Nanotrox
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Rob Dahm New RX8 Video

Post by Nanotrox »

Thought I'd leave this here for everyone to discuss

Thought the rotor weight comparison of the 13B REW and Renesis was interesting, something I didn't know
40th Anniversary Edition 369/400 203rwhp
Engine Rebuild + Street Port - 24/09/2021
Lightened and balanced rotors
Pettit Catback
Smoked Rear S2 Style Taillights
Exedy Clutch
CC Ultra Lightweight Flywheel
CC Counterweight
Tein S.Tech Lowering Springs
Racing Beat Ram Air Intake
Footwell LEDs

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=83328
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rob Dahm New RX8 Video

Post by 79398 »

I can never see the point in causing damage to a car in the name of Fun, runining the bumper is just annoying and detracts from the fact that they know a bit about the engines, there is a special place in hell for people who treat cars in a nasty wayπŸ˜³πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜±
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

Proactive wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:16 pm
I can never see the point in causing damage to a car in the name of Fun, runining the bumper is just annoying and detracts from the fact that they know a bit about the engines, there is a special place in hell for people who treat cars in a nasty wayπŸ˜³πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜±
What do you mean ruining the bumper? The car had frontal crash damage when they got it Simon..
These users thanked the author Ollie for the post:
Luke0611 (Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:47 pm)
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

I am subscribed to Rob Dahms videos and his 3 & 4 rotor exploits are a good watch but boy is he irritating at times.
Whilst it’s good to see him actually working with a standard rotary this is not a good example of how to remove and strip an engine.
I am by no means a rotary β€œexpert” but some things they do, as below, are bad practice.

Engine crane on only the front lifting eye yanking it forward the engine when pulled of the gearbox shaft could bend it and also just upend itself suddenly.
A single thin strap later to lift the engine
Engine stand adaptor packed out with many nuts
No flywheel locking initially, then they learned to use a bar bolted across the flywheel in the same direct as the breaker bar
Risky using a ratchet handle given the tightness of the front bolt
Stripping the engine sat on its sump face instead of having it vertical
Not identifying the removed seals with their respective locations as he plans no doubt to reuse them on this β€œbase” rebuild

Looking ahead the video on checking wear and setting side seal clearances should be interesting!
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

Yorindesarin wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:25 pm
What do you mean ruining the bumper? The car had frontal crash damage when they got it..
Rear damage as well now, that's the point πŸ‘‰
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Sounds like he has a new found appreciation of the 8, as he really laid into it originally, it may end up being properly built and some of the "hate" is only for show.
On a side note I've seen many an American YouTube channel where cars are examined and you think to yourself "that car belongs in the scrap yard) I'm glad we have MOT's in the UK
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3

Post by HarSc »

Just watched it this evening, and I definitely winced at the bumper caving in :roll: :lol: not hard to put a towing eye in and pull it #-o
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

HarSc wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:03 pm
Just watched it this evening, and I definitely winced at the bumper caving in :roll: :lol: not hard to put a towing eye in and pull it #-o
It is without the front crash bar πŸ˜‚
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

ChrisHolmes wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:33 pm
HarSc wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:03 pm
It is without the front crash bar πŸ˜‚
But 4 bolts and it's back on :lol: :lol: they can ugga dugga that bad boy on in what, 30 seconds :scratch: :lol:
These users thanked the author HarSc for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:36 pm)
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Elmotheewokking »

Oh no, a car saved from the salvage yard has a little bit more damage caused to it.
It's a car. Not a world heritage site or work of art.
These users thanked the author Elmotheewokking for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:30 pm)
liam.k97
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by liam.k97 »

Rob Dahm, as with many people in my age group, was one of the youtubers that brought rotaries into the spotlight for me. Now yes, he is a fairly a typical 'youtuber', or 'influencer' as they like to call themselves. Yes, i can see how he is a little annoying at times (he is a little 'over the top bubbly' at several points in this video alone), however, its just a personality thing he (as many others do) that he puts on for the camera. On live streams and the like, even just older videos, he is more subdued and much easier to take seriously. As we must all know here, he has a pretty mild case of the 'influencer' personality - i.e, he isn't completely annoying as hell to watch and he clearly does have (debatable as this may be to some) at-least a decent idea of what he is doing.
Most people on youtube, especially when they get to his size (like nearly a million subs last i remember seeing?!) have NO clue what they are on about, so for that alone, i hold a level of respect for him.

Again, been watching him for a couple of years at this point (not religiously i hasten to add), but he has, at several points that i can remeber, been the type to say 'I'm by no means a mechanic', 'do as i say, not as i do' etc.

The general practices he does, yes, while they're not the best, its not ones own car and again, we've all seen 'pros' do one hell of a lot worse. WHat some people may deem "acceptable", others won't. Be it their own safety, or that of the cars etc.
I winced a little at his engine hoist arrangement myself and while i wouldn't do it myself (i, after 5 years of completing three years of cars at tech college, then nearly a year at Audi Hereford, still get my various lectures etc voices in my head if i'm considering taking a calculated shortcut. None of us are perfect etc, and as i say, the silly things he was doing there, where nothing that i would be overly worried about although - yes; i won't be leaving my car with him any time soon :lol:

You also have to consider a element of "not caring is funny", which again, is part of our modern society nowadays, youtubers etc.
Yes, that rear bumper i'm sure was far from perfect, but i'm sure, that getting a new one, compared to whatever a RX7's rear bumper costs (if you can even buy one new at this point which i doubt), these RX8's are well. Semi-throwaway cars compared to the JDM royalty that he is working with on a day to day basis.
For him, he was a little like "woops" when he realised how his bumper had near imploded on itself, but yeah. When you have the recourses (and varying degrees of talant) to remedy fairly minor things such as the rear bumper, you find yourself not caring as much as someone who has to treat a car (or anything else) like glass because they can't fix it themselves etc. No excuse though ofcourse.
These users thanked the author liam.k97 for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:51 pm)
liam.k97
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by liam.k97 »

Was watching this this morning over my morning coffee, which was indeed a interesting video (as his uploads often are). For people who aren't subscribed etc :D And to save the half-dozen clicks and typing :D

PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I believe he was in the TV show the bachelorette based on a YouTube video I saw the offer day
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post (total 2):
liam.k97 (Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:46 pm) • 30405 (Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:53 pm)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

I subscribe to his channel as he seems to be pushing boundaries outside of drag racing with his AWD 4 rotor and soon to be Indycar 6 rotor.
The follow on renesis rebuild seems to demystify quite a few steps as well