Place for discussions about the RX-8
Keke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Double din stereo recommendation

Post by Keke »

Just got myself a metra kit, and wondered if there are any brands to avoid.
Id like blue tooth, sat nav ect

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

mi60o0
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Double din stereo recommendation

Post by mi60o0 »

What phone you have I see apple carplay is cheaper go for Sony or pioneer imho I have old pioneer in my celica sound is a lot better than my Chinese stereo in the s max
LEXUS LS430 4.3 v8 family car
Done exhaust and work wheels

Mx5 nd soul red Mike daily and work horse

Jessy’s Jaguar xkr 4.2 supercharged for fun family days
drk597
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Custom

Post by drk597 »

I have always used pioneer as they produce good sound quality. Alternatively I would go for Kenwood or Sony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drk597 (Dary),
Show - RX8 (2006), Resprayed in Mazda Soul Red with full INGS N-spec body kit, 33k miles on original engine.
Daily - 2020 Mercedes Benz GLC, Facelift :D
Track - "B-Spec" Mazda2 (Fun little Go-Kart)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Connection to iOS or Android?
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Personally I went for Sony, mostly for the actual volume knob and the UI design on the head unit, I feel like a lot of other brands seem a bit tacky and dated, then again that's my personal opinion.

Ultimately I'm of the stance that you choose the HU for the features and outputs that you want, AC or AA are commonplace on a lot of head units now, and all of the main brands seem to do a good job, probably best to just have a good browse around YouTube for reviews of models that you're interested in to get a better picture :thumleft:
These users thanked the author HarSc for the post:
Keke (Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:06 pm)
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

You get what you pay for. There's nothing intrinsically special about an RX8, so be guided by what you want out of it and general reviews. For me a steering wheel mounted controller is far better than using an adapter to use the existing controls, not least because the adapters I've used have performed poorly.

IMO satnav on a HU is a poor option compared to Google maps, primarily because I've not seen one that includes real time traffic information. IMO you're far better off finding a unit with both Apple and Android connectivity apps and using your mobile phone than paying the extra for a sat nav unit.

I keep looking at a double DIN for my R3, using a separate amp/speaker system I have rather than the stock BOSE. I find the BOSE disappointing even after I replaced the tweeters, but in terms of sat nav etc I'm more than happy mounting my iPhone where I can see it and using Google maps and internet radio stations, Radio Paradise being our favourite.

Now, if I could find an HU that would link my iPhone and a heads-up display to project nav data onto the windscreen then I'd be off . . .
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
MadTaz
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by MadTaz »

I have a Kenwood in mine, has apple car play and android auto which is what I use as I have a Samsung. (I think the unit from memory was about £500 so middle range at best).

I used a Axxess box to connect the steering wheel controls and they work flawlessly except the mute button is now attenuation. Great addition and would recommend.
PSX_20201129_191245.jpg
PSX_20201221_184058.jpg
PSX_20201221_184113.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author MadTaz for the post:
Keke (Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:37 pm)
15th year of ownership and still here :)
Goobie
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Goobie »

I got Pioneer in mine, perfect for what I want it for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Goobie for the post:
Keke (Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:37 pm)
Keke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Keke »

Thanks for all your suggestions, the pioneer looks to tick all the boxes, plus it's not crazy money,

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Bit of a thread resurrect, but before I go starting a new one... I'm considering a double din unit, but would ideally want an android one which can run RaceChrono, torque and the like...

Don't know if anyone has any experience at all, as the internet is littered with a shed load of Chinese ones for anything from £25 (lol) up to 300 quid for what ostensibly looks like the same thing...

Any thoughts, opinions and so forth appreciated.

I don't use the phone functionality, I find the stock Bose system adequate for my ears quality wise, but don't want some pile of garbage that sounds hideous.

Likewise being able to run the apps on the device itself is the main interest to me as then I can put my phone somewhere safe in the car.
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Interesting thought actually. I reckon you've got two options...

Find an "all in one" chinese tablet option that might work and has your functionality you want (like this sort of thing here, although can't assure the trim will look the same as the dash etc or fitment :-k or if it's running base android and has access to the play store/wherever you get the apps you need)

Or go for a fascia like the Metra 95-7515HG and find a standard 2Din aftermarket one that runs android. (also allows for easy HU swaps in future if you wanna change/upgrade) Only issue is I haven't seen it in stock for a while since I bought mine and CISCAR exports ran out of stock. Maybe a Connects2 fascia is in stock somewhere?)

Personally I don't have experience with the standalone android head units, only ones with android auto on them, so can't help much there - but i'd have thought you should aim for one with potential software updates in future, rather than some of the models that are released on an android OS that's a couple years out of date and doesn't receive any QOL updates. Will have a bit of a dig on the tinterwebs and see what I can come up with :thumleft:

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Another one to note is the use of steering wheel controls, because as soon as you leave the stock head unit in the dust, they become defunct without an adapter - something to keep in mind for if you aim for a head unit with a volume knob, or just live with touchscreen volume control versus getting an adapter :D there are cheaper ones available compared to what Ross and I now have (PAC RP4-MZ11), such as the Metra ASWC-1 and likely a bunch of others - so just a heads up :thumleft:

Naz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Naz »

I've had an Xtron Chinese unit in mine. Used it for satnav and dab mostly but was able to download apps as required.

Three things to note for the Xtron (and likely for all Chinese android units).

1 - the fascia is larger than a standard Metra kit. You can trim the Metra fascia or get a different facia off eBay to fit the Chinese size. This would be the preferred method for best finish and fitting as the Chinese fascia allows you to screw the headunit to the fascia for a good flush fit. Trimming the Metra supplied facia would likely leave a gap and the head unit would not sit flush.

2 - after some digging I worked out you can directly splice into the main wiring loom and hook up the steering controls on the Xtron and then teach the head unit which button is doing what. No steering control adapter required.

3 - no adapters were required for the Bose amps. Admittedly sound level 5 was loud enough as it's basically double amplified (head unit, then Bose), but it was fine for me and it worked without adapters when there's already such little space especially when the Metra bits go behind the head unit.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Thanks both, great points.

I hadn't actually seen that there were integrated units, so might stump for one of those and see how I go. The Connects2 is in stock on ebay in gloss, so could happily go for that, but the all in one options is still the front runner for me.

As far as volume goes, they actually changed the volume scaling on the R3, with a max of 60 - so might be better or worse, can't remember but think the S1 stereo goes to a lower number overall?

Also noticed that AliExpress offers a pretty robust 75 day refund policy so might just buy it, install it and if it's utter garbage go back to the stock and get a refund...
DOC 787B

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

My experience of chinese android stereos has been that they're slow (compared to response times you're used to on your phone) and are poorly made. Which is fair enough given the silly prices. But cutting corners on chips, memory, electrical and thermal insulation etc all have trade offs. I had the most expensive Pumpkin model and in hindsight it was a waste of money. Posted about it here: viewtopic.php?p=1284720#p1284720

Dan, Pioneer do a full android one for a very reasonable £429. If I was going that route again that's where I'd start my search. https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... 17110.html

My own solution was to get a very good head unit for audio, then just mount my phone next to it in a Brodit holder. Best of both worlds and secure on track.
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

I've bought it :lol: will see what it's like and report back :P

Ultimately I paid by PayPal so if it's a load of old rubbish I'll get my cash back :)
DOC 787B

New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

I sure it'll be fab! Forget I said anything ;) :getmecoat:
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Haha, to be honest I'm not expecting great things. The screen res isn't fantastic and it's probably going to be slow and clunky, but ultimately I'm not planning on running much on it.

Time will tell and I'm going in eyes wide open :lol:
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
HarSc (Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:58 pm)
DOC 787B

pfletcher83
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by pfletcher83 »

What are peoples thoughts on the metra kit?
I believe its pretty much the only option for the S1 and its something ive considered for quite a few years, but i keep reading that they are temperamental with the AC controls?
Is this still the case or have they improved them over the years?

Thanks

Paul
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

pfletcher83 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:41 am
I believe its pretty much the only option for the S1 and its something ive considered for quite a few years, but i keep reading that they are temperamental with the AC controls?

Thanks

Paul
For S1 radios, Metra is the only way to go realistically. There is a current project on the OC for an independent AC controller, but that's still in the works here.

Feedback for the Metra kit is often mixed, it's still clunky AFAIK with no major changes/improvements - but it's the only option. Most just put up with it, but there are a fair few people who have no issues. Main problem is just getting a hold of one.

That for sure is a massive advantage to the R3, since the radio and AC are separate entities, so it's easy peasy to do :D as many R3 owners have been thankful for, me included :twisted:

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:36 am
Haha, to be honest I'm not expecting great things. The screen res isn't fantastic and it's probably going to be slow and clunky, but ultimately I'm not planning on running much on it.

Time will tell and I'm going in eyes wide open :lol:
Be good to see how it goes and if you like it 8) - opens up another avenue for possibilities for R3 radios when people ask about it too :thumleft: lovely stuff :P

Naz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Naz »

pfletcher83 wrote:

Thanks

Paul
yes it's a bit clunky but only when changing the temperature. I really didn't find it bothered me as I only ever changed the temperature twice a year. Once when it got hot so I turned it down and once when it got cold I turned it up.

I can see it being a PITA if you change the temp every time you get in, but if like me it's a twice a year occurrence then it's not an issue at all.
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Naz wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:04 pm
pfletcher83 wrote:

Thanks

Paul
yes it's a bit clunky but only when changing the temperature. I really didn't find it bothered me as I only ever changed the temperature twice a year. Once when it got hot so I turned it down and once when it got cold I turned it up.

I can see it being a PITA if you change the temp every time you get in, but if like me it's a twice a year occurrence then it's not an issue at all.
Fair point there... Makes sense and probably works well doing it that way... Simple sacrifice for the benefit of a 2din.

I'm forever changing it up or down a couple of degrees like it makes a difference though so I'd fail that challenge hah! :lol: :lol:

pfletcher83
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by pfletcher83 »

Hmm, i dont alter the temp really just as you say to turn it down in the summer.
I do sometimes take it out of auto and adjust the fan speed though.
Do the de-mister buttons etc still work fine?

Ive just found the metra thread, i remember seeing that when RRP posted about possibly developing it but i missed the recent updates.
Sounding promising actually and i would def prefer to support something developed by members\OC than buying the metra, especially considering it has issues.

I may wait and get the OC version (ive already waited about 5 years anyway) - suspect there will be quite a bit of interest if it works well :thumleft: =D>
I know i would have jumped on the metra straight away if i hadn't read about its issues.

Paul
Naz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Naz »

only the things controlled by the dials have a lag. all other buttons work as they should, immediately.