Place for discussions about the RX-8
Koren
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Nordic Green

Stereo no sound or beeps

Post by Koren »

I figure it was my bluetooth adaptor, but then realised I'm not getting any beeps even, and nothing out the speakers when on FM even. It's not muted, the volume is up high, and I've tried checking/swapping the ACC and AUDIO fuses in the passenger A pillar. Any ideas? It's the Bose system if that matters, and it was a bit intermittant as to whether it worked for a while, but recently nothing at all.
2004 Nordic Green 231hp Street Port rebuilt by TPS 2021. Rotary Revs D585 coils, Sohn adapter, Axial flow quickshift, Toyosport catback
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Stereo no sound or beeps

Post by warpc0il »

To check if there's any power on the system just press the CD eject button.

If that works then see this post and responses viewtopic.php?p=1337121#p1337121
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Koren
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Koren »

Thanks. I tested today, it seems like it's intermittent. When I first put the key in it played the radio out the speakers fine, but wouldn't switch to aux for the bluetooth adaptor. I swapped over to the backup adaptor and it still wouldn't switch to aux. I turned the ignition off and on again in case it'd help it detect it or anything, but then the sound stopped working. Few on/offs and the sound still wouldn't come back, but the controls all work, and now it'll let me switch to aux. The eject button does nothing but there's no discs in there atm, but no whirring or anything like you'd normally expect? I've never put a cd in it tbh. I tried putting one in today, and it wouldn't go in. The display is and always has been fine, so think it's slightly different to that thread? I guess it's a dodgy connection on the back or something most likely?
2004 Nordic Green 231hp Street Port rebuilt by TPS 2021. Rotary Revs D585 coils, Sohn adapter, Axial flow quickshift, Toyosport catback
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Does sound (no pun intended) like a loose connection.

You might get away with push with the heel of your hand just below the display, as that can sometimes help reseat the connection behind. Sometimes this can creep if the car has been parked in the hot sun for a while.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Koren
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Koren »

Pushing it didn't help, just pulled it out and reseated all the connections, still nothing. Any possibility of it being the amp? Wondering if it's worth getting a second hand headunit and seeing if it's just the headunit itself. Or buying a metra kit and putting in my aftermarket unit I have in the loft
Koren
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Koren »

So I picked up a second hand head unit off eBay. Had to take the front off to add in the heater controls. New one didn't work either. Being able to mix and match the front and rear bits I thought might let me diagnose further, but no combination gives me sound, and the new front panel seems to not light up the dash display. I am getting a whirr from the cd player from both though. Any other diagnostic steps I could take, or shall I just get a second hand boot amp in case it's that? How do you remove the damn connectors on it btw? Couldn't see clearly enough to figure it out
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

Hi Koren,

I can't tell if you are using the original head unit or an aftermarket one and if this is indeed the problem.

I have my old radio unit somewhere which I swapped recently, due to it not being the correct firmware for my grom ( my old one is 10.01 ). If it helps you in getting this sorted are more than welcome to have it. It was all working fine when I last used it and it was part of a BOSE system. Let me know if that's useful at all. Thx

Vinod
Koren
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Koren »

Sorry, yes, standard head unit. Not sure, gut instinct is that it's likely the amp or something, so might try replacing that unless anyone has any suggestions!
Koren
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Koren »

Changing the amp didn't help either. If it's not the head unit and not the amp, nor any of the fuses, guess it must be a wiring fault? Any ideas for anything I can try or should I just take it to a professional? Don't like solving problems by paying someone else to fix them, but getting fed up with things not working