Place for discussions about the RX-8
Mohuss
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Meister R ZetaCFD vs Tein Flex Z

Post by Mohuss »

So after discovering my rear springs and shocks are shegged on my PZ ive thought long and hard about changing the lot out for a much more modern and adjustable setup such as the the two alternatives in the title.

Now my intentions will be use on track mostly with the odd weekend thrash so comparison between the standard setup in terms of comfort isnt too much of an issue for me, what id like are you opinions and experiences on which coilover would be more suited to track work and occasional street use.

Would have loved to keep the factory PZ bilstein/eibach but they are very sought after now even for the used ones that come up for sale now and then and even on top of that it would still be a 15 year old setup.

Keen to hear what you members have chosen and experienced between the two so I can make my mind up.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Re: Meister R ZetaCFD vs Tein Flex Z

Post by 350matt »

New Pz Bilsteins ?
or rebuild what you have
Mohuss
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mohuss »

350matt wrote:New Pz Bilsteins ?
or rebuild what you have
Which company offers rebuilds? I have 2 snapped springs and as a result one of the rear shocks has been damaged by it.

Id much rather prefer coilovers such as the ones in the title, just wanted people experiences with either one.

qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

i have a set of meisters on my car (not sure on model) and have had teins on a previous car.

id vote meister every time. just a much better product all round.
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
Mohuss (Wed May 05, 2021 8:36 pm)
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

Flex z tend to bottom out I know about 5 people with this issue never had issue with meister r I had 3 cars with meister 2x Rx8 and my old celica
These users thanked the author mi60o0 for the post:
Mohuss (Wed May 05, 2021 8:36 pm)
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
Mohuss
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mohuss »

Thank you for the replies, I had been leaning more towards the Meister R's anyway as i remember the Evo guys on the MLR raving about them years ago in my evo days, especially the after care and customer service provided by House.

Tein was very popular too so id thought id ask anyway.

Thank you again guys i will be ordering a set soon and ill be happy to do a little write up review on them.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Mohuss wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:32 pm
or rebuild what you have
Which company offers rebuilds? I have 2 snapped springs and as a result one of the rear shocks has been damaged by it.

BILSTEIN Technical Center UK
Unit 7 Vitruvius Way, Meridian Business Park
LE19 1WA Leicester, England
Phone 0 116 289 8345
Mail sales@kruppbilstein.co.uk *
Web bilstein.com
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
Mohuss (Thu May 06, 2021 6:06 am) • meaningking (Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:45 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Post by mi60o0 »

Mohuss wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:40 pm
Thank you for the replies, I had been leaning more towards the Meister R's anyway as i remember the Evo guys on the MLR raving about them years ago in my evo days, especially the after care and customer service provided by House.

Tein was very popular too so id thought id ask anyway.

Thank you again guys i will be ordering a set soon and ill be happy to do a little write up review on them.

Tein street basis is the cheapest and amazing for daily drive and a lot of guys use tein mono sport ,that is superb but flex z is a bit letting the company down tbf
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged

Post by Clive »

After being one of the very first Tein dealers some eighteen years I will share some info.

First, we have never had a return for a leaking shock, broken spring etc in all those years.

On my own Race car, the kit I use first went on our road car in 2008 and for the last seven years has seen service with no issues on the race car helping me win three championships.(so that’s 13 years of hard use)

Many of you will know that we will not sell product we have no faith in and after finding out from Tein that Misters are a direct rip off of the Tein product we will not sell them.

The only issue we ever had with any Tein product was that on one batch of Z kits a few years ago the wrong springs were fitted to the rear led to bottoming out on some cars, if the suspension was not set up as per book, however once Tein uncovered a potential issue they were sending out slightly longer springs free of charge, which meant excellent customer back up which is what we all want if there’s any kind of issue.

Below is a link to the product and full club members will be able to obtain a discount on this product

https://www.racingbeateurope.com/mazda- ... -927-p.asp

We hope this information helps.
These users thanked the author Clive for the post (total 4):
LeeW (Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 am) • BarbedWire (Fri May 07, 2021 1:13 pm) • drk597 (Sat May 08, 2021 2:45 pm) • srenguk (Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:50 pm)
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

I’ve had both, I can’t say much bad about either tbh. Monosports are prob my fave, plus with teins you can always upgrade to edfc in the future which is much more modern.
All of the rotors, none of the compression
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by Mpv2k3 »

I have the tein Monosport fitted and thought they were great!

I have since had the edfc added which I have found extremely good and makes changing settings quick and easy when needed.
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

The Meisters are certainly not a direct rip from Teins - whoever said that at Teins was spewing marketing porkies to make themselves look better. The damping profiles and piston setups are completely different. You only have to hop in a car with either on to feel that, Teins in general run a very rebound-heavy damping setup.
How anyone can believe they're a rip-off when the Flex Z's are based on the same 20-30 year old twin tube design that such as avo, spax, etc, all used to retail in different casings I don't know. Even the Monosports aren't the same, the piston setups are different, even just looking at them without knowing anything about dampers you could see it.

If they're basing it on the body, tubes and rods - a lot of manufacturers buy those in from the same supplier, that's why you see BC and all those brands that sprung up the past few years looking similar. Tein included. Can't really blame someone on copying if you're building your dampers with off the shelf parts :|
Anyway, like I said, different pistons and valving, and in the case of the Flex Z, complete different damper design top to bottom.
Mohuss
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Mohuss »

RenesisRaceBuggy wrote:The Meisters are certainly not a direct rip from Teins - whoever said that at Teins was spewing marketing porkies to make themselves look better. The damping profiles and piston setups are completely different. You only have to hop in a car with either on to feel that, Teins in general run a very rebound-heavy damping setup.
How anyone can believe they're a rip-off when the Flex Z's are based on the same 20-30 year old twin tube design that such as avo, spax, etc, all used to retail in different casings I don't know. Even the Monosports aren't the same, the piston setups are different, even just looking at them without knowing anything about dampers you could see it.

If they're basing it on the body, tubes and rods - a lot of manufacturers buy those in from the same supplier, that's why you see BC and all those brands that sprung up the past few years looking similar. Tein included. Can't really blame someone on copying if you're building your dampers with off the shelf parts :|
Anyway, like I said, different pistons and valving, and in the case of the Flex Z, complete different damper design top to bottom.
Thank you mate, will get a set of Meisters ordered soon, i feel the general consensus it that the Meisters are better than the Teins. Will give them a go a do my own little write up on here as there is not much on this forum about them.

Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

Hi.
Good info from Race Buggy there he does know about these things ;)
some people want different things from suspension so its not one size fits all.
I'm not a big fan of the Meisters there just a generic unit with rather harsh damping and I believe two different sets of spring rates to chose from.
There's not much info about them because what is there to say ?
I'm absolutely not a fan of the cheap Teins which should be thrown in the bin, ( there's threads on here about this ) which is a pity because the higher end ones are OK and almost definitely better than the Meisters ( well they are but price is a factor as well )
A trader on here tried to sell me Meisters once and was surprised at my reply :
I said the've never designed and tried them on an RX-8 there just generic and calculated, contact Meister and ask for a base setup sheet.
He did this and the reply was : set them up however you want :roll: He asked them again in an attept to get information and the answer was the same .( It's probably a lot easier to throw your adjustable suspension on a car and get it closer to dangerous than right. )
I doubt Tein tried their suspension on an RX-8 either ( non of these companies tend to because its a generic damper for lots of cars with a calculated spring rate that differs between cars.
Bilstein say they actually test theirs on cars but I can'r confirm that ( have you looked at Bilstein options ) ?
The PZ suspension was specificaly made for the RX-8 for British roads and under went exhaustive testing and two test cars for a year as well ( this is why the PZ suspension is so good as a fast road suspension and can also hold it's own on the track easily.
How much are the options i'm out of touch with prices
The big question is : Do you need hight adjustable ? there all coil overs
Regards
Pete
40,000 ml PZ suspension out with Teins, Meisters, etc, etc
These users thanked the author Conan for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Fri May 07, 2021 3:38 pm) • nightfire10 (Sat May 08, 2021 2:57 pm)
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
RenesisRaceBuggy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RenesisRaceBuggy »

People really do underestimate the factory setups, it's the same with the old 'good' peugeots back when they used to tune their own suspension - those dampers were pressure balanced, had energised piston seals, digressive valving and even hydraulics bumpstops built in.
Then people would take them off and put those generic twin tube units on with none of that.
OEMs put a huge amount of development into suspension tuning, most of the time the base/mid range stuff is a side-grade at best. (Saying that I do have Meisters on my MX5, and I was happy with them for how little they cost, but I also modified them, both damping and spring rates...so.... ;) )
Elmotheewokking
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Elmotheewokking »

I have no experience of either setup. I did contact a company or maybe even MeisterR themselves when I saw the rear shock didn't meet the gold coloured brace/bracket like the stock one does. To my mind, I can't see how this doesn't make the rear less stiff. It's loading up a part of the floor that was never meant to.
Anyone else have any input on that?
The reply I got was essentially "It's fitted to our race car and it's fine." I'm just not convinced personally.
I've kinda set my mind onto HSDs now. But we'll see.
meaningking
Club Member
Club Member

Post by meaningking »

warpc0il wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:13 pm
Mohuss wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:32 pm
or rebuild what you have

BILSTEIN Technical Center UK
Unit 7 Vitruvius Way, Meridian Business Park
LE19 1WA Leicester, England
Phone 0 116 289 8345
Mail sales@kruppbilstein.co.uk *
Web bilstein.com
One of my Blistine front shocks has failed on my PZ, which means my car has failed the car test and therefore I cant drive it on the road. I tried calling Bilstein to see if it can be rebuilt buy they advised it would be complicated and costly due to Brexit, with various import and export charges.

They advised contacting Eibach UK, who mentioned the group buy for these about three years ago (to Motor Sport and Performance Limited.) But I am aware from the conversations on here these are all sold now. The guy in Eibach UK said they would need another order of at least 50 to make another batch.

I want to keep the car original and not looking to fit Coilovers as the car is a daily driver for me. I have seen some sets of PZ blistine shocks on sale on marketplace in the past, but they looked to be in not so great condition (probably no worse than my own). My concern is if I was to take a chance and buy a set they could also fail and I would have no way of knowing until it's too late.
PZ - Galaxy Grey
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Our resident PZ suspension expert is Pete [Conan] and it was Pete that arranged the group buy - which is archived here for reference. viewtopic.php?f=223&t=76220

I suggest you contact Pete directly and see if he has any suggestions. => memberlist.php?mode=email&u=16896

In parallel it would be worth putting up a Wanted post here viewforum.php?f=143
in case anyone has any good used spares or even an unfitted set from that group buy.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
meaningking (Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:37 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Paul_13
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Paul_13 »

I run meister r's on the mx5. Been good for me
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Currently have eibach springs on my 5 but going for a set of meister CRD's soon.I know a few guys with them on their cars and they all have only good things to say about them,plus they look the mutts nuts too 8)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK