RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Re: Announcement: New recall for R3s

Post by SeanP »

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 pm
SeanP wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 pm
IF anything, and as mentioned above (could still be "placebo" / mind games) but I'd say my car did have a feint "fuelly" whiff internally for past few months; which has now gone completely!
Maybe my seals were on the "way out"!? I always put it down to the decat; but wondered at back of my mind "why inside" sometimes!?
Don't be too surprised if the fuelly whiff comes back, the next time you're driving slower than a tail-wind, as decats are famous for it :D
The whiff is usually there BEFORE starting the car... I'd also put it down to some "cleaning" products - but to be frank; I've not cleaned the insides for months! :D
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by brix79 »

brix79 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:01 pm
VP Mazda Cardiff
...I did quiz them about the recall, but couldn't get much info from them as they didn't really know the answers.
  • How many recalls they had carried out.
  • Whether stock was available.
  • What the procedure for leak checks was.
Drew a blank with those, so may have to check with them again in a month or two.
Just my experience so far, but glad you have had yours done without incident Sean!
These users thanked the author brix79 for the post:
SeanP (Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:51 pm)
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
stoupaduck
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica
Has thanked: 0

Post by stoupaduck »

All sorted yesterday no issues - re-fuelled and given a work out - no sign of any leaks
These users thanked the author stoupaduck for the post (total 2):
SeanP (Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:51 pm) • casey (Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:14 pm)
June 2005 - Nov 2006 VR 190
Nov 2006 - Black PZ - the grin just got wider; Nov 2007 - CF Vents and strakes; Feb 2008 - Bonnet Stay Dampers; Nov 2008 - New Engine and clutch!!!
September 2011 - Aurora Blue Mica R3; March 2012 - Lockwoods Grills
YellowFish
Club Member
Club Member

Post by YellowFish »

Has anyone used the Derby dealership for the recall? Finally got the time to sort the brakes and get mine back on the road with an MOT so should really start sorting the recall. Other option is little wick green when I'm next down visiting family.
Jester*
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Jester* »

Just had my recall done by Ashford Orbital Mazda, service lady said they had done quite a few, which made me feel better.

Checked under the car after I filled up and when I got home. Couldn't see any leaks and the cabin remained fume free. So far so good....
These users thanked the author Jester* for the post (total 2):
casey (Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:55 pm) • SeanP (Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:50 pm)
Mazda 3 MPS Aero - Cosmic Blue
Mazda RX8 R3 - Aurora Blue
Mazda RX7 FD3s Type R Barthurst R
Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver
Michael73
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Michael73 »

Hi,

Had mine done last week. All seemed to go OK.

They siphoned out excess fuel. Did the recall. Put the fuel back in. I brimmed it straight away, drove it around and so far no problems.

I also got the fuel filter done at the same time. I can definitely recommend doing this. I don't understand why this isn't a serviceable item. My filter had "only" done 54k but looked very sorry for itself. It was definitely time to change it. Cost was £70 all in, which was a pleasant surprise, I didn't know that a main dealer till could handle a two digit bill!

Whilst in the delaership I couldn't help over-hearing a steady stream of people booking themselves in for fuel pump related recalls for other models. I get the impression that the mechanics are getting plenty of practice on fuel pump recalls at the moment.

- Michael
These users thanked the author Michael73 for the post (total 3):
New Duke (Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:01 pm) • SeanP (Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:43 pm) • casey (Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:05 pm)
rickya
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by rickya »

Had mine done yesterday at Mazda Watford, Otterspool Lane. Quater tank of fuel requested at drop off. Got it back today with no instructions about checking with full tank, but I will do that myself anyway. Car not washed either. Lol
These users thanked the author rickya for the post:
casey (Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:05 pm)
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

They are supposed to fill the tank to check and then invoice you. If you fill the tank and it leaks then you will potentially be closing a petrol station until the danger is neutralised and the dealer will be responsible for recovering the car. They have not followed the revised Mazda procedure.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
rickya (Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:55 pm)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
rickya
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by rickya »

And it's not as if they had to go far to fill up the tank. There's a brand new Costco petrol pump not more than 300 meters from them!
These users thanked the author rickya for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:51 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

It's unclear if the improvements to the S1 instructions for the fuel tank recall, such as filling the tank, were ever included in the R3 version. The evidence so far would suggest that they weren't.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:51 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

I've booked mine in at Edinburgh Mazda in Newbridge, they'll call me to finalise the date once they have parts.
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post:
casey (Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:05 pm)
Mistry93
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Mistry93 »

Hi All

I got my recall letter on 15th December 2021.

Garage used
Milcars (Radlett) Mazda
Otterspool Way
Watford
WD25 8HL

It was booked in on 23rd Feb 2022 and the work was completed on the same day. As per my request, the garage filled the tank which I had to pay for in the end.

So far, so good. No complaints but I'm sure time will tell if something will go wrong. As Michael73 mentioned, I overheard a number of people calling in for the fuel tank recalls so hopefully the technicians were well versed enough to do a good job.

Unfortunately, I was allowed to have any copies of the procedure since all invoices, apart from refuelling, are sent to Mazda.
These users thanked the author Mistry93 for the post (total 2):
rickya (Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:41 pm) • casey (Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:05 pm)
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

rotatopotato wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:07 pm
I've booked mine in at Edinburgh Mazda in Newbridge, they'll call me to finalise the date once they have parts.
Edit: it's actually Western Mazda, not Edinburgh Mazda.

I've been in touch with them to find out if they're still waiting on the parts - they are, they have been told its a 6-8 week wait, and it's not quite been 3 yet (I thought it had been longer).

While I was following up I had them order in a fuel filter as well so that I can get that replaced at the same time - they were happy to provide a 10% discount on parts with proof of membership (emailed photos of both sides of my membership card), so I've PM'd Ian with an update for the member benefits thread on Mazda dealers.
Leck3000
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Leck3000 »

Booked mine in yesterday after some hesitancy but gone with Lodge Garage which Sean has mentioned in reviewing this thread. The lady 'Sophie' seemed quite clued up about the recall, perhaps because of a seemingly endless amount over the Mazda range or because of Sean's inquisitions previously. She was adamant that the current TSB only called for a 1/4 tank upon drop off and no refuel after with a 5-6 'good' stops to test all is well.

So when reviewing the thread now it does seem to be the current procedure so will persevere with the booking as it works well as I can get picked up and dropped there by a work colleague. Not booked in until 27th April to allow sufficient time for them to get the parts in and and in case of any further revisions.

seeing mentions of getting the fuel filter done I may well do this as well. I am a good one for running down to the light and rarely get past 1/2 full albeit only just clocked 45k

EDIT - Fuel filter change now booked @ £107, more than expected compared to what was quoted by someone else but by now Ive had enough of the STealers and just want to get it done and dusted and I can go back to the happy life without them
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Post by Delanor »

rotatopotato wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:02 pm
rotatopotato wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:07 pm

I've been in touch with them to find out if they're still waiting on the parts - they are, they have been told its a 6-8 week wait, and it's not quite been 3 yet (I thought it had been longer).

So the parts to be fitted to stop the possibility of your RX-8 catching fire will take 6 - 8 weeks delivery. :shock:

Awesome! somehow I don`t think Mazda has its heart in this. :-k

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
rotatopotato (Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:33 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Yeah, it's pretty terrible that they can't supply parts to their dealers for the urgent recall they issued in December.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Leck3000 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:36 pm
Booked mine in yesterday after some hesitancy but gone with Lodge Garage which Sean has mentioned in reviewing this thread. The lady 'Sophie' seemed quite clued up about the recall, perhaps because of a seemingly endless amount over the Mazda range or because of Sean's inquisitions previously. She was adamant that the current TSB only called for a 1/4 tank upon drop off and no refuel after with a 5-6 'good' stops to test all is well.

So when reviewing the thread now it does seem to be the current procedure so will persevere with the booking as it works well as I can get picked up and dropped there by a work colleague. Not booked in until 27th April to allow sufficient time for them to get the parts in and and in case of any further revisions.

seeing mentions of getting the fuel filter done I may well do this as well. I am a good one for running down to the light and rarely get past 1/2 full albeit only just clocked 45k

EDIT - Fuel filter change now booked @ £107, more than expected compared to what was quoted by someone else but by now Ive had enough of the STealers and just want to get it done and dusted and I can go back to the happy life without them
Check the parts that are in the kit of parts used in the recall as I think the fuel filter may be one of them as it fits onto the bottom of the pump.
Even if it is not included in the kit don’t have it fitted as a separate job just wait till you have the recall work done and ask them to fit it then which should cost you no labour.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black R3
Avatar courtesy of my grandson Cameron
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:10 pm
Check the parts that are in the kit of parts used in the recall as I think the fuel filter may be one of them as it fits onto the bottom of the pump.
I believe its been confirmed elsewhere in this topic that the R3 recall does not include the fuel filter like it did with the S1.

Leck3000 you got a better deal than me, I was charged £124.45 incl a 10% discount!
These users thanked the author rotatopotato for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:21 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

The fuel filter is £28 dealer retail, and they will have the unit out and in their hands when they do the recall.
R3 fuel filter.jpg
R3 fuel filter.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
New Duke (Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:14 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
rotatopotato
Club Member
Club Member

Post by rotatopotato »

Oh, fantastic, I've been ripped off 🙄
Leck3000
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Leck3000 »

Yeah £27 odd they charged me upfront for the filter then 1/2 hour labour for £80!!! I cant argue, they have it open and will seal it up 'hopefully' properly. It always stings when I have to pay someone else to do things but on occasion like this it is just easier and have to swallow it.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

For information, the fuel filter which was causing fuel cut issues on the S1 was the equivalent of the "Body Fuel Filter", part 13-ZE0 in the diagram above, not the easy to replace "coarse" fuel filter 13-ZE1. Fuel cut would be rare in road use, but very common (and reproducible) in certain cornering situations on track.

This filter, 13-ZE0, is built into the fuel body/basket assembly and cannot be replaced on its own. A complete new body/basket is required. I think the Mazda cost for the OEM assembly is around £200-£300?
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Viperous
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Viperous »

I noticed when I bought my 40th edition that it has an outstanding recall per the DVLA vehicle history - how would I go about finding what the recall is for?

I've contacted my local Mazda dealership to sort this. I assume that given it's a recall all labour/part costs will be covered by the manufacturer and therefore I'll pay nothing? :) or am I being a chancer
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

It's free and probably fuel seals on the tank

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author nightfire10 for the post:
Viperous (Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:54 pm)
Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Viperous wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:16 pm
I noticed when I bought my 40th edition that it has an outstanding recall per the DVLA vehicle history - how would I go about finding what the recall is for?

I've contacted my local Mazda dealership to sort this. I assume that given it's a recall all labour/part costs will be covered by the manufacturer and therefore I'll pay nothing? :) or am I being a chancer
https://www.mazda.co.uk/owners/recalls/
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™