Place for discussions about the RX-8
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Passenger door lock

Post by Delanor »

I have just discovered the passenger door lock was not locking, the locking button is moving with the key fob but not quite enough to complete the full lock/unlock cycle, now it is more than likely through lack of use as that door is rarely used so has anyone had this happen before I start door panel removing?

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Re: Passenger door lock

Post by qwakers »

yup. add lube :) which does indeed mean taking the mech out and cleaning it and lubing it properly. no way around it.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

:whathesaid:

If you don't use it regularly it dries up and stops working... :roll:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Something I have been looking in to but has anyone got one of these motors that are surplus to requirement dead or alive its the motor that works the door actuator/lock I only want it to get the size of it as there are many replacement door motors available for various makes of car and it occurred to me that it might be of use if we can replace these if it is the cause of a locking failure rather than replace the whole assembly which will inevitably become in short supply in the future.

These motors are available from China and most cost just a few quid.

Del.
Actuator Inside Motor (2).jpg
Actuator Inside Motor.jpg
Door motor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
30405 (Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:12 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

I forgot our pm conversation about this! :oops:

I'll look tonight.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

If motor is struggling, check the cables to the inside door handle, as these can seize through lack of use.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Success! the passenger door is locking correctly again, as I suspected it wasn`t a lack of lubrication the motor was very weak hardly any power at all so I have had to replace the whole actuator assembly but now I have found a source of replacement motors although it is China so have ordered a couple @ £7 inc postage for a pair - we will see!

Del.
DSCN2059.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post (total 3):
30405 (Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:57 pm) • hachiroku (Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:20 pm) • warpc0il (Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:14 pm)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Well the two replacement door lock motors arrived it did take a couple of weeks from China but they are the correct replacement at the same time I decided to have a look why the original motor had failed with my car on such a low mileage. well it turned out the brushes and commutator were covered in a film of grease I don`t know where that had come from can only think someone had overdone it when assembling the motor I tried to degrease it but then I found the comm` was split as well so a replacement motor can go back in the lock actuator now, if the lock actuator fails there isn`t anything else other than the motor that would cause it to fail and £3.50 for a repair motor has got to be better than £150 for a new replacement!

Del.
DSCN2072.JPG
DSCN2071.JPG
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
30405 (Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:33 pm)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Could you do a little How To write-up, including details of the motors, to make life easier for those that have that issue in the future?

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
30405 (Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:33 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

Or is this a member service you are going to offer? 😁
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

My original plan was to do exactly that put together a how to do a repair as replacing the motor is easy enough as it just involves opening the the case remove the motor which just slots in then fit a replacement but whilst fault funding and taking mine apart the gearing in the mechanism has moved out of sync ' it's a few cogs, springs & levers that part is a bit complex but now I know it doesn't need to be touched but I need to reassemble it as it was and it's proving a bit of a challenge now. :-k

Del.