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Re: Snowdonia Drive Out- *INFO UPDATE*

Post by liam.k97 »

Sounds good. Meet you at Llandudno Junction then 8)

Looking forward to it :thumright:
liam.k97
Club Member
Club Member

Post by liam.k97 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:56 pm
It did actually cross my mind to surprise you gents by just turning up but at 166 miles and c3 1/2 hours to Tesco before the drive out its a no go from me this time.
It will be an epic drive out for those who attend.
Its around 2.5 hours for me, more than i thought/wanted to go before the start of the run. Being August now though, i figured we don't have much 'summer weather' left and I know I'll kick myself if i don't go :roll: I expect it'll be north of £200 in fuel and 6 hours worth of driving all said and done. Its a shame our groups are all so far apart in that sense :?
These users thanked the author liam.k97 for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:46 pm)
DrewR3
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by DrewR3 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
It did actually cross my mind to surprise you gents by just turning up but at 166 miles and c3 1/2 hours to Tesco before the drive out its a no go from me this time.
Or is this a double bluff and you will surprise us? You could make a weekend of it and stay somewhere overnight to explore the area after too?
These users thanked the author DrewR3 for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:46 pm)
Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs, TDI Tune box, De-Chrome Show 2010 RX8 R3, Crystal white, 23k miles, Full Mazda Service History, Borla Exhaust
Sadly Gone - 2006 '56' Rx8 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
liam.k97
Club Member
Club Member

Post by liam.k97 »

To be fair, it won't be much of a surprise as we'll hear Chris's (I must say glorious) supercharger from a mile off; 2 miles if he has a vacuum hose come loose and it goes from the 'Red Devil' to the 'Cotswold Banshie' :lol:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:47 pm)
DrewR3
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by DrewR3 »

liam.k97 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:
Its around 2.5 hours for me, more than i thought/wanted to go before the start of the run. Being August now though, i figured we don't have much 'summer weather' left and I know I'll kick myself if i don't go :roll: I expect it'll be north of £200 in fuel and 6 hours worth of driving all said and done. Its a shame our groups are all so far apart in that sense :?
Shouldnt be that bad. Ive just done the drive down to Dans and back in 3 hours each way in less than a full tank. Granted you have the drive here 2 but i think 100 would be about right for fuel.
ChrisHolmes (Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:47 pm)
Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs, TDI Tune box, De-Chrome Show 2010 RX8 R3, Crystal white, 23k miles, Full Mazda Service History, Borla Exhaust
Proactive
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Custom

Post by Proactive »

I think the next one needs to start further south such as Llangollen, Bala, Dolgellau and even Porthmadog.
This will give access to many other very good routes and allow others to join.
There will always be a certain degree of travel for everyone to reach a starting point, but that's the point isn't it👍
The clue is in the title it's a Snowdonia Run, we can't move Snowdonia any nearer to England unfortunately.
Simon, RX8 PZ #44. Solid Black 2006 known as Agatha
DrewR3
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by DrewR3 »

Porthmadog would be a decent trek for everyone. Perhaps llangollen would be a good one just accross the border amd further south. Up over the Horseshoe pass and down the Nant Y Coed twisty towards ruthin, then loop back on the B road towards Rhug estate and A5 back to Llangollen would be a good circuit next time. Those of us heading north could part ways at Rhug to head A5 north back this way while the others finish the loop, as we would of already taken the A5 south part down to Llangollen to meet them? Happy to do that for the 18th sept as next months meet. Though we have a few more people travelling up for that one who oerhaps want the snowdonia route?
liam.k97 (Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:30 pm)
liam.k97
Club Member
Club Member

Post by liam.k97 »

DrewR3 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:16 pm
liam.k97 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:
Shouldnt be that bad. Ive just done the drive down to Dans and back in 3 hours each way in less than a full tank. Granted you have the drive here 2 but i think 100 would be about right for fuel.

To be fair as well, Google can often have its journey times a little wonky; I get its all off averages, speed limits, traffic etc, but the more rural you go, the less accurate it is, so i've learned to take them with a pinch of salt. It all depends how many tractors are on the road :P
liam.k97
Club Member
Club Member

Post by liam.k97 »

Proactive wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:44 am
I think the next one needs to start further south such as Llangollen, Bala, Dolgellau and even Porthmadog.
There will always be a certain degree of travel for everyone to reach a starting point, but that's the point isn't it👍
The clue is in the title it's a Snowdonia Run, we can't move Snowdonia any nearer to England unfortunately.
Ofcourse, it will never truly suit everyone; it's all about compromise. Saturday is fine though :D Just being in the R3 much beyond a couple of hours starts to take its toll :D But yes, the next one seems like it'll have more people coming from further south so edging the start point a little further in that direction may be a good idea :D Not to mention, keeping the driving routes fresh.
Ofcourse, i wasn't implying moving it so far south that it was no longer in Snowdonia was a good idea, i was simply saying that its a shame that the club members seem to be in little concentrated pockets and how, when people go beyond their local meets, the long drives to the meet points can often put people off. Thats all :lol: ;)
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

It's a 500+ mile round trip for me... not including the drive in the middle with you guys. That's not putting me off though! :thumleft:

The misfire/starting issue that I have is however. If I've sorted it then I'll definitely come to the second date. If not, then I can't risk taking a sick car on such a long journey. I may have set it on fire out of frustration by then.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:48 pm) • liam.k97 (Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 pm)
Proactive
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Proactive »

liam.k97 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:30 pm
Proactive wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:44 am
Ofcourse, it will never truly suit everyone; it's all about compromise. Saturday is fine though :D Just being in the R3 much beyond a couple of hours starts to take its toll :D But yes, the next one seems like it'll have more people coming from further south so edging the start point a little further in that direction may be a good idea :D Not to mention, keeping the driving routes fresh.
Ofcourse, i wasn't implying moving it so far south that it was no longer in Snowdonia was a good idea, i was simply saying that its a shame that the club members seem to be in little concentrated pockets and how, when people go beyond their local meets, the long drives to the meet points can often put people off. Thats all :lol: ;)
Hi Liam
Not in a million years would I think you had any malice in any of your posts, I just mean that it's a Snowdonia run so a little travel would be expected except for those lucky enough to live here.😅
Can't understand why you suffer from more than a few hours in your car🤕 I have to be prized out of mine and find any excuse for a run no matter how small.
I forget that people have a different attitudes and circumstances so the fault is mine.
When I joined the club the nearest group is the Shropshire meet, or is it ? or is it that that's just the nearest bunch who meet up, there could be dozens nearer and it's just that we haven't got a "Rob" who organises the meets.
For Snowdonia meets I rekon there are around 6-8 good routes that could be used in turn with different starting points allowing as many people as possible to join at least a couple of drives during the summer months.
Just have to see how popular they become.
Good popular routes could be be rotored in turn like the pubs are for the Shropshire meet,
These users thanked the author Proactive for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:50 pm) • goodeggbob (Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:31 am)
DrewR3
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by DrewR3 »

Proactive wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:26 pm

When I joined the club the nearest group is the Shropshire meet, or is it ? or is it that that's just the nearest bunch who meet up, there could be dozens nearer and it's just that we haven't got a "Rob" who organises the meets.
I used to organise meet ups and events but ive been MIA for 3 years due to fixing up a house with every spare minute i had, which is why the Type R was sold after about 8 months of not even pulling it out due to time.

We used to have regional reps with area threads, im sure we did as im sure i used to be one, but they appear to have disappeared or it was an idea that didnt take off?
These users thanked the author DrewR3 for the post (total 3):
Proactive (Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:06 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:50 pm) • goodeggbob (Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:31 am)
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by ChrisHolmes »

It looks like the natural organisers of meets/drives up in your area are Drew and Simon between then. It’s perhaps a good idea to have several fixed routes “around” Snowdonia on a rotation basis and keep to the fixed plan. It could mean some meets/drives only have a couple of cars but stick with having a firm timetable and it will work.
That’s how our Cotswold Allsorts meet and the other long running meets have run for several years now.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
goodeggbob (Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:32 am)
AB Bucket seats & 5 point harnesses
Rebuilt 6 port
Pettit SC
Racing Beat alloy flywheel, oil lines & ARBs , REV 8 Full SS Exh
Stg1 Exedy Clutch
AEM Smart Coils & MSD leads
Remote oil filter
Tein MonoSports & EDFC
Fully polybushed
Racing Brake 4 Pot Calipers
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts & Rear Spoiler
Safety Devices Full cage
Lockwood SS Grills
Mishimoto Catch Tank
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

I completely agree with all the above comments. A fixed date, timings and route well in advance is the best way to move forward.
You will not please everyone all the time, but you should please most some of the time, and remember, the idea is yours, and if some don't like it then let them start their own post, a bit harsh but it's the only way to gain some consistency.
From experience gained from the Shropshire meet, it can be very annoying when the Might Bees and Should Bees don't turn up when you have gone to the trouble of booking a table particularly during covid , only to stare at empty seats when the time comes, with no communication to enable you to change numbers prior to arriving.
These users thanked the author goodeggbob for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 am) • GreySilver Beast (Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:23 pm)
DrewR3
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by DrewR3 »

Just a last bit of promotion of the drive out tomorrow? Any last minute stragglers want to come along. Wasnt there a new member from mid wales area who just bought a black R3?

Final reminder of meeting at Tesco Llandudno Junction LL31 9XY for those not local between 1100 and 1115, aiming to leave by 1115. I should be there by 1110 as have to wait for the Mrs to get back at 11.

After that we will be at the Country Cooks on the A5 at LL21 0PT for approx 1200 for any one else who wants to meet us there for about an hour to eat and drink, before leaving at 1300hrs to complete the route.
These users thanked the author DrewR3 for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:39 pm) • liam.k97 (Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:58 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Good luck with the weather guys and have a great day regardless.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Proactive (Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:21 pm) • liam.k97 (Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:58 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
liam.k97
Club Member
Club Member

Post by liam.k97 »

Im sorry Simon, I didn't mean to come off as though I was snapping at you! Just forget what I said there...

I'm also in complete aggrenace with these ideas. The regularity and a somewhat predictable itinerary, in terms of routes etc, is easier for people to plan and work around, building on what Rob is saying. Again, the way Rob has been handling the Shropshire meets and the way the Cotswalds meets have been done is totally the way forward for this meet too. Definelty worth plugging this venue as much as we can 😎

See you all tomorrow 🙃
ChrisHolmes (Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:27 am)
DrewR3
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by DrewR3 »

Be there in 10min guys. Just gone to pick mrs up but need to do a nappy change to for the lad now..... At least it wasnt halfway round.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Have a good one folks, I hope the weather is kind to you.
AB Bucket seats & 5 point harnesses
Rebuilt 6 port
Pettit SC
Racing Beat alloy flywheel, oil lines & ARBs , REV 8 Full SS Exh
Stg1 Exedy Clutch
AEM Smart Coils & MSD leads
Remote oil filter
Tein MonoSports & EDFC
Fully polybushed
Racing Brake 4 Pot Calipers
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts & Rear Spoiler
Safety Devices Full cage
Lockwood SS Grills
Mishimoto Catch Tank
GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member

Snowdonia Drive Out- *INFO UPDATE*

Post by GreySilver Beast »

DrewR3 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:04 pm
We used to have regional reps with area threads, im sure we did as im sure i used to be one, but they appear to have disappeared or it was an idea that didnt take off?
We have never had Regional Reps, however have advertised for possible members to join the Events Team for certain areas around the country, that aren't currently covered by the existing ET Members :thumleft: , but for that to suddenly fall onto death ears #-o , when the members in question that have been very vocal to suddenly realise they have to now do something :lol: and then I end up with zero uptake :!: :!:

Events Team
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
Proactive (Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:06 pm)
GSB-TDU (Nigel) - Committee - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin

RX-8OC Club Calendar & Events and Meetings

My two cars = " GSB III " 03/08/13 - Present --- " Blue Beast " 11/05/21 - Present ---- Chit Chat
Proactive
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Proactive »

What a Drive, excellent day driving some of the best roads In Wales, some not all, much much more to come from what I think will be a very popular event moving forward, ask Liam what he thinks of the roads he has not driven them before so his feedback will be an honest appraisal.
Thanks to everyone for a great day out👍😎
Attachments
20210821_151016.jpg
20210821_150921.jpg
20210821_150912.jpg
20210821_141618.jpg
20210821_141650.jpg
20210821_141710.jpg
20210821_141553.jpg
20210821_141538.jpg
These users thanked the author Proactive for the post (total 7):
GreySilver Beast (Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:03 pm) • liam.k97 (Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:23 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:47 pm) • DrewR3 (Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:12 pm) • Vj4sothername (Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:20 pm) • goodeggbob (Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:15 am) • YORKSHIRE777 (Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:09 am)
liam.k97
Club Member
Club Member

Post by liam.k97 »

Got back about half an hour ago!

Thanks everyone for an amazing day! Despite the weather, which was decisively Welsh, we didn't let it bring the day down!
Thanks Simon for uploading those! Looking forward to Drew's, when he gets the chance. I'll have a proper camera with me next time all being well :D
An excellent job done by Drew again for being the main tour guide/lead car, Simon the deputy guide and later Cafe guide. Kudos to Rob for squeezing a sneaky drive in to his busy schedule and to everyone for putting up with the complete tourist that was me, who had absolutely no idea where I was at any point during the day. Me having absolutely no experience of North Wales, namely Snowdonia, I can honestly say that the driving roads and scenery did not disappoint. A little holiday maker traffic about (inc the unholy contrivance that is the caravan), again, it must be said the two tour guides shone here, guiding us all away from the worst of the traffic.
My main experience of driving roads in Wales is largely around mid Wales, including the Brecon Beacons and Elan Valley (mountain road); Snowdonia, although a little busy today, was just this - on steroids.

In short, a 350 mile round trip and around 90 litres of fuel well spent :D Looking forward to future meets around here.

Thanks again peeps :lol: ;)
These users thanked the author liam.k97 for the post (total 5):
Proactive (Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:53 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:48 pm) • DrewR3 (Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:14 pm) • Vj4sothername (Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:21 pm) • goodeggbob (Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:16 am)
DrewR3
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by DrewR3 »

Great day everyone, Thanks to all who came to make the day a success. Simon was great during the Convoy, successfully guiding Liam and making great ise of space. The rear of the convoy is always the hardest position to maintain when pulling out etc to keep everyone together. Liam did a monster drive today and big haul to spend the day with us, big shoutout to his effort and full day of driving. Hopefully the bit between the commute was more enjoyable. Rob came all the way out just to say Hi and a quick lap of the Evo before shooting back to work.

All in all i think we can call this a success and Im looking forward to the 18th already. A little bit later than expected as ive just been having dinner with friends and he just told me the B road to blaenau with the long sweeping sections we used is a firm favourite of Top Gear when they are up here filming.

So here is a little sample of our journey for all, and a solid route we will surely be revisiting or using parts of on other runs. Courtesy of my on board photographer....
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-20-08.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-49.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-18-45.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-56.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-18-49.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-20-25.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-39.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-18-37.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-44.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-18-41.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-35.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-00.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-20-30.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-20-34.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-24.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-30.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-18-27.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-16.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-20.png
Screenshot_2021-08-21-23-19-08.png
These users thanked the author DrewR3 for the post (total 6):
GreySilver Beast (Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:37 pm) • New Duke (Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:46 am) • goodeggbob (Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:16 am) • Proactive (Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:38 am) • YORKSHIRE777 (Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:09 am) • ChrisHolmes (Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:14 pm)
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Re: Snowdonia Drive Out- *Photo Update + 18th sept*

Post by goodeggbob »

What a well organised fledgling meet. it was a great drive out ,although my wife and i could only manage part of it due to keeping pressure on the shed project.
Please put my name down for the next one in September, by then i may be in a position to complete the loop.
It was great meeting the Drew family and of course as always Liam and Simon.
I think that a good solid base was formed yesterday for future meets with some very reliable participants, exactly what is needed going forward.
I apologise for the lack of piccies, my device seemed to have developed a fault when switching from portrait to panoramic, it always lets me down, although the sat nav function did get me to the cafe, all the best with future meets,rob.
These users thanked the author goodeggbob for the post (total 3):
DrewR3 (Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:33 am) • Proactive (Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:39 am) • Vj4sothername (Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:37 am)
Proactive
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Snowdonia Drive Out- *Photo Update + 18th sept*

Post by Proactive »

😳🤔🙄🤣
I will have a look at the settings on that phone for you mate👍

Return to “Social Meets”