Place for discussions about the RX-8
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

S1 wheel respray - opinions wanted

Post by New Duke »

I'm going to get my track wheels resprayed soon. I really don't like how bright they are compared to my black body paint. Pic below. The contrast is jarring. I hate it so much that it stopped me being track day photos.

I wonder if black on black might be too much. The PZ grey might look nice. But the only reference for those I've found is Rover Stone Grey, which is much brighter than the PZ wheels were.

Any suggestions? Ones with a colour code are even better and earn you a gold star!
barf o clock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:47 am) • brad_wil (Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 am)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: S1 wheel respray - opinions wanted

Post by warpc0il »

Anthracite or gunmetal?
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:22 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Check with the guys that you're planning to go to for the job, e.g. https://justwheelrepair.co.uk/standard-painted
as some colours can be half the price of others that look much the same, all depending on whether it's one of their "standard colours" or a "custom colour".
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Magsrx8
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Magsrx8 »

I was thinking the same thing about the wheels on my velocity red S1, as I've got a mate who can refurb and respray wheels as a hobby of his, so was thinking something anthracitey/gunmetally myself
Velocity Red S1 231 PS with silly low mileage and great compression...only flooded once...never again
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeriousSam »

Gunmetal is a favourite of mine, especially if the rim design lends itself to being diamond turned. Gunmetal grey with a polished lip, hard to beat that IMO
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
Dom-PZ
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Dom-PZ »

I put a dirty bronze colour on my 3 series touring the last time I changed the colour of a wheel... which may have been 12-13 years ago now!
IMAGE_093_1.jpg
It would probably work well on a black car also?

No colour code so no gold stars for me, it was an off the shelf colour at Lepson's at the time, but appears to be custom now. Turns out I might not have been that much help :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Shadow Chrome is glorious, as evidenced by the Nemesis special edition (99% certain it was the nemesis?)

Can't find an RX8 pic, shockingly, however the ND MX5 came with shadow chrome from the factory:

Looks great against black IMO
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Jester*
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by Jester* »

Go bold or go home.

Mazda 3 MPS Aero - Cosmic Blue
Mazda RX8 R3 - Aurora Blue
Mazda RX7 FD3s Type R Barthurst R
Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver
Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey »

'Rota bronze' on an Anniversary wheel. Tones down the brightness nicely but not sure how it would look on a std alloy though....
Original bright silver wheels
vs
Rota bronze Anni.
These users thanked the author Juey for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:23 pm)
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it, but I can't understand it for you.
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

Thank you guys. Really appreciate the suggestions (and photos!). There are some ideas here that I really like. I'll try to find some paint codes, I'm sure that'll narrow down the options.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

I had a set of alloys powder coated in Black and "Flash Chrome" by Lap Tab in Birmingham the silver is like chrome but doesn`t come across very well in the photo`s.

Del.
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:24 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SeriousSam »

If you go to one of the bigger wheel refurb companies near you (MyAlloys are my local) they usually tend to have a display wall filled with wheels in an array of the finishes they offer. Well worth taking a look, and they're usually happy to let you take one outside to sit it next to your car for comparison with the paintwork. That's worth doing, because your tastes may not match ours, and you might find that a polished gold or lime green tickles your fancy. Wouldn't do it for me, but each to their own.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
wreeve
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by wreeve »

I went with 2 cups of silver and 1 cup of black for a powder coat finish. Takes the edge off the silver wheels with a black car. I believe the Kuro had slightly black alloys for this reason (which I tried to match).
2021-07-04 17.24.57.jpg
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

I'm off to City Wheels tomorrow to get these wheels painted. I was also planning to take a 5th wheel. One from my R3 that the wife managed to scuff the one time she drove the car. Only City Wheels no longer stock the colour that they painted that set of wheels with in 2018. :angry:

The other three wheels in that set are still pristine. Which I thought was good going (and why I think I've been a saint about the scuffed one). But I don't think I can justify getting the whole set repainted. So I'll try to get that one colour matched locally and just get the S1 wheels done tomorrow.

Thanks for the colour suggestions. I've got a couple shortlisted and I'll also see what they have in the showroom.
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member

Post by New Duke »

Cheapest quote I can get locally is £100 for the single R3 wheel. For that price looks like I may as well get that whole set redone a new colour at City Wheels as well!
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:59 pm)