replaced battery and now lights do not activate when locking the door using the fob

Place for discussions about the RX-8
ROTOR
Former Member
Former Member

replaced battery and now lights do not activate when locking the door using the fob

Post by ROTOR »

Hi,

I got my local garage to replace the metering oil pump(MOP) after a fault put the car in limp mode.

They got the work done, but not before flooding the engine.

The mop replacement procedure involves removing the battery.

The car seems to be working fine with its replacement mop; fuel seems to disappear a bit faster than usual in my opinion, but will see.

The car locks using the fob, but the exterior lights no longer indicate as previously. Is it possible that this change indicates a problem ? if so what are the possible causes and solutions? any help much appreciated.

I also noted that the clock will not reset and that the map lights do not come on.I can't be certain that these events are associated with the lack of lights flashing to confirm that the car is locked, or the work done recently.

Cheers!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: replaced battery and now lights do not activate when locking the door using the fob

Post by warpc0il »

Something strange is going on with the electrics, which could be down to a missing earth.

The lights don't flash when you lock the car if a door, boot or bonnet isn't fully closed - or the system thinks that's the case

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Re: replaced battery and now lights do not activate when locking the door using the fob

Post by hachiroku »

Try disconnecting the battery again, reconnect it, and do the ECU reset procedure.
Might just be a glitch, the ECU reset should rule that out though.

As Warpcoil said, the lights wont flash if the system "thinks" a door/boot/bonnet is still open, so might be worth checking those switches. I had an issue with the bonnet switch, I'd check there first.
40th Anniversary 068/400 - RRP coils - Petit Racing Catback -Tein Street coilovers - 181rwhp... My ears are bleeding!!!
ROTOR
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ROTOR »

Thanks for the advice hachiroku and warpc0il

I read thru the Mazda RX8 manual and noted that there is a sensor by the bonnet lock. I did n't remove the switch, but sprayed some WD-40 over the lock in the hope this might clean the catch mechanism. Went out this morning to reset the ECU, but the lights flashed on activating the locks when i used the fob. :shock: :shock:

I dont know whether the WD-40 helped, or whether the car has an intermittant fault.

I have decided to replace the bulbs in the map reading lights as they look like they may have blown.
I have the bulb references in the manual, but is there a more up to date bulb that could be fitted in place of the originals?

Thanks again. Rotor
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

You can fit leds in place of the original bulbs, however...

- there's a lot of variation in the quality of leds available
- some are larger than the original bulbs, which cause issues with the enclosure
- (nearly) all leds are polarity sensitive, so only work one way around

See here https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... =6&t=78851
and others that come up on a Search https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/s ... lacing+led
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ