Flat spot on Kuro 2

Place for discussions about the RX-8
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Flat spot on Kuro 2

Post by 30405 »

It helps heat the cat up on start up. I don't think it would do any damage to the cat so long as you make sure it gets hot in other ways (beep, beep) to burn of residue.

Once gone you'll need to map the engine light code out other wise it pops up every couple of starts. I can do that for you when we are freeeee

These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
goodeggbob (Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:46 pm)
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

Are there any performance,economy or longevity gains to be had by deleting air pump?
Rob :thumright:
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

goodeggbob wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:31 pm
Yes Alistair,i have piccies of the one i removed but will have to wait for my lad to upload them,being the dinosaur that i am.
As a matter of interest,what air the gains from having air pump delete,apart from weight and space? . As i managed to not break anything,i now have the choice of either or,instead of being forced into it, and is it true that you would only do a delete if running a decat,thanks,rob.
That would be great.

I may be able to upload pictures but I don;t have the skill to remove an SSV,

Just watched a couple of YouTube videos of it and am wondering if I ought to ask BigPete to pop the SSV out and clean it when I go and see him to fit the COF in the next month or so on my 192. If the air pump and other parts will need to be removed for the COF then it makes economic sense to ask him to do this at the same time.
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo

Post by qwakers »

goodeggbob wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:49 pm
Are there any performance,economy or longevity gains to be had by deleting air pump?
no measurable ones as far as i can tell...

however, one of the side effects is you can have the cold start map leaned out a lot, which makes it almost impossible to flood...
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

It makes no difference to how the engine runs, after the first few minutes after a cold start, or at any other time.

It could potentially help reduced internal wear by avoiding the rotary equivalent of "bore wash", if you could also prevent the over-rich mixture that's injected to produce the excess fuel that mixes with the secondary air in the cat.

However, the only related re-maps that I've seen are aimed at just suppressing the CEL's from the missing air pump, and the change of O2 sensor output expected.

In theory it could shorten the life of the cat, if you did a lot of cold starts, as it would not only not get the benefit of the pre-heat but it would be poisoned by the unburnt fuel.

Personally I would only do a SAS-delete if it was possible to the job completely; that is remove the hardware and the PCM behaviour that was using it, rather than just removing the hardware and suppressing the error codes.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
goodeggbob (Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:52 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

warpc0il wrote:It makes no difference to how the engine runs, after the first few minutes after a cold start, or at any other time.

It could potentially help reduced internal wear by avoiding the rotary equivalent of "bore wash", if you could also prevent the over-rich mixture that's injected to produce the excess fuel that mixes with the secondary air in the cat.

However, the only related re-maps that I've seen are aimed at just suppressing the CEL's from the missing air pump, and the change of O2 sensor output expected.

In theory it could shorten the life of the cat, if you did a lot of cold starts, as it would not only not get the benefit of the pre-heat but it would be poisoned by the unburnt fuel.

Personally I would only do a SAS-delete if it was possible to the job completely; that is remove the hardware and the PCM behaviour that was using it, rather than just removing the hardware and suppressing the error codes.
That’s interesting
Cheers ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

qwakers wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:58 pm
goodeggbob wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:49 pm
no measurable ones as far as i can tell...

however, one of the side effects is you can have the cold start map leaned out a lot, which makes it almost impossible to flood...
I could be wrong but I think that map isn't available in Mazda edit sadly as I went looking for it after I removed my air pump

happy to be proved otherwise though ;)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

There's "cold start" as in "starting the engine when it hasn't been running" and "cold start" when the ambient is sufficiently low to engage the Secondary Air System; the latter is a special case which is why you only normally hear the pump running on winter mornings.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob »

Hello all,went for a blast this morning and full power is now resumed,goes like stink. The only issue is a small coolant leak by the stat somewhere,hardly surprising given the amount of hoses in there. The upside is,i now know in which order to do things to get to it quickly.
Annoyingly i was toying with using jubilee clips but i realised i hadn't got enough to complete so used the spring clips again.
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

goodeggbob wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:28 am
Hello all,went for a blast this morning and full power is now resumed,goes like stink. The only issue is a small coolant leak by the stat somewhere,hardly surprising given the amount of hoses in there. The upside is,i now know in which order to do things to get to it quickly.
Annoyingly i was toying with using jubilee clips but i realised i hadn't got enough to complete so used the spring clips again.
Found this online last night - I am sure the doc is available in our archive but this was just stumbled upon.
Mazda_RX8_FE_TSB-01-019-08.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

I found the spring clips next to useless on the old hoses, I used decent jubilee clips when I changed my radiator, found I didn't have 1 big enough, so joined 2 together far more secure than the spring clips(which are essentially single use items)
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
goodeggbob (Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 am)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

PaulAV wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:35 am
I found the spring clips next to useless on the old hoses, I used decent jubilee clips when I changed my radiator, found I didn't have 1 big enough, so joined 2 together far more secure than the spring clips(which are essentially single use items)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9pc-Hose-Cla ... SwwpVcx0gq
These users thanked the author SmuttyHutty for the post:
goodeggbob (Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:44 am)
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

I think I used 36mm jubilee clamps joined as I had a bag of 10
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob »

This is what i found whilst i was trying to remove it. I actually got it to turn freely, But decided to replace it anyway with a spare that i had cleaned up previously. By removing it completely it gave me a chance to clean up the bore as well. Hope this helps.
Rob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

Eurgh! Did you use an engine degreaser to clean it?
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

What sort of mileage is on the car Rob?
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member

Post by goodeggbob »

The mileage is unknown on the engine as it was a donor bought to ressurect Kuro 2. Being parked up for a while hasn't helped though.
These users thanked the author goodeggbob for the post:
PaulAV (Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:45 am)