Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Starting issues

Post by Tamhay »

Hi all i bought an rx8 about 6 months ago been sitting in my lockup since i got it i bought a brand new battery out of ecp in nov put it in car started first time and few times after. Not started it in a couple of weeks so went to start it today and it wouldnt start the display in the centre of the dash goes dark when attempting to start it tried to hook up my car to jump start it but still nothing. Any ideas?
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Re: Starting issus

Post by nightfire10 »

Check battery's terminals or recharge battery especially if it's just going click

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Chances are the battery is in need of charging, they are not fully charged when new, sat in a car they will discharge by themselves, then starting a car will take a considerable amount of charge out of the battery and will require around 20-30 minutes of the engine running(not just at idle) to put the charge back in that has been used to start the car. People think a new battery will solve all issues related to low supply, but until it's been fully charged it won't necessarily solve anything
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
chriskirkham (Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:03 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
wreeve
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by wreeve »

Interesting. I've left my poor RX8 on the drive for 4 weeks now! Are these cars good at battery drain; I know 3 months is about the max for my BMWs! I will try and get it hooked up to the trickle charger tonight as I need it tomorrow!
SeriousSam
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SeriousSam »

I've managed several 3-week stints in the airport long stay car park, but if I'm ever worried when I come to start it, first time I'll turn the key with my foot flat on the gas to see how fast it turns over without actually injecting any fuel and potentially flooding it. If it's not going fast enough, I'll either pull out my dinky glovebox jump pack, or if I'm at the airport I'll call the helpline and get the boys to bring out the big booster pack - they've always got one, you wouldn't believe how many people leave their headlights on when going on holiday.

But having killed one (bloody expensive) start-stop battery for the Jag over lockdown, I invested in a pair of trickle chargers. The RX-8 now lives on one, and the Jag gets an overnight session if it's not been used for a few days. Well worth the money spent IMO.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round
wreeve
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by wreeve »

I've got a little trickle charger I will hook up tonight. Don't like to use it on the drive too much. What we need is a Apple mag-safe type connector! I've driven off a few times with inspection lights still hanging under the car and connected so don't trust myself to remember to disconnect wires! LOL!