Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aluminium Silver
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Engine type

Post by Richyrichless »

I have a 2005 rx8. How can I tell which engine it has? Also the handbook says it's a 1300, but the DVLA tax her as a 2600...how does that work? Incidentally, she's the most enjoyable car I've ever driven.
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Re: Engine type

Post by nightfire10 »

5speed =192
1300 per rotor x2

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

If she has six gears and revs to 9k + is a six port
If it has 5 gears and less rev range it's a four port.

Mazda tried to be economic with the truth and get cars into lower tax brackets claiming 1300.
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

There was a change to the taxation classes, I believe some rx8s, that are in lower tax bracket are taxed as a 1.3. they are all the same size regardless, but have different porting 4 port 192, or 6 port 231 usually coinciding with 5 speed or 6 speed gearbox respectively unless desired after manufacture
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

In the UK all RX8s should be recorded as 2.6 and only those whose V5 have not be replaced (for change of owner etc) will show 1.3.

This is regardless of the taxation class, which changes for pre & post 2006, just because that's when legislation changed.

However some JDM private imports may still be recorded as 1.3, depending how the paperwork was completed.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

I am dismayed and astonished by the amount of mis-information here, on the owners club, no less.

I have been into this with both MSUK and Mazda technical in depth and the fact of the matter is this.

its 1300cc. 650cc per rotor x2. that is what Mazda technical say. they also say that they had a agreement with the DVLA to register it as 2600 for tax class reasons ONLY. this is the same for the 192, 231 and R3/series 2.

Motorsport UK state they accept the RX8 is a 1300cc engine and are happy to disregard the V5c in this case because they accept that it was for Taxation reasons only.

I had to go into this in depth as the scrutineers and club secretary of the motorsport club i am a member of wanted to put me in a cc class higher than i should be in.

cutting out the 10 of 15 emails to each, the pertinent (if oversimplified) reply's from MMUK and MSUK are as follows.
Subject: RE: Sprints, Hill Climbs and Drag Racing tech regs query.

The engine itself physically is a 1.3L engine, however as per the regulations the actual capacity when viewed from a motorsport perspective after the multiplier would become 1.95

Kind Regards,

Reece Tarren
Technical Support Engineer
msuk.jpg

T: +44 (0) 1753 765094
Good morning Mr xxxxx,

The only thing we could provide would be an extract from the workshop manual which shows the following:
MMUK.png
Which of course gives a capacity of 1308cc however; We do have an agreement with the DVLA that for all taxation purposes, the engine size is doubled to 2616cc.

Yours Sincerely
Emma Seal

Customer Relations Manager
Customer Service Division

Mazda Motors UK Limited

Victory Way, Crossways Business Park, Dartford, DA2 6DT
Phone: 03457 48 48 48
E-mail: mmukassistance@mazdaeur.com Web: www.mazda.co.uk

Mazda Motors UK Ltd is registered in England & Wales No: 4212655.
Registered Office: Victory Way, Crossways Business Park, Dartford, Kent DA2 6DT.
that aside...

the easiest way to tell if you have a 192 or a 231 is simply whether you have a 5 speed gearbox or a 6 speed.

the other easy way is the redline which is much higher on a 231 vs a 192.

here endeth the lesson or rx8 capacity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

And to confuse you ever more.
The early RX4-7s where 2300 12A or 2600cc 13B.
RX8 13B Renesis is 1300cc which is basically the same engine as a RX7 13B.

RAC blue book (The Bible)
States Rotarys will be classed as 1 Rotor =3 Cylinders
2 Rotors =6 Cylinders.
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
Richnzj
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Richnzj »

Um these engines are not the same at all

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

It is either 1300 or 3900 depending on the definition of displacement.
One complete combustion for each rotor which takes 1 revolution (same as 2t engines) and is 1300cc
One complete combustion of each rotor face which can be regarded as separate combustion chamber which take 3 revolutions and is 3900 cc....

2.6 is only taxation similarly for competition where 2T engines of 250cc are classed as 450 4t ones if im not mistaken now (in motorcross).. or if turboed 4t than it counts in class as 1.8* engine displ.
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

Richnzj wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Um these engines are not the same at all

Basically the same internals which give the same CC.
You can swap Rotors Housings etc even the E Shaft and you’ll still end up with the same CC.

I believe they where dropped to a 1300 cc because of the Very high Tax classes in Japan from 2300/2600.
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Taxation classes have very little to do with physics, rather they're determined by politics and revenue generation.

In the ROI our cars are taxed as 1.7L, which makes no physical sense.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

SprintRX8 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:48 pm
I believe they where dropped to a 1300 cc because of the Very high Tax classes in Japan from 2300/2600.
2.6 makes no sense what so ever. Only if we measure how much it displaces in 2 revolutions. Which is not a definition on any of the engine displacement measurement definitions. By that all the 2t would be calculated as twice what they are. Or anyy other non 4t engine's...
Richnzj
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Richnzj »

OK your blanket statement! un like the post before yours !did not answer his question about what rx8 engine he has! or the fact you don't answer the other question about tax in the UK! or the fact that you can build a 13b rx7 engine with 13b rx8 only parts you can't there a different engine ! but hey your right well done on your answer and yes 2 rotors = 6 compression strokes did you just add 00 to the end and make 2600 like the UK government and forget a triangle has 3 corners

Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Richnzj wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:07 am
... ! but hey your right well done on your answer and yes 2 rotors = 6 compression strokes ....
Try reading the definition of the combustion volume. Might help ypu out instead of being a :roll:
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

Things get sightly complicated when you start using combustion area X crank shaft revolutions, the rotor revolution does not equal the eccentric shaft revolution, there is gearing involved, this is where the discrepancy/disagreement arises I believe
Richnzj
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Richnzj »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:
Richnzj wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:07 am
... ! but hey your right well done on your answer and yes 2 rotors = 6 compression strokes ....
Try reading the definition of the combustion volume. Might help ypu out instead of being a :roll:
OK my post is meant in a slap stick way no offence to any one

These users thanked the author Richnzj for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:01 pm)
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

PaulAV wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:27 pm
Things get sightly complicated when you start using combustion area X crank shaft revolutions, the rotor revolution does not equal the eccentric shaft revolution, there is gearing involved, this is where the discrepancy/disagreement arises I believe
Engine displacement is the measure of the cylinder volume swept by all of the pistons of a piston engine, excluding the combustion chambers. (loosely quoted on Wiki from technical papers).

there is no mention of how many revolutions one of those complete cycles takes (2T engine vs 4T for example)

It can be discussible that:
-one rotor is considered one piston an its displacement is thus 2x 650cc. (completed in one revolution)
-each rotor face is considered a separate "piston" or combustion volume and is thus equal to 6x 650cc. (which takes 3 revolutions)

these are 2 physical options, there is no 3rd and that is used purely for states where tax or insurance is defined by displacement and not power and/or CO2 and that gives "equivalent" 4T volume... but having that as definition of engine displacement is a BS.... it should be stated that for wankel engines engine displacement should be doubled when calculating premium and tax...
delta0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by delta0 »

I’ve always been under the impression the 2600CC is because it’s 1300CC but it fires on every rotation whereas a 4 stroke piston engine fires on every 2 rotations of the crank. It was the easiest way to convert the rotary engine to fit the way the tax system was intended to work at the time.
These users thanked the author delta0 for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:40 am)
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, RB oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, RB Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback, braided brake lines, SuperPro bushes, RB flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, powder coated and fully resealed everything underneath