Pro drive, 40th anniversary, evolve or R3?

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Nutty_Chappie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pro drive, 40th anniversary, evolve or R3?

Post by Nutty_Chappie »

I’ve got a couple of r3 projects here that I’ll be dusting off to sell early next year… depending how much of a project you want!!
Nutty Chappie's emporium is now open! :) For parts, compression testing and servicing
Based in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire Pete - 07866-685127

www.nuttysrx8.co.uk
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

Right guys, I’ve rang the guy with the anniversary. I can’t help but keep looking at it!
He has an issue, he hasn’t started it for quite a while and when he tried to start it for a potential buyer it wouldn’t start...
Good news is it put off that buyer 🤣 so I may still have a shot at it... he’s getting into a garage just after new year and after a good positive conversation he’s agreed to get a compression test while it’s there! He tells me he has put a fully charged battery on and it wouldn’t go, he’s thinking it could be the starter..he claims I t’s the original starter, so it could be a possibility it’s just that.. He says no rust and good condition all round! So as long as he gets it sorted and the compression test comes back ok I will definitely be going to have a look!
May also take a peak at the pz but with the rebuild from apex rotary and their rep, I’m seriously put off. As stated R3s are very high priced compared to an S1 and I’d be tempted to find one with the best shell possible run it till it blows and get a rebuild and Bridgeport done with the extra money I’d have spent on an R3, also as said, I could mod that guilt free 🤷🏻‍♂️ If I get the anniversary it will pretty much remain as it is apart from the necessary upgrades!
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

350matt wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:41 pm
Whilst the R3 is nicer than an S1 I don't subscribe to the view its worth double in price as typically an R3 will start at 6K and you can easily find two good S1's for that money

Personally I'd start looking at cars in your area and budget and drive a few to see what takes your fancy , as a well cared for / rebuilt S1 with decent shocks trumps an R3 thats on its last legs in my book
and if you really want the recaro's they can also be found in corsa VXR's
Corsa vxrs 👍That’s interesting buddy thanks!
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

xamtex wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:25 pm
i know of a rust free pz that may be for sale...not too far from you...but its not cheap.
What’s the price buddy? Might be tempted 😃👍
Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

Mazzarx8 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:11 pm
xamtex wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:25 pm
i know of a rust free pz that may be for sale...not too far from you...but its not cheap.
What’s the price buddy? Might be tempted 😃👍
That’s a really tidy pz he’s got there, seen it a few times
These users thanked the author Lucky 8 Racing for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:42 pm)
All of the rotors, none of the compression
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

I`ll just leave this here - speaks for itself. :race: :thumleft:

Del.
DSCN1174.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post (total 4):
HarSc (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:15 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:21 pm) • Mazzarx8 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:34 pm) • nightfire10 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:46 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3

Post by HarSc »

An R3 plate on a 40th?! :lol: identity crisis! ;) :giggle:
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Its 3 fold really as we all know with an RX-8 you have to Revum to fully take advantage of its true performance and it occurred to me that if I ever decided to sell the plate some wealthy R3 owner (they are the ones with all the money :king: ) might be prepared to shell out a large number of readies for it - and it was cheap! :yeah: :lol:

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post (total 3):
GreySilver Beast (Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:25 pm) • Mazzarx8 (Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:02 am) • v-rex (Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:49 am)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by hachiroku »

Ideally I'd go for a decent R3, although as someone mentioned the price hike over the S1 does seem excessive, you did however get a few worthwhile improvements over the S1 though.
If you want one as an investment.... I'm not sure any RX8 could be called that.... Money pit most certainly :o
But I'd go for a 40th Anniversary as it has some functional upgrades over stock as well as the same design wheels as the R3, and was fairly limited in numbers, second option would be a PZ.
Generally though things are worth more in the future in stock form, and low mileage, which kind of takes the fun out of owning a car like the RX8 for me at least.
These users thanked the author hachiroku for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:57 am)
40th Anniversary 068/400 - RRP coils - Petit Racing Catback -Tein Street coilovers - 181rwhp... My ears are bleeding!!!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

40th Anniversary would always be my choice.

A Crystal White one almost looks yellow, under sodium streetlights.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Delanor (Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:04 pm) • Mazzarx8 (Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:57 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

With the general overtone of this thread seeming to talk of investment, a few other issues would also need to be considered.
Dry storage when not in use becomes more important , as does choosing the weather conditions when venturing out. Rust prevention becomes a must together with agreed valuation insurance.
With electric cars becoming the new normal, it won't be long before the die hards will pay good money for a last blast in a noisy v6 for example, my Capri 2.8 is already becoming more valuable, rx7's are headed that way, and in my opinion , well kept rx8's will go the same way, gone are the days of picking up a reasonable runner for peanuts.
These users thanked the author goodeggbob for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:57 am)
Rob :thumright:
Adrian Flux
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
Has thanked: 0

Post by Adrian Flux »

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance that offers the option of a fixed agreed value then please feel free to give us a try if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

goodeggbob wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:39 am
With the general overtone of this thread seeming to talk of investment, a few other issues would also need to be considered.
Dry storage when not in use becomes more important , as does choosing the weather conditions when venturing out. Rust prevention becomes a must together with agreed valuation insurance.
With electric cars becoming the new normal, it won't be long before the die hards will pay good money for a last blast in a noisy v6 for example, my Capri 2.8 is already becoming more valuable, rx7's are headed that way, and in my opinion , well kept rx8's will go the same way, gone are the days of picking up a reasonable runner for peanuts.
I plan to keep a daily for work so this will be a weekend car, I’ve looked into garages for storage over winter and I’m hoping to find one local enough, will be getting ppf done as soon as I can after I get the car and have looked into under seal... although most places do a quick and nasty job that just covers everything underneath with no discrimination, I’d want it done properly so it remains a clean look.
Last time I looked at getting an RX8 they where peanuts, now lucky to get one for under 2k and even them are higher milers with not much description, so I’m guessing they will only go up from here and this is why I want something special. People argue the 40th isn’t special as it’s not much different, I already beg to differ and I don’t even own one yet 🤣 I won’t be touching the exterior but the engine will be a different story and I’ve read the s1 is easier to boost and will be more engines/parts available, I’m hoping I don’t have to worry about that for a while but I was a scout so I’m always prepared 🤣
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

Krown coatings have good revues on here and are based in Tipton, not far from you in Birmingham somewhere. They offer discounts to members too.
These users thanked the author goodeggbob for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:02 am)
Rob :thumright:
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by hachiroku »

"Easier to boost"? Perhaps, but you should really thoroughly look into that avenue before you go that route.
40th Anniversary 068/400 - RRP coils - Petit Racing Catback -Tein Street coilovers - 181rwhp... My ears are bleeding!!!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Depends what you mean by "boost"

Definition 1: Take Without Owner's Consent (TWOC) both the S1 and S2 have the same vehicle security, which is Thatcham Approved, unless it's a JDM import in which case it doesn't and it isn't.

Definition 2: Install forced induction, either Turbo Charge or Supercharge - that's a whole can of worms

See viewforum.php?f=135
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ