R3 Gearbox

Place for discussions about the RX-8
alisdairm
Club Member
Club Member

R3 Gearbox

Post by alisdairm »

The Synchros on my box are starting to get a bit crunchy on certain gear changes.

I have an early R3 (2008) so I am aware of the issue with these boxes.

I know you can fit an S1 6 speeder with minor mods (electrical gear position sensor, I believe) but would far rather stay with an R3 box.

There is one local to me from a 2009 car, but the seller has no more info that that, other than its definitely an R3 box.

I'm concerned it will have the same weak synchros I have, and I'll only find this out after I've paid a garage to swap out the trannies.

So, is there any identifying stamps/markings on the R3 gearbox to show if its an early or late model box?

From the 'Changing gearbox oil' thread, I can see there is noticeable differences between the S1 5 speed, S1 6 speed, and R3
osman
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: R3 Gearbox

Post by osman »

If the car has the larger side mirrors is the easiest way to tell i believe usually after 2010
R3 gearbox gearing is much better than standard s1 box also, i managed to knock off 2 seconds 100-200kph gps by just changing to r3
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Lemon »

osman wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:55 pm
If the car has the larger side mirrors is the easiest way to tell i believe usually after 2010
R3 gearbox gearing is much better than standard s1 box also, i managed to knock off 2 seconds 100-200kph gps by just changing to r3
remember that R3s also have a higher final drive as well.
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
osman
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: Kuro

Post by osman »

Lemon wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:38 pm
osman wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:55 pm
remember that R3s also have a higher final drive as well.
Yup i had the r3 diff before the gearbox was installed, the s1 gearbox ratios make it fall flat once you change into 4th even with the 4.77 gears
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

might be worth trying the latest redline lightweight gear oil the 70/ 75W
I've switched to it on my S1 and its much better
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-197431-red ... 0w75w.aspx
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

alisdairm wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:49 pm
The Synchros on my box are starting to get a bit crunchy on certain gear changes.
Have you tried adjusting the 'box, as per the instructions?

As an OC member you have full access to the Technical FAQ, which includes this document, replicated here for convenience.
Mazda P66M Transmission 3-4 ADJUSTMENT MANUAL.pdf
You should also contact any Mazda franchised dealer and have them lookup the Electronic Service Record for your car.
This will identify if the synchros have already been replaced or, if the car build falls within the VIN range to qualify for a free replacement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 4):
Milos_Balunovic (Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:28 pm) • alisdairm (Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:12 am) • casey (Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:59 pm) • rotatopotato (Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:19 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
tvrgriffith
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sunlight Silver
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tvrgriffith »

I had the same problem with my R3 (2009). Synchro crunch going into 6th. Changed oil for redline but no improvement. 5th started to crunch (unless you went in slowly). Put in "Xado revitalizant EX120" with fresh oil. The difference after 50 miles is amazing. No synchro crunch in 5th or 6th even on quick changed. Gearbox feels as it should. I was sceptical but thought it was worth a go before taking the box out to be repaired. Glad I did!
It's a small tube to squirt in through the filler hole. Take out a little oil first , add it, then top up, or add it to fresh oil before you put it in. This is easier than trying to put it in whilst oil is dripping out.
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman
Colour: Crystal White

Post by DrewR3 »

tvrgriffith wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:18 pm
I had the same problem with my R3 (2009). Synchro crunch going into 6th. Changed oil for redline but no improvement. 5th started to crunch (unless you went in slowly). Put in "Xado revitalizant EX120" with fresh oil. The difference after 50 miles is amazing. No synchro crunch in 5th or 6th even on quick changed. Gearbox feels as it should. I was sceptical but thought it was worth a go before taking the box out to be repaired. Glad I did!
It's a small tube to squirt in through the filler hole. Take out a little oil first , add it, then top up, or add it to fresh oil before you put it in. This is easier than trying to put it in whilst oil is dripping out.
Good Evening TvrGrittiths, good to see you have created an account and taken an interest in some topics with a product you have had experience with. Perhaps you could introduce yourself through our welcome thread and update your location info etc to see if there is any members or meets nearby.

May I ask how you came accross this product? It is not one I have heard of before?
Club Chairman

RX-8 2010 R3, Crystal white, 26k miles, Full Mazda Service History

Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs

Previous RX-8 - 2006 '56' S1 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
tvrgriffith
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by tvrgriffith »

Hello
I came across it through internet forums. Subaru in particular as they seem to suffer with synchro problems as well. There are a lot of positive reviews. I purchased it through eBay. Wasn't expecting much but I have been amazed how quickly it solved the synchro problems. It's covered 300 miles now and feels like new.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I would be very wary with any product that reduced the friction below that expected with the specified oil.

The S1 6-speed can be destroyed by just using GL-4/5 or GL-5, rather than the GL-4, as the synchros rely on that predicted friction.

The 5-speed is much less fussy.

The S2/R3 seems to be less sensitive to oil specification but the synchros are infamous for being fragile - very early R3s would have 'box internals replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G398FN using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

Warpc0il, isn't the GL-5 compatible oil a problem becouse of aditive that straight on just eats bronze sinchros even when stationary? Ie the damage to the engine comes from chemical reaction.

I doubt the damage is coused by mechanical actions as consequnce from friction reducing, or pressure capacity increasing aditives.
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

tvrgriffith wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:30 pm
Hello
I came across it through internet forums. Subaru in particular as they seem to suffer with synchro problems as well. There are a lot of positive reviews. I purchased it through eBay. Wasn't expecting much but I have been amazed how quickly it solved the synchro problems. It's covered 300 miles now and feels like new.
Intresting, please keep us updated on how you progress. Do you have/had a subaru aswell?

I did have a look on Amazon after your post. Did i read that something about the treatment being completed after 1k miles? Does that mean you will be dropping the oil to replace or does it stay in? I only scan read it, I have a 2010 with the revised syncros, fingers crossed I do not encounter the issue.

Also, Thank you for updating your info. You are actually up by my me which makes a nice change as not many in North Wales. Also you are ideally placed for the Shropshire monthly meet. I passed right by you on the way to Oswestry on Friday.
These users thanked the author DrewR3 for the post:
goodeggbob (Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:05 pm)
Club Chairman

Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs

Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

I would advise against any of these magical claim aditives. Yes, they do work on some metals, they do reduce friction (as proven by single arm jack), but with others they can reduce the life of them. Also a lot (most) increase corrosion (ie decrease anticorrosive properties of gearbox oil).. have seen few on steel gears that rusted sitting within the oil.

There is no MAGICal aditive that solves all the issues. for some, yes it can be argued that they are expensive and thus didnt made it to cheap oil. but why would you buy cheap oil to add aditive to it. higher quality oil besides being made of higher quality base oil will have better additives.
MoS2 is one of these additives which is expensive to add to the oil...........
tvrgriffith
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by tvrgriffith »

No,not got a Subaru.
I wasn't really expecting much after 1k miles, but the difference after 50 was amazing. I felt it improving after 20. They state it doesn't interfere with the oil spec so should stay gl4.
Warpcoil- rather than decreasing the friction,it seems to give the synchros the clutch they have lost/need.
I asked Mazda but they say my car doesn't qualify for the gearbox recall so this was a last ditch attempt before repair.
I will keep you posted if anything untoward happens .
DrewR3- where and when is the Shropshire meeting?
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Im happy it helped you but keep an eye for how it behaves.

I don't believe anything they write, when you need to give money based on "trust me bro", I always become suspicious. 1st of all, they don't have TDS (technical data sheet) and more importantly SDS (safety data sheet). if this is not published the product was not tested by any certified laboratory, and they didn't want to spent any money on safety specs...
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:Warpc0il, isn't the GL-5 compatible oil a problem becouse of aditive that straight on just eats bronze sinchros even when stationary? Ie the damage to the engine comes from chemical reaction.

I doubt the damage is coused by mechanical actions as consequnce from friction reducing, or pressure capacity increasing aditives.
There may be an issue with bronze corrosion but specifically the problem with the 6-speed is surface friction.

Following multiple failures after members "upgraded" from Fuch GL-4 to GL-4/5 product, we engaged with Fuch Oils, sending them a sample failed box.

They commissioned an independent investigation by a transmission engineering company.

Malcolm Casey (one of the victims) and myself were then invited to spend the day with Fuch, including a visit to the investigating company.
They had the complete gearbox internals stripped down across the boardroom table and had performed detailed analysis.

The conclusion was clear. The damage was caused by the oil "being too slippery" and not allowing the synchro cones to correctly engage.

Subsequently Fuch withdrew they GL-4/5 product and recommenced production of their GL-4 alongside a new GL-5.

There was a full and detailed visit report shared with the forum at the time but unfortunately it was removed by automated platform housekeeping back when we were short on server resources.

Sent from my SM-G398FN using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:12 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

tvrgriffith wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:53 am

DrewR3- where and when is the Shropshire meeting?
I believe it is Friday the 14th of Oct, having just miss this months. Please see this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=79486

For shropshire meet, it moves each month rotating through 4 venues. last one was Oswestry, think it is Whitchurch this time? They are not always the clearest thread as we keep just the one running and update the first page with details and the title. Any of the meets or events on the club, the first post is usually updated and the best place to start.
Club Chairman

Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

warpc0il wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:32 am
The conclusion was clear. The damage was caused by the oil "being too slippery" and not allowing the synchro cones to correctly engage.
I believe you :) sad it got lost.

my comment re bronze wear is base on Renault gearboxes suffering from (i thought) same problem.

that oil (elf nfj) is most likely very good for mazdas as they share very similar material and behavior if other oil is used (heavy shifting, worn synchros etc).
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

warpc0il wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:32 am
Following multiple failures after members "upgraded" from Fuch GL-4 to GL-4/5 product, we engaged with Fuch Oils, sending them a sample failed box.

They commissioned an independent investigation by a transmission engineering company.

There was a full and detailed visit report shared with the forum at the time but unfortunately it was removed by automated platform housekeeping back when we were short on server resources.
Actually Dave, the story of my gearbox saga did survive! It can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=46270

The findings from our meeting with Fuchs are summarised on page 4.
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 2):
Milos_Balunovic (Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:51 pm) • warpc0il (Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:54 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Thanks Malcolm.

Had it been hiding there all along or did it get recovered from archive?

Either way, my summary above still applies, though the full report goes into much more detail.
Milos_Balunovic (Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:53 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

The topic may have temporarily "disappeared" during a period when it was policy for trader forums (Opie in this case) to be hidden from view when the trader ceased their relationship with the club.

I can't recall when, but sometime in the last 2 years or so the committee reviewed that policy and decided there was useful material in those forums, so "un-hid" them and made them "read only". This example proves it was a good idea to "un-hide" those forums :thumleft:
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 2):
warpc0il (Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:08 pm) • Milos_Balunovic (Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:53 am)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

A lesson learnt there.

Very rarely is any information of no value.

Even "bad information" (fake news) is useful to hold as long as the correction/debunk is immediately following, as that might be the search string that someone is using.
Milos_Balunovic (Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:53 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
thatturborx8
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by thatturborx8 »

Just a quick feedback on gearbox oils for the R3:
I have tried many oils in gearboxes over the years including but not limited to REDLINE,AMSoil,Castrol and so on.
The best feedback i got by far was from
Motul Motylgear 75w-90 Technosynthese.
Nice stiff changes on cold with no crunching or other noises,lovely slick changes on hot with absolutely no issues.
I would highly recommend this gearbox oil to anybody with an R3 and i am sure you will notice a positive change from the first drive with this oil in the gearbox🤷‍♂️
Cheesecake🤣
RX8 project loading....
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Fyi, for anyone reading this and not wanting to rebuilding their existing - I have an R3 'box with 50k miles on it which'll be available in the new year.

It's a 2009, so has potential for cronch - but is fine currently.
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg