Silicone hoses what have people got?

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Silicone hoses what have people got?

Post by Mazzarx8 »

So I noticed I had a coolant leak and getting under the car today after removing the ridiculous under tray 🙈 I found it’s coming from a pipe, they don’t look great, ballooning and rusted clips so I thought I may as well go for silicone and some nice stainless clamps 💪 so what make have you got and how long you had them?
Also the oil cooler pipes looking a bit on the rough side so will be replacing them to, if I’m going to drop the oil may as well do the sump as well, as that along with everything else is rusty 🤣...
Anyone swapped out for the RRP aluminium sump?
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Silicone hoses what have people got?

Post by ChrisHolmes »

I have a complete set of OE oil pipes, no brackets and top and bottom silicone radiator hoses gathering dust. PM me for details.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:47 pm
I have a complete set of OE oil pipes, no brackets and top and bottom silicone radiator hoses gathering dust. PM me for details.
Thanks buddy but I’m going with the braided oil lines and I’m going to replace as many of the old hoses as I can, looking to buy a complete kit, there’s a few about but want to know if any are decent
These users thanked the author Mazzarx8 for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:13 pm)
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I've filled the RRP sump, it looks fantastic, it's a little tricky to install with the engine in position as you have to get the baffle in position, but it's nowhere near impossible
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:36 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

PaulAV wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:10 pm
I've filled the RRP sump, it looks fantastic, it's a little tricky to install with the engine in position as you have to get the baffle in position, but it's nowhere near impossible
Don’t look to bad at all tbh, I’ve deffinitly done worse 🤣 tbh it’s only surface rust on the sump so I may have a go at it and just paint it for now, as I’m trying to prioritise funds for what I need to do urgently, it’s not a cheap item and money could go elsewhere, the connections on the oil lines are BAD and last thing I want is a break and it to dump its oil. The coolant hoses are ballooned and looking old, again, a split would be a catastrophic event! Then there’s just the general rust all over, I’m going to buy some spray rust converter and try my best to get what I can save it getting worse, at the moment it’s not at repair point but it’s close, I will be getting it into a garage after the summer for a proper under seal but I just need it to hold up until then!
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Club has a discount with krown rust proofing, top job and about 30 owners have had it done so far
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post (total 2):
Mazzarx8 (Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:00 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:15 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

And they are based near Brum
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

PaulAV wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:55 pm
And they are based near Brum
Yes, and well worth both the trip and the cost.
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

PaulAV wrote:
Club has a discount with krown rust proofing, top job and about 30 owners have had it done so far
I’ve seen krown advertised..the only issue I have with these rust proof places are most just spray indiscriminately and make a mess
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

Mazzarx8 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:03 pm
PaulAV wrote:
I’ve seen krown advertised..the only issue I have with these rust proof places are most just spray indiscriminately and make a mess
He strips the car down and injects it into all the voids doors cills everywhere then all the underneath is done and you take it back 6 months later for a top up underneath for no extra cost.
Admittedly the car does "weep" for a few days but a more thougher job you would be hard to find.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

As only a guest on the forum you don't get to see the other 70% of content that's reserved for members only.
This includes detailed reviews of the Krown service - all of which have been very positive - and the code for members discount.

Your next investment in the car should really be here :sign:
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 4):
Mazzarx8 (Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:21 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:15 pm) • hachiroku (Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:39 pm) • HarSc (Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:18 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
julian.rx8
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 13B 6-port
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by julian.rx8 »

I'm running a set of Autobahn88 silicone hoses that were installed by the PO, I would never spend the money on something like that as I don't care how the car looks underneath the bonnet. But I have admit they are a dream to work on. The kit also includes some vacuum lines I guess as the line that's running from the intake to the break booster is silicone too.
But afaik Autobahn88 is a russian company, so I don't know if the kit is hard to come by at the moment
Fritchard
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Lightning Yellow
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fritchard »

When I bought the car it had the usual expansion tank sensor failure. So whilst replacing that I'm fitting Stoney Racing silicone hoses - no diagrams or guides, which left me with one unknown until the "spare/donor" car was consulted! :-D
Koyo rad is ready to fit, mishimoto fans are still on order...appararently they've moved warehouse.
Evans waterless when everything is pressure tested.
Can't decide whether to to replace water pump whilst everything is out of the way...looking at the pulley sets and waiting for the RRP COFS to come back into stock, too.