Scrap or Rebuild please help

Place for discussions about the RX-8
njvr
Non Member
Non Member
Has thanked: 0

Scrap or Rebuild please help

Post by njvr »

My 2005 231 has been idle for 2 years and is completely unresponsive. Prior to this it had serious compression/starting issues so I resolved to have an engine rebuild and rust repaired etc. The the obvious happened.
3 Questions kind people.
1.) is there any point buying a new battery to see if she will start, thereupon I can move her to a lock up pending engine rebuild.
2). if so, what battery might give her the best chance to fire up? This should be reasonably cheap if possible as if she doesn't or cant be started, then the battery will be on eBay
3). is there any point trying 1 and 2 above as the terrible option is to scrap. She's perfect inside.
Many thanks to anyone that can advise. I probably never deserved an 8 as I am not mechanically minded, but she did run with only one replacement set of coils for 12 years (which I replaced myself, and was endlessly proud).
=D>
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Scrap or Rebuild please help

Post by 79398 »

How deep are your pockets?
If the car is important enough for you to restore then you are probably having to spend between 6- 8K or thereabouts depending on what you want it to be like finished.
Finished theres a word that doesn't go with rx8.
If it's not important to you but you want another then 3-4K will get a good one, very good one on here wish I could afford to buy.
If your budget is less than that you're probably not going to be happy with the car unless your masochistic.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Get a loan of a good battery and try starting her. Chances are she's flooded so if that's the case the best way to her going is a tow start.

When you say it had serious compression issues how serious are we talking? Had you a compression test done and if so what were the numbers?
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

could do with a bit more info really
if the car has just sat for 2 years I'd agree that you will need a new battery and I'd say to use this firm
https://www.tayna.co.uk/

as they are the cheapest around and will deliver it for 8 quid normally
this one will do the trick
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/enduroline/068/

if you are planning to keep it on there then go for one with as much CCA as you can that will fit in the space available

and chances are the fuel may be a bit stale too
13Black
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by 13Black »

How bad was/is the rust?
I assume if it was bad enough to warrant fixing 2 years ago then it's not going to be great now...

Around £2,500 for the engine to be rebuilt.
Probably around another grand for welding and painting, depending on what it's like, a lot of variance here.

It'd be easier to get more for your money just buying a well looked after car by the sounds of it - seems to be enough around where people have paid for an engine rebuild and then sell it on with little mileage on it - even it would need a little bodywork it's probably more economical doing it this way.

As for battery: a Varta E23 from Tayna is always a good shout.
If it doesn't work out then I'm sure someone on here would happily take it off your hands for 5 minutes worth of depreciation.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Making sure its well charged can`t you try another battery or even jump start from another car and after 2 years you will need fresh fuel in it.

Del
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

Hi,
Is there any life in the battery you have or can you get a battery with some life in it ?
I would just put a battery with some life in it on the car and tow start it down the road.
Battery doesn’t have to be brilliant with a tow start, first or second will fly the engine over.
Does the engine turn over at all ? Put a gallon of premium fuel in the tank first as well.
A good engine rebuild is probably around 2K so if the rest of the car is pretty good its worth it as it will last a few years after.
Where is your location as a member may be able to help ?
Regards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
njvr
Non Member
Non Member

Post by njvr »

Dear all that replied. Thanks so much. TBH I have my head in the sand on this one as I just loved this car ( I am sure you all know what I mean). It was painful to read the posts sounding like its going to be a very expensive repair job. Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. I'll get a batter y and try, and if she starts, do any of you know someone that might want her ? I live in Newcastle by the way.
These users thanked the author njvr for the post:
fishywick (Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:09 pm)
Calcifur83
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Copper Red

Post by Calcifur83 »

This is a tough spot to be in, one that I have found my self in recently. My RX8 has had a rebuilt engine, so that's not an issue, but the sills are badly rusted (to the point the jack went through them!!) as are the arches. So I was left with the decision to scrap or repair. As it turned out for me I was able to find a replacement car for cheap, that needs a little TLC, but critically isn't rusted beyond repair. SO for just over £600 delivered I now have a Project that will be able to use the good parts of my old car and I will sell/scrap the rest accordingly. Not an option for everyone, but helps to take the sting out of having to let your old pride and joy go.

just my 2p worth, good luck whatever way you go.. :thumright:
Gordon
2007 Copper Red Nemesis - Project £500 Nemesis
.....Loading.....

2006 Titanium Grey 192 - Now a Donor :(
Petit Racing Modular Exhaust
Tein S Lower Springs
K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
Markl17
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Markl17 »

Tough decision,but unless it is a member of the family I would scrap it and spend your money on a good one,as rust gets in lots of places you can not see 4000 pounds would get you a top notch s1 good luck with the decision.
Mark
These users thanked the author Markl17 for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:52 pm)
njvr
Non Member
Non Member

Post by njvr »

I think you are right Mark, so I've ordered a battery in the hope she starts and can be driven away. Who knows. Any suggestions as to where to look? Autotrader only has 20 for sale and most have issues.
Thanks,
J.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
njvr
Non Member
Non Member

Post by njvr »

Thanks Casey, that very helpful.
Johnny