Place for discussions about the RX-8
crteezy
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 192
Colour: Crystal White

Fuel smell on startup

Post by crteezy »

When I sit and idle allowing my RX-8 to warm up, when I get into the cab it smells like fuel. What could be the reason? anything serious? I've seen in some forums people saying this happens due to a clogged cat, Can this be the case? If so what are the downsides of it other than the smell? Any other side effects?
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Re: Fuel smell on startup

Post by Delanor »

Firstly don`t be starting it if you have a fuel leak, there has been a recall due to leaks from the fuel tank has this been done on your car? if it has been done then it is also possible that doing the recall modification has now caused a fuel leak.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
crteezy
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 192

Post by crteezy »

Delanor wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:30 pm
Firstly don`t be starting it if you have a fuel leak, there has been a recall due to leaks from the fuel tank has this been done on your car? if it has been done then it is also possible that doing the recall modification has now caused a fuel leak.

Del.
Bought it last week and actually have no idea about it. I noticed the smell only on startup. While driving no smell
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Post by Delanor »

After having the recall done to prevent a fuel leak some owners have found that on filling the tank they now have a leak.

That may not be the case but you need to check if your car has been affected.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

Also don't idle the car to warm it up. As this is bad for the engine. Its possible the smell is actually normal or even due to a collapsed catalytic converter. But without more detail it's really hard to say. Also check the recalls the car may have via the MOT website at the bottom or by dropping Warpc0il a message with your VIN (he may appear shortly). As del has stated if the fuel recall has been done badly. Do not drive the car.
These users thanked the author Ollie for the post:
Ainmhidh (Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:55 pm)
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071