Pro drive, 40th anniversary, evolve or R3?

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

Hi people!
I’m looking at my first RX8 and my first ever rotary...
I’ve done my research and I know what I’m getting into,
Being a fairly confident, self taught mechanic, I have no issues in putting in some work!
I will be looking for one on a long term basis, to nourish, cherish and make my own!
There are a few on the market that have caught my eye!
What I wish to know is... what do we think will be the sought after model in the future?
The 40th anniversary, prodrive, evolve.... or the last but not least plain old R3?
There is a nice anniversary model up for a bit more than I want to pay, but it looks good and if it’s an investment I’m prepared to splash out!
There’s a pro drive edition, not far from me, well in budget and claiming a rebuild 3k ago, although be it by APEX ROTARY who I have been told to avoid... however, I’d risk it for a biscuit if Its h got a good shell, maybe could knock the price down and bite the bullet on the inevitable anyway rebuild when it came to it! If it’s worth it in rarity points???
The evolve I must admit... I’m not keen on the interior... but would it be an investment? Couple of maybes I’d have a look at on the market, again, I’m not keen and tbh would have to be a spanking example for me to buy!
The R3... obviously the newest of the bunch therefore SHOULD be in better condition?? The issues fixed from the series 1s and have that rare appeal.... but are they worth the money? I know a lot of people prefer the series 1 especially the looks (I agree) but are they going to be the ones that are worth putting the money into at the end of the day?
I’m also thinking (distant future after rebuild) of adding boost...
I’ve read it’s a lot harder on the R3s for various reasons??
Or.... do I just [edited] them all off, buy one cheap-ish with the best shell ect, rag it till it dies (hopefully about a year later)and put the money into a rebuild that eventually I’m going to have to do anyway???
Help me!!!
I swear I’m losing my mind with all this going round in my head 🤣🤣🤣
Yes, I know, wait until I own one... then I will have something to stress about! Right?!
🤣
Thanks for reading 👍
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Pro drive, 40th anniversary, evolve or R3?

Post by kopite72 »

Firstly regarding boosting an RX8 unless you've got seriously deep pockets I wouldnt even entertain the thought.Horrendously expensive and it wont last,it just won't.There's stories littered all around the web with boosted renesis engines going t!ts up,some after very little mileage,it's just not a good engine to boost.The RX7 engine on the other hand....

Secondly ( and I'm biased here having owned one ) regarding which model,for me the R3 hands down all day long.Better looking car ( IMO ) beautiful Recaro seats,lovely alloys and the fact that the engine has extra oil injectors seems to have helped massively regarding bearing failure.I've yet to hear of one failing because a bearing shat itself,you hear of the odd one failing because of side seal issues but not very often,big improvement in reliability over the S1.

Are you looking at one to daily drive or as as weekender? I'm sure you are aware but running costs on these are horrendous especially if it's a daily driver ( ask me how i know :lol: ) I shudder to think what I spent on juice alone over 7 years as a daily but hey ho.The bang for buck on these cars is disgustingly bad but hey if it's what you want then go for it :D
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:46 pm)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

I think even finding one with a good shell for cheap will be difficult. I think if you're wanting one long term - personally i'd say get the best example you can either with already good compression or a recent (reputable) rebuild. Depends what you want really. If you want to tinker and fix it up, go for it but you can often end up spending more in the long run than buying a nicer, better condition lower mileage one with a stronger engine in the first place. :-k

As for which version to go for? R3, all day long. I will say that I am biased also (don't ask - I have too many lol), but honestly - looks, skirts, rims, interior (oh yes the recaros are stunning to look at and to sit in, especially on spirited drives/trackdays - second to none), gauge cluster design (i love the more clean look of it) and the oil dipstick being muuuch easier to reach too boot! :lol:

Parts wise if something were to get damaged or break, it's a little more on the R3 in most cases, but still worth it imo.
These users thanked the author HarSc for the post:
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

kopite72 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:35 pm
Firstly regarding boosting an RX8 unless you've got seriously deep pockets I wouldnt even entertain the thought.
:whathesaid:...

:whathesaid: and

:whathesaid: ten times over :lol: :lol:

Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

Thanks for your input 👍
I was leaning towards an R3 but then someone pointed a few features regarding the front “wide mouth” grill and I can’t I see it 🙈 recaros I’d love but I’m sure I can source some or similar, alloys are amazing, again though it’s easily sorted... I’ve read and been told by a good source, reliability wise there is not much in it, I’d also be leaning towards pre mix anyway to make sure it’s all lubed up 😆
This will be a weekend car, I have a sh*t lined up so I’d probably daily it for a short while but couple of months max.
Boosting would be a loooong way off and I’d be doing a lot more research before I actually went down that road 👍
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

I was having coilovers installed on my MX5 recently and i spotted my old R3 there aswell ( i know right?!! ) so i sat in to it,good God the Recaro's are immense.It's only when you don't have something anymore that you miss it.The recaro's compared to the MX5 is seriously night and day
These users thanked the author kopite72 for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:48 pm)

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

R3 for the win then so far 🤣
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Mazzarx8 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:45 pm
Thanks for your input 👍
I was leaning towards an R3 but then someone pointed a few features regarding the front “wide mouth” grill and I can’t I see it 🙈 recaros I’d love but I’m sure I can source some or similar, alloys are amazing, again though it’s easily sorted... I’ve read and been told by a good source, reliability wise there is not much in it, I’d also be leaning towards pre mix anyway to make sure it’s all lubed up 😆
This will be a weekend car, I have a sh*t lined up so I’d probably daily it for a short while but couple of months max.
Boosting would be a loooong way off and I’d be doing a lot more research before I actually went down that road 👍
There's not much in it reliability wise? I don't know who told you that but that's not the case at all.S1's were sh!tting bearings at a pretty high rate,you don't see it with the R3

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

The anniversary is so nice though man and with only 400 made, the rarer model...
I will have a tough choice to make in the next few weeks, maybe if a decent R3 appears in price I might be swayed! Hoping the anniversary doesn’t go though as I’m seriously leaning that way!
Thanks guys 👍
These users thanked the author Mazzarx8 for the post:
HarSc (Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:58 pm)
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

kopite72 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:51 pm
Mazzarx8 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:45 pm
Thanks for your input 👍
There's not much in it reliability wise? I don't know who told you that but that's not the case at all.S1's were sh!tting bearings at a pretty high rate,you don't see it with the R3
Sorry I take it back, it’s as you said.. I miss read what I was told... been talking to josh Scott who used to be at rotary revs...
what he said was about the ignition and cooling issues... my main plan is to iron out all those problems, upgrade ignition system and cooling ect, that’s where he said they are similar 👍
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Josh knows his stuff, brilliant engine builder, met him a few times at RR, really impressive ( and funny) guy

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

kopite72 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:03 pm
Josh knows his stuff, brilliant engine builder, met him a few times at RR, really impressive ( and funny) guy
Yea well I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube and his video with car throttle doing that rebuild is awesome and kinda got me wanting a rotary... well more than I already did!
The fact he took time out to chat to me other day was great!
And this club seems massively active compared to some so thanks to you to 👍
Hopefully be around a lot more, I have a plan and intend to stick to it!
Il have a look out for a decent R3 not many about though and the good ones are well out my budget 🙈
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

The R3, PZ and 40th models are/will be the more sought after due to being more than just cosmetic differences over the standard model (which the Evolve is, nice as it is).

I don’t particularly subscribe to the ‘inevitable rebuild’ way of thinking , if your budget will allow, buy one with a proven healthy engine and look after it. You may never encounter low compression if it’s being used as a low mileage weekend fun car.

Personally, I think the R3 is worth the extra money and in my experience they are a bit less likely to suffer low compression as the miles climb. A 40th runs a close second for me though due to the unique colours, wheels etc and the Bilstein suspension. ultimately any RX-8 is just a lovely thing to drive if it’s in good health and not been ruined with cheap/crap parts (except maybe an auto 😁)
These users thanked the author Nickp47 for the post (total 3):
GreySilver Beast (Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:22 pm) • HarSc (Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:23 pm) • Mazzarx8 (Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:45 pm)
Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

I think all 3 of those will be keepers at some point,IMO
Pz>40th>R3 in terms of future values S1 will just become harder and harder to find in a good form, it gets more difficult every year.
Evolves and other specials are worth consideration, kuro for example is a great shout, then there are rare colours such as Nordic green or yellow which would defiantly command a higher price going forward
These users thanked the author Lucky 8 Racing for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:45 pm)
All of the rotors, none of the compression
Mazzarx8
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mazzarx8 »

Velocity_Dan93 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:40 pm
Pz>40th>R3 in terms of future values S1 will just become harder and harder to find in a good form, it gets more difficult every year.
Evolves and other specials are worth consideration, kuro for example is a great shout, then there are rare colours such as Nordic green or yellow which would defiantly command a higher price going forward
There is one in Nordic green and I like the colour ect but I’m not overly enthusiastic about its health given the description on the ad! A lot of vague adverts about and I’m just avoiding them lol
Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

Mazzarx8 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:58 pm
Velocity_Dan93 wrote:
There is one in Nordic green and I like the colour ect but I’m not overly enthusiastic about its health given the description on the ad! A lot of vague adverts about and I’m just avoiding them lol
Also a lot of the time it’s where the best deals are to be had. Worth remembering most things on these cars can be very easily replaced. Personally I’d rather diy than buy one that’s suppose to be right, much less disappointing
HarSc (Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:15 pm)
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Velocity_Dan93 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:11 pm
Mazzarx8 wrote:
Velocity_Dan93 wrote:
Also a lot of the time it’s where the best deals are to be had. Worth remembering most things on these cars can be very easily replaced. Personally I’d rather diy than buy one that’s suppose to be right, much less disappointing
You just want more bananas ha! :lol:

Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

HarSc wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:16 pm
Velocity_Dan93 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:11 pm
Mazzarx8 wrote:

You just want more bananas ha! :lol:
2 bananas is enough…….I would have 3 if not for Craig
HarSc (Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:48 pm)
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

Whilst the R3 is nicer than an S1 I don't subscribe to the view its worth double in price as typically an R3 will start at 6K and you can easily find two good S1's for that money

Personally I'd start looking at cars in your area and budget and drive a few to see what takes your fancy , as a well cared for / rebuilt S1 with decent shocks trumps an R3 thats on its last legs in my book
and if you really want the recaro's they can also be found in corsa VXR's
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
Mazzarx8 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:05 pm)
Cscameron
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Custom

Post by Cscameron »

:whathesaid:

Definitely don’t rule out an S1 - so many biased R3 owners here that I thought I’d jump in with a bit of S1 love 8)

If you want to mod a car and really make it your own down the line I’d personally stay away from the special editions as it will likely have a negative effect on the value, whereas with a standard car it’s already worth peanuts so have at it :twisted:
These users thanked the author Cscameron for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:24 pm) • Mazzarx8 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:08 pm)
You can call me Madam Secretary 8)
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Cscameron wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:22 pm
:whathesaid:

Definitely don’t rule out an S1 - so many biased R3 owners here that I thought I’d jump in with a bit of S1 love 8)

If you want to mod a car and really make it your own down the line I’d personally stay away from the special editions as it will likely have a negative effect on the value, whereas with a standard car it’s already worth peanuts so have at it :twisted:
Ok, for modding and "tailoring it to your style" shall we say? *cough* lime green *cough* ;) ;) yeah, the S1 is best for aftermarket kits etc :P

(R3 still better though hehehehe)
Mazzarx8 (Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:09 pm)

GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

I've owned both and can actually say of the two I owned, overall preferred the S1 =D> =D> =D> =D>

The S2 to me was just a car :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Jester*
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by Jester* »

The only S1 I considered when hunting for an 8 was the PZ, as that looked so right. But the R3 in blue won it for me.

As the years roll by less and less 8's are on the road. So god knows where future values will go. Buy best condition you can, or just buy with your heart. There is no problem too terminal that cannot be solved, unless it is rust. RIP.
These users thanked the author Jester* for the post:
Mazda 3 MPS Aero - Cosmic Blue
Mazda RX8 R3 - Aurora Blue
Mazda RX7 FD3s Type R Barthurst R
Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

I'll put in my vote for a PZ, since I've had one for 15 years now and still loving it. I've seen nice 40ths and R3's, and I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those models.

Bear in mind that it can get harder and harder to get the parts for the special models ( really wish I'd bought two sets of PZ suspension at the group buy now ... ) so bear that in mind as well.

If I was doing it all again I do wonder if I wouldn't get a standard S1 which I could mod to my heart's content without worrying about keeping the OEM-ness of a special edition. Especially if I wanted to make it more trackable. I think a special edition can be both a blessing and a curse at times.

I think rust free shell is the most important thing and especially as you are mechanically minded ( I'm not ) then you'll be able to sort alot yourself easily.
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
xamtex
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by xamtex »

i know of a rust free pz that may be for sale...not too far from you...but its not cheap.
These users thanked the author xamtex for the post:
Lucky 8 Racing (Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:33 pm)