RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Bleeding brakes etc

Post by bigpete8 »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 am
Vj4sothername wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:16 am
If you can get there safely we can help you bleed the brakes. I'm changing my calipers tomorrow so will probably doing some bleeding at the track!
If you just remove one caliper / hose at a time then you should have minimal air in the system and bleeding should be simple and completed before you drive on the road.
I think this :whathesaid: but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I just did one corner for calliper and hose left the reservoir cap in place to limit leakage and removed to bleed/top up. It didn't take much effort with a vacuum pump.
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

bigpete8 wrote: vacuum pump.
You lot and your fancy tools!!
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Vj4sothername wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:14 pm
bigpete8 wrote: vacuum pump.
You lot and your fancy tools!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keke wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:47 pm
As I'm a novice, I was told o buy 2ltr by a certain mobile machanic, and that's why I'm doing it myself, I wasn't aware I needed 5!
You can do it with 1L, but it's handy to have a second 1L bottle if you need more. You can always use the rest of that bottle for top ups as your brakes wear down and so does the reservoir level.

As has been suggested just try again with a vacuum pump working your way around each caliper. Any air should come out if you pump it through. The key part of brake bleeding is being very careful not to let air in at the nipple. If you can purge the ABS unit in Forscan then ace.

Worst case just take it and your own fresh fluid to a local garage. It's a quick, cheap task and not worth lots of your time ;)
Naz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Naz »

New Duke wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:29 pm
Worst case just take it and your own fresh fluid to a local garage. It's a quick, cheap task and not worth lots of your time ;)
Sound advice. It's an easy job with the right tools and / or 2 people, so if you're struggling then just let someone else do it. In fact it's so simple that even on my 5 Series a BMW stealership only charged me £60, including the fluid!
Rafael
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by Rafael »

I think that's the best bleeding tool for one man job, it was on forum before. I'll go for this system when I'll install bbk and new brake lines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cooper Red Evolve, Pettit Racing Exhaust, Racing Beat Lightweight flywheel, AEM Intake, Tein Flex Z, RRP COFS, RRP Lightweight pulley kit, RRP MKIII Coils, RRP Full Bridgeport, RRP engine mounts
Keke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Keke »

Rafael wrote:I think that's the best bleeding tool for one man job, it was on forum before. I'll go for this system when I'll install bbk and new brake lines.
I borrowed one of these, but could get a seal

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

I believe there is something about the reservoir design that doesn't allow the pressurised bleed easily hence I bought vacuum bleed ..
Bought off Amazon 15 to 20 quid
These users thanked the author bigpete8 for the post:
wreeve (Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:43 pm)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Keke wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:19 pm
Rafael wrote:I think that's the best bleeding tool for one man job, it was on forum before. I'll go for this system when I'll install bbk and new brake lines.
I borrowed one of these, but could get a seal

The RX8 cap design is not catered for in that Ezeebleed kit. Personally I use a home made one man bleeder made from a coke bottle and a length of clear tube sealed at one end and with a 45’ cut to make the none return valve.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
Delanor (Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:01 pm)
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Keke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Keke »

Took the car to the garage today.
Basically there was air in the master cylinder from when I replaced the slave cylinder, I didn't know you could bleed the master cylinder?, anyway, £35 and my car works! Bargain

These users thanked the author Keke for the post:
v-rex (Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:58 pm)
wreeve
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by wreeve »

did this job last weekend, just gravity bleed it for the price of a rubber hose and a milk bottle and probably 4 hours of your time! Let it drip drip drip. I didn't even bother to use my go-to:

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563720 ... ke-bleeder

which is so much better than the pressure bleed method (tied the ezibleed and it's easy to blow up the reservoir like a balloon, and it never seemed to work well on my old Vauxhalls!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

The early (pre-2006) cars have a bleed nipple on the brake master cylinder, which makes is easier, while the later cars don't #-o [-X
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:31 pm

The RX8 cap design is not catered for in that Ezeebleed kit. Personally I use a home made one man bleeder made from a coke bottle and a length of clear tube sealed at one end and with a 45’ cut to make the none return valve.
I use my Ezeebleed kit I bought a cap from an eBay breakers then just drill a hole add a couple of washers and fit it to the Ezeebleed tube. :thumleft:

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:07 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

I have just replaced the flexible brake hoses amongst other things, to bleed the system I fitted a pipe to the bleed nipple, into a bottle half filled with fluid, put a coating of grease around the nipple, opened the nipple and just bled the system, the grease around the nipple is a hint I picked up to stop air being drawn in around the nipple (when under vacuum, when releasing the peddle, air will be drawn in via any route, the grease creates a temporary seal) with the new flexible hoses and fresh fluid the brake peddle is solid, in a good way
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:07 pm) • Torque23 (Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 am)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

One tip for brake change (caliper or hose)
Push down the brake pedal with a brick. It will close of the system and have it under slight pressure. Max that can happen is that single line gets air.

If you have hose pliers use them if replacing only calipers but jot on braided lines
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

I did this and tried one with a frog in it but it was too light and jumped off, better to use a denser engineering brick. :-k :thumleft:

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:22 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

also if someone leaves the ignition to "on" Ohm wont be tight once brake is pressed and Amps will freely escape from the battery
These users thanked the author Milos_Balunovic for the post (total 2):
ChrisHolmes (Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:31 pm) • Torque23 (Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:31 am)