Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Re: Announcement: New recall for R3s

Post by Mpv2k3 »

20211217_120454.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Mpv2k3 for the post (total 2):
casey (Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:47 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:20 pm)
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
Jester*
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by Jester* »

Ok this may of be some interest.

This seems to not be RX8 specific. One of the MPS groups I am in has just had someone with a 6 MPS post of a recall for the fuel pump sealing rings with a letter to back it up.
Mazda 3 MPS Aero - Cosmic Blue
Mazda RX8 R3 - Aurora Blue
Mazda RX7 FD3s Type R Barthurst R
Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by rotatopotato »

God. Damn. It.

Just got my letter today. A very unwelcome Xmas gift from mazda. At this stage I will not be going ahead with the recall given the headache I've just gone through with my S1. The local Mazda dealers are all Arnold Clark so there is no way in hell they are touching the R3. As we're all well aware of by now, there is a significantly higher chance of your fuel tank leaking after this recall, so it's just not worth the hassle IMO.

VIN 300677
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post:
New Duke (Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:09 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Jester* wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm
Ok this may of be some interest.

This seems to not be RX8 specific. One of the MPS groups I am in has just had someone with a 6 MPS post of a recall for the fuel pump sealing rings with a letter to back it up.
If you follow the links in my post above you'll see that it applies to both the RX-8 and the Mazda 6 MazdaSport
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Jester* (Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:40 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by brix79 »

Had mine today too. **********0179
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

At least this time we were ahead of the curve and not playing catch-up :D
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Freddie
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Freddie »

Delivered today....booked for the 7th Jan. Will freak at the dealership if it leaks after! (Vin end 00570)
These users thanked the author Freddie for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:22 pm)
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Be aware they may not leak immediately after - it took a year for my 192 to start leaking from the recall being done.
stoupaduck
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by stoupaduck »

Letter received - VIN ends 301140
June 2005 - Nov 2006 VR 190
Nov 2006 - Black PZ - the grin just got wider; Nov 2007 - CF Vents and strakes; Feb 2008 - Bonnet Stay Dampers; Nov 2008 - New Engine and clutch!!!
September 2011 - Aurora Blue Mica R3; March 2012 - Lockwoods Grills
rickp
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by rickp »

Letter received for mine yesterday, will give them a call on Monday to see when I can get booked in for. #-o
These users thanked the author rickp for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:22 pm)
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

SeanP wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:19 pm
Mines showing recall since 15th December. Will await letter from Mazda?
Does this mean I get a new fuel pump??
I believe that S1 owners got a new fuel pump and filter as a part of the recall. This obviously doesn't guarantee it, but just to advise as I believe the issue it is rectifying is the same.
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Post by Delanor »

Series 1 TSB Fuel pump repair procedure. that is what was carried out on mine, there should be a revised UK instruction to deal with checking for fuel leaks with a full tank.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Michael73
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Michael73 »

Hi,

I got my recall letter a few days ago. Last 6 digits of my VIN 301178

I'd be interested to hear feedback from people who get this work done in 2022.

Regards,

Michael
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Michael73 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:22 pm
Hi,

I got my recall letter a few days ago. Last 6 digits of my VIN 301178

I'd be interested to hear feedback from people who get this work done in 2022.

Regards,

Michael
What value will the feedback add? There should be no horror stories as there have been with some S1 cars due to the updated Service Bulletin testing procedure. The potential problem has been identified by Mazda as a safety issue therefore just get your car booked in and when doing so ask for confirmation that they will be filling the fuel tank to test for leaks and that you expect to be charged for this fuel. If they are not prepared to do this then they are failing to follow Mazdas instructions and you should as them check the latest service bulletin for the recall where this is detailed.
Making those requests should not be necessary but there are good reasons for the technicians to read the bulletin as it is different from a straight forward fuel pump seal change.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Post by Delanor »

The US R3 (series 2) TSB for fuel pump repair https://www.rx8club.com/attachments/ser ... -only..pdf

They don`t appear to have leak problems in the US as a full tank test is not carried out. :-k

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
pstables
Former Member
Former Member

Post by pstables »

Me too on the DVLA website;

Outstanding recall found
This vehicle has been recalled since at least 20 December 2021.
Contact a MAZDA dealership to arrange for repairs.

car is currently SORNd for winter...
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:39 pm
What value will the feedback add? There should be no horror stories as there have been with some S1 cars due to the updated Service Bulletin testing procedure. The potential problem has been identified by Mazda as a safety issue therefore just get your car booked in and when doing so ask for confirmation that they will be filling the fuel tank to test for leaks and that you expect to be charged for this fuel. If they are not prepared to do this then they are failing to follow Mazdas instructions and you should as them check the latest service bulletin for the recall where this is detailed.
Making those requests should not be necessary but there are good reasons for the technicians to read the bulletin as it is different from a straight forward fuel pump seal change.
So since Mazda updated the TSB you can confirm that zero cars have had any issues with during or post recall? Mechanics never make mistakes or hide a botch?

You can confirm that not a single technician on this recall will think "Oh yeah I've done a couple of these already" and not bother referring to the TSB? Just because you ask the front desk or service manager to use the new TSB... doesn't mean the technician actually will.

Can I specify that they put E5 in and how do I know that they will and where they'll source that from?

Mazda did my airbag recall. There was a proper TSB and they still managed to ruin my dashboard and then deny it. There's always scope for them to mess up and I'd like to hear from other R3 owners if that happens.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
rotatopotato (Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:56 pm)
Padge
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Padge »

Hi Guys, just had my recall letter through for my R3. Have used Mitchell Mazda, Cheshire Oaks previously. So will be booking it in there in the new year. Vin 300341
stewartm
Club Member
Club Member

Post by stewartm »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
The potential problem has been identified by Mazda as a safety issue therefore just get your car booked in and when doing so ask for confirmation that they will be filling the fuel tank to test for leaks and that you expect to be charged for this fuel. If they are not prepared to do this then they are failing to follow Mazdas instructions and you should as them check the latest service bulletin for the recall where this is detailed.
Looking at the linked docs for the S1 work above, I see that step 5 requires them to drain the tank to a 1/4 full or below. So if I pitch up with a full tank, given it is a recall (i.e. resolving their fault), presumably they are not expecting me to cough for the privilege of getting a car back with a full tank, but they should return the car to me in the same condition, thus guaranteeing the brimmed tank test?

Either way as a side note to anyone who has more than 1/4 of a tank of fuel on arrival, if you are in the mood, you may want to bear in mind the point about them draining the tank, when discussing any overall charges.

Also, I love the wording of these letters. "Urgent!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!11!!one!!! .... just not urgent enough to do at the same time as the US, rather than significantly later"
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

New Duke wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:05 am
So since Mazda updated the TSB you can confirm that zero cars have had any issues with during or post recall? Mechanics never make mistakes or hide a botch?

You can confirm that not a single technician on this recall will think "Oh yeah I've done a couple of these already" and not bother referring to the TSB? Just because you ask the front desk or service manager to use the new TSB... doesn't mean the technician actually will.

Can I specify that they put E5 in and how do I know that they will and where they'll source that from?

Mazda did my airbag recall. There was a proper TSB and they still managed to ruin my dashboard and then deny it. There's always scope for them to mess up and I'd like to hear from other R3 owners if that happens.
Exactly. The recall was done on my S1 after the TSB had been updated, and yet they still didn't tighten the locking rings properly. Just because Mazda say they've solved it doesn't mean you're going to get a consistent experience at every dealership.
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:52 pm)
SeanP
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by SeanP »

Recall letter received, last 6 digits of VIN 000793
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

New Duke wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:05 am
ChrisHolmes wrote:

Be sensible please Haydn!
Rotary History;

ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

stewartm wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:55 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:
The potential problem has been identified by Mazda as a safety issue therefore just get your car booked in and when doing so ask for confirmation that they will be filling the fuel tank to test for leaks and that you expect to be charged for this fuel. If they are not prepared to do this then they are failing to follow Mazdas instructions and you should as them check the latest service bulletin for the recall where this is detailed.
Looking at the linked docs for the S1 work above, I see that step 5 requires them to drain the tank to a 1/4 full or below. So if I pitch up with a full tank, given it is a recall (i.e. resolving their fault), presumably they are not expecting me to cough for the privilege of getting a car back with a full tank, but they should return the car to me in the same condition, thus guaranteeing the brimmed tank test?

Either way as a side note to anyone who has more than 1/4 of a tank of fuel on arrival, if you are in the mood, you may want to bear in mind the point about them draining the tank, when discussing any overall charges.

Also, I love the wording of these letters. "Urgent!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!11!!one!!! .... just not urgent enough to do at the same time as the US, rather than significantly later"
If you pitch up with a full tank after reading all the information on here then expect to be turned away as I doubt the dealer will want to drain 3/4 of the fuel. Better to be sensible and arrive with a 1/4 tank then when you collect the car it will have a full tank of fuel.
It would not be unreasonable to request that they fill the tank with 99 octane if that’s what you normally run.
Rotary History;

casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Unfortunately, Mazda UK are unable to provide us with a copy of the procedure issued to the dealers as they are not permitted to do so by Mazda Japan corporate policy.

However, my experience is that the dealers who print out the procedure can often be persuaded to pass it to the customer (I got mine!), once the work is completed, as they ought to bin it and print a fresh copy each time, in case a revision has been made.

A REQUEST OF ANY OWNER BOOKED IN JANUARY/FEBUARY FOR THIS RECALL: Could you politely ask for a copy of the procedure on collecting your car? If asked why, just say you are interested to see what work was carried out (not unreasonable, it's you car!).

I suspect that the UK procedure will differ from the US procedure and require the owners to rock up with less than 1/4 tank fuel, but I may be wrong.

QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BOOKED WITH A DEALER: were you advised you had to arrive with less than 1/4 tank of fuel? Were you advised that your tank would be brimmed on completion of the work to test for leaks and would be required to pay for that fuel? It is possible the dealer receptionists may not be aware of the full procedure at this stage and may simply know the recall requires X hours and booked the work on that basis, so a call may be received later to advise on fuel levels on drop-off and the re-fill before collection.

I emailed Mazda UK yesterday to ask for official confirmation that the procedure will include the tank brimming and leak check before car collection by the customer. I'm damn well hoping that the lessons learned on the S1 campaign have been carried forward, so I wanted an answer to that on the record. If not, I will be straight back on to the Director of Customer Services at Mazda UK (who was copied in on my email enquiry, so will be expecting me with his tin hat on)!
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 3):
ChrisHolmes (Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:20 pm) • warpc0il (Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:19 pm) • rotatopotato (Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:03 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

I have confirmed with a contact at a Mazda dealer who was briefed on the new recall today - process is the same as the S1. In with less than half/ quarter of a tank, do the job, fill and check for leaks, return to customer and charge them for the fuel.

If you are advised by a dealer this is not the case then insist that you will not collect the car until it has been checked for leaks.

There should be fewer issues as this is the message for the recall from Day 1, but never say never...
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
casey (Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:34 pm)
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg