Place for discussions about the RX-8
Hopkins
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Stormy Blue

Yatour Bluetooth Compatibility

Post by Hopkins »

I've order one of these bluetooth devices. However, I forgot to check my firmware version first :oops:.
RX-8 radio firmware version must be v9.55 or later version (except for v9.81 or v10.01).
I have version 10.01. I have read reports of people getting it working with versions before 9.55. I wonder what form the incompatibility might take. Does anyone have an idea whether it will work at all? Is it possible to flash the unit with a more recent firmware?
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: Yatour Bluetooth Compatibility

Post by Lemon »

"Bigpete to the white courtesy phone"
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Yes and No.

Yes we've tried and No it doesn't work.

The incompatible firmware doesn't recognise an Aux input and there's no way to reflash, short of swapping chips.

Replacing with a compatible unit is far simpler.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by hachiroku »

I'm in the same boat in that I have Firmware 10.1 :roll:
I've told myself that for the hassle and cost of buying & fitting a replacement OEM headunit & a Yatour/Grom Bluetooth adapter I might as well spend a bit more and find a Metra kit and android headunit :?
So far I've done neither.... :lol:

If you can find a cheap working OEM headunit locally, and it has compatible firmware, then that's probably your cheapest option.
40th Anniversary 068/400 - RRP coils - Petit Racing Catback -Tein Street coilovers - 181rwhp... My ears are bleeding!!!
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

Gents

if you want bluetooth and handsfree then one of the many Fm transmitter types will work
I have had a few over the years and whilst the early ones were poor I'd say for £20 a modern unit will serve you well

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/28237/ ... ansmitters
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
hachiroku (Fri May 20, 2022 12:21 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Indeed.

I fitted my Yatour BT 12 years ago, when it was the best option on the market, but the world has moved on.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
hachiroku (Fri May 20, 2022 12:22 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

350matt wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:05 pm
if you want bluetooth and handsfree then one of the many Fm transmitter types will work
I have had a few over the years and whilst the early ones were poor I'd say for £20 a modern unit will serve you well

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/28237/ ... ansmitters
You know what, I think I'll try one of those FM Transmitters, worth a shot., It's not that often I miss listening to music, long journeys mainly, a cheap and simple solution should be fine for me
If only I hadn't replaced the 12v socket with a double USB socket :roll: :lol: I'll find a USB one to try though.
40th Anniversary 068/400 - RRP coils - Petit Racing Catback -Tein Street coilovers - 181rwhp... My ears are bleeding!!!
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

Thanks to 350matt for suggesting an FM transmitter.
It's been years since I last used one, and quite frankly I wasn't very impressed at the time.
However yesterday I ordered this Avantree CK310 FM Transmitter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07TMY ... asin_title, and by the magic of Amazon Prime it arrived today.
It's small, and rechargeable via USB, which is handy as I changed the 12v cig lighter socket for a dual USB socket a while ago.
I tested it out on a shopping trip today and have to say it's perfectly acceptable, easy to set up, sound quality is good, and it's small enough to just put in the centre console or wherever (it comes with sticky Velcro pads so you can fit it wherever you like).
I was expecting to pay £500+ for a Metra kit & Android headunit, which granted gives you way more functionality & options, but my main reason was to be able to listen to music streamed from my phone, and at £25 this little transmitter does that perfectly well :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author hachiroku for the post:
warpc0il (Sat May 21, 2022 5:17 pm)
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

you should also have hands free with this gizmo too
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
hachiroku (Sun May 22, 2022 11:29 am)
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

350matt wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:06 pm
you should also have hands free with this gizmo too

You are correct, how very modern, brings the RX8 a little more up to date :thumleft:
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

Ordered one yesterday following your recommendation, my Jabra has been excellent so just thought I'd give it a go.
Hopkins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Hopkins »

Thanks for all the replies. I have just ordered an Avantree too. I wish I'd started this thread before ordering the Yatour. Now I have £88 worth of useless (for me) device sitting on my desk!
warpc0il wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:13 pm
Yes we've tried and No it doesn't work.
Thank you. Otherwise I would have wasted my time trying, just in case.

That said:
warpc0il wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:23 pm
I fitted my Yatour BT 12 years ago, when it was the best option on the market, but the world has moved on.
I'm not entirely convinced: the Yatour includes a microphone which should make call quality better, the steering wheel track skip buttons will work plus the Aux-in should result in better audio quality. I suppose the question is: would you replace your Yatour now?

In any case, if anyone wants to make me an offer for my unopened Yatour device then I'm all ears :).
These users thanked the author Hopkins for the post:
Ninja_Freak (Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:17 am)
MX-3fan
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by MX-3fan »

I use an Electronicx module. Similar to the yatour. Personally I went the other way. I tried several bluetooth transmitters and they all had their own faults, from picking up other peoples transmitters, other peoples phone calls (seriously freaked me out!) to having to crank the volume way up for it to be listenable. With a sub and amp that is a no go as the bass begins to cut at around volume 17-18. My personal experience though. I had to buy a used head unit with a lower firmware but it was worth it imo.
These users thanked the author MX-3fan for the post:
hachiroku (Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:11 pm)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

Just an update on the Avantree, works very well the only downside is because its not hardwired in it needs charging every other day of use but I reckon its worth the money.
Hopkins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Hopkins »

Proactive wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:10 pm
Just an update on the Avantree, works very well the only downside is because its not hardwired in it needs charging every other day of use but I reckon its worth the money.
Yes, not bad at all fro £25. Up and running in minutes.
MX-3fan wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:10 pm
I use an Electronicx module. Similar to the yatour. Personally I went the other way. I tried several bluetooth transmitters and they all had their own faults, from picking up other peoples transmitters, other peoples phone calls (seriously freaked me out!) to having to crank the volume way up for it to be listenable. With a sub and amp that is a no go as the bass begins to cut at around volume 17-18. My personal experience though. I had to buy a used head unit with a lower firmware but it was worth it imo.
I'm not convinced that the clarity of the music is perfect either. I installed the Avantree in time for a three hour journey up the M1, and I felt that the tyre noise masked a little more of the sound then usual, and increasing the volume sounded uncomfortably piercing. So, if no-one wants to buy my Yatour, I may consider a head unit replacement later too. Are there any downsides to the older firmware? Presumably it was introduced to fix things?!
MX-3fan
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by MX-3fan »

I can't say I have noticed any difference with the lower firmware to be honest. It all seems to work as it should. Having the steering controls is a huge bonus for me as well. You are limited to only 6 'albums' of 99 tracks and it's a bit of a pain to set up as the card/USB needs to be formatted right and the album names need to be exact, but once it's done you can just dump 4-5 or more albums per folder as long as the tracks are below 99. Each track also has to be below 50mb iirc so no long single track albums, probably not a problem for most people.
Ninja_Freak
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Ninja_Freak »

Hopkins wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:24 am

In any case, if anyone wants to make me an offer for my unopened Yatour device then I'm all ears :).
PM sent.
56 Plate PZ in Galaxy Grey!!
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

Proactive wrote:
I'd previously replaced the 12v cigarette lighter socket with a double USB socket, hence me choosing the Avantree adapter, I leave it plugged in and it lives in the ashtray, out of sight :thumleft:
I don't think the battery life is as good as claimed tbh, however not an issue for me now it's plugged into USB.
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 79398 »

hachiroku wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:59 am
Proactive wrote:
I'd previously replaced the 12v cigarette lighter socket with a double USB socket, hence me choosing the Avantree adapter, I leave it plugged in and it lives in the ashtray, out of sight :thumleft:
I don't think the battery life is as good as claimed tbh, however not an issue for me now it's plugged into USB.
That space for me is already taken up with the Oil and Water Temp Gauge, I've fitted mine with velcro to the sunglasses compartment so will Probably have to live with charging it for now👍
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

I fitted an extra 12v socket to mine
IMG_20220614_112155[1].jpg
the transmitter is the best I've had to date , the trick is to get the very latest version on Bluetooth I've found as this improves the sound quality

you can now get 5.1 and this device was recently voted the best on some comparison site even comes with a detachable mike

I've also done this to my ashtray

so I have oil pressure, oil temp and USB ports
IMG_20220614_112220[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post (total 2):
warpc0il (Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:03 pm) • hachiroku (Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:02 pm)