Place for discussions about the RX-8
Magsrx8
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

To premix or not to premix, that is the question

Post by Magsrx8 »

I've done lots of reading around the use of premix and wanted to ask the community on here what to do with quandary.

My 2006 231 S1 had only 10,589 miles on the clock when I picked her up. It's had two actual owners, one for a year and then it's long term owner who barely used it and had it garaged. Premix has not been used so far looking at all the paperwork I have and after speaking to the only garage who mot'd it from 2009 to 2017.

General consensus seems to be to use a premix but I'm not sure whether this is necessary on such a low mileage engine which has been well looked after. Is the use of premix a preventative measure or a maintenance measure?

If you had a S1 with only 11K on the clock now, would you introduce a premix into the equation going forward?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks.
Velocity Red S1 231 PS with silly low mileage and great compression...only flooded once...never again
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: To premix or not to premix, that is the question

Post by rotatopotato »

Absolutely premix it if you want it to last, the S1 housings do not get enough oil coverage in the centre (fixed in the S2s with the inclusion of the centre oil injectors). Also consider a COFS/SOHN to feed it clean two stroke, at that mileage if its got good compression then premixing will will help it last a loooong time (even better with a COFS/SOHN as well).

Given its age and low mileage its probably on older revision coils so if they've not be replaced with Mazda rev C at some point I'd look at doing that for peace of mind (or fit RRP coils).
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post (total 6):
chriskirkham (Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:43 am) • warpc0il (Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:44 am) • New Duke (Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:57 am) • Magsrx8 (Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:56 am) • v-rex (Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:45 am) • HarSc (Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:43 am)
Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

You should absolutely be premixing with a good quality 2T oil :D
All of the rotors, none of the compression
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

It's never to early to start premixing, though it can be too late...
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
rotatopotato (Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:22 pm) • Milos_Balunovic (Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:04 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

It's always a good idea to get a mini map that increases the oil injection rate, the downside to pre mixing is it can give a false sense of security, on deceleration no fuel is injected into the chambers so no pre mix is introduced, I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying be aware it's not the miracle cure to engine wear. On the subject of sohn adapter this is definitely a good idea, but a few builders are starting to question 2 stroke oil as the best to use in the sohn adapter over clean engine oil due to film strength
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

another vote for pre-mix unless you're adding loads you don't really notice any downside
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

If you drive an S2 or a S1 rebuilt with s2 housings and using all injection ports than sohn + map to increase the amount injected.

If not premix as side injectors lack in mid of apex on s1 (was never a problem on previous engines where there was one in midle)

Regarding fuel cut. When there is fuel cut there is no fuel to wash off the oil and what is there stays there much better than without ful cut as fuel has burned and only oil remains** in higher concentration.
** using high flash point oils ofc....

I premix 0.5% plus have increased the map for OMP with sohn.
Steve.82
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Steve.82 »

I want to premix, but the noise around carbon buildup issues is stopping me….
Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

350matt wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:40 pm
another vote for pre-mix unless you're adding loads you don't really notice any downside
Define loads, I’m still doing 10ml per L :lol:
These users thanked the author Lucky 8 Racing for the post:
HarSc (Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:22 pm)
All of the rotors, none of the compression
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Velocity_Dan93 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:21 pm
350matt wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:40 pm
Define loads, I’m still doing 10ml per L :lol:

*pours over half a bottle of premix into tank when filling up*

"Wait, where's my money gone?"

;) :lol: :lol: jk ha! Your engine will love you forever! :twisted: - I normally run about 150ml to a tank :p
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

20ml per 10 litres
Too much will kill the cat, took advice from Aston at Essex Rotary,

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Sounds about right, 120ml per tank. I aim for at least that per tank, but sometimes oversquirt and end up nearer 250ml for the tank. Engine doesn't seem to mind and no cat to bother (in the 192 at least, but that's coming for the R3 too).
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Steve.82 wrote:I want to premix, but the noise around carbon buildup issues is stopping me….
Carbon build-up is from driving too gently and/or idling the engine without going anywhere.

Premix with 2T can help soften and remove carbon, along with driving right.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 4):
rotatopotato (Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:51 pm) • HarSc (Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:53 pm) • Milos_Balunovic (Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:45 pm) • YORKSHIRE777 (Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:21 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

I dont premix the R3, used to run it in my PZ. Improved engine design and mines had an oil change every 1500 miles so is always injecting clean(ish) oil. I will be investing in an RRP COFS though
Club Chairman

RX-8 2010 R3, Crystal white, 26k miles, Full Mazda Service History

Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs

Previous RX-8 - 2006 '56' S1 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

If you mean the regular COFS adaptor then that only works on S1s as the S2s have a more sophisticated OMP setup. I've been talking to Carl about it and have a potential solution lined up using a pump and version of the RRP tanks that allow for the return feeds from the S2 OMP. Seems like it should be straightforward enough - I have the pump and pressure relief valve, just waiting on some fittings before I start a bench test and dial in the correct pressure before installing into the car.
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post (total 2):
DrewR3 (Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:49 am) • Milos_Balunovic (Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:46 pm)
DrewR3
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by DrewR3 »

rotatopotato wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:53 am
If you mean the regular COFS adaptor then that only works on S1s as the S2s have a more sophisticated OMP setup. I've been talking to Carl about it and have a potential solution lined up using a pump and version of the RRP tanks that allow for the return feeds from the S2 OMP. Seems like it should be straightforward enough - I have the pump and pressure relief valve, just waiting on some fittings before I start a bench test and dial in the correct pressure before installing into the car.
Very intresting. I had not noticed it was S1 only. That puts a damper on the running it for the R3 unless a work around is found. Looks like the clean engine oil shall remain for a while. On that note Castrol Magnatec has a good discount at Halfrauds at the moment if anyone is interested, just got a couple of 4l for 26 quid i think each instead of 35.
Club Chairman

RX-8 2010 R3, Crystal white, 26k miles, Full Mazda Service History

Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs

Previous RX-8 - 2006 '56' S1 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

I’ll be prefixing mine when finished.
Using a decent 2T oil that burns well.
Not the usual stuff you’ll Chuck in your Mower or Chain saw.

But also a COFS so it’s injecting clean oil thru the oil system.
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Why are people now calling it COFS since its idea and a design (and named after it) Richard SOHN ..... for aviation engines ...
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Patent/copyright reasons
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Any decent "racing" 2T should be more than than enough - JASO FD is the latest standard which has higher detergency over FC. Interestingly I've been running Millers KR2T as recommended by Revs, however that is a JASO FC and generally about twice the price of other racing 2Ts, though it is designed for high-revving karting applications.

However, one thing I need to account for is that the oil pump I'm using is designed for pumping transmission/diff oil at 70C or above - they state the oil must have a viscosity of 350cSt (centistrokes) or lower. KR2T is SAE 40 which will be fine in most summer conditions but a bit too thick in winter, esp here in Scotland. Every other racing 2T I've looked at the data sheets for is SAE 20 which looks to be fine down to approx 3C before it gets close to 350cSt (I had an interesting couple of days looking up SAE temp/viscosity charts and reading data sheets! :lol: ).

Millers also sell their ZFS 2T which is more in line with other racing 2Ts - SAE 20, JASO FD - so this is what I'm going to use in the R3s COFS system, it's nearly the price of Exol Racing 2T (which is around £24 per 5L on ebay), so that's a bonus, and the data sheet shows it to be the "thinnest" of the few that I looked at (it wasn't an exhaustive comparison of every racing 2T out there) with a kinematic viscosity @ 40C of 33.7cSt (which puts it right at the bottom of the SAE 20 viscosity range).
Milos_Balunovic wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:49 pm
Why are people now calling it COFS since its idea and a design (and named after it) Richard SOHN ..... for aviation engines ...
The SOHN is one design, RRPs COFS is a slightly different design, and what I'm putting together (with a ton of input from Carl - thanks again if you're reading this!) for the R3 bears no resemblance to the SOHN. COFS = Clean Oil Feed System/Solution, which is the problem being solved here :thumright:
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:35 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=74962
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Milos_Balunovic (Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:36 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:35 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

rotatopotato wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:58 pm
Any decent "racing" 2T should be more than than enough - JASO FD is the latest standard which has higher detergency over FC. Interestingly I've been running Millers KR2T as recommended by Revs, however that is a JASO FC and generally about twice the price of other racing 2Ts, though it is designed for high-revving karting applications.

However, one thing I need to account for is that the oil pump I'm using is designed for pumping transmission/diff oil at 70C or above - they state the oil must have a viscosity of 350cSt (centistrokes) or lower. KR2T is SAE 40 which will be fine in most summer conditions but a bit too thick in winter, esp here in Scotland. Every other racing 2T I've looked at the data sheets for is SAE 20 which looks to be fine down to approx 3C before it gets close to 350cSt (I had an interesting couple of days looking up SAE temp/viscosity charts and reading data sheets! :lol: ).

Millers also sell their ZFS 2T which is more in line with other racing 2Ts - SAE 20, JASO FD - so this is what I'm going to use in the R3s COFS system, it's nearly the price of Exol Racing 2T (which is around £24 per 5L on ebay), so that's a bonus, and the data sheet shows it to be the "thinnest" of the few that I looked at (it wasn't an exhaustive comparison of every racing 2T out there) with a kinematic viscosity @ 40C of 33.7cSt (which puts it right at the bottom of the SAE 20 viscosity range).
Milos_Balunovic wrote:
The SOHN is one design, RRPs COFS is a slightly different design, and what I'm putting together (with a ton of input from Carl - thanks again if you're reading this!) for the R3 bears no resemblance to the SOHN. COFS = Clean Oil Feed System/Solution, which is the problem being solved here :thumright:
It might be a problem in first 5 minutes. By the time engine gets hot its not a problem as all the pipes and OMP get heated to that temp..

My question on Sohn vs COFS naming is miss understood.
And COFS is now something that is associated with RRP (exclusively).. ie its just as "copyright strike" as it is calling it a sohn.. actually more so that it (Sohn) became a sinomin to that type of device...
Im just wondering that since before RRP introduced their iteration of same item (and idea) everybody has called it Sohn. Now that RRP is making it also most have switched to their naming... Imho credit should be kept where it is due :) and that is Sohn.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

First world problems eh? :roll:
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post (total 2):
Milos_Balunovic (Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:38 pm) • GlowingBulb (Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:35 pm)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:44 pm
It might be a problem in first 5 minutes. By the time engine gets hot its not a problem as all the pipes and OMP get heated to that temp..
The issue is that the 2t source in the tank doesnt get that heat, and neither will the pump I'm using (and that first 5min still needs a solution or I risk wearing out the pump prematurely). I'm thinking for extreme cold in winter a silicon heat mat attached to each side of the tank and hooked up the acc circuit for pre-heating will be a decent solution. But it may not be required, I'm just thinking ahead for belt & braces solutions.

I say COFS because it's shorter than saying clean oil feed, which is all I mean - whether it's a SOHN, and RRP COFS, or a custom solution, they're all clean oil feeds so it's just a catch-all term for me 🤷‍♂️
Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

Proactive wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:04 pm
20ml per 10 litres
Too much will kill the cat, took advice from Aston at Essex Rotary, Image

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk