Place for discussions about the RX-8
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

R3 Oil Filter Alternatives?

Post by HarSc »

Does anyone have experience with a BluePrint S2 filter? Seems to tot up with the OEM number of N3R1-14-302 which is the S2 original filter, but all comparison/model tables list it as a filter for 03-12, which it's gotta be either one or the other hasn't it? :-k :lol:

Needing some more filters and was tempted to go another route - as my Mazda dealer seems to be charging even more for the normal stock filters #-o

Filter.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: R3 Oil Filter Alternatives?

Post by Lemon »

i've always used Blueprint ones myself (however revs sent me a K&N in my last order of service parts) and had no issues (this is on an S1 though)
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

Lemon wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:30 am
i've always used Blueprint ones myself (however revs sent me a K&N in my last order of service parts) and had no issues (this is on an S1 though)
I believe the K+N one is designed for the S1 though isnt it? I just buy the Mazda ones Harry. Try using a different dealer.
Club Chairman

RX-8 2010 R3, Crystal white, 26k miles, Full Mazda Service History

Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs

Previous RX-8 - 2006 '56' S1 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lemon »

DrewR3 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:34 am
Lemon wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:30 am
I believe the K+N one is designed for the S1 though isnt it? I just buy the Mazda ones Harry. Try using a different dealer.
yeah, they just sent me one mistakenly (i guess), i was more pointing out that i've had no issues with the Blueprint filters.
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
Leck3000
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Leck3000 »

I use the K&N HP1010 with the 1" hex on it. I find the location and step under the R3 filter a nightmare and so much easier being able to use a spanner on it.

If your interested I can sort them out as I deal with K&N direct.
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Yeah - my normal thought pattern has always been to just buy the proper Mazda ones, but they're wanting near £15 each after they've added VAT and all that, plus I've gotta drive across town for them. Just takes the cake a bit when I can grab these for a fiver posted...

As long as the bypass thingy is the same as the S2 rating, even if I were to change them twice as often just for the sake of it, it's still a win money-wise :lol:

Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

any filter will do the job as long its appropriate particle size filtration (has to do with oil type defined for the engine, where one cant use low sapc oil filter on mineral grade oil as particle size is just to big, but pretty much only oem filters are so fine for DPF cars, al the rest are not)

The thing Mazda changed was bypass pressure. that should only effect the operation when the filter is dirty and there is to much restriction on the filtering element creating to much differential pressure in the filter thus making the bypass valve open up.
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Leck3000 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 am
I use the K&N HP1010 with the 1" hex on it. I find the location and step under the R3 filter a nightmare and so much easier being able to use a spanner on it.

Hmm... Tbf I've never had an issue on the filter location or getting it off. I've got a little ratchet strap tool, strap goes round the filter and a 1/2 drive ratchet goes into a metal cylinder that the strap runs through a little slot in. Couple of turns on the ratchet and it's cracked it off to undo by hand 8)

Not sure what the cost is on those filters, but at this point I'm aiming for something cheap that just works :P :lol:

Partly just don't wanna go to Mazda anymore unless I can really help it. After they quoted me £31.50 ex VAT just for a 5L of coolant when I had it waaay cheaper not long ago, it's getting on my nerves #-o :lol:

Leck3000
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Leck3000 »

HarSc wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:54 am
Leck3000 wrote:

Hmm... Tbf I've never had an issue on the filter location or getting it off. I've got a little ratchet strap tool, strap goes round the filter and a 1/2 drive ratchet goes into a metal cylinder that the strap runs through a little slot in. Couple of turns on the ratchet and it's cracked it off to undo by hand 8)

Not sure what the cost is on those filters, but at this point I'm aiming for something cheap that just works :P :lol:

Partly just don't wanna go to Mazda anymore unless I can really help it. After they quoted me £31.50 ex VAT just for a 5L of coolant when I had it waaay cheaper not long ago, it's getting on my nerves #-o :lol:
Yeah I have a chain tool but that doesn't fit. Having weekly K&N deliveries and the usefulness of the hex it was an easy swap for me.

Your looking about £11 delivered btw
These users thanked the author Leck3000 for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:24 pm)
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

The three legged type tool works well on everything where access is from above and not a side.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:53 am
The thing Mazda changed was bypass pressure. that should only effect the operation when the filter is dirty and there is to much restriction on the filtering element creating to much differential pressure in the filter thus making the bypass valve open up.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=49279
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:43 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged

Post by Clive »

The R3 filter is indeed different and taller.
On this link we offer both Series 1 and R3 Blue Print filters

https://www.racingbeateurope.com/mazda- ... -917-p.asp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Blue Print used to be synonymous with cheap aftermarket replacement parts, sourced from various places with inconsistent quality.

However, since being brought into the Bilstein Group their quality has risen significantly and the first area to benefit was filters; both air and oil, plus cabin, fuel etc. Which I'd be more than happy to recommend. :D

For the 8 I still wouldn't trust their replacement clutches, as I've seen too many fail and, while they do (sometimes) honour their 3-year warranty, that only covers the parts not the labour. :roll:

Oh, and don't get me started on their "OEM-style" ignition coils :shock:
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Milos_Balunovic (Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:41 pm) • HarSc (Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:03 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

warpc0il wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:37 pm
Milos_Balunovic wrote:
So we agree on the important part. As long as you follow the community recommend oil change interval the filter choice wont matter :)
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lemon »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:44 pm
warpc0il wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:37 pm
Milos_Balunovic wrote:
So we agree on the important part. As long as you follow the community recommend oil change interval the filter choice wont matter :)
sweet, next oil change i'm banging out the coffee filters.
These users thanked the author Lemon for the post:
Cscameron (Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:25 pm)
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Post by Delanor »

I found a lot of parts suppliers only list one oil filter for both cars, Eurocarparts being one of them - a Mazda dealer fitted the R3 filter on my 40th.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Funny thing is, you might run without a filter as long as you dont have excessive engine wear occurring and your not lugging the engine (high load/low rpm).
The oil has more than Sufficient capacity (with different aditives) to either keep the dirt suspended if they are light particles, or separated at the bottom of the oil pan that filter is not able to filter out anyway and won't harm the engine

Filters are here to catch the od big particle and start separating when the suspended particles grow in size, or oil aditives (detergents in particular) are used up and cannot take any more.

@Delanor, r3 is the "better" variant of the two, if for nothing else for bigger surface area/less restriction
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

At £15 for the Mazda filter IMO using a cheaper version is false economy, particularly as the oil coolers mean there’s always a significant proportion of old oil left in. Even at twice the price of an aftermarket one the difference is little more than a week’s road tax. Personally I wouldn’t use an S1 filter but can’t see any great issues over their smaller filter area and lower relief pressure.

I bought a big batch a while back so that I didn’t have to muck around buying one every time (6 monthly changes until lockdown, annual for the last 2 years, possibly going back to 6 monthly). Whilst my main motivation was to ensure a supply I also value not needing to plan ahead.

I have no problem getting the filters on and off. I use an oil filter socket, cheaply available on eBay; my drive wrench and torque wrenches fit on easily enough and I leave it on between changes with no issues.
These users thanked the author WildMan10 for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:57 pm)
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Post by Delanor »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 pm

@Delanor, r3 is the "better" variant of the two, if for nothing else for bigger surface area/less restriction
I actually have built a collection of both now.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

I ise these (mine is not an s2/r3 but still regularly seas 8 bar oil pressure at folter location)

IMHO, much more important is the non return valve in them, as if that is leaking, a significant volume of oil is drained and make the engine run dry for a moment

KNECHT OC196 / MAHLE OC196 (same unit depending what you get in the box of either of em)
PURFLUX LS225 or Fram PH5317
They are all from same group and feature the corugated filter...
rx8hunter
Club Discount Manager
Club Discount Manager
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by rx8hunter »

HarSc wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:54 am
Leck3000 wrote:

You should try Northampton Motors Mazda if you want laugh, they quoted me over £60 Inc VAT for coolant :shock:
Club Discount Manager

RX-8 PZ: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=85661
RX-8 40th: (Charlotte's)
Daily: BMW 330D
RX-8 Evolve (Banger Rally project) gone ☹️: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=86460
Old daily (Alfa MiTo - gone too ☹️): viewtopic.php?f=36&t=85722
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

rx8hunter wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 pm
You should try Northampton Motors Mazda if you want laugh, they quoted me over £60 Inc VAT for coolant :shock:
Did you speak directly to a person in the Business Prevention Department?
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Milos_Balunovic (Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:13 am) • rx8hunter (Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:30 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
thatturborx8
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by thatturborx8 »

Hi Guys and gals, just a bump to this old post, another correct alternative for the R3 filter would be the MANN W610/2 which i have used many times.
It matches the Mazda part numbers for the R3 on the MANN system but not with the motor factors for some reason but if you ask for this specific MANN number you will be able to get it from any motor factors that supply MANN.
I know because i had this issue when i first bought the R3,even made a video on it here.
These users thanked the author thatturborx8 for the post:
HarSc (Wed May 10, 2023 10:14 pm)
Cheesecake🤣
RX8 project loading....
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Good to always have alternatives Silviu, and seems like those MANN ones have been well trialled with how you track and properly drive your car too ;) =D>

Also realise I didn't update this thread - whoops, I ended up buying one of these blueprint R3 filters, and works fine as you'd expect 8) specs of it line up with the tokyo roku ones, and it looks bang on the same as the OEM filter to my eye :!: ended up installing it on R3 FOE in the end here.

PXL_20230325_135656280.jpg
PXL_20230325_135719670.jpg
PXL_20230325_152505282.jpg
These users thanked the author HarSc for the post:
thatturborx8 (Wed May 10, 2023 10:25 pm)