Place for discussions about the RX-8
Rich947
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Copper Red

Suspension query

Post by Rich947 »

Looking for a sanity check here - I was driving along and heard a metallic "twang" followed by what sounded like a piece of metal bouncing along the left side of the car. Paranoia set in and I was convinced that the steering felt off somehow (mainly that the steering wheel didn't recentre itself as positively as it had previously), having parked the car the front left wheel appeared to be cambered out at the top which convinced me there was some kind of suspension issue.

However, having gone back to it, the tyre seems to have normal camber. I've taken the wheel off and can't see any obvious issues with the suspension but I'd appreciate a second opinion before I take it for a test drive again to see if it 'feels' normal. Photos below - is there anything I'm missing?
Suspension pictures.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Suspension query

Post by PaulAV »

It could either be a coil spring snapped or a drop link failed from your description, worth checking your wheel nuts are tight just to make sure
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
Rich947 (Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:03 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
JeradRx8
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by JeradRx8 »

I couldn't open the photo on my phone, but it sounds like a snapped coil spring to me.
These users thanked the author JeradRx8 for the post:
Rich947 (Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:03 pm)
2006 Galaxy Grey PZ (#328)
RRP MK3 coils & leads.

Daily : 2014 Midnight Black MINI R55 Clubman Cooper SD (JCW Trim) Engine Comprehensively Reconditioned by me in 2023.

Gone : 2006 Velocity Red 192
Rebuilt and street ported by Rotary Revs in March 2016.
BHR coils MSD leads, JPerformance Cat-back & Dyno'd at 175hp at the wheels. (Sold)
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

agreed
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
Rich947 (Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:02 pm)
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Snapped spring is a good call.

Less likely, but could also be one of the ARB links has an issue.

Can't open the pics, my PC says files are corrupted when unzipped.
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Rich947
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rich947 »

Thanks all, having had another look this part of the drop link doesn’t seem right - also seems different to the other side which looks like the bottom of the drop link lines up with the bolt running through. Before I order a new set or start removing things, does this seem like it could be the culprit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

Doesn’t look too untoward, give it a good shake and check it’s still firmly attached to be sure.
These users thanked the author Nickp47 for the post:
Rich947 (Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:52 am)
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Looking at that drop link it doesn't appear to have come apart, however it does look like a heads original(the 4 pips of plastic where the cup attaches are common on Mazda drop links) that's not too say it hasn't either stiffened/seized or worn either could cause knocks or rattles. I brought mine from eBay but made sure I didn't go for cheap items(Mahle I think was the manufacturers) had a euro car part drop link fail in less than a year
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

If you've got that corner jacked-up and the other side still on the ground then the extension and torque on the arb causes curious geometry and distortion.

However, if both side are still on the ground in that photo then the drop link isn't right and needs further investigation.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Rich947 (Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:52 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Rich947
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rich947 »

warpc0il wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:42 pm
If you've got that corner jacked-up and the other side still on the ground then the extension and torque or the arb causes curious geometry and distortion.

However, if both side are still on the ground in that photo then the drop link isn't right and needs further investigation.
This side was jacked up - I'll see if I can get a look today with both sides on the ground. I'm starting to wonder if I was just imagining things after the bump/clang noise as I was then actively looking for a fault.
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

Hi
I haven’t read the whole thread so don’t know everything you’ve done
I would suggest putting the car on level ground , garage floor or a garage ramp and measuring from the floor to the bottom of the arches in a line through the centre of the wheel on all four wheels to see if there’s a difference.
It wouldn’t hurt to replace your drop links as it’s not expensive
It could be you ran over something in the road which bounced down the car. If you think the car drives the same as before get someone with a good feel to drive it for a second opinion as people adapt to imperfections very quickly
Regards
Pete
These users thanked the author Conan for the post:
Rich947 (Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:03 pm)
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

If you’re still in Maidenhead Rich, you’re welcome to pop over to Cookham sometime and put the car up on my lift for a good look.
These users thanked the author Nickp47 for the post:
Rich947 (Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:02 pm)
Rich947
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rich947 »

Nickp47 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:59 pm
If you’re still in Maidenhead Rich, you’re welcome to pop over to Cookham sometime and put the car up on my lift for a good look.
That would be ideal, thank you!