Place for discussions about the RX-8
Lucky7
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Day trip to TPS Kent

Post by Lucky7 »

I had a journey over to TPS Kent today. Thought I would share my positive experience as one or two things may be of interest to others.

Background is my very clean 20k miles '53 RX-8 was very slightly off-colour. A slight metallic noise, occassional, under acceleration and it was not starting right on the button, even though it was by no means slow to start. No point me getting anyone unfamilar with an RX-8 to look at it, as to someone unfamiliar the slight changes were hard to notice.

Now the first item is nothing unusual, Cat had failed. But the big suprise with this is that the cat was not the cat it should have been. Back in 2013, my car was tapped from behind when stationary. The exhaust was pushed back, and my then local Mazda dealer said that the whole exhaust system needed replacement. I understood they charged insurers for the offending party over £2k. But turns out they put a cheap aftermarket cat on after telling me they used genuine Mazda parts. At least I assume this is the case, as I cannot think of any other occassion when my cat could have been swapped.

Also the rear box was not attached properly and the incorrect bolts used to attached the cat section, all rectified by TPS.

The coils did not show obvious failure, a couple of the ignition leads had some corrosion, changing the original A spec coils to Mazda latest spec plus the leads with magnacor was carried out and immediately the starting was improved, fires up instantly and running more smootly.

They asked me what the red coolant I had in it was. Triple QX red 5 year life, I had that put in last winter. They showed me a customer engine under rebuild that had used that coolant which had caused internal corrosion. Advice is not to use this. I was unaware of this before. So swapped that out with Triple QX Purple that they say is better. I belive red is G12 and Purple is G13, so maybe that is useful info for anyone else not aware.

Finally they did a compression test. I was a bit apprehensive; my car is low miles but 18 years old and I never pre-mixed (ironically because I was worried it may harm the cat).
Results: 250 rpm, Front 7.0-7.1-7.0, Rear 7.1-7.0.7.2.
I guess it may be down to changing oil every 1000 miles due to low mileage and maybe not driving it hard enough!

A bit of a treck for me as I am the opposite side of the M25, but all in all well worth it to get above issues fixed. TPS team recommended.
These users thanked the author Lucky7 for the post (total 4):
Shagrington (Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:50 pm) • Torque23 (Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:56 pm) • njkmr (Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:47 am) • v-rex (Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:29 pm)
53 Titanium 230, strakes, leather, hole in roof.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Day trip to TPS Kent

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Even after 5 years you could raise the query with your insurers and ask them to check with Mazda regarding if the dealer purchased a genuine cat from the parts division at that time. They will have records and as It’s an expensive part they would only order when they had a car to fit it to. It’s a case if fraud so the insurer should be interested.
Alternatively you could approach the dealer and say you are going to report the situation to the insurers and see how they react.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post (total 3):
HarSc (Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:48 pm) • nightfire10 (Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:16 pm) • Torque23 (Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:57 pm)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Lucky7
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Lucky7 »

Good suggestions Chris, however the insurers were not mine, they were that of business owner whose van hit mine. They settled directly at the time and not through my insurance, as the van driver hit and ran, but didn't have foresight that his van had the name of a well known parts retailer written all over it, so they were keen they sorted without fuss at the time and pay a Mazda dealer to fix it. The Mazda dealer itself is no more and the group it was part of bought out and claim they don't have records of that time.
These users thanked the author Lucky7 for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 am)
53 Titanium 230, strakes, leather, hole in roof.
chriskirkham
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by chriskirkham »

Good people at TPS, wouldn't take my RX8 anywhere else, even though it's a 130-mile round trip.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Torque23
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Torque23 »

I have just been to TPS last Saturday for the first time a week after getting my 54 plate RX8 for a compression test. Your figures are very good. Mine were all between 6.5 and 7.0 . Going back there shortly for getting all the fluids changed and give it a more thorough once over. Going by how far people are travelling to TPS, I am glad only being 40 miles away.
Koren
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by Koren »

Guess I'm spoiled, being only 14 miles away! Going in two weeks to have first service post rebuild, and the rev limiter removed! (Little bit overdue, but had some issues chasing down some CEL codes I wanted to do myself)
2004 Nordic Green 231hp Street Port rebuilt by TPS 2021. Rotary Revs D585 coils, Sohn adapter, Axial flow quickshift, Toyosport catback