Back from the beyond - With a strange request!

Place for discussions about the RX-8
rexxy1988
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Back from the beyond - With a strange request!

Post by rexxy1988 »

Hello All

its been awhile since i was last here with my previous 2, S1 RX8's!

i find myself in a strange situation where we've ordered a new car but it wont be ready until September. our current car has taken a massive post lockdown spike in value and a call from my local dealer presented an offer i couldn't refuse to part with it early leaving us with a problem.

my plan was to get a cheap RX8 to play around with over summer while we wait for our new car then simply take it to "webuyanycar" and whatever i get for it was a bonus!

i now thought id reach out the the RX8 fans with a curious proposition. - Does anybody have a weekend or an 8 getting in the way gathering dust that they would like getting out from under their feet for a few months. i would of course be willing to contribute towards such generosity but ive always found it life - dont ask. dont get!.

I've not really thought the logistics through but if anybody is interested please get in touch. if the above makes no sense, i basically want to rent or buy somebody's car! that works instead of buying a potential pain in the backside!

Many thanks
Matt
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Crystal White

Re: Back from the beyond - With a strange request!

Post by HarSc »

I'm not sure on if anyone has something like that, but might be worth a shot getting in touch with Dom-PZ, as he had his PZ listed here, could be an option if you can work something out with him? :-k
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
rexxy1988
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rexxy1988 »

i think i might end up treating myself to an R3 or PZ. my aim was to re live my youth and get another RX8 as a track car as thats what i always used to enjoy the most.

any R3''s up for sale ?

if it lasts longer than 3 months i might be able to persuade the wife to keep it :D
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

There are a few on autotrader for sale, and also some on Facebook, all ranging from just over £4k all the way up to £8k depending on mileage, condition and engine health.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5222953013

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5212897213

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5182767209

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 4061032896

here if doesn't load

here if doesn't load

rexxy1988
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rexxy1988 »

Yes I’ve been looking at them, what’s people’s thoughts on the prices and mileage?
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

I'd say it depends on what you want from them. The £4250 one on FB looks good, admittedly compression is definitely on the low side, but that's not to say that it won't run for a while to come (but then again it could not go well too, you'd need a crystal ball for that one ;) :lol: :lol:), and there is less value to potentially lose if there is a failure compared to a more expensive example, as it's still got a lot of worth in parts even without the engine, probably circa £3k if the interior is in good nick and all parts work. That's one to get if you want your foot in the door on an R3 and don't want to sell, as it'll be harder to shift as the current seller is finding out, but it means you can run it how you like.

The mid prices are hard to choose between, as the mileage is around 60k and prices just north of £6k, but all without compression tests or rebuild information (if applicable), so depends on how adventurous you feel :p

If you're looking for the best example possible, go for it and get the lower mileage/fresh rebuild cars, or wait for a very good example to come (and they do :D) It's honestly a choice that only you can choose, but i'd say look for a compression test or rebuild, or try and get the best deal on the lower priced cars.

Not sure what others may say, but that's my two cents.

Naz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Naz »

I am sadly having to sell mine as we are leaving the country.

Whilst the and says less than 4k miles since rebuild, I have in fact really only done about 2,500 since the rebuild.

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=83778
rexxy1988
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rexxy1988 »

This is the exact reason for buying new cars with warranty for the last few year! even then they still go wrong!

completely understand what your saying, both my previous 8's had around 70k on the clock when i sold them. the first had no issues at all, and the second sounded like a blender when revving past 6000RPM and gearbox crunched in every gear by the end.

i need something that will do the school run for the next 3 months, so even if it was down on compression im assuming it would still function as a daily driver. if it turns out to be a bag of spanners well that will be some car auctions problem. if its a good runner - like i say id probably keep it for a project with a rebuild in mind. what's a typical costs these days £2-3k?
Naz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Naz »

3k will get you a decent rebuild. Once the engine is out you would probably want to start adding things like clutch, light flywheel etc. May as well as the engine is out and saves having it done again too soon after the rebuild as there's no /little extra labour involved.
rexxy1988
Former Member
Former Member

Post by rexxy1988 »

I’m back! With my third RX8 but this time an R3!

Got some lights on the dash which hopefully somebody can shed some light on. I’ve got CEL on P2270 which I think relates to the Miltek catback system that’s installed upsetting the O2 sensor. It clears everytime via the obd2 port. I’ve also got the ABS and DSC lights come on randomly but also clear after a restart. Previous owner stated it was an the tyre monitoring system?

All in all really pleased drives really well and starts. Previous compression results low 7s, 87k on original engine. Having a slight crunch going into 5th gear though, any thought?