Place for discussions about the RX-8
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Aftermarket front lip fitting.

Post by hachiroku »

I have picked up an aftermarket front lip for my S1 RX8, 2nd hand from a chap breaking his car, although the lip itself was never fitted. I believe its a "Grams Styling" JDM style front lip, in fibreglass.
Has anyone fitted one of these before? Any top tips to share before I take the plunge?
There's no fitting instructions with it, and no holes drilled or markings where to drill.
I assume the factory air dam/splitter will need removing, and this lip screwing/sticking on?
Which I also assume will involve removing the front bumper??
IMG_20210929_171048.jpg
IMG_20210929_171149.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
40th Anniversary 068/400 - RRP coils - Petit Racing Catback -Tein Street coilovers - 181rwhp... My ears are bleeding!!!
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Aftermarket front lip fitting.

Post by hachiroku »

On second thoughts, looking at the below photo it seems it might just fit over the top of the OE bumper.
Which might make things a little simpler.
Dremel at the ready though... :lol:
Screenshot_20210929-190154.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
40th Anniversary 068/400 - RRP coils - Petit Racing Catback -Tein Street coilovers - 181rwhp... My ears are bleeding!!!
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Elmotheewokking »

Is that the one where he has one fitted to the car that has clearly been rammed into a curb?
I'm actually expecting one to be delivered in the next couple of days.
From what I've seen on YouTube, the IKON one it appears to be a copy of, uses the existing side mounts in the front arches and has a couple of brackets to fix to the undertray.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
hachiroku (Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member

I more meant this one...

Edit: Actually, this is the one that shows how not to fit it actually. Rivets, sharpie and white silicone that you airbrush black. Can't find the other one now :lol:
These users thanked the author Elmotheewokking for the post:
hachiroku (Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 pm)
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

Thanks for the reply, yes after having a look online there seems to be plenty of videos and guides showing how NOT!! to fit these front lips , some real bodge jobs going on :lol: .
The Ikon fitting guide though seems useful though.
I’ll test fit it tomorrow and see what it needs, hadn’t thought about brackets, but should be easy enough to make something.
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member

Depending on when you intend to fit it, if mine doesn't come with bracketry, which I fully expect it not too, I'll be getting my cousin to cut and fold some for me.
More than happy to get another set knocked up if you want?
Of course, if it does, I can provide measurements etc. for you.
hachiroku (Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:47 pm)
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

Elmotheewokking wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:10 pm
Depending on when you intend to fit it, if mine doesn't come with bracketry, which I fully expect it not too, I'll be getting my cousin to cut and fold some for me.
More than happy to get another set knocked up if you want?
Of course, if it does, I can provide measurements etc. for you.
Either option would be very helpful , thanks. I may give it a test fitting this weekend if I have the time , and weather dependent.
These users thanked the author hachiroku for the post:
Elmotheewokking (Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:51 pm)
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

Ok, so as I was passing a hardware store today I picked up some bits to make brackets.
1m of 20mm x 2mm aluminium strip, some M6 x 20 bolts, washers and anti vibration washers.
Let's see what can come up with....
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

It's on. Took me around 2 1/2 hours all in, but I did de-rust and paint the sump whilst I was down there too. And not a tube of glue or airbrush in sight :lol:
IMG_20211002_144217.jpg
The fit was pretty good, not quite 100% but only needed a minor adjustment to a part of the lip which sits inside the air ducting at the front and was preventing the passenger side from sitting flush. Not sure if it was the lip, or the bumper causing the issue, but it was easier to trim a bit off the lip.
IMG_20211002_144325__01.jpg
I fashioned some pretty crude brackets from the aluminium strip I bought, they only needed a slight dogleg in each one to fit, I was going to use the screws already holding the plastic undertray in place, but they were a bit too short to work, so I used the nut & bolt method instead
IMG_20211002_140156.jpg
At the corners I was able to drill the lip and re-use the existing plastic arch liner clips, and added a self tapping screw just in case.
I also used a bit of 3M tape along the top edge of the lip, but to be honest I don't really think it was needed, the corner screws and the brackets hold it all securely, helped by the fact that the centre section fits closely over the existing lip/air dam.

I refitted the number plate to the lip, but might go with a stick on plate on that side.

Being 2nd hand there are a few marks on the lip, but I'm thinking of getting it carbon wrapped in the future, so until then I'll live with the scratches and see how the lip holds up , and be careful of the overhang at the front when parking!
Elmotheewokking (Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:59 pm)
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member

Mine still hasn't arrived, or even marked as shipped and Grams aren't replying to my message... Could be fun!
Looks good! I'm nervous about drilling mine, I ordered the Carbon Fibre one for ultimate scene points :lol:
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

I found it easiest to get hold of them via Facebook, I'm waiting on a carbon rear numberplate surround, they said that could be a month from order to delivery.
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member

hachiroku wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:30 pm
I found it easiest to get hold of them via Facebook, I'm waiting on a carbon rear numberplate surround, they said that could be a month from order to delivery.
I sincerely hope you're wrong. I understand things take time, but a little warning, or any communication at all would be nice. We'll see!
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

Don't expect it to arrive next week....
Screenshot_20211002-192941.jpg
Elmotheewokking (Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:37 pm)
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member

Mine turned up this afternoon. Sides don't look like they will wrap around enough to use the existing fixing points. But will have a look again this weekend.
Quality isn't as good as I was expecting, definitely looks rushed in the finish. But happy with it.
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

It looks good in Carbon 8)
Not sure whether to get mine carbon wrapped, or painted same colour as the bodywork...
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member

hachiroku wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:35 pm
It looks good in Carbon 8)
Not sure whether to get mine carbon wrapped, or painted same colour as the bodywork...
I'll get a picture of the front opening tomorrow, I think their apprentice did this one. :lol:
Can you get a picture of where yours fits in the wheel arch please? Mine doesn't want to get even close to the fixing.
hachiroku (Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:38 pm)
hachiroku
Club Member
Club Member

Post by hachiroku »

I'll try and remember. One side fits fully, the other is a few cm out so the arch liner plastic button is right on the edge of it, hence I used a self tapping screw each side as well for the moment.
Fit is ok for what I paid 2nd hand I suppose . I've seen worse in my MX5 days!
Hopefully the carbon rear licence plate surround I ordered is simpler to fit ...
Elmotheewokking (Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:29 pm)
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member

Having looked closer at the front lip today while fitting it... I won't be buying anything else from Grams ever again.
I kinda wish I'd sent it back, but knowing it'll probably get beaten to death, it's on.
I would send them a message about my concerns, but I honestly don't think they'll care.
Edges that wrap around into the wheel arch have both cracked, the resin isn't evenly applied, there's a very weird pattern in the weave on the right hand side and there's a full hard lump of resin sat on the bottom.