Place for discussions about the RX-8
Wrayburn
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice - wrong tyres fitted

Post by Wrayburn »

Hi. I have changed the tyres in my RX8 since they came with the original tyres, now 17 years old. The well known tyre changing chain I took the car to said 17 year old tyres were too old and should be changed. All
Views agreed that older tyres can become dangerous so I had them changed at the chain that advised me.

Two problems
The car came with Bridgestone Potenzas. I asked for the identical tyres. The car looked a bit weird when they finished and when I took it for a quick trial it rolls round corners like a Volvo or an old ship rather than staying fairly flat as it should be. It feels like it is in about to flip over when I go round corners at my safe but customary fast speed. It also feels strangely out of contact with the road - far too comfortable. I checked and found the well known chain had fitted Turanza (touring) tyres not Potenza tyres.

It is the wrong type so I will have to dispute it but it also feels quite dangerous to me like it could flip over, since the design must have sports tyres not car touring all weather tyres.

It also feels slightly higher than it was.

Does any member have any advice on this? Am I imagining this or does the roll and sticking to the road with no give at all whatsoever make it dangerous to drive?

Second thing. They overcharged me by £90 compared to their listed price for either Turanza or Potenza tyres.
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Advice - wrong tyres fitted

Post by Conan »

They fitted the wrong tyres and that's what you should concentrate on
I wouldn't mention dangerous to them as they would be classed fit for purpose I would think
However dangerous is a personal perspective and you may not be comfortable with them at all. your probably feeling more movement in the tyre wall which can be very weid as the Potensa's are a stiff tyre
Pete

PS: The fact that they handle worse than 17 year old tyres say's something doesn't it :roll:
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

There are lots of different types of Turanza tyres, and they vary in price:
https://www.bridgestone.co.uk/car-tyres ... es-turanza

Good luck getting a good resolution. They should have told you if they couldn't supply the tyres you asked for. They probably wrongly assumed you wouldn't notice.

In future I'd suggest buying the specific tyre you want online, and have those tyres delivered to a proper garage. The club's own tyre price list at the top of the page is really useful and avoids problems like this.
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

Sounds like they may have fitted a tyre with a taller profile or a lot lower sidewall stiffness than previous
can you tell me what numbers are on the tyre sidewall ?
the standard tyre is a 225/45 R18 91W
also have you checked what pressure they are inflated to ?
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Bridgestone recommend two tyres in 225/45/R18 91W and they are the Potenza Sport and the Turanza T005 but in terms of suitability for the RX-8 I don`t think either have been rated by owners on here.

If the original tyres were 17 years old then presumably they would have been the OE Bridgestone REO40 which were designed specifically for the RX-8 by Bridgestone although they were pretty poor in the cold and wet until they had warmed up as I recall.

Bridgestone REO50A replaced the REO40 and are still available and were a much better tyre.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

Delanor wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:01 pm
Bridgestone recommend two tyres in 225/45/R18 91W and they are the Potenza Sport and the Turanza T005 but in terms of suitability for the RX-8 I don`t think either have been rated by owners on here.
In case it's useful, I have the Bridgestone Potenza Sports. Easily the best tyre I've had on the car in the dry and moderate wet. I've had RE040's, REO50A's and S001's before. I also got a set of Uniroyal rainsport 5's recently and I've kept them for my winter set now. Phenomenal in terms of aquaplaning and great in greasy conditions but when it was dry I felt they lacked a bit so got some sports for the summer.

I've always used 225 45 18 till recently. Recent set of rainsports and Potenza sports were 235 40 18 under advice from various owners on here.
wreeve
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by wreeve »

My car came with the OE Bridgstones (the main dealer fitted them). Awful tyre. They were about 1/2 worn. I know fitting a new set would have been an improvement but I went EagleF1 and the same as v-rex, on advice here switched to 235/40/18.

I would double-check the profile (the middle number) maybe look for an XL which means extra load, but from what you are saying the opposite is true (too soft sidewall).

I hate these disputes, it's going to drag on, goos luxk. I know it's a bit late but I always buy tyres online and get them delivered to my local friendly garage and pay them to fit them! Doesn't turn out cheaper but at least I know I am getting what I want.
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

Another vote for rainsports and again 235/40 R18 and try and get a 89 or 91 rating to keep the sidewall stiffness low enough
I would agree with V-rex thaty they are not the best tyre for hard track / dry use but for everyday greasy conditions they are splendid ( plus often the cheapest for a named / trusted brand )
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

:whathesaid:

I love the Rainsport 5s on our XF. Although on that car I've never found them to fade in the dry on roads, even fully laden, whooshing around alpine roads in 40 degree heat. Despite that being a much heavier car too.

Maybe most people used the Rainsport 3s? Or it could be down to being a different car. The tyres on the old XFs are much wider than on the 8.
AMH
Media Team
Media Team
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by AMH »

Just a heads up that my R3 needs new tyres (not quite 17 years old but the originals) you'll struggle to get hold of the Bridgestone Potenza Sports, supply issues and they aren't making the non run flats anymore so any left are likely to be old stock. I've gone for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's so I'll let you know what they are like.
These users thanked the author AMH for the post (total 4):
GreySilver Beast (Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:54 pm) • v-rex (Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:56 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:59 pm) • wreeve (Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:32 pm)
Ann Carter
Social Media Liaison
Check out The Club's Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2389549834

1st March 2005 - 31st Dec 2009: Strato 192 with Mega Bling Alloys - TWOC :( :thumbsdown:
Delivered 12th March 2010: Aurora Blue R3 \:D/ :thumbsup:
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

New Duke wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm
:whathesaid:

I love the Rainsport 5s on our XF. Although on that car I've never found them to fade in the dry on roads, even fully laden, whooshing around alpine roads in 40 degree heat. Despite that being a much heavier car too.

Maybe most people used the Rainsport 3s? Or it could be down to being a different car. The tyres on the old XFs are much wider than on the 8.
I'd say the larger tread blocks and soft sidewalls of the rainsports detract from them being an 'ultimate' performance tyre as both of these qualities will slightly reduce steering feel and dry grip

however for a road car I really like them and they tend to be my default choice on all my cars as lack of dry weather grip isn't something that bothers me too much as thats usually under my control
however wet weather grip I deem as very important as that will be the one that tends to be in short supply when you really, really need it and in this aspect the rainsports excel
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

AMH wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:49 pm
Just a heads up that my R3 needs new tyres (not quite 17 years old but the originals) you'll struggle to get hold of the Bridgestone Potenza Sports, supply issues and they aren't making the non run flats anymore so any left are likely to be old stock. I've gone for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's so I'll let you know what they are like.
The Mazda wheels aren't designed to use run-flat tyres, so these should be avoided anyway, as could cause issues as well as a hard ride.

A few years ago (too long ago for thread to still be here) a member discovered that his car had been fitted with run-flat tyres, by the Mazda dealer he bought it from. When he queried it, the dealer said that he was lucky to get new tyres on a used car and shouldn't complain. However, he got written confirmation from Bridgestone and Mazda UK that the tyres fitted were "unsuitable" and that the combination of wheels and tyres were uncertified. It still took the assistance of local Trading Standards to force the dealer to change them, though they fitted some cheap no-brand ditchfinders, just out of spite. [-X

You''ll be happy to know that Romford Mazda is no longer trading.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
AMH (Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:18 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Lucky7
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Lucky7 »

17 years on the original Potenza tyres even with very low miles is surprising. I recall my first 040s on the rear were down to the limit before I hit 8k miles and the replacement 040s (that I only stuck with because someone in the club sold me very reasonably) lasted another 8k, consistent at least, before I changed all to PS3s, again from a club member.
53 Titanium 230, strakes, leather, hole in roof.
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

I'd say 17 year old tyres will be dangerous as tyres dry out over time becoming less elastic and harder
a pal of mine bought a Buick Riveria that came with some ancient whitewall yankee tyres on it that were extremely hard and wouldn't generate any tyres smoke no matter how much you sat there spinning up ( this was with a 7.3 ltr engine) and in the wet the car was lethal